Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Generational curses, help me understand
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Generational curses, help me understand JLarry
As Christians we are under the New Covenant. In the Old Law there are Scriptures (Ex. 34:7, Lam 5:7) that relate to curses that are handed down from generations.

Then there is another Scripture that gives a powerful promise. Deut 7:9 Know therefore that the Lord your God, He is God, the faithful God, who keeps His covenant and His lovingkindness to a thousandth generation with those who love Him and keep His commandments; NASB

IMO, under the New Covenant the "generational curses" do not apply.

However the medical community says we are, or at least have a good chance of being what our parents are or were. Maybe the human body is different from other generational curses. Here is where I need help.

No male in my Fathers family has lived to be over 64 years old for three generations. Dad, dad died in his 50's. Dad died at 64 his only brother died at 63. My older brother died at 55 one cousin died at 45 one at 52. Other than my grand-father all died as a result of heart disease. At 63, I am the oldest surviving male in my generation.

Recently my friend, a retired AG pastor who is 83 attended my church. I introduced him and told my folks I hoped to live to be an old man and I wanted my friend to preach my funeral.

My wife's family has a history of cancer. Her sister, mother and niece died of cancer.

I do not accept a curse. Jesus bore the stripes on His body for my healing. If there is such a "curse" I am trusting the Lord to reverse it. I refuse to sit around expecting to die before my 65th birthday.

"...Ask and you shall receive that your joy may be filled" Jn. 16:24
Acts Mod
10/8/13 9:34 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Whenever folks ask me about 'generational curses,' I tell them they can have them if they want them, but I choose to say that in Christ I'm free indeed.

That said, I do think it's clear that until we receive our perfected, glorified bodies, things like cause and effect and genetics certainly still affect us. For instance, I have inherited certain diseases (gout, severe allergies, asthma) and tendencies (obesity, depression, and alcoholism), which, if I don't follow my doctor's recommendations, still have the power to impact my life and longevity quite negatively. Jesus set me completely free from alcoholism 23 years ago, but if I just wanted to be stupid, I could turn back to it, ruin my life and die young and miserable. That would be a terrible curse indeed, both to me and to my wife and kids.

I also inherited a tendency towards depression, which I have learned how to walk in victory over without medication for many years now. I've learned that I am in control over what I fix my thoughts upon, and that I simply have to renew my mind through worship and praising the Lord Jesus in all things, setting my mind on things above by meditating on the word of God day and night.

Like I said, I could go back to the cursed life I once lived under if I wanted to. I just don't want to, praise God!
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/8/13 10:12 am

Post Randy Johnson
Larry, my great-grandfather on my dad's side lived to be over 90. He was a drinker and a coal miner and a mean old man.

His son, my grandfather, lived to be 74, and he was a farmer, coal miner, smoker, drinker, womanizer (he was married 7 times) and also a mean old man.

My dad is now 83. He drank up until about 20 years ago, never smoked, was only married twice, worked as a construction supervisor and land surveyor, and is just now beginning to feel the effects of old age (weakness in the eyes, legs, etc.). 0

I am 56, never smoked, never drank, and have been married to the same woman for 34 years, but I ate too much of the wrong things and didn't get enough exercise. I've had two heart attacks, bypass surgery, and a total of five stents placed in my heart.

My dad may very well outlive me, and if he does, it's mostly my fault. But my point is there is only a limited amount of faith we can or should put in family history and genetics. They are factors to be sure, but they aren't the final factor. God's purpose for you in your generation is the final factor. If you do what you can do, like following the advice Eddie Robbins gives for a healthy lifestyle, and trust God, you don't have to fear your family's track record for male longevity.

In fact, the devil would like to captivate your mind with fear and dread over your approaching birthday, but you don't have to let him put you under fear or oppression. Get promises from the Word like, "I shall not die but live, and proclaim the glory of the Lord," and start speaking them out loud every time the devil comes against you with thoughts of an early death. It isn't magic, but it will remind you of the truth that can set you free, and it will encourage your faith.
Ickesburg, Pennsylvania
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/8/13 12:02 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Whenever folks ask me about 'generational curses,' I tell them they can have them if they want them, but I choose to say that in Christ I'm free indeed.

That said, I do think it's clear that until we receive our perfected, glorified bodies, things like cause and effect and genetics certainly still affect us. For instance, I have inherited certain diseases (gout, severe allergies, asthma) and tendencies (obesity, depression, and alcoholism), which, if I don't follow my doctor's recommendations, still have the power to impact my life and longevity quite negatively. Jesus set me completely free from alcoholism 23 years ago, but if I just wanted to be stupid, I could turn back to it, ruin my life and die young and miserable. That would be a terrible curse indeed, both to me and to my wife and kids.

I also inherited a tendency towards depression, which I have learned how to walk in victory over without medication for many years now. I've learned that I am in control over what I fix my thoughts upon, and that I simply have to renew my mind through worship and praising the Lord Jesus in all things, setting my mind on things above by meditating on the word of God day and night.

Like I said, I could go back to the cursed life I once lived under if I wanted to. I just don't want to, praise God!

Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/8/13 12:05 pm

Post c6thplayer1
My take is that cancer or other medical imperfections are not a curse but rather a process of medical physics passed through genetics of the human reproduction system.

Heres an example of what I would call a generational curse.

I know of a family whom lives in dire poverty while the husband of the family enjoys spending all of his welfare on himself. He will eat at restaurants while his family has nothing. The family is constantly receiving help from all of the area churches. Dishonesty runs rampant in the entire family.

One instance , The family received a sum of money to pay their electric bill and was told that the church expected to be paid back. On the way out of the meeting the wife told her husband that she was not paying nothing back to these people and was overheard.

Their children are starting down the same path. The Fathers Father of
this family has the same story as does the grandfather. A common denominator of the family tree is that no one works and all have excuses as to why they don't.

IMO , from the grandfather down comes a generational curse of poverty because of the deceit , laziness and dishonesty.
10/8/13 12:42 pm

Post A big issue I have with generational curse teaching bonnie knox
In most of the verses that I'm aware of that are used as prooftexts for teaching generational curses, the verses are describing punishment.
For example, Exodus 34:7 says "he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.”
Of course, it should be plain to us that this is no longer in effect: (Ezekiel 18:1-4)The word of the Lord came unto me again, saying,

2 What mean ye, that ye use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge?

3 As I live, saith the Lord God, ye shall not have occasion any more to use this proverb in Israel.

4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

However, those who are teaching generational curses do not seem to be speaking of punishment even though they love to quote Exodus 34:7. Are they seriously saying God punishes a drunkard by making his son a drunkard? Absurd!
There are things that are passed on genetically, and because all mankind is subject to the Fall, I suppose you could could say it is a "curse," but to me, that imbues it with spiritual overtones where there are none.
Then there is learned behaviour. I believe the example that c6thplayer cited above is an example of learned behaviour.
My own pastor tried to argue to me that statistics backed up his theory of divorce being a generational curse. ~sigh~
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/8/13 2:08 pm

Post Re: A big issue I have with generational curse teaching Randy Johnson
bonnie knox wrote:
In most of the verses that I'm aware of that are used as prooftexts for teaching generational curses, the verses are describing punishment.
For example, Exodus 34:7 says "he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.”
Of course, it should be plain to us that this is no longer in effect: (Ezekiel 18:1-4)The word of the Lord came unto me again, saying,

2 What mean ye, that ye use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge?

3 As I live, saith the Lord God, ye shall not have occasion any more to use this proverb in Israel.

4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

However, those who are teaching generational curses do not seem to be speaking of punishment even though they love to quote Exodus 34:7. Are they seriously saying God punishes a drunkard by making his son a drunkard? Absurd!
There are things that are passed on genetically, and because all mankind is subject to the Fall, I suppose you could could say it is a "curse," but to me, that imbues it with spiritual overtones where there are none.
Then there is learned behaviour. I believe the example that c6thplayer cited above is an example of learned behaviour.
My own pastor tried to argue to me that statistics backed up his theory of divorce being a generational curse. ~sigh~

Generational curses is one in a long list of Charismatic TV preacher pop theologies that keep the crowds interested and the money flowing in.

Simple discipleship and perservering in the face of suffering and putting to death the sinful nature is too dull and boring. Can't build an audience on that!

BUT!

Generational curses? Oh, yeah! If I have one of those maybe I can get on TV too with one of these big time deliverance evangelists and have hands laid on me, fall down in the spirit in front of thousands of TV viewers, and have a story to impress my church friends with for months to come.
Ickesburg, Pennsylvania
10/8/13 2:30 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
Generational curses is one in a long list of Charismatic TV preacher pop theologies that keep the crowds interested and the money flowing in.

And these pop theologies trickle down, and I hear people in my church referencing them as if they were canonized scripture. I'm often at a loss as to how to respond.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/8/13 2:39 pm

Post Randy your comment is interesting JLarry
You wrote:
Quote:
In fact, the devil would like to captivate your mind with fear and dread over your approaching birthday, but you don't have to let him put you under fear or oppression. Get promises from the Word like, "I
Quote:
shall not die but live, and proclaim the glory of the Lord
," and start speaking them out loud every time the devil comes against you with thoughts of an early death. It isn't magic, but it will remind you of the truth that can set you free, and it will encourage your faith.

A well known international evangelist quoted that very verse to my brother. He added, "you will go through a major medical procedure but you will live and not die and proclaim the works of God".

A year or two later Jerry had a heart transplant. He never preached after that and died in 2004 three years after the transplant.

Part of the prophesy came to pass.
Acts Mod
10/8/13 3:21 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

And these pop theologies trickle down, and I hear people in my church referencing them as if they were canonized scripture. I'm often at a loss as to how to respond.

My blessed goodness, both Randy an Bonnie done hit the nail on the head. Its bein preached by charismaniacs an the gullible in pentacostal churches will believe most anything. Sad! Frustratin! But true!

Now, on the matter a them generational curses, if the blood a the good Lord aint no stronger than to save/redeem/deliver folk from some sin their great grandpoppa was committin, then Jesus aint worth servin. Ahhhh, but my good book says I done been redeemed from the curse.
Acts-pert Poster
10/8/13 5:59 pm

Post Brandon Bowers
I see generational curses more as a social phenomena, based in a lack of education or refusal to live right, but not a plight of the devil.
10/8/13 10:44 pm

Post Cojak
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

My blessed goodness, both Randy an Bonnie done hit the nail on the head. Its bein preached by charismaniacs an the gullible in pentacostal churches will believe most anything. Sad! Frustratin! But true!

Now, on the matter a them generational curses, if the blood a the good Lord aint no stronger than to save/redeem/deliver folk from some sin their great grandpoppa was committin, then Jesus aint worth servin. Ahhhh, but my good book says I done been redeemed from the curse.

Shocked I agree with you here. Both with Bonnie and Randy. Good observation (for an old guy) Wink
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/8/13 11:56 pm

Post Typical spiritualizing Rafael D Martinez
It's trendy to use spiritual verbiage that explains everything around us and ties it up in a nice, neat package where we can store them in the compartments of our memory and reason. We love to assign a label upon the complex and enigmatic in our lives that sounds as if it's all explained with a thought stopping cliche that completely explains the issues and pretty much directs how we are to respond.

We love to spiritualize things. The Charismatic and Pentecostal worlds are oh too BIG on doing that shtick.

Using the term "generational curse" has been pressed into service entirely too many times without ever explaining exactly what its meant by too many people. That's why confusion concerning the Old and New Covenants comes up when trying to engage the subject almost immediately because the rather vague reference is only seemingly discussed in any length in the OT.

Few who use it seem inclined to qualify what they mean, so the needless bewilderment goes on .. as well as the consequences for how we live, how we approach those under "generational curses", etc. I hate the term and never use it.

Can we say that a family of overweight people here or a family of alcoholics there or a family where domestic abuse seems prevalent across the street or one where heart diseases is a fact of life among them are under "generational curses" ? You can use the term, but have no Biblical justification to draw upon the theology that it comes from in the OT .. or from Pastor Dingdong or Apostle Humptyscrunch.

It's a vague term that's trendy to use so freely without worrying about being accountable for the bad and even abusive teaching and practice it starts up. That's life in our side of the spiritual planet as tongue talkers. We like to spiritualize our problems and therefore set them aside within us as "That" which we then respond to in our own way, which is often unwarranted and unstable.

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
10/9/13 9:05 am

Post Bonnie and Randy Rafael D Martinez
Randy Johnson wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:

Simple discipleship and perservering in the face of suffering and putting to death the sinful nature is too dull and boring. Can't build an audience on that!

BUT!

Generational curses? Oh, yeah! If I have one of those maybe I can get on TV too with one of these big time deliverance evangelists and have hands laid on me, fall down in the spirit in front of thousands of TV viewers, and have a story to impress my church friends with for months to come.

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
10/9/13 9:07 am

Post AnOnYmOuS4ArEaSoN
Generational curses are nothing more than the object of excuses for people who are lazy and lack self control.

Its nothing more than a victim mentality.
Friendly Face
10/10/13 4:37 pm

Post I don't know about a curse... Clint Wills
But I do think there may be tendencies. If a child is raised in the home of an alcoholic and is exposed to that at an early age, then they are probably more likely to become an alcoholic themselves. If a child is raised by a porn addict and they see porn and sexual things at a young age, it is more likely that they will grow up with a horrible world view when it comes to all things sexual...and could thereby fall into the same trappings as their parents.

I don't see it as excuses or laziness, but rather warning signs. I think it's funny that on the same forum that I read that people may be born with a propensity toward homosexuality I also read that if we have a propensity toward our father's sins, then we're lazy and full of excuses Smile.
10/11/13 5:27 pm

Post Re: Typical spiritualizing Old Time Country Preacher
Rafael D Martinez wrote:
You can use the term, but have no Biblical justification to draw upon the theology that it comes from in the OT .. or from Pastor Dingdong or Apostle Humptyscrunch.

Pastor Dingdong an Apostle Humptyscrunch has done influenced classical Pentecostalism way to much an far to long.
Acts-pert Poster
10/11/13 5:49 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I'm not sure what you call it, but I do believe it exists. If we know that physical family history impacts our physical body, why wouldn't the same be true in the Spirit realm? Perhaps it has more to do with familiar spirits attaching themselves to families.

In my mother's family, there has been a history of illegitimate births for four generations (that I know of.) It has not happened in my family but has in both my sisters' families. Is this merely a coincidence? Doesn't seem to be learned behavior.

Certainly there are correct choices that must be made, but it seems that attack in already weak areas leads to a great chance of the perpetuation of sin generationally.
10/12/13 3:03 pm

Post Carolyn JLarry
Quote:
In my mother's family, there has been a history of illegitimate births for four generations (that I know of.) It has not happened in my family but has in both my sisters' families. Is this merely a coincidence? Doesn't seem to be learned behavior.

That is not generational curses that is adultery.

My maternal grandfather was womanizer and an alcoholic. He had at least 7 children. Of the ones that we know of none are alcoholics. His Dr. told my uncle this is impossible. No curse here.
Acts Mod
10/12/13 3:36 pm

Post Re: Carolyn Carolyn Smith
JLarry wrote:
Quote:

That is not generational curses that is adultery.

My maternal grandfather was womanizer and an alcoholic. He had at least 7 children. Of the ones that we know of none are alcoholics. His Dr. told my uncle this is impossible. No curse here.

Well, actually, it's fornication if they're not married. But the fact that it has gone down the line by generation says to me there's something going on there. So don't call it a curse...the sin by one generation is perpetuated into the next by the same poor choices.
10/12/13 3:45 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.