Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why are you NOT in agreement with OSAS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post SouthGeorgiaBoy
I want to make a couple of observations from a more practical standpoint. The OSAS endorsers used a practical analogy to back them. They say that once you are a child of your parents you can never not be there child again for all eternity.

I do believe in each scriptural reference that has been offered. I believe in eternal security but not unconditional eternal security. But just let me offer a couple of things.

1. If it is impossible for me to lose my salvation then why does Satan tempt me, persecute me, try me, or involves himself in spiritual warfare against me? If I can never lose my salvation why would he bother with me? Some would suggest that he wants me to lose my rewards. If I am the devil I don't give a rats behind about the rewards. I don't want you to make it to Heaven.

2. If my sins past, present, and future are forgiven, then why would I ask the Lord to forgive me of my many sins every time I pray? That's what those who believe in OSAS do. If they are already forgiven then why ask for forgiveness?

I was sitting in a guys office one day who believes in eternal security very strongly, when I saw a stack of business size cards on his desk. I picked one up and it had a sketch of Jesus on there and a message that read, "Try Jesus! If you don't like him, Satan will always take you back." I looked at this guy and said, "You can't give these cards to people! If you believe in eternal security then Satan can never take you back." He didn't know what to say.

I am like one poster. I do not believe that it is as easy to backslide as I once thought it to be. There are many sins that we use to believe will send us to hell that I don't necessarily believe will anymore. However, I do still believe in righteousness and holiness. And, I still believe that we must walk and live right if we want to make it in.

[/quote]
Acts Enthusiast
4/24/13 1:09 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Eternal security is by definition unconditional. One either believes in eternal security or else one believes in conditional security.

Jesus, the best theologian ever, said of the Prodigal Son that he had been "dead" and "lost" while a prodigal, and was "found" and "alive again" after returning/repenting to his father.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/24/13 2:24 am

Post SouthGeorgiaBoy Poimen
There are those now who are saying that you don't need to repent of sins every time you commit them, at least not in the way we think of repenting. You don't have to ask forgiveness, they say, because you are already forgiven. You can't go to hell for sinning, they say. You can only go to hell for not believing in Jesus, period. Confused Sad

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/24/13 2:24 am

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Poimen
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Eternal security is by definition unconditional. One either believes in eternal security or else one believes in conditional security.

Jesus, the best theologian ever, said of the Prodigal Son that he had been "dead" and "lost" while a prodigal, and was "found" and "alive again" after returning/repenting to his father.

I understand your point, however the term is being used in theological circles for both sides of the argument. It is in how they define eternal and security that the differences arise. The distinguishing terms they use is conditional or unconditional, so that one either believes in conditional eternal security or unconditional eternal security.

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
4/24/13 2:26 am

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Quiet Wyatt
If conditional, then cannot be eternal.

If unconditional, then by definition eternal.

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to restate in hope of clarification.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/24/13 2:32 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I do agree that the definition of eternal is crucial to this discussion though, just not with regard to security as such.

Salvation is entering into the eternal life of God, which is Jesus (1 Jn 1:2, 1 Jn 5:20) and is only shared with those who are in the Son (1 Jn 5:11-13).
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/24/13 2:40 am

Post demon hunter
My one cent's worth.

The reason that I can't believe in OSAS is that I have had the unfortunate, and unfortunate is not the best word here, experience of "back sliding".

I was saved when I was 17, been in a pentecostal church my entire life. When I reached my early 20's, I was married and divorced in 2 years. Instead of reaching to God I did the opposite and started doing the things that I did before I was saved and worse.

I did get back into church and asked the Jesus to forgive me of everything that I had done to myself, others and Him. That was 13-14 years ago I'm very excited to say. Now I'm remarried with a beautiful child and wife, the Lord is amazing.

During that time of being "back slid" there is no way that I can comprehend that If I died I would end up in Heaven, even though I had been saved before that mess. I still don't feel that I have the closeness that I had when I was first saved, but I know that I am.

So that being said. I've had the experience, so I'm not at the mercy of the ones with the theories.
4/24/13 9:48 am

Post Re: SouthGeorgiaBoy c6thplayer1
Poimen wrote:
There are those now who are saying that you don't need to repent of sins every time you commit them, at least not in the way we think of repenting. You don't have to ask forgiveness, they say, because you are already forgiven. You can't go to hell for sinning, they say. You can only go to hell for not believing in Jesus, period. Confused Sad

I believe in OSAS but I dont believe what your post implies nor do I know anyone of my faith that does.... In fact I cant think of anyone that would believe such.
4/24/13 9:07 pm

Post c6thplayer1
demon hunter wrote:
My one cent's worth.

The reason that I can't believe in OSAS is that I have had the unfortunate, and unfortunate is not the best word here, experience of "back sliding".

I was saved when I was 17, been in a pentecostal church my entire life. When I reached my early 20's, I was married and divorced in 2 years. Instead of reaching to God I did the opposite and started doing the things that I did before I was saved and worse.

I did get back into church and asked the Jesus to forgive me of everything that I had done to myself, others and Him. That was 13-14 years ago I'm very excited to say. Now I'm remarried with a beautiful child and wife, the Lord is amazing.

During that time of being "back slid" there is no way that I can comprehend that If I died I would end up in Heaven, even though I had been saved before that mess. I still don't feel that I have the closeness that I had when I was first saved, but I know that I am.

So that being said. I've had the experience, so I'm not at the mercy of the ones with the theories.

Experience and works do not save you ... Your Faith in Jesus is what saves you. If during your time of backsliding you lost your faith / turned your back on Jesus then it would be a different story.
4/24/13 9:11 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Poimen wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

I understand your point, however the term is being used in theological circles for both sides of the argument. It is in how they define eternal and security that the differences arise. The distinguishing terms they use is conditional or unconditional, so that one either believes in conditional eternal security or unconditional eternal security.

Here is a conditional and unconditional example

John 5:24

King James Version (KJV)

24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
4/24/13 9:15 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
24 `Verily, verily, I say to you -- He who is hearing my word, and is believing Him who sent me, hath life age-during, and to judgment he doth not come, but hath passed out of the death to the life.

Don't stop believin!
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/24/13 9:40 pm

Post Re: SouthGeorgiaBoy Poimen
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Poimen wrote:

I believe in OSAS but I don't believe what your post implies nor do I know anyone of my faith that does.... In fact I cant think of anyone that would believe such.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "anyone of your faith" but I assume you are referring to anyone who essentially holds to a belief in unconditional "eternal security". If so you might want to check out the teaching in this area of folks like Joseph Prince and Andrew Womack. And as a member of an SBC congregation in central Alabama I can attest to the fact that such is making inroads among Southern Baptists too (though that umbrella is large and rather inclusive anyhow).

4/24/13 10:09 pm

Post demon hunter
c6thplayer1 wrote:
demon hunter wrote:
My one cent's worth.

Experience and works do not save you ... Your Faith in Jesus is what saves you. If during your time of backsliding you lost your faith / turned your back on Jesus then it would be a different story.

I understand what you are saying about experience and works, but could you explain a little deeper what you are saying. During the time of my regret I knew that what I was doing was wrong/sinning but still chose to do it anyhow. I do not feel though that I ever lost my faith or turned my back on Jesus but I sure wasn't listening to Him. Sad
4/25/13 8:53 am

Post diakoneo
Can a person have saving faith and not be faithful to the One who is saving him?

James 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

Until faith is tried and you are proven faithful, have you endured testing?

And again...
Revelation 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

And again...
Revelation 2: 10. Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
11. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Is faith as far away from faithfulness as some would have us believe, that a person could continue in practice of sin and unfaithfulness to God and still have saving faith. I don't think so!
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/25/13 10:54 am

Post c6thplayer1
demon hunter wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:
demon hunter wrote:
My one cent's worth.

I understand what you are saying about experience and works, but could you explain a little deeper what you are saying. During the time of my regret I knew that what I was doing was wrong/sinning but still chose to do it anyhow. I do not feel though that I ever lost my faith or turned my back on Jesus but I sure wasn't listening to Him. Sad

You knew that you were doing wrong back then and it bothered you to some extent because the Holy spirit was convicting you. Also you never lost your faith in Jesus so even though you were in a less than favorable condition you were still saved even though you didnt feel like it.

King James Version (KJV)

24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Once again , This is what Jesus said. Dont take some other interpretation
from those with an agenda who change words. Read the words and let the Holy spirit guide you.
4/25/13 11:04 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Young's Literal simply shows the literal Greek tenses of the verbs. Biblical faith is always a present reality, not only something one has had in the past. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/25/13 11:07 am

Post Re: SouthGeorgiaBoy c6thplayer1
Poimen wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Poimen wrote:

I believe in OSAS but I don't believe what your post implies nor do I know anyone of my faith that does.... In fact I cant think of anyone that would believe such.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "anyone of your faith" but I assume you are referring to anyone who essentially holds to a belief in unconditional "eternal security". If so you might want to check out the teaching in this area of folks like Joseph Prince and Andrew Womack. And as a member of an SBC congregation in central Alabama I can attest to the fact that such is making inroads among Southern Baptists too (though that umbrella is large and rather inclusive anyhow).

The reference to "anyone of my Faith" is tied to OSAS.

Never heard of Prince or Womack but Im sure they use scriptures without credence to Jesus's direct statements. ie John 5:24
4/25/13 11:11 am

Post diakoneo
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Young's Literal simply shows the literal Greek tenses of the verbs. Biblical faith is always a present reality, not only something one has had in the past.

Yes, but we wouldn't want something as insignificant as a definition get in the way. Laughing

Seems there is also a very loose definition of grace that is kicked around of this board from time to time Smile
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/25/13 12:29 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Quote:
If it is impossible for me to lose my salvation then why does Satan tempt me, persecute me, try me, or involves himself in spiritual warfare against me?

Why did he do those things to Jesus?
Acts-pert Poster
4/25/13 5:21 pm

Post Poimen
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Quote:
If it is impossible for me to lose my salvation then why does Satan tempt me, persecute me, try me, or involves himself in spiritual warfare against me?

Why did he do those things to Jesus?

Because if he could have made the MAN Jesus sin the entire plan of God would have failed, and the original desire (indeed sin) of satan would have been realized. Wink

4/25/13 5:43 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.