Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Looks like Tony Scott isn't doing it Joel Osteen's way!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Looks like Tony Scott isn't doing it Joel Osteen's way! Purplebarney
Looks like a battle is brewing in NW Ohio between a COG and a gay-affirming Methodist Church. Here are links to the news article as well as the report on the local news. Interesting!

Channel 13 news story:

http://www.13abc.com/story/15520353/church-billboard-sparks-controversy

Local newspaper article:

http://www.toledoblade.com/Religion/2011/09/24/Debate-on-gays-is-writ-large.html
Acts-celerater
9/24/11 1:48 pm

Post Re: Looks like Tony Scott isn't doing it Joel Osteen's way! p5harri
Purplebarney wrote:
Looks like a battle is brewing in NW Ohio between a COG and a gay-affirming Methodist Church. Here are links to the news article as well as the report on the local news. Interesting!

Channel 13 news story:

Local newspaper article:

http://www.toledoblade.com/Religion/2011/09/24/Debate-on-gays-is-writ-large.html

Good for him. At least someone is willing to say it's wrong.

Patrick
9/24/11 2:28 pm

Post Tony Scott is right...(bad news for some of you) FloridaForever
Quote:
"God's definition of marriage is that he plumbed him and he plumbed her so that the two of them could procreate. Anything relationally between the sexes that does not have that potential, and that opportunity, does not come from God," he said.

Some of you are going STRAIGHT TO HELL.

Quote:
Mr. Scott strongly disagrees. "All behavior is a choice. You choose your behavior. There are no credible tests that I have ever seen that say it's genetic," he said. "Why is it when you find twins where one is straight and one is gay you don't use the same principle of science? If it's genetic it would be one way or the other."

Indeed, behavior IS a choice. But orientation is almost certainly not a choice. It is likely foisted upon a person through a million different environmental variations, some subtle some flagrant. HOWEVER, a person who has a homosexual orientation is, just as a single heterosexual, called to complete celibacy.

There is nuance that should be explored, and will be in the coming decades, if the Lord tarries.
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
9/24/11 2:35 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Good job, Tony Scott!

The "you were born this way" lie is one that is widely believed in the gay community & is not far from the "God made you this way, so you need to accept yourself" lie. I don't believe people are born this way, though i do believe there are things that influence them from the time they were very young.

The Church doesn't know how to handle this topic and largely ignores it. Good for Tony Scott for taking a stand!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/24/11 2:49 pm

Post parousia
Did any of you fellows see this response? It's from "JUST THE FACTS".

Quote:
Church of God is one of the more radical religious groups out there. They love sucking in money from people and getting into politics. I find it interesting that this church found it appropriate to spend the money on 9 billboards, instead of just one to counter the other church group. I wonder how much their followers approve of their donations being used this way? Of course, we could also look at them owning the old Trinova Headquarters in Monclova as their new church. May I add that its value is now $5.9 MILLION. Pretty good chunk of change. They spent $7 MILLION to buy the property. Also according to Areis Online, they haven't paid almost $400K in property taxes. So I would look at these people and first ask, why are they screwing the rest of the local economy by not paying their taxes and how are they getting so much cash to blow on things that don't help the poor, sick, or needy. You know...things Christ would do. This is another pastor who will probably continue to pad his pockets and live the high life and on judgement day get a rude awakening for being nothing but materialistic and get the spend eternity in purgatory or worse.

9/24/11 6:42 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Here in the U.S. of A., nonprofit organizations like churches are not taxed. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/24/11 6:48 pm

Post Travis Johnson
Pastor Scott is really the picture of what a pastor should be:

-committed to his city.
-protective of his people.
-true to the Scriptures.
Acts-dicted
9/24/11 6:55 pm

Post Re: Looks like Tony Scott isn't doing it Joel Osteen's way! Tracy S Hamilton
Purplebarney wrote:

Channel 13 news story:

Local newspaper article:

Since he has been pastoring a lot longer than Osteen, I would expect him to be a little more mature.

Do we have to put others guys down to make ours look good?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
9/24/11 7:02 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
parousia wrote:

Quote:
Church of God is one of the more radical religious groups out there. They love sucking in money from people and getting into politics. I find it interesting that this church found it appropriate to spend the money on 9 billboards, instead of just one to counter the other church group. I wonder how much their followers approve of their donations being used this way? Of course, we could also look at them owning the old Trinova Headquarters in Monclova as their new church. May I add that its value is now $5.9 MILLION. Pretty good chunk of change. They spent $7 MILLION to buy the property. Also according to Areis Online, they haven't paid almost $400K in property taxes. So I would look at these people and first ask, why are they screwing the rest of the local economy by not paying their taxes and how are they getting so much cash to blow on things that don't help the poor, sick, or needy. You know...things Christ would do. This is another pastor who will probably continue to pad his pockets and live the high life and on judgement day get a rude awakening for being nothing but materialistic and get the spend eternity in purgatory or worse.

And your point would be?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/24/11 7:10 pm

Post John Stevenson
Good for Pastor Tony Scott! Acts-celerater
9/24/11 7:16 pm

Post Rodney Mullins
Tony is a man of the deepest levels of integrity and conviction. He is a gifted leader and as Travis say's he is what a pastor should be.

Supporting Him in prayer

www.lcogoh.com
http://rodneymullins.wordpress.com/
pastor@lcogoh.com
Friendly Face
9/24/11 7:38 pm

Post fire-starter
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Here in the U.S. of A., nonprofit organizations like churches are not taxed.

Not always true QW. If you have property that is not being used by the church- say undeveloped land- then it is taxable.
Acts Enthusiast
9/24/11 9:20 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
All we have is the hearsay allegation that TS's church hasn't paid its taxes. Whether or not that is true (highly doubtful actually), it is a very dumb thing to do to not pay one's property taxes if one wishes to retain possession of one's property. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/24/11 9:43 pm

Post p5harri
Carolyn Smith wrote:
parousia wrote:

Quote:

And your point would be?

Parousia never has a point.
Just ignore.
9/24/11 10:37 pm

Post Re: Looks like Tony Scott isn't doing it Joel Osteen's way! p5harri
Tracy S Hamilton wrote:
Purplebarney wrote:

Channel 13 news story:

Local newspaper article:

Since he has been pastoring a lot longer than Osteen, I would expect him to be a little more mature.

Do we have to put others guys down to make ours look good?

Calling it like it is, is not putting someone down. Unless we are so cowardly we don't want to hurt feelings and let continue in sin.

Patrick
9/24/11 10:40 pm

Post Tracy Purplebarney
I wasn't meaning to put down Joel Osteen. If you read some of my posts you will see that I'm very pro-Joel Osteen and I'm amazed at what he is doing in Houston and worldwide. I only put his name in the headline of my original post because its a well-known fact that many people (and many on this board) know how Joel always refuses to take a stand when it comes to the gay lifestyle. It doesn't mean that he is a bad person or not a man of God. He just chooses NOT to discuss that subject and that is his choice. I was just saying T.S. is doing it differently and thats all I meant by that. Acts-celerater
9/25/11 1:15 am

Post John Stevenson
Sorry, but I do not like Osteen. Any preacher who gets on Larry King (June 20, 2005) and says he doesn't call gay marriages a sin is WRONG! In fact he went on in the interview to say that he doesn't use the word sin. He also denied that Jesus is the only way to heaven in the same interview.

I use to like him until I saw to many interviews and really listened to what he said.

Tony Scott on the other hand is a great guy. He is not condemning people just stating what the Word of God says. People tend to confuse conviction for condemnation.
Acts-celerater
9/25/11 8:05 am

Post Joel Osteen Matt Boyd
John Stevenson wrote:
Sorry, but I do not like Osteen. Any preacher who gets on Larry King (June 20, 2005) and says he doesn't call gay marriages a sin is WRONG! In fact he went on in the interview to say that he doesn't use the word sin. He also denied that Jesus is the only way to heaven in the same interview.

I use to like him until I saw to many interviews and really listened to what he said.

Tony Scott on the other hand is a great guy. He is not condemning people just stating what the Word of God says. People tend to confuse conviction for condemnation.

I hope you are praying to Joel Osteen. God has placed him in a position of great influence for His purposes!

Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwCea-BTbx8&feature=related[url][/url][/quote]
Friendly Face
9/25/11 11:56 am

Post I agree in part Larry Wiley
Quote:
"I'm somewhat surprised it didn't happen earlier," she said. "We felt it important to express our faith this way. I think people have the right to express their faith the way they see fit, and I think it helps the community to know where churches stand."

Not sure what this has to do with "faith", but I agree, they have the right to express.

I am proud of Tony for standing on the Word.

First time I saw Tony was when he preached the N. Ga. Campmeeting in 1979 or 1980. Don't know the man but apparently he has done a great job in Toledo.
9/25/11 12:46 pm

Post Taxes HighFive
In Ohio (as well as other states) any religious property used as offices, etc and not for worship is subject to taxes. The Northern Ohio COG office dealt with that issue.
9/25/11 7:29 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.