Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Breastfeeding in church - yes or No (L)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Dave Dorsey
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
My wife found pumping very uncomfortable, even painful. I still don't get why so many find it offensive if both baby and breast are covered modestly.

Can you point to someone in this thread who's reflected that opinion? The offense seems to be related to the indiscretion of an exposed breast. I might have missed a post, though.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 9:24 am

Post Paige Hamby
Inspired Hillbilly,

That's exactly the point I was attempting to make in the original post about women being "proud" these days to nurse. I don't mean that in a way of flaunting it, I mean it in a way of truly feeling pleased, blessed and honored to provide our babies with the best. There are SO many more demands on us now than ever before. I work 3 days a week and I have a 4 year old, almost 3 year old and 4 month old. On my days off, we do not sit at home every day. I grocery shop with my children, we run errands, we go to church, we go to dr appts, we are out and about. To take the extra time and sacrifice to spend hours a day nursing is a HUGE commitment. Too many moms give up because it's not convenient.

That's why it offends me so much when other folks act like we are dirty or "wrong" to nurse in public as if all we should be doing is sitting at home all day caring for the kids (or spending every free moment at home pumping for the times we are out). It's not feasible with all the other demands.

Ergo, yes. Our generation is very pleased with ourselves for committing to giving our babies the very best when so many choose to formula feed. It's a huge time commitment, it's clearly not that accepted in our society anymore and it's a sacrifice. It is also a bond with my children that I wouldn't change for ANY amount of sleep or modesty.
2/9/12 9:26 am

Post Troy Hamby
here's the easiest solution to the whole thing: DON'T LOOK! Is this seriously that hard to do? If your kids ask what that woman is doing, explain to them that they are feeding their baby...not hard. People just overcomplicate things and make big deals out of nothing.

I probably thought breast feeding in public was indecent before I had kids but I wouldn't even notice now.
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
2/9/12 10:07 am

Post Paige Hamby
Troy Hamby wrote:
here's the easiest solution to the whole thing: DON'T LOOK! Is this seriously that hard to do? If your kids ask what that woman is doing, explain to them that they are feeding their baby...not hard. People just overcomplicate things and make big deals out of nothing.

I probably thought breast feeding in public was indecent before I had kids but I wouldn't even notice now.

Like Wink
2/9/12 10:12 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
My wife found pumping very uncomfortable, even painful. I still don't get why so many find it offensive if both baby and breast are covered modestly.

Can you point to someone in this thread who's reflected that opinion? The offense seems to be related to the indiscretion of an exposed breast. I might have missed a post, though.

Saying moms shouldn't breastfeed in public (even if both baby and breast are modestly covered), that they should go someplace private like a bathroom, is saying it's offensive and shameful.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 10:23 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Saying moms shouldn't breastfeed in public (even if both baby and breast are modestly covered), that they should go someplace private like a bathroom, is saying it's offensive and shameful.

Again, can you point to someone in this thread who's reflected that opinion? It seems most everyone has indicated that public breastfeeding is fine so long as baby and breast are covered? But I could be missing something?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 10:25 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Several on this thread (and many in the general public apparently, judging by the uproar) have said moms should not breastfeed in public, but instead should go someplace private. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 10:28 am

Post Dave Dorsey
And several on this thread noted exceptions for those doing so modestly. Were you unable to identify and quote any posts that reflected the opinion you are claiming several in this thread shared? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 10:29 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Dave Dorsey wrote:
In the nursery or bathroom, yes. Elsewhere, no.

Dave Dorsey wrote:
Take your kid to the nursery or the bathroom.

See also the opening post in the thread, as well as several posts on page one for the "not in public" attitude.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 10:31 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
See also the opening post in the thread, as well as several posts on page one for the "not in public" attitude.

Yeah. Most if not all of those folks (including me) made it clear they were referring to immodest public feeding, not situations in which baby and breast were fully covered. Were you able to find anyone who didn't in support your supposition above?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 10:41 am

Post Re: Not where anyone can see... Quiet Wyatt
FloridaForever wrote:
If they have a nursery, fine. But not on the pew.

Sixty years ago, we might not have batted an eye at breastfeeding in church. But in this sexualized age, it could attract the wrong sort of attention.

Yes, breastfeed if you wish...but not where members of the opposite sex can observe.

Nothing mentioned about whether or not the breast and baby were modestly covered.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 10:53 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Eddie Robbins wrote:

I think it is appropriate to ask the lady to please either go to the nursery or go to the back row but not ask her to go to her car.

Nothing mentioned about whether or not the breast and baby were modestly covered.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 10:54 am

Post Re: You dont change diapers in public view Quiet Wyatt
c6thplayer1 wrote:
so dont breast feed in public view.. I dont want to see either...

[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 10:54 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Pastors Friend wrote:
Breast feeding is a beautiful and private action. Don't go in the toilet to do it, but go to the nursery or a room set aside for that.

[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 10:55 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Brandon Bowers wrote:
There's nothing sexual about breastfeeding, but there's also nothing sexual about taking a leak!

But if I dare whip it out in public and urinate, I'm going to jail.

While both are a bodily function of sorts, the organs used to do so are private, thus using those body parts should remain private... At least have a little respect for those around you!

Nothing mentioned about whether or not the breast and baby were modestly covered, not to mention the lovely comparison of breastfeeding to public urination.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 10:56 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
InspiredHillbilly wrote:
Serve Junior his lunch in the nursery or a Sunday School room. At my work, we have a "lactation room" for nursing mothers to pump their milk. This should be done in private....

[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 10:57 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Paige has had the best arguments on this issue imho.

i do believe younger women are more likely to nurse in a social setting - modestly covered, of course.

They do it at my church - in the sanctuary.

We have a mom's nursery - but it doesn't keep you a part of the service.

Seems to me getting the milk at the source beats a plastic bottle - which should only be used if the mother has to work and can't be there.

Just my opinion. I don't have a real problem with it. I also don't gawk as my wife has plenty for me to see in private already.
2/9/12 10:58 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
InspiredHillbilly wrote:
However, I do believe public breastfeeding is inappropriate and should be private.

[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 10:58 am

Post Cojak
Paige Hamby wrote:
Brandon Bowers wrote:
My wife would just pump before she went out, and take a spare bottle of breast milk with her..

Worked fine.

Problem solved.

You're welcome.

90% of the time, that is what I do. I have a good 30 bags left stored up from our time in the NICU Smile But it doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes he needs to nurse to settle him to fall asleep and he doesn't want the bottle. I also find it a waste of time to pump when I can nurse him. With 3 little ones at home, I don't have time to waste on pumping when I am at home. And as it works out, he absolutely refuses to take a bottle from me when he knows he can get it for real Smile

Like I said, I rarely nurse in public. Beautiful as I find it to be, I am aware that it makes others uncomfortable (this is more about me than them) and by baby #3 I've got the feeding schedule down well enough to know exactly how much time I have when I leave the house to when he'll need to eat again and I've nursed in the drivers seat of a parking lot many a time Smile

But I STILL don't think anyone (espeically a man) has a right to judge a woman for nursing in public. Women who flaunt it and whip out a boob without a covering just to throw their breastfeeding hippie power around? I have a problem with that too. But for those of us who do it modestly because our baby needs to be fed and we happen to be in public and I don't want to do it on a toilet seat or in my freezing cold car, don't judge.

Way to go Lady!!! I like your attitude, and MEN do amaze me making some decisions for women. PROBLEM SOLVED! Now bring me another beer and tell me why you are leaving me! Wink

Paige, you point out very well, that there are a lot of varibles that just cannot be covered by simply doing....................! Good on U. Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/9/12 11:02 am

Post Lee Roy Brown
For those who argue this subject I can see it on both sides. However for those MEN who say that watching a women breastfeed is beautiful is somewhat weird to me. It’s a little pervy if you ask me. Friendly Face
2/9/12 11:03 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.