Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why name-calling is such a BIG DEAL

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Why name-calling is such a BIG DEAL doyle
MAY I TAKE A MOMENT and kindly share why name-calling in a discussion by adults is serious and not funny?

It's far more damaging to the one doing it than to the one at which it's aimed. Not only does it completely rip attention away from anything else the one doing it was trying to say at that moment, it diminishes in
the mind of other viewers, anything else the one doing the name-calling has to say.

THOUGH OTHERS may chuckle along with the name-calling, it really does diminish respect for the one who did it. Other viewers know the name-caller couldn't keep his cool and they will have a tendency to avoid dialogue with him because who knows if he will come after them.

Also, name-calling can serve to hijack the entire thread which overshadows and disrespects others in the thread who have acted in a mature way. And for us at Actscelerate, it completely goes against our goal of mature conduct for all viewers, "Expect Respect."

WHEN OTHER participants in a discussion are not respected, they basically avoid participating which means we miss their wise counsel, their perspective on the issues and most of all, we miss the honor of having them share their heart with us. Shouldn't we have such respect for each other until we feel honored when our fellow ministers and members share their heart with us?

Like many of you, even though I may not always agree with our fellow posters on every issue, the right to share their opinion which is guaranteed to them by the Constitution and the opportunity to do so provided them by Actscelerate, are worthy of respect.

Doyle
writedoyle@yahoo.com

Doyle
8/4/12 12:43 pm

Post youre right doyle aprilmay
name calling hurts. everyone involved.

I've been called my fair share of names (idiot, pot calling kettle black, jerk, and some tougher ones like council member, music pastor and even worse.)

I've also called names at times and i regret that. It immediately divides people and puts you under a label that is tough to get out of.

Thats why from now on the only names I call people by is their first names. (and pen names i guess)

good post. Thanks for being sensitive to those of us who have been victimized by cyber-bullying and who have been instigators of name calling.
Acts Enthusiast
8/5/12 7:30 am

Post Link
What do you think about calling a Supreme Court justice a traitor?
8/5/12 11:28 pm

Post philunderwood
If it weren't for name-calling on Actscelerate I would not have known I was a MORON. Up until that occasion all I knew was what my Daddy told me... He said, "Son, you are the flower of our family - a BLOOMIN' IDIOT!"

Is moron (or moran to some) better or worse?

Discover More...
http://www.refocusing.org

A Mission in Formation
www.bluewaterinthekeys.com
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
8/6/12 9:36 am

Post Re: Why name-calling is such a BIG DEAL Tracy S Hamilton
doyle wrote:
MAY I TAKE A MOMENT and kindly share why name-calling in a discussion by adults is serious and not funny?

It's far more damaging to the one doing it than to the one at which it's aimed. Not only does it completely rip attention away from anything else the one doing it was trying to say at that moment, it diminishes in
the mind of other viewers, anything else the one doing the name-calling has to say.

THOUGH OTHERS may chuckle along with the name-calling, it really does diminish respect for the one who did it. Other viewers know the name-caller couldn't keep his cool and they will have a tendency to avoid dialogue with him because who knows if he will come after them.

Also, name-calling can serve to hijack the entire thread which overshadows and disrespects others in the thread who have acted in a mature way. And for us at Actscelerate, it completely goes against our goal of mature conduct for all viewers, "Expect Respect."

WHEN OTHER participants in a discussion are not respected, they basically avoid participating which means we miss their wise counsel, their perspective on the issues and most of all, we miss the honor of having them share their heart with us. Shouldn't we have such respect for each other until we feel honored when our fellow ministers and members share their heart with us?

Like many of you, even though I may not always agree with our fellow posters on every issue, the right to share their opinion which is guaranteed to them by the Constitution and the opportunity to do so provided them by Actscelerate, are worthy of respect.

Doyle
writedoyle@yahoo.com

Doyle

Doyle,

Does this apply during College Football Season?...... Very Happy

Hard to trash talk during the season without a few name callings.... lol

Just kidding? Well.... maybe not.... Wink
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
8/6/12 8:52 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.