Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Executive Committee predictions...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Comedy HighFive
When I read these lists of probable EC members (as I have done for a number of years before the General Assembly), I am really amused. Amused because the predictions on Actscelerate are rarely accurate. I have checked it after every General Assembly and it is not even close. I read them for the entertainment value and nothing more. I like Actscelerate and read it almost daily but there are not enough movers-and-shakers on this board to change anything. Just the way it is!
1/16/12 12:33 am

Post Honestly? skinnybishop
I don't know enough about most of the men mentioned to make a very informed decision. Of course, I recognize a lot of the names that have been listed here. While I know the names and faces, I do not know the men.

Really, I don't see how the average guy would know the accomplishments or limitations of the majority of these people?

Should DM go back on the EC? Who knows? I have no idea how to evaluate DM as our former PB. In my opinion, we are so disconnected from what is going on, there is no way for the average person to make an informed decision. Most of us just vote for the most recognized name.

Thomas Propes? I know nothing about him, except he is an overseer and seems to be well thought of.

Mark Williams? I know he was a AB also. I've heard him preach several times. He was fantastic each time. That's about all I know about him.....

John Childers? No clue.

Don Walker? I do know him. My former AB.

David Griffis? Not one thing.

My point is, it seems we put people into pretty powerful positions, with very little information and have almost zero ability to evaluate them later.

Can somebody tell me what Raymond Culpepper has done? I don't ask that to attack him, he seems to be a wonderful man of integrity. I ask that to illustrate my point. As PB...how do you evaluate him? Based on what? You could say he took steps to disclose financial information. But what else defines his years of leadership?
Acts Enthusiast
1/16/12 8:32 am

Post Re: Honestly? Travis Johnson
skinnybishop wrote:
I don't know enough about most of the men mentioned to make a very informed decision. Of course, I recognize a lot of the names that have been listed here. While I know the names and faces, I do not know the men.

Really, I don't see how the average guy would know the accomplishments or limitations of the majority of these people?

Should DM go back on the EC? Who knows? I have no idea how to evaluate DM as our former PB. In my opinion, we are so disconnected from what is going on, there is no way for the average person to make an informed decision. Most of us just vote for the most recognized name.

Thomas Propes? I know nothing about him, except he is an overseer and seems to be well thought of.

Mark Williams? I know he was a AB also. I've heard him preach several times. He was fantastic each time. That's about all I know about him.....

John Childers? No clue.

Don Walker? I do know him. My former AB.

David Griffis? Not one thing.

My point is, it seems we put people into pretty powerful positions, with very little information and have almost zero ability to evaluate them later.

Can somebody tell me what Raymond Culpepper has done? I don't ask that to attack him, he seems to be a wonderful man of integrity. I ask that to illustrate my point. As PB...how do you evaluate him? Based on what? You could say he took steps to disclose financial information. But what else defines his years of leadership?

Excellent
Acts-dicted
1/16/12 10:42 am

Post Highfive Larry Wiley
Quote:
I like Actscelerate and read it almost daily but there are not enough movers-and-shakers on this board to change anything.

Excuse me! I am Actscelerator and I shake when I move. Very Happy

Well maybe you are right after all. That don't change anything.
1/16/12 11:26 am

Post Just interested aprilmay
Tom and travis always have good insights. Even if I don't agree always. I still like to read it. Sorry for asking. Acts Enthusiast
1/16/12 12:06 pm

Post Observation HighFive
For what it is worth (maybe not much), the PB (General Overseer) is very limited in bringing about change for the same reason the President of the USA is limited. The bureaucracy and system prevents radical change over a short tenure in office. Dr. Paul Walker was elected at a critical time in this denomination in 1996 after having served as a pastor of one church for 36 years. But his ability to change things was limited as it has been for Dr. Raymond Culpepper. Our governmental structure is such that we can't even change ourself. In the long run, it is not going to make any difference because of the change in the financial structure. General and state offices are going to be "a shadow" of what they have been in the past. Local churches are going to become more independent.
This is true for all denominations. The world and the church has changed and will never be the same.
1/16/12 1:22 pm

Post Exactly skinnybishop
That is one thing that I didn't say directly...but should have. In the end, I'm not sure that it makes a whole lot of difference WHO the PB is...or who the 3rd Assistant General Overseer is.

Faces change in the chairs...We get a new EC.....ho hum.

One impacts me about as much as another...or so it seems. No matter who the PB is or who is on the EC, I still pastor my church and pay tithes. Not too much changes in the routine operations of COG ministry.
Acts Enthusiast
1/16/12 1:52 pm

Post Change Agent
HighFive stated:

"Our governmental structure is such that we can't even change ourself. In the long run, it is not going to make any difference because of the change in the financial structure. General and state offices are going to be "a shadow" of what they have been in the past. Local churches are going to become more independent.
This is true for all denominations. The world and the church has changed and will never be the same."

The above quote by HighFive is my thought also. The COG has gotten into such a shape that not even a very strong God led leader could change things that need to be changed. We get the argument "who is in charge?" Is is the GA or is it the EC? If the EC made recommendations of needed change would the GA vote for it?

It's not going to make any difference who is on the EC. Most pastors voting at the GA are going to be concerned about what affects them instead of what is best in the long run for the COG organization.
Acts Enthusiast
1/17/12 11:30 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
My take -

I want my PB to be able to preach very well.

He is our main representative to other denominations outside of our organization.

If he does a mediocre job when he gets invited to places other denominations are represented - I don't want him to bore everyone to tears - that makes us all look bad.

Now the other 4 positions need some financial expertise - I would expect as much at a minimum of the secretary/TREASURER.
1/17/12 11:36 am

Post What does that matter? Rife Stewart
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
My take -

He is our main representative to other denominations outside of our organization.

If he does a mediocre job when he gets invited to places other denominations are represented - I don't want him to bore everyone to tears - that makes us all look bad.

Now the other 4 positions need some financial expertise - I would expect as much at a minimum of the secretary/TREASURER.

I truly mean do disrespect, but I didn't know we were that involved with other denominations that our PB needs to interact and speak well to represent us well in their circles. I'm not disagreeing with you that he shouldn't, ...I just didn't know that was something that was an imperative.
Acts-celerater
1/17/12 11:37 pm

Post In the "For what it's worth" column. archie
Here are my picks.
PB = Mark Williams
1st = David G
2nd =Don Walker
3rd = J. David
Sec Gen Bill I or Propes
Tim Hill World Evangelism
1/18/12 10:56 am

Post Re: What does that matter? Nature Boy Florida
Rife Stewart wrote:
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
My take -

I truly mean do disrespect, but I didn't know we were that involved with other denominations that our PB needs to interact and speak well to represent us well in their circles. I'm not disagreeing with you that he shouldn't, ...I just didn't know that was something that was an imperative.

It's not - but not that long ago our overseers have been the leaders of the NAE and other organaizations - that's what I am talking about.
1/18/12 11:36 am

Post EC redbackphd
GO: Mark Williams
!st. David Griffis
2nd. John Childers
3rd. Bill Issacs
Sec. Gen: J. David Stephens
1/18/12 2:59 pm

Post Re: EC Eddie Robbins
redbackphd wrote:
GO: Mark Williams
!st. David Griffis
2nd. John Childers
3rd. Bill Issacs
Sec. Gen: J. David Stephens

Sounds like if you have been youth director in NGA and/or SGA, you're in!!
Acts-pert Poster
1/18/12 3:08 pm

Post bigchurchmouse
I believe three of those five have been AB of TN. Also, add Don Walker and Dennis McGuire to the list of men who servied as AB of TN in the recent past and present. Golf Cart Mafia Capo
1/18/12 4:01 pm

Post For what its worth AussieRain
1. Williams
2. Griffis
3. Propes
4. Sibley
5. D. Walker
Friendly Face
1/19/12 9:37 pm

Post EC Restorationman
First of all transparency can only go so far and it falls under morenthan just one man.

PB Williams
1 McGuire
2 Griffis
3 Propes
SG Isaacs

YD Baird

HM Michael Knight

WM Tim Hill
Friendly Face
1/19/12 10:41 pm

Post 2012 EC Revised
Mark Williams
David Griffis
Wallace Sibley
Tommy Propes
Don Walker
Hey, DOC
4/12/12 7:19 am

Post my prediction is redbackphd
GO: Williams
1st. Griffis
2nd Sibley
3rd: Childers or Propes
Sec. Gen: Stephens
4/12/12 8:54 am

Post other redbackphd
Gen Youth: Lewis
Assistant : Blair
4/12/12 8:56 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.