Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Office of Amalgamations, Affiliations in the Church of God
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Office of Amalgamations, Affiliations in the Church of God mytwocents
I am confused! A faith news article announced the "Office of Amalgamations, Affiliations in the Church of God". Here is my confused reaction:

1) Who is paying for this? In a time of downsizing in the General Offices is it wise to create another department? We are going to vote on cutting assistants at this assembly while we still have departments that do Lord knows what (Men's Ministry, Spiritsound, and now this?)

2) Didn't we vote down or table the affiliated churches idea at the last assembly?

3) Are these Amalgamated churches part of the COG? Are they paying a TOT? Will their ministers be ordained with all rights?

Someone help me here, I'm really confused.
Acts-celerater
5/10/12 7:31 am

Post (L) bonnie knox
http://www.faithnews.cc/2012/05/09/office-of-amalgamations-affiliations-in-the-church-of-god/

I just read the article you were talking about.

From the article, it sounds like what has gone on so far is what the corporate world would call mergers. Independent churches were targeted and brought into the demonination. According to the last sentence, in the article, these churches which have been taken over by the COG will be paying tithes (follow the money trail Surprised ).
My question is what are they promising these churches. What are they telling these independent churches are the advantages of joining the COG?
Many, many years ago, my brother-in-law approached the COG (I think that was the denomination he approached) about his independent church. He was very put off by the what-can-you-bring-us attitude. He decided to stay independent.

(The "affiliations" part is probably a forward-looking concept, a proactive measure just in case the GA changes its mind about affiliations, lol.)
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/10/12 9:28 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
Who is paying for this?

The article says the office is under the umbrella of USA Missions.
My initial reaction is to contrast planting churches where there are none to takeovers of churches some independent person planted.
Someone should alert them to a possible amalgamation somewhere in Georgia. Hey, sheepdog, wouldn't you like the benefits of covering and covenant? Razz Razz
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/10/12 9:40 am

Post Office of Almagamations & Affiliatians TnTidings
My problem with this is that fact that we had a vote on this and it failed to pass. The Late Great Dr. Ray H. Hughes made a speech against it and it failed.
We have been informed that the Agenda for the upcoming Assembly will elimanate two offices, Asst. World Missions Dir. and Asst. Youth Dir to save money.
Now, since last General Assembly we have added two Discipleship Offices, made a seperate office for Ministery to Military and now it is revealed we have another new Office, Almaganations & Affiliations.
Hey, DOC
5/10/12 1:18 pm

Post Telecaster
I voted for this at the last GA, but as the previous poster mentioned, it was voted down and tabled for the next GA.

While I'm still in favor of this, I don't like that it appears the EC has went forward on this measure without bringing it back to the GA for a new vote especially when it was voted down last time.

I thought this was a quest for trust . . .

Maybe until the last few months I guess.
Acts Enthusiast
5/10/12 1:55 pm

Post roughridercog
Telecaster wrote:
I voted for this at the last GA, but as the previous poster mentioned, it was voted down and tabled for the next GA.

While I'm still in favor of this, I don't like that it appears the EC has went forward on this measure without bringing it back to the GA for a new vote especially when it was voted down last time.

I thought this was a quest for trust . . .

Maybe until the last few months I guess.

HQ has worked outside the Minutes for years. They call it "making changes."
5/10/12 2:19 pm

Post Re: Office of Amalgamations, Affiliations in the Church of G SouthGeorgiaBoy
mytwocents wrote:
I am confused! A faith news article announced the "Office of Amalgamations, Affiliations in the Church of God". Here is my confused reaction:

1) Who is paying for this? In a time of downsizing in the General Offices is it wise to create another department? We are going to vote on cutting assistants at this assembly while we still have departments that do Lord knows what (Men's Ministry, Spiritsound, and now this?)

2) Didn't we vote down or table the affiliated churches idea at the last assembly?

3) Are these Amalgamated churches part of the COG? Are they paying a TOT? Will their ministers be ordained with all rights?

Someone help me here, I'm really confused.

I really don't think anyone here on this site can answer your questions. If you are just wanting to blow off steam, ok. If you really want answers, call the headquarters and ask for one of the EC members to give an explanation.

As it relates to amalgamations, that is nothing new. We have the Full Gospel Church of God in South Africa that is an amalgamation with the Church of God, Cleveland. I believe there is a group in Indonesia that is also amalgamated with us.
Acts Enthusiast
5/10/12 2:22 pm

Post Amalgamated is the new roughridercog
emergent Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
5/10/12 2:23 pm

Post sheepdogandy
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:
Who is paying for this?

The article says the office is under the umbrella of USA Missions.
My initial reaction is to contrast planting churches where there are none to takeovers of churches some independent person planted.
Someone should alert them to a possible amalgamation somewhere in Georgia. Hey, sheepdog, wouldn't you like the benefits of covering and covenant? Razz Razz

If I were in this for the money.

I would join the A/G.

An A/G sign out front with an ad in the local paper would bring in a lot of folks.

The A/G brand is just that popular.

I am covered and I have entered into covenant with the Stewards of our Congregation.

We have everything any denomination could offer and better.

No boast just fact. Very Happy

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/10/12 6:22 pm

Post Best of Ideas doyle
Having such an office is the best of ideas. Over 20 years ago, I wrote editorials calling for this to be done. It made sense then and it makes sense now. There's no claim on my part that this office has been instituted as a result of my writings.

If a non-aligned congregation believes like we do, what in the world is wrong with allowing them to affiliate with us, to be under our organizational umbrella? The AG has done that for years.

What is wrong with them helping support our missionaries, send their young people to our youth camps and to Lee University? Isn't there something in the Bible about to have friends, show thyself to be friendly?

It would be wise for officials to give the details of such an office. What will be the requirements to affiliate? Will pastors of those churches be able to vote at the Assembly and choose officials for the Church.

One very important thing. For this affiliate program to work, it is important that those congregations wishing to affiliate with us, ARE NOT required to turn over the deed to their property to the COG.

How many friends do you have who requires that to be their friend, you must sign over the deed to your home to them? It's a brain-dead requirement.

As they feel more comfortable with our organization, and if we wisely administer the new relationship, there may come a time when the affiliated church asks us to help them find a pastor or may even volunteer to become one of our organizational churches.

Even McDonalds, has "owned" locations and "franchise" ones. They can be an affiliate McDonalds as long as they adhere to Mickey D's standards.

I think an affiliate program for the COG is an excellent idea AS LONG as the General Assembly and Ordained Minister's Council is not circumvented to do it. Few things work well unless the people are on-board with it.

Doyle
writedoyle@yahoo.com
5/10/12 8:36 pm

Post Thank You Bill Claypoole Restorationman
This thread had me curious today and I called the Department of Business and Records and received some interesting information. Brother Claypoole has been networking with independent churches since 2004 and in 8 years has brought in now close to 80 churches. The size of these churches range from 50 all the way up to over 1,000. They comprise 5,000 members. Thats equivalent to a AA state.

They have sent in ToT of over $500,000.00 to State HQ and $500,000.00 to international. This figure alone testifies that Bill Claypoole has more than "earned his keep." These churches cover several ethnicities and cultures and have accepted the doctrine and polity of the COG. Bill has no operating budget, no secretary and only until very recently worked "part time."

After months of networking, the State AB is called upon to complete the process. Again, Thanks Bill Claypoole. You are making a HUGE difference in the Church of God. Also congratulation. You have now joined the ranks of the criticized and scorned.
Friendly Face
5/10/12 8:46 pm

Post Yes But... mytwocents
I understand the arguments and support, but my confusion stems from the fact that this action was defeated at the assembly. I cannot, at this time, view this as anything but defiance by those n charge. Acts-celerater
5/10/12 9:33 pm

Post Amalgamations Restorationman
Bill Claypoole's networking of Independent churches has nothing to do with the last Assembly actions these churches are fully compliant with the Church of God period. Also, he has being networking since 2004 and The State Overseers are the indivuduals that he networked them to and he walked them through the process and then the State Overseer of the respective states went and Organized the church! Friendly Face
5/10/12 9:56 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
One very important thing. For this affiliate program to work, it is important that those congregations wishing to affiliate with us, ARE NOT required to turn over the deed to their property to the COG.

I really do wonder if the almagamated churches realize they are turning over their property deeds.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/10/12 10:02 pm

Fully Compliant and a number of them I've heard are leased properties! Friendly Face
5/10/12 10:08 pm

Post Re: Amalgamations bonnie knox
Restorationman wrote:
Fully Compliant and a number of them I've heard are leased properties!

Who's fully compliant with what?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/10/12 10:28 pm

Post Sounds a lot like mytwocents has an axe to grind... Grandpa Cleland
I find it humorous at times that people come on to this site and try to open up a debate, and use the words "someone help me..." It is funny because obviously he knows that he will get no answer, because they don't post here (or do anonymously).

While that is what anonymous boards are for and each person has that right (As i post under a fictions name) to post without fear of retribution, I feel it is very COWARDLY to question someones appointment or job, hiding behind a pen name.

While I have no dog in this fight, I personally, brought a Pastor from my city of an independent black church to Cleveland to meet with him. I found Bill Claypoole to be kingdom minded and with a heart to serve the church. My black brother and I met with him and then we were invited to a meeting with Brother Hagan and about 6 other Pastors who were interested in bringing their church into the denomination.

$500,000 is a lot of money that has been brought in to the states and headquarters, while 5000 members is a lot of people. Instead of trying to push an agenda/man out maybe mytwocents could have been man enough and called the office and asked himself.... oh, he would have had to use his real name...

It sounds like the he does pay for his own salary by the TOT that comes in. With numbers and finances like that, maybe we need to get him a secretary and see that we take care of him. Imagine what he would do then.

*This was NOT BROUGHT UP at the assembly. Thank you restoration man for having the intestinal fortitude to call the office and ask the question face to face (or phone to phone).

Grandpa
Acts-celerater
5/10/12 11:57 pm

Bonnie Knox the Churches and the whole process is compliant how many more times do I need to say that the church now function as full fledge COG! Friendly Face
5/11/12 12:22 am

Post My Apologies to the Offended mytwocents
Please accept a sincere apology to those my post may have offended. I did not intend to attack Bill Claypoole, I don't think I mentioned his name. I was truthfully confused by the article, based on the action of last assembly. Interestingly enough, I voted for the measure that failed last assembly. Acts-celerater
5/11/12 6:21 am

Post Amalgamation Larry Wiley
Surely in this day and age there is something you can take for this. They have a pill for just about everything now.
5/11/12 6:42 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.