Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Should COG pastors be allowed to pastor any church?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Should COG pastors be allowed to pastor any church? roughridercog
In other words, if an independent congregation wants a COG minister to be their pastor, should it be allowed?

We have allowed COG men to teach in other Bible colleges and seminaries for years, so why not go the whole route and allow ministers to minister nonCOG churches?
2/14/12 3:10 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Yes I think they should. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/14/12 3:11 pm

Post sheepdogandy
I know one who pastored a Methodist church for some time.

The precedent has already been set. Very Happy

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/14/12 3:24 pm

Post Change Agent
Yes they should, but it seems some are asked for their license if they leave the COG and others are not. This would be a great item to clear up at the GA. It is one of the areas of unfairness in the COG.

The COG has many more credentialed ministers than there are churches, especially in the SE. Would be a good way to get the gospel out by COG trained ministers.
Acts Enthusiast
2/14/12 4:04 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
yes
2/14/12 4:53 pm

Post InspiredHillbilly
Nope, even though it's been allowed. And all COG ministers should have to attend and tithe to a COG congregation.

The Greatest Risk... is the Risk of Regret...
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
2/14/12 4:56 pm

Post Cojak
Absolutely! Ministers are called to carry the Word of God, to spread it and win souls, the 'where' is much less important.

I know it is done, it has been done with the blessings of our officials. License have also been pulled for the same reason, mainly because of the lack of name recognition.

There fore it should be clarified in writing so there is no misunderstanding. WE have lost a couple men I know of, for that reason. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/14/12 8:19 pm

Post bradfreeman
No way!

Not only should they be limited to pastoring COG churches...

They should only be allowed to preach to COG members.

Eat at COG restaurants.

...and drive COG cars!

After all, other Christians don't need preaching, teaching, or shepherding...let them get their own preachers! We should keep ours to ourselves!

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
2/14/12 9:19 pm

Post Kyle Morrow
Brad,

I know you and I have disagreed on a few things, but that post cracked me up! That's funny I don't care who you are! Laughing
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
2/14/12 11:19 pm

Post Exactly what model... roughridercog
is a Church of God car?

When I was in Cleveland, I saw a few expensive imports on HQ parking lot. I thought, "Those must be cars of foreign missionaries for a dedicated minister of the gospel would only buy American."

So which model is the Church of God model?
2/15/12 9:06 am

Post Re: Exactly what model... bradfreeman
roughridercog wrote:
is a Church of God car?

When I was in Cleveland, I saw a few expensive imports on HQ parking lot. I thought, "Those must be cars of foreign missionaries for a dedicated minister of the gospel would only buy American."

I think its a BUICK!!!

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
2/15/12 9:35 am

Post Re: Exactly what model... roughridercog
bradfreeman wrote:
roughridercog wrote:
is a Church of God car?

I think its a BUICK!!!

A sanctified man of God wants nothing to do with any car company that would accept a bail out. That shoots GM in the foot.

So Ford must be the car of choice for the Church of God.
2/15/12 9:59 am

Post Darrell Garrett
The limitations placed on us are absolutely stupid. Back in 1999-2000 I had taken some time away from pastoring and a friend who pastored an independent church suffered a heart attack. I agreed to fill his pulpit while he recovered. He came back about 3 or 4 months later, only to suffer another heart attack after just a couple of weeks. Again, I agreed to fill his pulpit. After almost a year, he retired and they asked me to become their pastor. I talked with our AB and told him what was happening and that the church was considering coming into the COG, but wanted some time to fellowship with the COG and check things out further before making their decision. The church was building a new church at the time and would be finished in about 4 months. The AB came down and told them that they had to make up their mind right then and sign over their property, or I would be forced to either leave the church or turn in my credentials. Quite truthfully, if I had the last decade to do over, I'd have gone independent. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/15/12 10:04 am

Post roughridercog
Darrell Garrett wrote:
The limitations placed on us are absolutely stupid. Back in 1999-2000 I had taken some time away from pastoring and a friend who pastored an independent church suffered a heart attack. I agreed to fill his pulpit while he recovered. He came back about 3 or 4 months later, only to suffer another heart attack after just a couple of weeks. Again, I agreed to fill his pulpit. After almost a year, he retired and they asked me to become their pastor. I talked with our AB and told him what was happening and that the church was considering coming into the COG, but wanted some time to fellowship with the COG and check things out further before making their decision. The church was building a new church at the time and would be finished in about 4 months. The AB came down and told them that they had to make up their mind right then and sign over their property, or I would be forced to either leave the church or turn in my credentials. Quite truthfully, if I had the last decade to do over, I'd have gone independent.

Frankly, it sounds as if the AB either had an ax to grind or wanted another notch in his gun (church on the rolls). I'd feel the same way you do. I don't react well to being bullied.
2/15/12 10:24 am

Post NPS39
I think we should be able to, as long as the church is agreeable to what we believe, at least in scope...we are in unity not uniformity!

And we need to be consistent. When I pastored in IL I had a friend who was the worship pastor at a large independent church, still maintained his credentials, reported faithfully and all that stuff, had been doing this for a number of years. The overseer decided to check on all the ministers reporting to that state office, called my friend and gave him ultimatums, he had to be in a CoG, or turn in his credentials, this life long CoG member, son of a present CoG pastor, turned in his credentials. At the same time at a Presbyterian church an hour from the state office a retired CoG guy was the pastor, and the overseer had no issue with it. If we're going to make these kind of calls, be consistent.

I don't think it should be an issue...didn't Jesus say something about the other sheep...go ahead and let them cast out devils too?
Acts Enthusiast
2/15/12 10:50 am

Post Darrell Garrett
NPS39 wrote:
I think we should be able to, as long as the church is agreeable to what we believe, at least in scope...we are in unity not uniformity!

And we need to be consistent. When I pastored in IL I had a friend who was the worship pastor at a large independent church, still maintained his credentials, reported faithfully and all that stuff, had been doing this for a number of years. The overseer decided to check on all the ministers reporting to that state office, called my friend and gave him ultimatums, he had to be in a CoG, or turn in his credentials, this life long CoG member, son of a present CoG pastor, turned in his credentials. At the same time at a Presbyterian church an hour from the state office a retired CoG guy was the pastor, and the overseer had no issue with it. If we're going to make these kind of calls, be consistent.

I don't think it should be an issue...didn't Jesus say something about the other sheep...go ahead and let them cast out devils too?

I started to mention that Neil. Just spoke with him recently and he is still somewhat "heartsick" over this whole ordeal. Absolutely WRONG!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/15/12 11:08 am

Post InspiredHillbilly
NPS39 wrote:

I'm no longer in the COG, but was for years. I also agree the inconsistency has been the largest source of the hurt. If the rule is/were there, and were enforced consistently across the board, then there wouldn't be as much hurt, anger, and out right harm done over this issue.

2/15/12 11:12 am

Post If a COG minister is asked ... Mat
If a COG minister is asked to pastor an independent church or in another denomination, why not have him tithe to the state office? This would open up ministry opportunities for ministry and a new revenue stream for the state office. The AG has revenue from its ministers that are not at AG churches.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
2/15/12 1:55 pm

Post Re: If a COG minister is asked ... roughridercog
Mat wrote:
If a COG minister is asked to pastor an independent church or in another denomination, why not have him tithe to the state office? This would open up ministry opportunities for ministry and a new revenue stream for the state office. The AG has revenue from its ministers that are not at AG churches.

Mat

Great post!
2/15/12 2:23 pm

Post Re: If a COG minister is asked ... InspiredHillbilly
Mat wrote:

Mat

I would think that's the difference between being a denomination and not? When I think of a denomination, I think of much tighter control, much more structure.

2/15/12 2:26 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.