Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What does minister do? Wife says no more pastoring.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post What does minister do? Wife says no more pastoring. Texicanii
What does a minister do when his wife says no more?

When a pastors wife says I don't want to pastor anymore ,what does the pastor do?

Last edited by Texicanii on 1/14/14 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Friendly Face
1/13/14 1:51 pm

Post DHDRabbi
Family comes before ministry. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/13/14 1:56 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Take a vacation or even a sabbatical if possible. Pray, pray, pray. Fast and pray. Major decisions will have to be made. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/13/14 2:01 pm

Post Bro Bob
Greeeen acres is the place to be.... Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
1/13/14 6:36 pm

Post Look her square in the eye and say... roughridercog
Then in what fashion shall we serve God?

It may be the marriage that is over and not the idea of being a pastor's wife. They "pastor's wife" lifestyle may be just the tip of the iceberg.
1/13/14 6:42 pm

Post Wife 4golf
I am reminded of the story George Whitfield told of going to see John Wesley on night and looking through the window to see his wife dragging him by the hair through out the house. A joke was made that he and his wife couldn't even get along in death. He was buried on one side of the street and his wife on the other!. Praying for them.
1/13/14 8:18 pm

Post It's time to back out and make first things first .. Rafael D Martinez
If it's the wife who cannot stand ministry any longer, but wants the marriage to continue, some serious retreat for them is required.

The pastoral ministry, I'd say, would have some serious curtailing or changing to do - depending upon how antagonistic she is to his remaining in that estate.

I would say there's a lot more going in with them and/or her than meets the eye at that point. I'd say she's probably more apt to end the marriage.

That changes things completely then.

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
1/13/14 8:44 pm

Post philunderwood
Professional Christian Counseling before ANY life-changing decisions are made. This pastor should validate his wife's feelings and completely agree he will quit if it becomes necessary once she and he have had time to process, discuss and evaluate what has brought about this impasse in her heart.

Discover More...
http://www.refocusing.org

A Mission in Formation
www.bluewaterinthekeys.com
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
1/13/14 9:01 pm

Post bradfreeman
Show her she's more important than that form of ministry.
Love her and understand her.
Give yourself for her.

Pray for her heart to be in whatever you guys do.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
1/13/14 9:02 pm

Post My Calling Allen King
My calling is to be
first- a Christ follower,
second- a husband,
third- a father,
fourth- a minister,
fifth- a pastor.
1/13/14 9:09 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
What about when a pastor's wife tells her husband he has to choose between her and God?

For example, the wife tells the husband he cannot continue to follow God's calling on his life and remain married to her, and that to remain married to her, he must quit pastoring for good? That she'll divorce him otherwise?

I have known of cases precisely like that. Does a pastor in such a case have to obey his wife's ultimatum (because "family comes before ministry") even if it involves disobeying God?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/13/14 9:46 pm

Post Bro Bob
I am not a minister, and was not called to be one. I have asked various men who were called to tell me about that. Every one I have ever asked had his own unique story, and could tell me the exact time and place and circumstances.

My father. My grandfather. At least a dozen others. And my wife and I are both very glad I was never called.

The situation described in the opening post is dire. I get that. Details are missing. I get that. I ask myself, what if she had a severe illness, needed too much of his time and attention for him to be able to continue in his calling? Wouldn't it be ok with God, then? And if that is ok, then isn't her being burnt out in her role of pastor's wife the same thing?

But what does Mark 10:28-31 (just after the rich young ruler) say? Christ's words. No commentary on my part at all.

What if Noah's wife had said, "Look, Noah, it's me or the boat? I am sick of the ridicule. I am sick of you spending all your time on that stupid boat. You could be working to provide for your family like everyone else does. Why can't you just be a normal husband?"

If it is a hypothetical, I could make a much better case than I will here. One gets the feeling this is for real. My heart goes out to any man who has been faithful to his calling and now faces this. A time-out to figure things out and make a plan that saves the marriage while keeping any promise he has made to God is certainly in order.

My prayers for God's mercy and blessing on you and your ministry and your entire family situation are going up before I sleep tonight, whoever you are.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
1/13/14 11:26 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Choosing to not "do" ministry in a particular manner (pastoral ministry) because your spouse feels they cannot do it is not choosing "against God." She is not asking your curse God and reject your faith. She is saying she cannot do pastoral ministry.

I realize that. I am saying that not all of these scenarios fit into the same neat black-and-white category. The cases I am referring to were as I described; an ultimatum to choose either God's calling or the wife's demands. It was not simply a question of the wife feeling burned out or overwhelmed and needing a change of pace or a change in type of ministry. She rebelled against God first, and then tried to manipulate her husband to follow her in rebellion against God. And to hear some tell it, the husband should have just bowed to the wife's demands, no matter how unreasonable and ungodly.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/14/14 12:09 am

Post You is used below generically Poimen
If she needs the break, then take it and minister to her. If it is something else, or something more, then let her know you are willing to step aside for an interim period to work though it if possible, but that you must not forsake the call of God and will need to return to active pursuit of His calling.

Do not fail your wife for your ministry. Do not fail God and His call for your wife. Beyond that the details will require the wisdom, grace, and guidance only He, and those He has placed (or will place) in your life, can give to help you navigate.

On a personal note, as a minister with a wife who suffers from bi-polar disorder, I can relate to this issue and struggle all to well.

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."

Last edited by Poimen on 1/14/14 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/14/14 5:43 am

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post bradfreeman
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
She rebelled against God first, and then tried to manipulate her husband to follow her in rebellion against God. And to hear some tell it, the husband should have just bowed to the wife's demands, no matter how unreasonable and ungodly.

You should re-read the OP. Then you'll see just how much negativity you're reading into it. Rebellion against God? Manipulation of her husband? Neither is there.

"I don't want to pastor any more".

Unreasonable? Ungodly? Demands? Harsh conclusions to draw with no information whatsoever. Regardless, her husband should lay his life down for his bride and honor his vows...unless there was something in the vows like this: "...for better, for worse or until one of us gets tired of pastoring."

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
1/14/14 6:35 am

Post Link
Does she say it just once? Maybe a chocolate bar, back rub, and a good night's sleep will change her mind. Sometimes a woman might say something like that because that's how she feels at the moment, not because that is something she is really committed to. Some things are said in the heat of the moment. If she keeps saying it and she's serious about it, it may be time for a break for a while and focus on the family and the affairs of the household in order.

Resigning the next day after one conversation would be foolish.

I was thinking of a married couple I know where the husband has made lots and lots of mistakes. But the wife is very hard to get along with. She once told him by phone it was over and she never wanted to see him again. So he found another woman right away and had an affair. It was over, he thought, so he had an affair. Now that's bad morality, but it was also foolish of him to think if his wife said something like that, it was necessarily true. I'm also thinking of a newlywed man who was going to file for divorce because his wife told him in an argument that she didn't love him anymore and she wanted a divorce. That's hurtful and serious, but even so, sometimes it's wiser to take this stuff as her talking about how she feels at the moment rather than a life decision she has made.

Last edited by Link on 1/14/14 6:55 am; edited 3 times in total
Acts-perienced Poster
1/14/14 6:45 am

Post Poimen
bradfreeman wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
She rebelled against God first, and then tried to manipulate her husband to follow her in rebellion against God. And to hear some tell it, the husband should have just bowed to the wife's demands, no matter how unreasonable and ungodly.

You should re-read the OP. Then you'll see just how much negativity you're reading into it. Rebellion against God? Manipulation of her husband? Neither is there.

"I don't want to pastor any more".

Unreasonable? Ungodly? Demands? Harsh conclusions to draw with no information whatsoever. Regardless, her husband should lay his life down for his bride and honor his vows...unless there was something in the vows like this: "...for better, for worse or until one of us gets tired of pastoring."

Brad,

I think you have misread Wyatt. He is talking about the same issue, but in a different scenario, on a much more serious level. He is not talking about the same scenario or couple as the OP. At least as I read it. =/

There is a point where forsaking one's call to ministry is tantamount to forsaking/disobeying/displeasing God. There is a point where putting God first can and will mean putting your family 2nd, and practically speaking "doing ministry" 1st -- as service unto the Lord.

I don't think the scenario in the OP is necessarily such a situation. Nevertheless, they do exist. God help any who finds themselves in such a situation to have the wisdom and grace needed to come through it with Christlikeness.

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
1/14/14 6:46 am

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Quiet Wyatt
Brad,

I am not reading anything into the opening post. I am bringing up a distinct scenario, which many will lump together into the same category as the opening post, unfortunately reading a whole lot of negativity into it with little information, effectively blaming the husband who has truly done all he can to hold his marriage together with a wife who has become completely unwilling to yield her will to God's will any more.

I do agree that in both scenarios, time needs to be taken off from active ministry, for the good of all involved.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/14/14 7:52 am

Post Pastoring is tough... wayne
...at times. It can be very hard on the wife and children. I have made a very conscious effort to pay close attention to my wife and children through our pastorate. I refuse to expect too much out of them because I know they already feel that pressure. I purposefully make time for them - even to go get pancakes at 3 in the morning.(I know that's not good for a heart patient) I do this to make sure they know husband/dad is available.
If my wife came to me and said she didn't want to pastor anymore, I'd ask for time away from church/pastorate, take a vacation, seek counseling and then if she still wanted to quit pastoring - I would quit.
I chose her, I chose to love her, I chose to protect her, I chose her until we die. "let no one split apart what God has joined together." Mark 10:9
Acts Enthusiast
1/14/14 8:21 am

Post Perhaps? Aaron Scott
When someone says that they don't want to pastor any longer, what they likely mean is this: "I don't want to pastor LIKE THIS any longer."

It may be time to change the process. Or to change churches.

But it is never time to stop walking in your calling. But there is always time to proceed using greater wisdom, etc. It might be just the thing that will help a wife recover her balance.
1/14/14 9:00 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.