Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What is official COG statement on alcohol consumption?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post What is official COG statement on alcohol consumption? doyle
Listen, when it comes to drinking alcohol, I'm old-school agreeing with Proverbs 20:1 "Wine is a mocker and strong drink is raging but he who is deceived thereby is not wise." I also know the Bible strongly condemns drunkenness.

However, with that said, what the COG officially says these days about drinking, may be interesting. It's now been years since the COG changed it's stance on the Practical Commitments which had strong language opposing alcohol consumption.

Even with the changes, it wisely never has endorsed it - God forbid, but does not anywhere to my knowledge say for example that drinking a glass of wine will send someone to Hell.

Possibly one of our viewers would post the COG official statement on consuming alcoholic beverages. Word-For-Word please.

Doyle
writedoyle@yahoo.com

Last edited by doyle on 6/1/12 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts-celerate Owner
5/29/12 6:32 pm

Post mytimewillcome
Doyle, I'm not sure where the COG changed their statement. This is pulled straight off the COG website as of 2 minutes ago:

"Addiction and Enslavement

One of the primary benefits of our liberty in Christ is freedom from the domination of negative forces (John 8:32, 36; Romans 6:14; 8:2). We are counseled not to put ourselves again under bondage (Galatians 5:1). Therefore, a Christian must totally abstain from all alcoholic beverages and other habit-forming and mood-altering chemical substances and refrain from the use of tobacco in any form, marijuana and all other addictive substances, and further, must refrain from any activity (such as gambling or gluttony) which defiles the body as the temple of God or which dominates and enslaves the spirit that has been made free in Christ (Proverbs 20:1; 23:20-35; Isaiah 28:7; 1 Corinthians 3:17; 5:11; 6:10; 2 Corinthians 7:1; James 1:21)."
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
5/29/12 6:41 pm

Post We are going to have to face this sooner or later. roughridercog
I have had this discussion with others. We are going to have to face the idea of "moderation" sooner or later. I never drank in my life and never will, but is our teaching of complete abstinence biblical or merely our tradition.
It's tough to face this in a non-emotional manner. I am an old hard liner who believes that abstinence is the best way to live; I've never seen anything positive come from drinking in any form.

But does the Bible teach against drunkenness rather than abstinence? Bringing this up on this board raises enough hackles, but can you imagine it on the floor of the GA?

Can you say "Battle Royal?"
5/29/12 6:44 pm

Post chainrattler
Fence laws.

A favorite occupation of the professionally religious.
Acts-celerater
5/29/12 6:52 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Quote:
other habit-forming and mood-altering chemical substances

We have been down this road as well. Forget the destruction alcohol can do to innocent parties for a moment and consider what a habit-forming and mood-altering substance can be. This doesn't even make room for doctor recommended prescriptions. What about caffeine, for example? Then, we move on to the gluttony thing. Almost every big preacher I have talked to tells me that they are not gluttons. OK, that is fine. Gluttony is not easily defined for us. But what about defiling the temple? That, my friends, is not even considered by most folks. Why not? It is because we excuse our behavior while railing on those who drink because you ain't tempted by it.

I did it for 30 years. I am guilty. I had to ask forgiveness for defiling this body that God allowed me to occupy. The question is...what about you? When will honoring God's temple become a priority? Will you wait until that heart attack? Please consider changing your life!

Back to alcohol...
Acts-pert Poster
5/29/12 6:55 pm

Post Telecaster
chainrattler wrote:
Fence laws.

A favorite occupation of the professionally religious.

Ed Gungor?
Acts Enthusiast
5/29/12 7:12 pm

Post Daniel Rushing
Major B. Trammell wrote:
The Church of God's official position on alcohol consumption is the very same as its official position on consumption of caffeinated beverages (coffee, sweet tea, and carbonated drinks like Coca-Cola), many over-the-counter medications, and many prescription medications and that is this: if you are a Christian, you must totally abstain.

The reason given (out of context) is that Galatians 5:1 counsels us not to put ourselves under bondage. In a HUGE twist of irony, the bondage that Galatians 5:1 speaks of is the bondage of legalism.

Thumb Up Thumb Up
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
5/29/12 8:46 pm

Post bradfreeman
Jesus is disqualified for credentials in the COG. It's a shame because we sure could use His leadership. The 12 apostles, Paul and Timothy are out too. I knew those guys were trouble.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
5/29/12 8:47 pm

Post Re: What is official COG statement on alcohol consumption? krista
doyle wrote:
Listen, when it comes to drinking alcohol, I'm old-school agreeing with Proverbs 20:1 "Wine is a mocker and strong drink is raging but he who is deceived thereby is not wise." I also know the Bible strongly condemns drunkenness.

However, with that said, what the COG officially says these days about drinking, may be interesting. It's now been years since the COG changed it's stance on the Practical Commitments which had strong language opposing alcohol consumption.

Even with the changes, it wisely never has endorsed it - God forbid, but does not anywhere to my knowledge say for example that drinking a glass of wine will send someone to Hell.

Possibly one of our viewers would post the COG official statement on consuming alcoholic beverages. Word-For-Word please.

Doyle
writedoyle@yahoo.com

Does it really matter what the COG say's? It seems the consensus from the board is that it's ok?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
5/29/12 8:59 pm

Post Re: What is official COG statement on alcohol consumption? roughridercog
krista wrote:
doyle wrote:

Doyle
writedoyle@yahoo.com

Does it really matter what the COG say's? It seems the consensus from the board is that it's ok?

I didn't say I thought it was okay. But it is a volatile subject to discuss, because sometimes we seem to have trouble discussing Scripture if someone has a tradition that is difficult to justify.
5/29/12 9:20 pm

Post Re: What is official COG statement on alcohol consumption? krista
roughridercog wrote:
krista wrote:
doyle wrote:

Doyle
writedoyle@yahoo.com

I didn't say I thought it was okay. But it is a volatile subject to discuss, because sometimes we seem to have trouble discussing Scripture if someone has a tradition that is difficult to justify.

Rough, did I say you thought it was ok? I said it is a consensus on Acts that it is. Not unanimous.
Funny ...I was addressing Doyle, but you answered. HHHuuuummmmm????
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
5/29/12 9:56 pm

Post Re: What is official COG statement on alcohol consumption? roughridercog
krista wrote:
roughridercog wrote:
krista wrote:
doyle wrote:

Doyle
writedoyle@yahoo.com

Rough, did I say you thought it was ok? I said it is a consensus on Acts that it is. Not unanimous.
Funny ...I was addressing Doyle, but you answered. HHHuuuummmmm????

Did you ever notice that you never see Doyle and I at the same time?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
5/29/12 10:08 pm

Post Cojak
Major B. Trammell wrote:
The Church of God's official position on alcohol consumption is the very same as its official position on consumption of caffeinated beverages (coffee, sweet tea, and carbonated drinks like Coca-Cola), many over-the-counter medications, and many prescription medications and that is this: if you are a Christian, you must totally abstain.

The reason given (out of context) is that Galatians 5:1 counsels us not to put ourselves under bondage. In a HUGE twist of irony, the bondage that Galatians 5:1 speaks of is the bondage of legalism.

Thumb Up Thumb Up

It amazes me that such a simple statement is hard to understand. There are many mind altering substances used daily by COG members, pastors and officials. BUT we settle on something that our Lord himself participated in.

Yes He, in the first miracle, turned the water to wine. Fairly simple.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/29/12 10:35 pm

Post This is me, showing restraint, & ... Poimen
Cojak wrote:

It amazes me that such a simple statement is hard to understand. There are many mind altering substances used daily by COG members, pastors and officials. BUT we settle on something that our Lord himself participated in.

Not taking the bait. Wink Razz

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/29/12 10:52 pm

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post skip it skinnybishop
just skip it

Last edited by skinnybishop on 5/30/12 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts Enthusiast
5/30/12 6:04 am

Post Troy Hamby
what bothers me is that it says "A Christian must"...it gives the implication that if you don't TOTALLY abstain, then you are not a Christian. Who made that determination? A council? A board? Certainly not the Bible and certainly not Jesus. This is a man made rule and I would have no problem breaking it because it's legalism. Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
5/30/12 6:12 am

Post roughridercog
Troy Hamby wrote:
what bothers me is that it says "A Christian must"...it gives the implication that if you don't TOTALLY abstain, then you are not a Christian. Who made that determination? A council? A board? Certainly not the Bible and certainly not Jesus. This is a man made rule and I would have no problem breaking it because it's legalism.

I'm shocked, Troy.
You're gonna start going to the movie theater next instead of getting cable TV like a spiritual man would do. Laughing
5/30/12 6:38 am

Post Re: This is me, showing restraint, & ... Cojak
Poimen wrote:
Cojak wrote:

Not taking the bait. Wink Razz

ROFL ROFL

Love you
Bro!!!!!!
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/30/12 9:20 am

Post Dave Dorsey
roughridercog wrote:
I'm shocked, Troy.
You're gonna start going to the movie theater next instead of getting cable TV like a spiritual man would do. Laughing

I've always known Troy was a heathen. This just proves it beyond a doubt.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/30/12 9:21 am

Post Tracy S Hamilton
mytimewillcome wrote:
Doyle, I'm not sure where the COG changed their statement. This is pulled straight off the COG website as of 2 minutes ago:

"Addiction and Enslavement

One of the primary benefits of our liberty in Christ is freedom from the domination of negative forces (John 8:32, 36; Romans 6:14; 8:2). We are counseled not to put ourselves again under bondage (Galatians 5:1). Therefore, a Christian must totally abstain from all alcoholic beverages and other habit-forming and mood-altering chemical substances and refrain from the use of tobacco in any form, marijuana and all other addictive substances, and further, must refrain from any activity (such as gambling or gluttony) which defiles the body as the temple of God or which dominates and enslaves the spirit that has been made free in Christ (Proverbs 20:1; 23:20-35; Isaiah 28:7; 1 Corinthians 3:17; 5:11; 6:10; 2 Corinthians 7:1; James 1:21)."

So can you take a minister's license if he drinks?

If so, can you take a minister's license who is obese since it is all in the same sentence and tied together?

It seems to me the way it is worded that both are against the teachings of the church. With that said, then could one have his license revoked for being overweight or obese?

Just wondering out loud.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
5/30/12 11:38 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.