Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Wilkerson's Warning to the "Seeker Friendly" Churc
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Patrick Harris
Resident Skeptic wrote:
But one thing he didn't feel the need to do was to grease his hair back, put on a black leather jacket and act like Fonzie (this was 1958) in order to "accommodate" them , or to make them feel more "comfortable" with his message.

Kind of the point.

If he had sllicked back his hair or wore a leather jacket it would not have caused him to have compromised the gospel.
Being accommodating and making people comfortable in itself does not compromise the word of God
Acts Enthusiast
9/30/12 12:31 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Patrick Harris wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
But one thing he didn't feel the need to do was to grease his hair back, put on a black leather jacket and act like Fonzie (this was 1958) in order to "accommodate" them , or to make them feel more "comfortable" with his message.

Kind of the point.

If he had sllicked back his hair or wore a leather jacket it would not have caused him to have compromised the gospel.
Being accommodating and making people comfortable in itself does not compromise the word of God

Nowhere are we called to make people feel comfortable. And certainly WE should have a motive to bring them discomfort. But do you really believe Wilkerson would have had the same effect on those young people if he had embraced their culture? Sorry. They would have considered him to be just as plastic and phony as they were. It would indeed have watered down his message and effectiveness. This is why I stand by my conviction that it is not God who is leading Christian rock stars to embrace the rock culture. It's flesh, and it is a hindrance to true conversion.
9/30/12 1:02 pm

Post Patrick Harris
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Patrick Harris wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

Kind of the point.

Nowhere are we called to make people feel comfortable. And certainly WE should have a motive to bring them discomfort. But do you really believe Wilkerson would have had the same effect on those young people if he had embraced their culture? Sorry. They would have considered him to be just as plastic and phony as they were. It would indeed have watered down his message and effectiveness. This is why I stand by my conviction that it is not God who is leading Christian rock stars to embrace the rock culture. It's flesh, and it is a hindrance to true conversion.

Convictions are personal and do not make doctrine.
Acts Enthusiast
9/30/12 1:10 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Patrick Harris wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Patrick Harris wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

Kind of the point.

I'm duty bound to preach what God has laid on my heart, and I will. I'm certain that those who are sensitive to the Spirit will see this. God knows I'm one of many that are sensing the same word from the Holy Spirit. I can't make anyone receive it, nor will I try.
9/30/12 1:15 pm

Post Patrick Harris
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Patrick Harris wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Patrick Harris wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

Kind of the point.

I'm duty bound to preach what God has laid on my heart, and I will. I'm certain that those who are sensitive to the Spirit will see this. God knows I'm one of many that are sensing the same word from the Holy Spirit. I can't make anyone receive it, nor will I try.

Pretty arrogant attitude. I guess the rest of us aren't sensitive to the Holy Spirit.
Acts Enthusiast
9/30/12 1:25 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Patrick Harris wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Patrick Harris wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Patrick Harris wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

Kind of the point.

If he had slicked back his hair or wore a leather jacket it would not have caused him to have compromised the gospel.

Pretty arrogant attitude. I guess the rest of us aren't sensitive to the Holy Spirit.

Never said that. But I know how God has dealt with me on this issue, and what he has told me to proclaim. Remember, this thread was not about Christian rock. Those who got mad at Wilkerson's Mylon comments 30 years ago tried to change the subject. This thread was about a message that deals with an obsession many today have to try to accommodate the sinner.

I suggest you check out Kieth Green's "What's Wrong With The Gospel". Maybe you'll receive it better from him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgpTUWYEqIQ
9/30/12 1:37 pm

Post Patrick Harris
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Patrick Harris wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Patrick Harris wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Patrick Harris wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

Kind of the point.

If he had slicked back his hair or wore a leather jacket it would not have caused him to have compromised the gospel.

Never said that. But I know how God has dealt with me on this issue, and what he has told me to proclaim. Remember, this thread was not about Christian rock. Those who got mad at Wilkerson's Mylon comments 30 years ago tried to change the subject. This thread was about a message that deals with an obsession many today have to try to accommodate the sinner.

I suggest you check out Kieth Green's "What's Wrong With The Gospel". Maybe you'll receive it better from him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgpTUWYEqIQ

I'm actually a big fan of Keith Green.
I love his music and have seen him in concert.

What Wilkerson calls accommodation is simply his belief.
Acts Enthusiast
9/30/12 1:59 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Quote:

Then you didn't hear the message I heard. Again, listen to Keith if you can't handle Dave. They are both saying the same thing.
9/30/12 2:04 pm

Post Daniel Rushing
Resident Skeptic wrote:
if it does not bring the knowledge of sin, conviction of sin, and the need and opportunity of salvation by washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Ghost, then it's not the gospel.

Where, specifically, does Jesus preach this gospel?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
9/30/12 2:09 pm

Post Patrick Harris
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Quote:

Then you didn't hear the message I heard. Again, listen to Keith if you can't handle Dave. They are both saying the same thing.

I'm not really that teachable.

And you heard what you wanted to hear.
Acts Enthusiast
9/30/12 2:13 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Daniel Rushing wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
if it does not bring the knowledge of sin, conviction of sin, and the need and opportunity of salvation by washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Ghost, then it's not the gospel.

Where, specifically, does Jesus preach this gospel?

The "gospel" is his, death, burial and resurrection (I Cor 15:1-2) He pointed to that future event.

Jesus commanded and preached repentance (Matthew 4:17)

He told his disciples to preach this same message of repentance (Luke 24:47)

He said that after Pentecost, he would be reproving the world of sin, righteousness ,and judgment. (John 16:8)

He declared that the Spirit he would one day pour out on the repentant would be a well of water springing up unto everlasting life (see John 4).

Paul would later declare the same truth in Titus 3:5...

Quote:
5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,

Quote:
In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. (Acts 17:30)

Last edited by Resident Skeptic on 9/30/12 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-dicted
9/30/12 2:25 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Patrick Harris wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Quote:

And you heard what you wanted to hear.

And I'm hearing you quite well too, brother. Talk about arrogance? Look, if you don't like this kind of message, there are plenty of other threads on here that will "accommodate" you, and make you feel more "comfortable", I'm sure. But you were honest about one thing...

Quote:

9/30/12 2:29 pm

Post Daniel Rushing
You quoted Paul as the preacher of that gospel. Sure, Jesus taught repentance, but that can mean a lot of things. It could mean turning from the world's way of doing things and doing it his way: turning the other cheek, going the extra mile, etc.

I just think it is odd how succinctly you see the "gospel," when I don't see Jesus preaching any such gospel. Sure, Paul understood it that way. But if that is THE GOSPEL, you would think Jesus would have clearly stated as such.
9/30/12 3:35 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
The late, great Keith Green on this "accommodation" nonsense....

Quote:
How we have made the gospel impotent! We often hear people say, "I'm tired of hellfire and brimstone preaching!'. Well I often reply to them, 'When was the last time you ever heard any?'. It is true that many no longer preach on hell. We shouldn't scare the poor sinner you know? No, that wouldn't do! Poor unfortunate misguided souls, right? Wrong. The Bible clearly shows that they are criminals who have robbed and dishonored the living God, infinitely offending him, and they have no right to look at themselves in any other way.

God's mercy will not mean a hill of beans to someone out there listening to the gospel unless you show them what God needs to be merciful to them about!

Oh you can look at the sinner as a poor misguided soul that does not know what he is doing, but you must never let THEM look at themselves that way. Nobody can be convicted of being a poor, misguided soul.

When presenting the gospel, we don't have any right to remove what Jesus didn't! He was scared for sinners and that's why he warned them, but we are scared of scaring them! Our fear of hurting somebody is not going to help them at all...

We who are as smart as we are have decided to help God along. He doesn't know as much about our generation as we do. Our generation needs a more gentle, loving tone....What right do we have to remove things from the gospel that Jesus gave place to in his own teaching?..

The thing that we should be preaching is that Jesus Christ accepted US. He loved US before we loved Him! He went after US before we went after Him! He came to US before we came to Him! He drew us before we asked him to draw us. And then we turn around and say "Why?"well how do I deserve it?" You've got to make people believe they don't deserve it. Because that's the truth.

Instead of trying to make people see what a great deal it is that they can get saved, you've got to show people what a rotten deal they've given to God! He gave them life. He gave them his blood. He gave them his own Son. He gave them his Spirit. And what did you give him? A big life full of heartache. A whole gut full of trouble. A bunch of rebellion. A whole lot of sin and stench in his nostrils. And you've got to come to him on your knees and say, "Lord, accept me", and he says "Yes", and that's the greatest miracle of all. All this other stuff is horrible, this "me centered" garbage. Cuz you're the center of the universe, brother! Jesus loved you so much that he came to die for you,you,you!! But Paul lifted Jesus up! Peter lifted Jesus up! The Bible lifts Jesus up! But we today, we lift the sinner up! Oh, mighty sinner! Jesus is down here waiting on you to accept him. And he'll fly up to where you are! It's not humility and it's not salvation. It's a glorification of the person and the sinner.

That last line says in a nutshell what this seeker sensitive, gospel of accommodation is doing...it's glorifying the sinner.
9/30/12 3:40 pm

Post mytimewillcome
Good to see people follow the way of Wilkerson more than the way of Jesus. Rolling Eyes

Daniel is right. Jesus never preached this kind of "gospel". His actions and reactions look almost the opposite.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
9/30/12 3:56 pm

Post Patrick Harris
mytimewillcome wrote:
Good to see people follow the way of Wilkerson more than the way of Jesus. Rolling Eyes

Daniel is right. Jesus never preached this kind of "gospel". His actions and reactions look almost the opposite.
Thumb Up
Bingo.
Acts Enthusiast
9/30/12 4:02 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Daniel Rushing wrote:
You quoted Paul as the preacher of that gospel. Sure, Jesus taught repentance, but that can mean a lot of things. It could mean turning from the world's way of doing things and doing it his way: turning the other cheek, going the extra mile, etc.

I just think it is odd how succinctly you see the "gospel," when I don't see Jesus preaching any such gospel. Sure, Paul understood it that way. But if that is THE GOSPEL, you would think Jesus would have clearly stated as such.

First of all, WHAT exactly is it that you perceive that I believe is"the gospell"?

And please look at the context of Christ's words....

Quote:
From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. (Matt 4:17)

He is preaching repentance as a requirement of entering the Kingdom.
9/30/12 4:14 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
mytimewillcome wrote:

Utter and complete nonsense. He never tried to accommodate anyone. He came not to bring peace, but a sword. And anyone who thinks that Paul preached something different than Christ should stop preaching and go get an honest job. They are deceived and are deceiving others.
9/30/12 4:17 pm

Post mytimewillcome
Resident Skeptic wrote:

He is preaching repentance as a requirement of entering the Kingdom.

You're right. He preached repentance due to the new covenant being put into place.

He was preaching to turn people unto himself. Your definition of repentance seems to try and turn people to your way of thinking.

Big difference.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
9/30/12 4:40 pm

Post diakoneo
Some seeker sensitive messages:
The first message by a Pentecostal preacher
Act 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: 23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:

36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

In his second one Peter said:
Act 3:13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.

Stephen said:
Act 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.:52 Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers: 53 Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have not kept it.

The Mars Hill message:
Act 17:22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.:23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

These guys don't sound very seeker sensitive to me. I think Brother Wilkerson has the right idea, albeit, an unpopular idea. Imagine that?
9/30/12 4:47 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.