Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Your Opinion: The most misused Scriptures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Patrick Harris
diakoneo wrote:
DHDRabbi wrote:
Probably the one and only scripture that folks quote about church attendance: Hebrews 10:25

So, how is this misused?

How about the "saints" that say you should be in service everytime the door is open?

Or...

That church attendance is required based on this scripture.

It's quite easy for Christians to assemble together without a 10am Sunday morning church service.
Acts Enthusiast
12/10/13 3:15 pm

Post Bro Bob
To be absent from the body IS to be present with the Lord. Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
12/10/13 4:59 pm

Post Link
diakoneo wrote:
DHDRabbi wrote:
Probably the one and only scripture that folks quote about church attendance: Hebrews 10:25

So, how is this misused?

How about the part that is ignored 'but exhort one another.' Many people take that to mean sit and be exhorted.
12/10/13 9:15 pm

Post Link
How about "Will a man rob God?"
12/10/13 9:23 pm

Post Re: Your Opinion: The most misused Scriptures Tracy S Hamilton
John Stevenson wrote:
I'm writing a new Bible Study series about the most commonly misused Bible scriptures. Any suggestions?

I think the proverb that says.... "Train up a child in the way that he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it...."

We often forget the remainder and the context of it. It it in relation to finances.... here is the remainder..

"for the rich rules of the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender."
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
12/10/13 9:53 pm

Post diakoneo
Patrick Harris wrote:
diakoneo wrote:
DHDRabbi wrote:

So, how is this misused?

How about the "saints" that say you should be in service everytime the door is open?

Or...

It's quite easy for Christians to assemble together without a 10am Sunday morning church service.

Agreed, but how do we define "assembling ourselves together" if not church attendance? I think the key phrase is "not forsaking"...or the refusal to assemble due to any one of many factors which are related to lack of love for the body of Christ.

I think the term is definitely misused, I just wanted to see how some think it is.

Most church members would be surprised at how many pastors who don't go to church somewhere when on vacation Smile
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/10/13 10:03 pm

Post diakoneo
how about, "the Lord works in mysterious ways." Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/10/13 10:04 pm

Post diakoneo
diakoneo wrote:
how about, "the Lord works in mysterious ways."

Check the chapter and verse and get back to me on that Question
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/10/13 10:06 pm

Post Ventureforth
Link wrote:
How about 'Behold, I stand at the door and knock.'

The passage is written to a church, but many preachers use it to say that you get saved by 'asking Jesus into your heart.'

Does it only apply to the church of Laodecia? Or does the "anyone" in Rev. 3:20 simply include them?
I would agree that "asking Jesus into you heart" might be a little confusing for some.
Acts-celerater
12/11/13 1:16 am

Post Link
Proverbs 29:18
Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.

People use that to mean a man-made vision, an idea of where they are going. But,

Proverbs 29:18
Where there is no prophetic vision the people cast off restraint, but blessed is he who keeps the law.
(ESV)
12/11/13 2:36 am

Post dolfan
Pretty much the whole of Romans 9.

Lots of nuggets of misuse in there.

v. 15 "I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." This gets applied by critics of God as caprice, arbitrariness. By some Reformed people and Missionary Baptists as evidence (along with so much of the chapter) of "double predestination". And, it is neither!

v. 16 "So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God who has mercy." Again, "double predestination" folks use this to argue that God elects from eternity past who will go to hell and who will be saved. (I'm not saying here that He doesn't, but I'm saying you can't get that from this passage.) And, our hyper-grace friends will point to this verse as evidence that "it isn't what you do but it is what you believe". It does not stand for that, either. Actually, it doesn't stand for anything by itself. Part of Paul's much larger argument in Romans 9-11, which embeds between the end of his point in chapter 8 and the greater point beginning in chapter 12 that applies to the Jew and the Gentile.

vv.19-24 -- same re: Reformed/Missionary Baptist "double predestination" folks.
Friendly Face
12/11/13 3:22 pm

Post DHDRabbi
diakoneo wrote:
Patrick Harris wrote:
diakoneo wrote:
DHDRabbi wrote:

So, how is this misused?

Or...

Agreed, but how do we define "assembling ourselves together" if not church attendance? I think the key phrase is "not forsaking"...or the refusal to assemble due to any one of many factors which are related to lack of love for the body of Christ.

I think the term is definitely misused, I just wanted to see how some think it is.

Most church members would be surprised at how many pastors who don't go to church somewhere when on vacation Smile

Like was mentioned, it doesn't have to mean church attendance. If I invite you to meet with me and you refuse, you are forsaking our assembling together. Preachers are so desperate to come up with scripture that demands church attendance and this is all they got.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/11/13 3:26 pm

Post Ventureforth
Carolyn Smith wrote:
1 Corinthians 10:13

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able ; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

People frequently say, "God won't put more on you than you can bear," but this scripture is actually talking about temptation.

I agree "God won't put more on you" is a poor translation. It's probably true but it is not what the scripture is saying. In another place, scripture says God doesn't do the tempting so He wouldn't "put more on you." (whatever that means) But as far as the temptation in this verse, the NIV has a footnote that "temptation" could also mean "testing." And Strong's Concordance seems to bear this out. The way I'm reading the context, I think it could be either "temptation" or "testing."

As far as misused scripture, what about the scripture, "they shall take up serpents..." I don't know if you can classify it as most used though.
Acts-celerater
12/12/13 12:45 am

Post Bishopinsc
John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

This verse is used to teach, if we praise God, people will be drawn to Him. While this concept may be true, this is not what this verse is teaching as the context bears out:

John 12:33 This he said, signifying what death he should die.
12/12/13 12:58 am

Post bigchurchmouse
I heard a minister say that the scripture that said "if I (Jesus) be lifted up, I will draw all men unto me" was referring to Jesus hanging on the cross. The minister said that when we sing choruses about lifting Jesus up or lifting Him higher we are saying we want to put him back on the cross to die again. Thoughts, anyone? Golf Cart Mafia Capo
12/12/13 4:08 pm

Post Ventureforth
bigchurchmouse wrote:
I heard a minister say that the scripture that said "if I (Jesus) be lifted up, I will draw all men unto me" was referring to Jesus hanging on the cross. The minister said that when we sing choruses about lifting Jesus up or lifting Him higher we are saying we want to put him back on the cross to die again. Thoughts, anyone?

My thoughts are that people who are saying they are "lifting up Jesus" do not have to be using it in the context of this verse. Many times "Lift up" is very similar in usage to words like "exhalt."

Here is another verse:
Quote:
..visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me..Exodus 20:5-6

The old generational curse.
Here's a good article by John Piper on the subject:
http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/taste-see-articles/does-god-visit-the-sins-of-the-fathers-on-the-children
Acts-celerater
12/13/13 1:30 am

Post Nick Park
One commonly misused Scripture is Psalm 122:6 - "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem".

If you read the whole of the Psalm you see that the reason why the Psalmist exhorted people to pray for the peace of Jerusalem was because that was there the Temple was.

Of course today the Temple isn't in Jerusalem - yet the verse is commonly quoted as if it were a command to all Christians to pray for the nation state of Israel.

Btw - I do believe we are right to pray for Israel - but it is poor hermeneutics to use this verse out of context as a proof text for the practice.

http://eaiseanchai.wordpress.com/
Acts Enthusiast
12/13/13 3:30 pm

Post Bro Bob
Quote:
Matthew 7(KJV)

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

I did not hear him, but have heard it reported that when asked about same sex marriage, Pope Francis asked, "Who am I to judge?"

I would hope that he means, "Who am I to judge those who have rejected God? God will do that."

In fact, it is impossible for anyone to admonish a Christian that "we are not to judge" without having already judged the Christian themselves! It is foolishness, and ignores all the rest of scripture concerning when and how we ARE to judge, not people, but whether a thing or an action or a doctrine is righteous.

Getting ready for this one in my SS class this Sunday. Any helpful input will be appreciated.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
12/13/13 4:10 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Paying attention to the context of both the preceding chapters as well as the rest of Matthew ch. 7, it becomes abundantly clear that Jesus in 7:1 most definitely was NOT saying, "Never criticize anyone for any reason at all in any instance, and never ever point out anyone else's sins and shortcomings." [Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/13/13 4:36 pm

Post bradfreeman
Bro Bob wrote:
Getting ready for this one in my SS class this Sunday. Any helpful input will be appreciated.

Proverbs 10:12 and 1 Peter 4:8 say love covers a multitude (Proverbs says "all") sin.

Galatians 6:1 says we should view those we might judge with meekness and a loving eye toward restoration.

The only crowd Jesus was harsh toward was the religious crowd who placed heavy religious burdens on people, mistreated the poor and neglected justice, mercy and faith. Seems He offered a woman caught in the act of adultery forgiveness and no condemnation without her even asking. Seems He offered another woman who'd been married 5 times and was shacked up with man number 6 a drink of living water without asking her to move out first. Seems He offered a Democrat (a tax collector - Laughing ) a position in His entourage.

Jesus forgave people's sins many times in the Gospels. They never even had to ask. This should be our heart when we are tempted to be harsh, critical or mean.

Our response to faults, should be love, forgiveness, meekness and no condemnation.

We should definitely keep a lookout for those who would bind heavy religious burdens on people, strive for recognition and neglect justice mercy and faith. Jesus didn't have a stomach for the "whitewashed tomb" crowd that looked good on the outside, but had unsaved hearts.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
12/14/13 7:47 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.