Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Proposed Amendment Seeks Re-Structure of Elected Offices
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Proposed Amendment Seeks Re-Structure of Elected Offices deskjet7
From Faith News

http://www.faithnews.cc/2012/04/27/proposed-amendment-seeks-re-structure-of-elected-offices/

Starting to shake things up!
Acts Enthusiast
4/27/12 1:04 pm

Post Allen King
Quote:
The item listed justification for the action by calling it a budgetary issue, providing additional funds for ministry, and a responsibility on the part of the leadership of the church in continuing the restructuring process in response to the reallocation of resources.

It's always a good idea to cut ministry to provide funds for ministry.

Why cut youth and missions, the only 2 departments that help guarantee the future of our movement?

Why not a couple of Assistant GO's first?
4/27/12 2:34 pm

Post Good move, just not enough.. Clyde Walker
We will not be cutting ministry by eliminating these two positions. Ministry will continue right on with less bureacracy. Unless, the plan is just to appoint men to do the same thing. All we would be doing then is just to take away the right of the General Assembly to elect them.

If we really want to have more money for real ministry we should cut out many more elected and appointed positions in Cleveland. Just think how much more money we could have for national and international missions if we cut out 3 positions from the Executive Committee. That alone could provide around a half million dollars a year to be used for real ministry. Actually that would be much more when you eliminate their personal assistants, secretaries, retirement packages, cell phones, travel and housing allotments.

We are so top heavy on adminstration in the COG but no one at the top ever thinks about reducing the positions that cost us the most.
Friendly Face
4/27/12 3:02 pm

Post Walker & Allen, on the right track TnTidings
When we were preparing the Agenda for the upcoming Assembly, I understand, the council was trying to find cost cutting changes that would release more funds for World Evangelism. This is what I have been told. Now, it will be necessary for someone to do those jobs, Asst. World Missions and Asst. Youth Ministry but not at the cost as is now the case. Those positions can be appointed by the Committee with the same results at less cost.
Walker,you have it right, if the Second & Third Assistant Executive Committee position could be eliminated and Brother Wallace Sibley be brought to the 1st Assistant position we would save more than a half a Million dollars. An appointed position of Secretary General could take care of that job. Someone like Julian Robinson could easily do that work.
Wallace Sibley was an historical elected Committe person and if we say we are serious about putting the past racial history aside we will elect him to continue his service to the Church of God. He has done an amazing job of bridging the gap! The other Exe. Committee members say he is a pleasure to work with. Thank God for progress.
Hey, DOC
4/27/12 8:32 pm

Post when oldbigtex
After reading this information does anyone know when this is proposed? It appears this will happen before we vote. I aint too smart on this stuff, but it says we will have a meeting at 200 order of the day if this passes. New Member
4/27/12 11:46 pm

Post I'm against the proposal because ... and a possible solution postmodern
Allen King wrote:
Quote:
The item listed justification for the action by calling it a budgetary issue, providing additional funds for ministry, and a responsibility on the part of the leadership of the church in continuing the restructuring process in response to the reallocation of resources.

It's always a good idea to cut ministry to provide funds for ministry.

Why cut youth and missions, the only 2 departments that help guarantee the future of our movement?

Why not a couple of Assistant GO's first?

I'm against the proposal for one main reason; it would lead to a lack of cohesive succession successful departmental strategy and promoting the organizational culture of success in these two departments. The promotion of the assistant directors gives us all a sense of continuity in these ministries.

But here is a possible solution - elect the EC based on the portfolio they will take on. Below is a list of the organization divisions of HQ

GenOv - Division of Care and General Ministries
1st AO - Division of World Evangelism
2nd AO - Division of Education
3rd AO - Division of Discipleship
SecTrs - Division of Support Services (Business and Records)

Currently, we elect men to the EC without a specific assignment to a divisional portfolio. An example, when we elected Mark Williams as 2nd Assistant Overseer, we did not knowingly or intentionally vote for him to be the head of the division of Education. That was assigned to him after the General Assembly.

Proposal: If we were to elect someone specifically to the Div. of World Evangelism such as Doug Leroy (as 2nd AO), then I could foresee a possible elimination of the assistant director's position. Bring someone like Tom Madden to the EC (as 3rd AO) as the one responsible for the Division of Discipleship. Wasn’t the discontinuity in leadership one of the major criticisms of Conrad Lowe’s evaluation of the Church of God?

However, this would require a change to the by-laws and serving the Assembly previous notice. My proposal would go beyond the domain of the current notice.

As a result of the current proposal, I can only interpret the motion as:
- Increasing the discontinuity in the leadership in two of our most successful departments.
- Yet another attempt by the remove the Assembly’s right to vote for people in key positions.
Friendly Face
4/28/12 6:43 am

Post Billy Humphrey
I like the measure but I'm not sure it goes far enough. It seems to me that we should eliminate the 2 asst positions and 2 director positions. I like the the five GOs overseeing the five divisions as listed above.

The other option could be to elect the WM and Youth & Discipleship guy and eliminate two asst Go positions.

Seems like eliminating 4 elected officers would be better than 2 based on budgetary reasons.
Friendly Face
4/28/12 10:45 am

Post Somebody please tell me why.. Clyde Walker
..we have so many executives in the Church of God. The Southern Baptist Convention has more than 16 million members in the US and they have one President and he also serves as the pastor of a local church.

We also have more executives than the Assemblies of God which has over 64 million members worldwide.

Does anyone other than our own executives think the Church of God would suffer with about half the General Officials?
Friendly Face
4/28/12 5:24 pm

Post Re: Somebody please tell me why.. Allen King
Clyde Walker wrote:
..we have so many executives in the Church of God. The Southern Baptist Convention has more than 16 million members in the US and they have one President and he also serves as the pastor of a local church.

We also have more executives than the Assemblies of God which has over 64 million members worldwide.

Does anyone other than our own executives think the Church of God would suffer with about half the General Officials?

Okay, this is my nomination for post of the month.
4/28/12 5:55 pm

Post Restructure Proposed Amendment Restorationman
This is the way I ubderstand it. It's not about removing the Assembly's right to vote people into key positions. Again, as I understand it the recommendation at least relative to WM Assistant Dir. was part of a report given to the Coucil of 18 that was comprised of 3 WM Board, 4 Members of Coucil of 18 , 2 WM area Superintendents, 2 WM Field Dir., 2 State Overseers and 4 Pastors. They are not recommending that others be appointed to do the jhob of the Assistant WM Dir., but that the work be distributed to Field Directors or Interdepartmental personnel who are already in place. As with the tithe fund , a major reduction is taking place with WM. I am told they are reducing the basic budget down to 51/2 million over the next three years. This is from a high of over 13 million a few years ago. I understand that discounting the operation of these two offices will save well over 1.2 million over 4 years. This also comes at a time when tenures are completed. To wait until 2016 to implement this is not good stewardship in light of the missional hinderance and finacial burden it would contribute to. However, just a thought to look at and consider! Friendly Face
4/28/12 7:39 pm

Post Brandon Bowers
If this is all that's on the agenda, then it seems like you guys are gonna have a great time at Disney World!
4/29/12 10:20 pm

Post That's Not All That's On There mytwocents
but because it dealt with the by-laws then previous notice had to be sent out, i believe within sixty days.

My question is can this item be amended to include other positions, or because it is by-law related are we limited to only these two positions?
Acts-celerater
4/30/12 8:05 am

Post Faithful Friend
Will there be any better time than this General Assembly to abolish two positions from the General Executive Committee since two top executive's tenure is up this year? But I am sure there will be "rules and regulations" that will forbid any such thing even being discussed. If our church is in such financial need that we cannot continue our fulfillment of the Great Commission, how can we justify the great expense of all five men, albeit I respect and honor the leadership of all our elected officials now serving. Friendly Face
4/30/12 11:24 am

Post Two Salaries Eliminated? Ichthus77
In the letter to ordained ministers explaining the reasoning behind eliminating these 2 positions it states that it "will save $408,000 annually".

Does that mean that each of these men were making $204,000 a year?

Acts Enthusiast
5/1/12 10:20 am

Post Eddie Robbins
When you consider insurance, administrative support, pension, any taxes that are involved and travel expenses, I am surprised it is that little. Acts-pert Poster
5/1/12 10:25 am

Post I'm Sure That's Not What They Were Making mytwocents
Rather what their office cost us. That would include salary & benefits for the positions, salary & benefits for their secretary, office costs, travel costs, etc. etc. etc Acts-celerater
5/1/12 12:25 pm

Post Clint Wills
Eddie Robbins wrote:
When you consider insurance, administrative support, pension, any taxes that are involved and travel expenses, I am surprised it is that little.

Agreed...I look at my salary (which is very average by most standards). You add their travel expense, housing allotment, secretary, and whatever else, and I'd think it would be closer to $250,000-$300,000/year.

Figure a salary of $80,000. Double that for taxes, insurance, vacation time, etc. You're already at $160,000. Figure a housing allotment of $1500/month (which is very conservative IMHO) now you're at almost $180,000. Add a MEAGER secretary package of $50,000 (after insurances and whatever other benefits), now you're looking at $230,000 - and that's without a single flight, hotel, meal, or car rental.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/1/12 1:39 pm

Post Ichthus77
Compare it to what Billy Graham takes as a salary.
I have always strongly respected him. I don't remember what it was but he set up his association to avoid the trap so many fall under of "filthy lucre" and set a board in control and took a very minimum salary for himself, modest home. I don't know, but I will just about bet he doesn't drive a BMW or Mercedes or Rolls.

I lived in Cleveland before, and I don't think I've seen that many luxury cars parked in a lot (outside of a dealer) than what I saw parked at headquarters but that was years ago.

I think our system has made several millionaires who own multiple properties around the area while so many local pastors are on food stamps and have no health insurance.

Acts Enthusiast
5/1/12 2:19 pm

Post Administrator Post Ichthus77
Where is that good post someone made concerning how the COG has way more administrators than the A/G which has like 10 times more the membership size than the COG? And the Southern Baptists whose top man is also a local pastor?

Acts Enthusiast
5/1/12 2:25 pm

Post Ichtus77 JimmieDavis
Would your respect of Billy Graham change if you knew he drove a BMW. If so, you don't have respect for him. Friendly Face
5/1/12 2:32 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.