Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

The Best Way to Get a Visitor's Contact Info...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post The Best Way to Get a Visitor's Contact Info... Quiet Wyatt
What is the best way you have found to get a visitor's contact info? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/27/13 10:27 pm

Post Randy Johnson
I wonder sometimes if it might not be better to make sure visitors have our contact information before they leave, rather than trying to get their info from the get-go.

Even though pastors assure visitors that we want their information for their benefit, I wonder in this consumer culture with so much distaste for "spam" and desire for "privacy" if it might not be best to put the ball in their court when it comes to followup and contact information?

Whenever I visit a church and I am handed a visitor's card and asked to fill it out and put it in the offering, an immediate resistance rises up within me. Sometimes I just want to attend the church, enjoy the service, and not show up on somebody's radar as a "suspect" (I'm using a sales prospecting term here).

What if instead of trying to get their information, we made sure we gave them ours, and encourage them to call, text, or email us if they would like to discuss spiritual things further?
Ickesburg, Pennsylvania
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/28/13 1:28 am

Post bradfreeman
Randy Johnson wrote:
I wonder sometimes if it might not be better to make sure visitors have our contact information before they leave, rather than trying to get their info from the get-go.

Even though pastors assure visitors that we want their information for their benefit, I wonder in this consumer culture with so much distaste for "spam" and desire for "privacy" if it might not be best to put the ball in their court when it comes to followup and contact information?

Whenever I visit a church and I am handed a visitor's card and asked to fill it out and put it in the offering, an immediate resistance rises up within me. Sometimes I just want to attend the church, enjoy the service, and not show up on somebody's radar as a "suspect" (I'm using a sales prospecting term here).

What if instead of trying to get their information, we made sure we gave them ours, and encourage them to call, text, or email us if they would like to discuss spiritual things further?

Yes.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
1/28/13 7:06 am

Post Travis Johnson
Randy Johnson wrote:

Failing to follow-up with people doesn't work. A lot of churches already do that. It's easy to see the result.
Acts-dicted
1/28/13 7:57 am

Post Travis Johnson
We use:

- a connection card that everyone fills out. If you'll email zech@life-pointe.com, he can send you the .pdf or .psd files for it.

- our hospitality team at a "NEED HELP" area. Guests that stop for direction and guests who are engaged by our hospitality team fill out a connection card and given a coffee mug with the church logo (stuffed with goodies and info)

- a red carpet in the lobby where we ask our 1st and 2nd time guests that would like to pastoral staff/leaders to stop in. We serve chocolates and beverages and collect info from anyone who didn't signup the other ways.

- Children's Church check-in. We capture all of the info there when they sign in the kids.
Acts-dicted
1/28/13 8:07 am

Post KevinLloyd
We use a process similar to what Travis does.

1. Connection Card in the worship guide. They're directed to this at the beginning of the service, during our announcement video & as the offering is received. They have plenty of time to fill out the card & they drop it in the offering bag.

2. Kid's Check in.

3. To the point that was brought up regarding "spam", that's not a reason to not collect info. What we do is give people a "Hassle Free Guarantee". We say something to the effect of: "This card is a safe card. We are not going to do anything with your information that will be off-putting. We won't call you or come by your house uninvited. All we will do is send you 1 note in the mail."
www.kevinlloydlive.com
www.twitter.com/kevinlloyd
Acts-celerater
1/28/13 9:42 am

Post bonnie knox
Our church has a tab on the bulletin that can be filled out and dropped in the offering.

As has already been mentioned, if I visit a church, I like the option of being anonymous. Introverts need hospitality, too, without feeling like they are being exposed.
Once I was in a grocery chain that I don't normally shop at. I noticed they had a good sale on some frozen veggies. But that required a customer rewards card. I thought I would fill out one which, given the circumstances, would probably only be used once or twice.
I filled out the form thinking, "There is just no privacy anymore." Then, aha, there was a space for a phone number with a notation that the phone number was optional. So I left off my phone number. The clerk processing my info asked for my number. I showed the clerk that I didn't HAVE to put the phone number down. The clerk turned over my application to a manager. The manager started trying to explain the advantages of having my phone number -- if I forgot to physically bring the card, they could connect the card number with my phone number, blah, blah, blah. I pointed out that the application said I didn't have to put my phone number down. He started to protest, but his good customer service training kicked in, and he gave me my rewards card (and a suspicious look). I walked throughout the store feeling pretty certain I was being followed by the security cameras.

Last edited by bonnie knox on 1/28/13 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/28/13 9:54 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Thanks everyone for the input so far. As an introvert myself, I am quite sensitive to the issue of privacy. As a pastor I do not wish to be perceived as a pushy salesman type of guy, and I absolutely understand a newcomer not wanting to feel as if she's going to be subject to aggressive sales tactics.

On the other hand I also have seen all to often what not getting a visitor's address accomplishes. One often never sees them again, and unless on the off chance they happened to give in the offering using a check, the church has no way to even follow up with a thank you card. And thus my question here.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 1/28/13 11:05 am; edited 2 times in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/28/13 10:59 am

Post Cojak
Travis Johnson wrote:
We use:

- a connection card that everyone fills out. If you'll email zech@life-pointe.com, he can send you the .pdf or .psd files for it.

- our hospitality team at a "NEED HELP" area. Guests that stop for direction and guests who are engaged by our hospitality team fill out a connection card and given a coffee mug with the church logo (stuffed with goodies and info)

- a red carpet in the lobby where we ask our 1st and 2nd time guests that would like to pastoral staff/leaders to stop in. We serve chocolates and beverages and collect info from anyone who didn't signup the other ways.

- Children's Church check-in. We capture all of the info there when they sign in the kids.

Not to be too much of an ATTABOY to LIFE POINTE, but the informal approach worked for us when we attended there. We had a chance to explain we were just passing thru, we had a chance to get to know a sweet lady or two in the lobby. It was very welcoming, We liked the approach.

We attend so many churches, and don't want to get on a 'mailing list' causing someone to 'over try' to contact us. We really do not want to waste folks precious time when we do not live in their area.

Many folk feel like Randy and Bonnie, I know we do. Wink
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/28/13 11:02 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
On the other hand I also have seen all to often what not getting a visitor's address accomplishes. One often never sees them again, and unless on yhe off chance they happened to give in the offering using a check, the church has no way to even follow up with a thank you card. And thus my question here.

I think you're spot on here. It's a simple matter of risk analysis. If you attempt to collect information, there is a chance you will turn off someone who doesn't want to give you their information. That person then won't give you their information, which... is not something they were going to do anyway.

On the other hand, if you don't attempt to collect information, you will miss an opportunity to follow up with people who would otherwise have been pleased to provide their info upon request, but wouldn't have thought to volunteer it.

Common sense folks - ask for the info. People who don't want to respond to that weren't going to give it anyway, and can politely decline.

We have hospitality folks that monitor sections to be on the lookout for new folks. If they see some, they'll warmly greet them and talk to them, and then will give them an information card that can be exchanged for a nice gift (we have a few different options) at our Information Center. If the folks don't want to fill the card out, then they can just hold onto it and throw it out later. We also ask people to fill out a card following a commitment at the altar. We do really try to get this one filled out, because it's primarily so our pastor and elders can be in prayer for that person and can follow up with them to help them get rooted and grounded in the faith.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/28/13 11:05 am

Post Have a church facebook page roughridercog
On your visitor card, ask them if they have a facebook, you'd like to be their friend.
1/28/13 2:54 pm

Post Re: Have a church facebook page Cojak
roughridercog wrote:
On your visitor card, ask them if they have a facebook, you'd like to be their friend.

Good point! Idea
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/28/13 3:58 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt...a follow-up question Aaron Scott
Quiet Wyatt,

While I think it is good to send a visitor letter (and have often practiced this), to this day I wonder just how much effect it really has.

Yes, it might make the person feel good. It might even cause them to come again. But I wonder if there are any stats that let us know that X percentage of those who are sent visitor letter return and remain? (The key word being "remain.")

To ME--and my view may be very limited--it seems that if the church service ministers, the people are friendly, etc., the person will come back regardless of whether there is a visitor letter. And if the church didn't "click," then they likely will not be back otherwise.

I am just wondering (sincerely) if our efforts are better served in another sort of endeavor? Thoughts?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/29/13 8:27 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.