Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Office of Amalgamations, Affiliations in the Church of God
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Amalgamations bonnie knox
Restorationman wrote:
Bonnie Knox the Churches and the whole process is compliant how many more times do I need to say that the church now function as full fledge COG!

Once is sufficient (but at least once, thank you). I guess I wondered why an independent church would sign over their property deed, but I guess if a church is only renting, that's not an issue.

You have a funny way of answering a question.
My question was, "Do the churches know..."
Your answer was, "Fully compliant..." That doesn't tell me if the congregation knows what's going on. I didn't have any doubt we were making sure they were compliant with our demands. I just wondered if the congregation was fully aware of the trade off.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/11/12 8:22 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
I did not intend to attack Bill Claypoole, I don't think I mentioned his name.

Nobody attacked Bill Claypoole! Only the issues were being discussed until someone brought up his name with the fake accusation that he was being scorned and criticized.
I guess there's nothing so emotionally arousing as martyrdom.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/11/12 8:29 am

Post Amagamations Restorationman
Bonnie knox, How could you bring a a church in to the COGand them not know what their doing? If you read the Faith News you will see it built out of relationship and his office take whatever time that the Independent Church needs along with the State Overseer and walks them thru the process as to property all of the large churches and pastors understand our current policy and have no problems with it. Also, why can't folks just celebrate the fact that these are additional light houses of hope that have joined our team and the carrying out a missional mandate to win the lost! Whatsoever, this thread was about Bill Claypoole because it all started because of the FaithNews report period! Friendly Face
5/11/12 9:06 am

Post Amalgamation did not fail... W. Ray Williams
at the last assembly. We have always welcomed new congregations into COG with the understanding they would be COG and not something else. What failed at the alst assembly was a measure that would allow churches to "affiliate or assocated" with COG, but not be COG. In other words, an idenpendent church could be included in conferences, camp-meetings etc. thier pastros may or may not be credentialed in COG and their members may or may not be COG members. I am unsure what the financial arrangments were.

We will always accept a church that is willing to follow our rules and that was not the measure that was defeated.

Ray
Acts-celerater
5/11/12 9:33 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
How could you bring a a church in to the COGand them not know what their doing?

It's terribly easy in many cases to do something with a church and only the pastor or the pastor and a handful of deacons to have any earthly idea what is going on. I imagine that 95% of my church has no idea that the deed to our lovely building and property is owned by Cleveland. In fact, probably half of our people don't even know what Cleveland has to do with our church at all, lol.

Quote:
Also, why can't folks just celebrate the fact that these are additional light houses of hope that have joined our team and the carrying out a missional mandate to win the lost!

The way I see it, they didn't just start winning the lost when they joined the COG. If they were brothers in Christ, they were already on our team (more cowbell!).
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/11/12 9:41 am

Post Re: Amalgamation did not fail... bonnie knox
W. Ray Williams wrote:
at the last assembly. We have always welcomed new congregations into COG with the understanding they would be COG and not something else. What failed at the alst assembly was a measure that would allow churches to "affiliate or assocated" with COG, but not be COG. In other words, an idenpendent church could be included in conferences, camp-meetings etc. thier pastros may or may not be credentialed in COG and their members may or may not be COG members. I am unsure what the financial arrangments were.

We will always accept a church that is willing to follow our rules and that was not the measure that was defeated.

I think what confused the poster of the OP is that the office wasn't just named Office of Amalgamations. In fact it was named Office of Amalgamations and Affiliations.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/11/12 9:44 am

Post Amalgamations Restorationman
Bonnie Knox you missed it it again in this proces the church the pastor and it's leaders are all told the odds and outs of coming into the church .However Cleveland Tennessee does not own their property it's held in trust the state would be the only one to seize their property at the church becomes nonexistent and there's nobody there to restart the church then we are acquired a liability according to the minutes so you were wrong and you're assumption. Also, that is perceived by these congregations as a protection rather than a problem. However, according to the minutes they have five years to decide on that and as to the independent church not being a part of the team before they come to church of God that's crazy that statement was not meant that way because they are validated by God regardless but they have joined us one tributary of the river of God to reach the lost through global network all the Church of God, I'm done this ministry is about those churches that want to be apart of the COG not criticize it they feel this was Gods direction through a process that can be six months to two to four years or beyond if needed! Friendly Face
5/11/12 10:17 am

Post Affiliations Change Agent
Why did the affiliate church issue come up at the last GA? If is is being brought up again it must have been tabled instead of voted down. Its somewhat funny that there is another vote at the GA on this when it is already being done. Does a vote at the GA mean anything? Will affiliation stop if it is voted down again? Have any of the churches that have joined been given any special deals?

I am for church affiliations, but I have many unanswered questions about why we vote on something after the fact when are already doing it.
Acts Enthusiast
5/11/12 11:32 am

Post Re: Affiliations bonnie knox
Change Agent wrote:
Why did the affiliate church issue come up at the last GA? If is is being brought up again it must have been tabled instead of voted down. Its somewhat funny that there is another vote at the GA on this when it is already being done. Does a vote at the GA mean anything? Will affiliation stop if it is voted down again? Have any of the churches that have joined been given any special deals?

I am for church affiliations, but I have many unanswered questions about why we vote on something after the fact when are already doing it.

Apparently, so far, there haven't been affiliations, just amalgamations. But the office is there and ready in case we approve them. That's what it seems to me.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/11/12 2:06 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
However Cleveland Tennessee does not own their property it's held in trust the state would be the only one to seize their property at the church becomes nonexistent and there's nobody there to restart the church then we are acquired a liability according to the minutes so you were wrong and you're assumption.

Well, if I was wrong, I daresay lots of other laypeople don't know either, but you're trying to convince me that everyone who has been almagamated knows exactly.
But the bottom line is, if an independent church owns a piece of property, is almagamated into the COG, later changes their mind and goes independent again, they will lose their property (e.g. Joseph Chambers). And of course, on the other hand, if they owe a debt, the COG must assume the debt (unless they just get rid of pastor, church, and all, e.g. Mount Holly).
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/11/12 2:23 pm

Post Amalgamation Restorationman
Thats why you have up to five years to decide that and by the who enter a covenant with a movement or person with a desire for an out in the first place. The process is trust, process, and relationship built over a seven year period of weekly connections with The independent church. Also, who do you want to have a building with no people and who wants a dishonest pastor or a family of deacons or the masons or a skating rink or the church that paid for it and that's what the COG protects for these independent Chuches! Again, for the last time Amalgamation Office meets with Pastor and Church just like the Overseer and they go over it all and out of a relationship and covenant it works out no deception on our part! As to chambers the Amagamstions department had nothing to do with that it was an established COG Church period! Call the USA Office and give more of the details if you are that concerned about actions that have been through our accountability proces it's called integrity and that's the only way to Gods work! Friendly Face
5/11/12 4:05 pm

Post Bonnie... Grandpa Cleland
Bonnie, do you Pastor?
Will you be at the Assembly? I doubt it.

I was just wondering because you said, "But the office is there and ready in case we approve them"
Acts-celerater
5/11/12 9:58 pm

Post Double Post Grandpa Cleland
double post Acts-celerater
5/11/12 10:01 pm

Post bonnie knox
Oh, my, the we-them syndrome.

I am a member in good standing of the Church of God which means I'm fully eligible to participate in the General Assembly which is the highest governing body of the Church of God. If the pastors approve of affiliations, it will still have to be approved by the General Assembly.
But sometimes I say "we" when I refer to the Church of God in general even if it's not something I'm personally involved in.

Not to worry, though. There is always someone on Acts such as Ernie, wayne, Grandpa Cleland, or even doyle reminding me that since I'm not a minister I have a different perspective.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/11/12 10:10 pm

Post Grandpa Cleland
Quote:
I am a member in good standing of the Church of God which means I'm fully eligible to participate

I understand you may be a member in good standing and you are eligible, but my question was WILL YOU BE THERE to do your duty as a member in good standing?

Quote:
...the General Assembly which is the highest governing body of the Church of God

I appreciate the polity lesson... Laughing Laughing Laughing However, my name says, GRANDPA CLELAND, so I aint no newly...

Quote:
If the pastors approve of affiliations, it will still have to be approved by the General Assembly.

It will not come up at the assembly, nor will it effect that office... that is NOT what was voted on at the last assembly... (Were you there Bonnie? I was, sitting on the floor with the rest of the Bishops)

I guess what I am saying is if you don't know what your talking about, probably not a good idea to get into a debate about something that you don't really have a clue about.
Acts-celerater
5/12/12 7:00 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
I understand you may be a member in good standing and you are eligible, but my question was WILL YOU BE THERE to do your duty as a member in good standing?

No, I along with over 99% of our 7 million member organization will not be there, but of course that does not disqualify me to discuss something on a forum.

The item under discussion was item #17 of the 2010 agenda which, had it been adopted, would have allowed for non-Church of God churches to be associated with the Church of God -- affiliate churches, if you will.
Of course there was all the commensurate discussion of brand dilution, distinctives, etc.

As far as not having a clue, why should that stop me from discussing this; I should think I would fit right in.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/12/12 8:10 pm

Post Truman Here Truman Smith
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

No, I along with over 99% of our 7 million member organization will not be there, but of course that does not disqualify me to discuss something on a forum.

The item under discussion was item #17 of the 2010 agenda which, had it been adopted, would have allowed for non-Church of God churches to be associated with the Church of God -- affiliate churches, if you will.
Of course there was all the commensurate discussion of brand dilution, distinctives, etc.

As far as not having a clue, why should that stop me from discussing this; I should think I would fit right in.

Bonnie who was it that said , " I don't have anything to say but I am going to say it anyway ""
Acts Enthusiast
5/13/12 8:39 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
Bonnie who was it that said , " I don't have anything to say but I am going to say it anyway ""

Laughing
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/13/12 12:03 pm

Post diakoneo
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

Last time I checked members in good standing are the ones who pay Bishop's salaries...they most certainly should be in on the debate, although they won't be on the floor of the assembly.

This is a good forum for members to speak their mind!

Thanks Bonnie!
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
5/13/12 2:27 pm

Post Office of Amalgamations and Affilations TnTidings
I am so glad for the updated explanation as to what Bill Claypoole has been able to acomplish with his project of bringing Churches into the Church of God. 5,000 Members and $1,000,000.00 TOT, $500,000.00 to State and $500,000.00 to Gen. Hdq is awesome.
Bill Claypoole should be on the Executive Committee. We need someone with that kind of connection, vision and ability on our Executive Committee. That would take care of Sec., Office needs.
Hey, DOC
5/13/12 7:18 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.