Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Determined to Stay in the "Red-Back" Past
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post DrDuck
I was delighted when I saw that announcement on the Camp Meeting poster. My immediate response was, well, that is one night I will be there.

When the powers that be see the outcome of that service, next year maybe there will be the reverse. One night of, so called, worship music and four of the real thing.
Acts-celerater
5/16/12 10:46 am

Post Pastors Friend
theElder wrote:
I say we just shoot the old-timers instead of having one night of the camp-meeting where we have music they are more likely to enjoy.

How dare they expect us to give them one day out of a week for their kind of music!

Don't you know the only way God receives your worship is through Hill Song? I mean, where you been man? They already started makin' sausage pattys outta old folks. And wrapping them in red backs!
PF Laughing
Acts Enthusiast
5/16/12 11:30 am

Post Re: Wow... krista
exile824 wrote:
So let's see...

I want to kill old people

I'm not saved

I don't understand the heritage of the CoG

The only thing you didn't accuse me of is being the Anti-Christ, yet...

I figured my post would ruffle a few feathers but that was hilarious

Why don't Krista and Bonnie pray real hard for me.

Maybe I'll run for the altar that night (I will be there)

Then several people can gather around me, some screaming "hold on brother!" others screaming "just let go brother" while they shake me real hard.

While we're at it, let's turn off the air-conditioning, open the doors and swat gnats all night long while we sweat through our suits.

You have an avatar of skull and crossbones, which symbolized death.....you come on Acts and condemn our heritage. So what is a person suppose to think about you? You started the thread, knowing the reaction you would get. So you shouldn't act surprized. You knew what you were doing.
The most insulting thing you said though was when you lumped me together with Bonnie. Bonnie is right. We are nothing alike.
BTW, I was only having fun about your salvation. If you don't like the red song book songs, it's no big deal. I prefer the newer stuff myself as well and I hate it when someone acts like the red song book and the Bible are on the same level. So I hear you. Just don't condemn those who do like them. Peace....out! Laughing
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
5/16/12 11:31 am

Post To Krista, "Our" heritage? exile824
I am 4th generation CoG and my offspring is 5th.

That doesn't make me any better or worse by the way.

Actually, I don't need the hymnal, because I know most of the songs by heart, including many of the page numbers. I'm probably older than you think I am.

I did not "condemn" anything.

I offered my opinion and you guys jumped pretty hard actually, even questioning my salvation.

I forgive you for that... if you forgive me for "lumping you with Bonnie." (I really don't know either of you)

I want to see our denomination move forward, not backward.

And my avatar is not a symbol of death. I can't help being a pirate, I was born that way.

Aaaarrggghh!
5/16/12 12:28 pm

Post Ever since ... Mat
Ever since the overhead projector was invented and the split track LP (remember them) came out with "God's Got an Army" Pastors have faced the battle. Old songs verse new choruses, books verse screens, down loads verse printed music; live musicians verse IWorship, etc, etc. Makes you want to take a sword out and cut the baby in half. I have come to the conclusion that some congregations should stop worrying about attracting the “youth market” and worship God the way they are most comfortable with. It the younger minister/member cannot stand the way the older people worship, they should start their own church (most likely, even after you invest in reaching them they will anyway). Old people don’t cry that you have no youth, young people don’t cry that you have no money. Let each group support there own congregation.

As a matter of fact I think parents and grandparents should stop supporting their kids so much. You’ve worked hard to have what you got. You deserve to go on vacation and you should not have to keep supporting little “Johnny” into his 30’s just because he can’t grow up. You don’t have to support his church if they in turn say “you’re stuck in the past.” This generation needs to have their chance at being “builders” just like the last. Churches that try to ensure the financial wellbeing of future generations are endanger of funding the very things they do not believe in. It is the same for parents who try to give their kids everything.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
5/16/12 12:52 pm

Post Daniel Rushing
I agree! I think it is a great idea. One of the reasons Camp Meeting attendance has declined in the last decade or two is the inconsistent liturgy. There is something to be said about common liturgy- singing the songs we know together, from the heart, instead of from the screen.

I have made this argument to several of my friends and colleagues here in WNC. Camp Meeting is not successful because people aren't motivated about it. We come together, try to keep up with words on the screen, and once we actually figure them out we are interrupted to greet some dignitary or take up some offering.

But something powerful happens when we join together and sing the songs of our faith. Common liturgy is something pulls us altogether as a family. Worshiping in one mind and one accord. Hymns are simple, powerful songs that we can all relate to and sing with. You don't even need the best talent in the world to make them sound good!

So I am for it. I don't know what state you are from, but I wish WNC would do the same thing. I believe it would bring us one step closer to connecting us together once a year, when we are so disconnected throughout it.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
5/16/12 1:24 pm

Post I like Praise and Worship.... throughtheflood
...even thought that was what I was doing when I sang out of the Red Back Hymnal. Doesn't matter what particular Christian song you sing, praise and worship comes from the heart and not from a cheerleader up front with a Red Back, or a screen aided by a computer. I like both styles of music. But today when loneliness and questions set in, the song that seemed to help the most was "I Must Tell Jesus"..........Jesus will help me, Jesus alone. Yes it's in the Red Back. But I remember once at Youth Camp, could have been Ken Hensley, had a different version that was taught to the youth for the Youth Camp Choir. We didn't hold the Red Back. It was on a sheet of paper---like some churches use with the P & W words. It was just as powerful either way. Acts-celerater
5/16/12 1:45 pm

Post macgulley
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:
And we wonder why the AG continues to outgrow us?

Oh, what color are their books?

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL
5/16/12 1:57 pm

Post ? ITPOME2005
What state campmeeting is this going to take place at? Friendly Face
5/16/12 1:57 pm

Post Re: To Krista, "Our" heritage? krista
exile824 wrote:
I am 4th generation CoG and my offspring is 5th.

That doesn't make me any better or worse by the way.

Actually, I don't need the hymnal, because I know most of the songs by heart, including many of the page numbers. I'm probably older than you think I am.

I did not "condemn" anything.

I offered my opinion and you guys jumped pretty hard actually, even questioning my salvation.

I forgive you for that... if you forgive me for "lumping you with Bonnie." (I really don't know either of you)

I want to see our denomination move forward, not backward.

And my avatar is not a symbol of death. I can't help being a pirate, I was born that way.

Aaaarrggghh!

But see, this is why it's hard to look past your post. You view it as "Going Backward" if for one night they sing out of the red song book. You're implying we are moving forward if we get away from that. This mindset is actually what sets our denomination backwards and it's offensive to those who helped build our denomination.
Also, if AG is so great...well..... the COG has a door leading out, and the AG has a door leading in.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
5/16/12 2:14 pm

Post Re: ? bonnie knox
ITPOME2005 wrote:
What state campmeeting is this going to take place at?

I'm guessing Florida.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/16/12 2:36 pm

Post Re: ? DrDuck
ITPOME2005 wrote:
What state campmeeting is this going to take place at?

I should be at all but the poster I got for the South Georgia Camp Meeting is where is saw it announced.
Acts-celerater
5/16/12 3:10 pm

Post Krista, again jumping pretty hard exile824
I have a right to my opinion. You don't need to jump so hard... offering me the door? That's hardly a good attitude.

And please do not think to lecture me about building a heritage in the CoG. My family has served in Leadership in this church for four straight generations, besides building churches & parsonages, pastoring churches and supporting just about every program out there. And I personally have served in every capacity, in the beginning for little or no pay. I have over 20 years of successful pastoral experience.

If we cannot be changed from within, then how?
5/16/12 4:59 pm

Post Re: Krista, again jumping pretty hard Nature Boy Florida
exile824 wrote:
My family has served in Leadership in this church for four straight generations

Ah - at least now we know the REAL reason the AoG has been kicking our butt...
5/16/12 5:18 pm

Post georgiapath
Daniel Rushing wrote:
I agree! I think it is a great idea. One of the reasons Camp Meeting attendance has declined in the last decade or two is the inconsistent liturgy. There is something to be said about common liturgy- singing the songs we know together, from the heart, instead of from the screen.

I have made this argument to several of my friends and colleagues here in WNC. Camp Meeting is not successful because people aren't motivated about it. We come together, try to keep up with words on the screen, and once we actually figure them out we are interrupted to greet some dignitary or take up some offering.

But something powerful happens when we join together and sing the songs of our faith. Common liturgy is something pulls us altogether as a family. Worshiping in one mind and one accord. Hymns are simple, powerful songs that we can all relate to and sing with. You don't even need the best talent in the world to make them sound good!

So I am for it. I don't know what state you are from, but I wish WNC would do the same thing. I believe it would bring us one step closer to connecting us together once a year, when we are so disconnected throughout it.

On the rare occasion that we sing one of the old songs everyone in the house is on their feet. Who ever says the young people don't relate to the old songs is just saying that because that is not what they want to sing.
Acts-dicted
5/16/12 6:00 pm

Post Clint Wills
DrDuck wrote:
I was delighted when I saw that announcement on the Camp Meeting poster. My immediate response was, well, that is one night I will be there.

When the powers that be see the outcome of that service, next year maybe there will be the reverse. One night of, so called, worship music and four of the real thing.

This is an equally ignorant perspective. Anyone that says they will only be there on a night that they do things the way they perceive as "right" is wrong - whether it is for the old style or against.

Personally, I think campmeeting is the place to do this stuff. Whether we like it or not, this is not an evangelistic conference - it is for pastors to get together and hang out. Personally, I enjoy attending campmeeting because it is generally the only time I get to see some of those friends each year. I live in a region that takes 2+ days to drive across - we don't really have districts here - there is one other COG within 3 hours of us. So going to campmeeting gives us a chance to hang out. If doing hymns one night makes my elder colleagues feel good, then that's fine - as long as they understand that hymns aren't the only way to God. I enjoy hymns a lot...a whole worship service of them may be a little much for me, but I mix them in when I lead worship.

I probably wouldn't program a campmeeting this way, but I also don't think it's wrong. I think we need to spend our energy focusing on things we see as "wrong" not things that have absolutely nothing to do with life outside that night.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/16/12 6:16 pm

Post DrDuck
Clint Wills wrote:
DrDuck wrote:

This is an equally ignorant perspective. Anyone that says they will only be there on a night that they do things the way they perceive as "right" is wrong - whether it is for the old style or against.

Personally, I think campmeeting is the place to do this stuff. Whether we like it or not, this is not an evangelistic conference - it is for pastors to get together and hang out. Personally, I enjoy attending campmeeting because it is generally the only time I get to see some of those friends each year. I live in a region that takes 2+ days to drive across - we don't really have districts here - there is one other COG within 3 hours of us. So going to campmeeting gives us a chance to hang out. If doing hymns one night makes my elder colleagues feel good, then that's fine - as long as they understand that hymns aren't the only way to God. I enjoy hymns a lot...a whole worship service of them may be a little much for me, but I mix them in when I lead worship.

I probably wouldn't program a campmeeting this way, but I also don't think it's wrong. I think we need to spend our energy focusing on things we see as "wrong" not things that have absolutely nothing to do with life outside that night.

You got the ignorant on the wrong foot. When I was 25 I probably shared your sentiment. At 71, not a chance. Too many years of accumulated experience. No longer have the time nor inclination to waste my time on shallow commotion without devotion.
Acts-celerater
5/16/12 8:41 pm

Post There is a lot to what the Major says!!!! Cojak
Good comment.

I am not against what the Original poster says, just don't understand it.
Personally, I do not care who is the largest, COG or AOG as long as we are winning souls.
i don't care what songs you use to do that, if it works, hey, I am for it.

Also, Bonnie has some good ideas, even if she is a woman!!! Wink
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/16/12 10:37 pm

Post I'll ask it here Ernie Long
My church is dead set to sing nothing but redback songs in church. So I'll ask the question here that I ask them...

What did the church sing before the redback?

There had to be a time before the redback or greenback (we have both), did those in the church before the redback have the same feelings against the redback as some have against the worship songs of today?
Acts Enthusiast
5/17/12 5:50 am

Post Re: I'll ask it here InspiredHillbilly
Ernie Long wrote:
My church is dead set to sing nothing but redback songs in church. So I'll ask the question here that I ask them...

What did the church sing before the redback?

There had to be a time before the redback or greenback (we have both), did those in the church before the redback have the same feelings against the redback as some have against the worship songs of today?

And so I'll pose the question to you... does God bless when singing it? Are the people worshipping? Does it help them in their walk with God? Does it encourage them?

If it does indeed feed them... why would you want to change them?

The Greatest Risk... is the Risk of Regret...
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
5/17/12 6:00 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.