Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Does 3 John 2 Guarantee Prosperity for All?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Mark Hardgrove
No. That is a common way of ending a letter, a general desire by the writer for the well being of the recipient and there are examples of a very similar close in secular letters written during that period. While I believe the entire Word of God is inspired (including Romans 16:22) I also understand that epistles are technically letters and follow the same rules of letter writing during that period. To take a general complimentary close and turn it into a full-blown doctrine of wealth and health is misguided at best, and wanton distortion at worst.
Dean & VP for Academics at BHU
http://www.beulah.org/
Acts-celerater
11/6/13 7:03 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Mark Hardgrove wrote:
To take a general complimentary close and turn it into a full-blown doctrine of wealth and health is misguided at best, and wanton distortion at worst.

A heap is misguided, a few is wanton distortion.

Real good post, Dr. (Now see, the ole timer don't have a bit a problem callin folk "Dr." what earned it an when the school was real) Wink
Acts-pert Poster
11/6/13 8:32 am

Post bradfreeman
Will you call me doctor? Laughing

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
11/6/13 8:38 am

bradfreeman wrote:

Shore will, Brad. If ya earned it an the school is legitimately accredited. Otherwise, sorry, no can do--it wouldn't be ethical.
Acts-pert Poster
11/6/13 8:24 pm

Post bradfreeman
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
bradfreeman wrote:

Shore will, Brad. If ya earned it an the school is legitimately accredited. Otherwise, sorry, no can do--it wouldn't be ethical.

Thanks! Juris Doctorate from the University of Louisville!
This is gonna be great! Cool

Acts-dicted
11/6/13 10:16 pm

Post Ventureforth
Mark Hardgrove wrote:
No. That is a common way of ending a letter, a general desire by the writer for the well being of the recipient and there are examples of a very similar close in secular letters written during that period. While I believe the entire Word of God is inspired (including Romans 16:22) I also understand that epistles are technically letters and follow the same rules of letter writing during that period.

That's interesting. So John might have been rephrasing a secular close. I suspect "even as your soul prospers" wasn't in the secular letters. Would you agree? I imagine Gaius might have been familiar with the popular secular close and John put a Christian twist to it. I'm also thinking that John wasn't totally opposed to the content of the close when reframed in a Christian context. However, I haven't read any closes from the period.

Mark Hardgrove wrote:
To take a general complimentary close and turn it into a full-blown doctrine of wealth and health is misguided at best, and wanton distortion at worst.

Do you believe present day Christians should be applying anything from the verse to their lives ?
Acts-celerater
11/7/13 12:38 am

bradfreeman wrote:
bradfreeman wrote:

Thanks! Juris Doctorate from the University of Louisville!
This is gonna be great! Cool

Only problem, here, brad, ifn its true, is at oddly enuff an all, the Juris Doctorate is one a the few doctoral degrees where it aint customary to use the title Dr. Juxtaposed to the DMin/DTS/DRS/EdD or PhD/ThD, fer whatever reason, the JD isn't usually accompanied with the title Dr., even though it is a doctorate. Now the ole timer has got to appropriate common usage of the standard nomenclature in a given discipline an all. So while I got deep respect fer ya JD, certainly a legitimate doctoral degree==nothing akin to the silly honary degrees seen scattered abroad throughout the religious landscape==the JD typically don't carry the title Dr in common usage.

BTW, what was the title a ya dissertation?
How many pages was it?
How many sources in ya bibliography?

Son, now I know why you so argumentative (in a good way), its all at lawyer trainin. Cool
Acts-pert Poster
11/7/13 6:39 am

Post bradfreeman

Shucks! I thought you said you would, "if ya earned it"...not "if'n ya earned it and if'n it is customary". Cool

I had a feelin' there'd be a "problem". Laughing

It's especially disappointing since I've also got my "Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology" from the school of hard knocks here on the preacher-board.

Acts-dicted
11/7/13 7:32 am

bradfreeman wrote:

Shucks! I thought you said you would, "if ya earned it"...not "if'n ya earned it and if'n it is customary". Cool

I had a feelin' there'd be a "problem". Laughing

It's especially disappointing since I've also got my "Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology" from the school of hard knocks here on the preacher-board.

Hey, you got a legitimate JD brad, if what ya posted is true an not jest, vbut hey, the ole timer cant help it aint standard practice to reference a JD as Dr. Freeman. Hey, an far as at honary ya toutin, son, its worthlesslesslesslesslessless, ad infinitum, ad nauseam, an all. Wink
Acts-pert Poster
11/7/13 9:12 am

Post Employ logic.... spartanfan
If a true disciple of Jesus the Master (John) who is in the image and likeness of the Master Himself wishes (hopes and desires) for another brother in the Lord that he would prosper and be in health even as his soul prospers.... then I'm thinking that John's wishes are consistent with the hopes and desires of the Master for the brother. I can't logically think that John would be wanting something for the brother that is inconsistent with what Jesus wants for him.

There for to all of you- my Actscelerate friends- My hope, wish and desire for you is that you will prosper financially (have everything you need to do everything that God wants you to do) and prosper physically (be in good health) as you continue to do the most excellent thing (which is to grow in grace and in the knowledge of the Lord as you are being conformed into the image of the Master).

I do wish financial, physical and spiritual prosperity for each of you. And I don't belittle any of you for wishing it upon anyone else - especially those who are of the household of faith.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
11/9/13 9:21 pm

Post The poor doyle
Wasn't it Jesus who said, "The poor you have with you always?"

Doyle
11/12/13 4:59 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.