Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Red Wine Drinkers - No health benefit - new study (L)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Red Wine Drinkers - No health benefit - new study (L) Lee Roy Brown
I was driving today listening to Rush Limbaugh and was surprised at one of his segments. When I got back to the office I looked this up. Sorry all you I drink red wine for my health people but it’s totally false, it’s one big lie. I for years have watch preachers or COG members on here defend drinking alcohol because its medicine that the Doctor told me to drink. If your doctor told you to commit another sin would you? Now what is your excuse going to be? Rush was also blasting people who drank wine and used the medicine excuse he said “They are unstable people who make excuses for everything in life.” I’m not even sure if Rush is a Christian but he calls it like it is.

Read it and weep.....

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57357720-10391704/red-wine-researcher-dr-dipak-k-das-published-fake-data-uconn/
Friendly Face
1/12/12 4:07 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Quote:
"I don't expect this news to have a big impact on what we work on," Dr. David Sinclair, a resveratrol researcher at the Harvard Medical School, told CBS News in an email. Sinclair had been featured in the 2009 60 Minutes report. Sinclair said his research focuses on sirtuins and aging, while a lot of the published research papers in question focused on heart health.

"There is a comprehensive body of literature in mouse and rats indicating that resveratrol is effective in preventing numerous diseases in those animals, including type II diabetes, neurodegeneration, fatty liver, and inflammation, Sinclair said. "These results would not be in question, even if some of his work is retracted."

Nevertheless, even if one researcher's fraud had a huge impact on the broader body of work done elsewhere, the biblical reality would remain that the moderate consumption of alcohol is not and has never been a sin.

Last edited by Dave Dorsey on 1/12/12 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/12/12 4:10 pm

Post fortheleastofthese
So I guess Paul had no idea what he was talking about when he suggested Red Wine for health reasons?

Maybe Rush should have his own divinely inspired book??? Since he is the ultimate example of what health and wellness should look like? Rolling Eyes
Acts Enthusiast
1/12/12 4:11 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
EDITED - My bad.

Last edited by Dave Dorsey on 1/12/12 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/12/12 4:12 pm

Post Clint Wills
fortheleastofthese wrote:
So I guess Paul had no idea what he was talking about when he suggested Red Wine for health reasons?

Maybe Rush should have his own divinely inspired book??? Since he is the ultimate example of what health and wellness should look like? Rolling Eyes

This is a weak argument at best. I fall into the category that doesn't believe alcohol is a sin as outlined in the Bible. I do believe there are certain things that are best to abstain from, but not because they are directly sin. More because we are called to be different than the world. I wouldn't categorize smoking a cigarette as sin either, but I would discourage anyone from doing it.
Saying that nobody is right unless they have a divinely inspired book is a little bully-ish. They lived in a much different time when the medical field was not what it is today. If you have stomach issues, there are plenty of options that don't include alcohol.

Like I said, I don't believe drinking alcohol is a sin. I may be more on the fence about alcohol taking such a high priority in your life that you feel a need to argue and debate with anyone who may say it is sin. I don't feel a need to debate my actions generally. If there is something that I am so married to that it could cause separation between me and a brother, then maybe it isn't worth it.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/12/12 4:23 pm

Post Lee Roy Brown
Dave,
Of course those researchers are going to say that. Rush quoted a study that is getting ready to come out (by I think Harvard) that says that Red Wine has absolutely NO health benefits at all. So these researchers and Doctors are going to say it because all of their reputations are on the line. It sounds like the global warming people to me. I’m not sure if you understand but this guy was the guy when it comes to this subject. His studies are what all other studies were formed around.

Surely you are not going to compare Paul telling Timothy to drink a little wine with wine drinkers in 2012. They would drink a little wine because the alcohol was the only thing to kill all the bacteria in the water. We do not have that problem today. Also the fact that Paul had to tell him to do is proof that it’s something Timothy was struggling over. Even though it was necessary for him he still needed instruction from an elder.
Friendly Face
1/12/12 4:27 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Lee Roy Brown,

All of that remains completely irrelevant in light of the biblical fact that the moderate consumption of alcohol is not a sin.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/12/12 4:34 pm

Post Lee Roy Brown
I think there is a bigger point to be made here. I understand the subject of “is drinking alcohol sin” can be argued both ways. However I remember several ministers got on here and defended their positions by the Doctor told me to do it. I remember Pastor Jackson got really bent out of shape about this. If I remember correctly he said even though I’m a bishop in the COG my doctor tells me to drink wine for my health so I’m listening to him. The point is how easily we will shape our opinions and beliefs around science and culture that is proven to lie to us again and again. The doctor tells you to drink wine and we do it without question? What else will we do for health reasons or any other reason for that matter? The truth is we can easily get pulled into traps and must guard ourselves at all times. Just because a doctor or anyone else tells you to do something doesn’t mean you should do it. It doesn’t matter what side of the argument you are on with this subject. It’s directed to those people (and I can think of at least 5 on here) who said they drank the wine as medicine because the doctor told them to. What now? Do you have any problems that you were so easily mislead? If you were mislead on this what else could you be mislead on? Why would you listen to culture and science over the conviction of (sound) doctrine and the Church of God teachings? Friendly Face
1/12/12 4:43 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
You have a reasonable point of discussion there, in my opinion. Defending the moderate consumption of alcohol by virtue of an extracurricular reason is uncalled for. It's either a sin or it's not. (In the interest of focusing on the excellent points you've just raised, I'll certainly reserve my opinion on this from this point forward.) If it's a sin, it doesn't matter if the Pope, General Overseer and World Health Organization get on a conference call and tell you it's okay -- it's not. And if it's not a sin, then you shouldn't have to defend it by saying it's useful because of this, that or the other.

I do have a feeling you're inadvertently overstating the impact of this one researcher's work, but I could also be wrong. I suppose we will see in the coming weeks, months and years.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/12/12 4:50 pm

Post Re: Ought OOO Red Wine Drinkers (L) Pastors Friend
Lee Roy Brown wrote:
I was driving today listening to Rush Limbaugh and was surprised at one of his segments. When I got back to the office I looked this up. Sorry all you I drink red wine for my health people but it’s totally false, it’s one big lie. I for years have watch preachers or COG members on here defend drinking alcohol because its medicine that the Doctor told me to drink. If your doctor told you to commit another sin would you? Now what is your excuse going to be? Rush was also blasting people who drank wine and used the medicine excuse he said “They are unstable people who make excuses for everything in life.” I’m not even sure if Rush is a Christian but he calls it like it is.

Read it and weep.....

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57357720-10391704/red-wine-researcher-dr-dipak-k-das-published-fake-data-uconn/

Wine was not Rushes thing, it was drugs!!!!
PF
Acts Enthusiast
1/12/12 5:44 pm

Post diakoneo
fortheleastofthese wrote:

I suspect drinking water was the issue for Timothy. Poor sanitary conditions made for poor water supply. I guess it was healthier than drinking the water.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/12/12 8:31 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Drugs was Elvis' thing...but most people around Elvis said Elvis didn't think he was a "drug addict" because all the drugs he took were prescribed by medical doctors (however unscrupulous those drs looked like after he died).

Elvis even became a drug enforcement agent - deputized by Richard Nixon.

But to Elvis - he was not addicted to "drugs".
1/12/12 8:44 pm

Post diakoneo
Alcohol is a drug

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/alcoholdrug/index.htm
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/12/12 8:54 pm

Post Cojak
Rush is an authority on everything in this world. I just about started drinking that tea he touted for awhile. I get a little tired of anyone who is the voice of GOD, borrowed. or something like that.

Medical advice? not on your life. Shocked

Political advice, some, but I would rather think for my self. I haven't heard who he is pushing for the nominee, but I hope it is the one who gets it. The man talks about splitting the party, he is the biggest culprit. IMHO
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/12/12 11:29 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
Rush was also blasting people who drank wine and used the medicine excuse he said “They are unstable people who make excuses for everything in life.”

I think you are mischaracterizing Rush. He did not blast people who justified their wine drinking as being good for their health. Where did you get the quote about "unstable people"? Here is the transcript (about a third of the way down the page). I didn't see anything in the transcript about "unstable people."
He seemed amused by it all, and he did acknowledge that "another researcher, 'whose research team conducts resveratrol research at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, told The Associated Press ... that Das is not a major figure in the field and the new allegations will not make a material difference to resveratrol research, which is being conducted extensively around the world ...'"
And I'm sure Rush has had his share of what he likes to refer to as adult beverages.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/13/12 1:53 am

Post Link
If there is no evidence for this particular benefit of red wine, that doesn't mean there are no health benefits to red wine, or that it was a sin for Christ,t he apostles, and numerous old and new testament saints to drink wine.
1/13/12 4:00 am

Post bradfreeman
Since Jesus very plainly said that "nothing that enters into a man defiles him", drinking wine, beer, rum, vodka, coffee, tea or milk is clearly not a sin. The issues are:
1. Does the alcohol cause you to behave sinfully?
2. Does the alcohol master you?
3. Does drinking it in certain circles cause someone to stumble?

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
1/13/12 8:02 am

Post Lee Roy Brown
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:
Rush was also blasting people who drank wine and used the medicine excuse he said “They are unstable people who make excuses for everything in life.”

I think you are mischaracterizing Rush. He did not blast people who justified their wine drinking as being good for their health. Where did you get the quote about "unstable people"? Here is the transcript (about a third of the way down the page). I didn't see anything in the transcript about "unstable people."
He seemed amused by it all, and he did acknowledge that "another researcher, 'whose research team conducts resveratrol research at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, told The Associated Press ... that Das is not a major figure in the field and the new allegations will not make a material difference to resveratrol research, which is being conducted extensively around the world ...'"
And I'm sure Rush has had his share of what he likes to refer to as adult beverages.

Bonnie,
You are right it was Einstines college and I got it confused. I was listening to it he was amused by the people who believed wine could help you. If you have the transcript you will see he talks about the wine and cheese people and laughed at them for siting medical studies for why they do what they do. As far as the unstable part I heard it somewhere either from him or a caller. He also said the people that say wine is still good for you are like the global warming people. I think his point is my larger point. Stop letting modern day science that is unproven and changes all the time dictate your life. I would add especially for the COG ministers under covenant.

But good job Bonnie I was wrong Smile
Friendly Face
1/13/12 8:26 am

Post Re: Red Wine Drinkers - No health benefit - new study (L) Tracy S Hamilton
Lee Roy Brown wrote:

Read it and weep.....

Don't have a dog in the hunt, but just because one guy says something doesn't make it so. Happens with preachers all the time. Just because someone is on TV doesn't mean they are more spiritual, it just means that a lot a goofy people will send goofy people a lot of money. Just because someone Rob Bell says that he doesn't believe in a literal hell doesn't mean that hell doesn't exist.

So, just because this guy writes an article that Red Wine has no benefit doesn't make it so.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
1/13/12 8:54 am

Post Serious lack of reading comprehension skills kindapentecostal
Being that we are suppose to be people intrusted with truth and all, can we please change the headline to actually reflect what the article said? One researcher was caught falsifying (creating?) research data in regards to red wine. It does not say anything about the effects of red wine, as there are still countless studies that did not falsify the data.

Would that be too much to ask?
Acts-celerater
1/13/12 9:53 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.