Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I love the Church Of God Because ....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Lifer
Cojak, I have found that a lot of people are wrong because they want to be right so much, they have to demand that their side of the story is heard by everyone.

My dad and your dad knew that the only truth was Jesus Christ and that is what they were the best at telling. That does not mean that neither one of them had no fun. The stories told about those two would fill many books. Your dad and my day knew how to have fun, but they also knew how to reach the lost and they also knew how to make even that fun.
Friendly Face
8/17/11 11:09 am

Post Perception is reality Mark Ledbetter
even though it is not the truth.
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
8/17/11 4:47 pm

Post I love the Church of God because... Jerry Lawson
I love the Church of God because I found the 2 greatest gifts in my life in the Church of God.

1. My Savior
    2. My wife

What's not to love about that?

Jerry Lawson
www.24toDouble.org
Acts-celerater
8/17/11 4:57 pm

Post I Love the Church of God because... FloridaForever
I believe it to be the BEST denomination on earth. Period. Yes, I don't agree with certain things, but nowhere else on earth do you get so much good in one place. I've seen churches whose doctrine was a little more to my liking, but they did not have the holiness and Pentecostal aspects that I treasure.

I don't know of any organization that sparks such instant camaraderie and fellowship just by finding out that the other person belongs to the Church of God.

Even with the differences of opinion I have on doctrine, it is (to my thinking) relatively minor, and does not make a lick of difference in terms of practical expression. That is, even if I do not embrace inerrancy, the practical outcome is the same: I still believe in Pentecost, Jesus is Lord, etc.

I love the Church of God because even though I would wish our leadership would become more transparent--believe they NEED to become more transparent--the truth is that I trust them completely. That doesn't mean they are perfect, but I believe they are sincere. They have their reasons for not being transparent. It may not be a good enough reason to suit me and others, but I don't think it's because our leaders have done wrong. Yes, release the numbers...but even if they don't, and even if we all keep cajoling them to do so, at the end of the day, these are men that we love respect, and admire.

I love the Church of God because I was born, saved, sanctified, filled with the Holy Ghost, married, and on and on in the Church of God. Every gift that God gave me was attached to the Church of God. If I can play music, it is because the church encouraged my ability. If I can write, it was honed doing the church bulletin. And so forth.

I love the Church of God because I love Church of God PEOPLE. If you been raised on church dinners, fellowship suppers, homecomings, and all the ways we come up with to get together, you get to the place where Church of God folks are you're kind of people. I hate to say it, but when I'm with some Pentecostal folks, since I don't know their heritage, I can sometimes get that "Children of the Corn" feeling...if you know what I mean. But not with Church of God folks.

I could go on, but you get the idea.
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
8/17/11 5:23 pm

Post Re: I love the Church of God because... Tracy S Hamilton
Jerry Lawson wrote:
I love the Church of God because I found the 2 greatest gifts in my life in the Church of God.

1. My Savior
    2. My wife

What's not to love about that?

Jerry Lawson
www.24toDouble.org

Wow.... same here. I grew up in the COG.... got saved.... met my wife at Youth Camp..... called into ministry at COG Youth Camp, and the rest they say is history.

That being said, I like what Eddie mentioned. We have a VERY dysfunctional family. I love them. But some on here from time to time sound more in love with the COG than they do with Jesus.

The COG did not die for me, so I won't die for them. I guess that is another topic.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
8/19/11 8:55 am

Post Much good but... doyle
There is much good to say about the Church of God organization and anyone is welcome to say a bunch of it here. We welcome posts that say good things about our church.

However, the idea that the Church of God organization is tolerant of those who may disagree with a policy, is the furthest from the case.

Truth is, almost no opportunity is provided for those on the field to agree or disagree. Once every two years, if they can afford to go to the General Assembly, if they can get recognized from the "Chair," they may have two minutes to state their case either way.

If they can spend that kind of money to get there and can get recognized so they can step to a mike, that means they have about one minute a year for input.

There have been major attempts the past three Assemblies, by church officials, to strip the local minister of even that possible two minutes every two years. A major attempt has been and is being made to only have Assembly every four years.

The major problem with that isn't financial. The major problem is that it robs the local minster and members of having any input into the church they support with their very life's breath and money.

The Assembly is the only official place local ministers have input into the General church.

Almost all official organizational meetings are held behind closed doors without local ministers or members being able to even attend. The Minutes of those meetings are not published so local ministers, those tasked with sending in the funding for the Church, don't even know what is being considered or voted on.

If they request a financial statement, they are labeled as one top officials stated, "Out to destroy the Church of God." That genius statement came from a former General Overseer, not one of the present officials.

And the COG record of tolerance for those who disagree, is one of the most dismal. Ministers with a lifetime of faithful service feel that to protect themselves for sharing an opinion, they must use a pen name instead of their real name.

Again, there is a ton of good things about the COG and there is much to love about our church but openness and tolerance for a differing opinion are definitely not among them.

Doyle
8/19/11 4:27 pm

Post I love our foundation Mark Hardgrove
I personally am glad that while there is freedom to express one's self, we do not change with every wind of doctrine. There must be consistency and stability and I'm glad we have it.
Dean & VP for Academics at BHU
http://www.beulah.org/
Acts-celerater
8/19/11 4:40 pm

Post Kyle Morrow
Leave it to Doyle to take a post on Loving the Church of God and post a message on all that is wrong with the Church of God. I know. I know. It's his board, he can do what he wants.

The Church of God has been very tolerant of those who disagree with its policies in my opinion. I think our leadership has attempted to build bridges with those who have been unsupportive in the past.

If there were a better denomination I'd be a part of it. I am blessed to be a part of the Church of God, and today is her 125th birthday. What an honor, to be a part of the oldest PENTECOSTAL denomination in the world!
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
8/19/11 4:58 pm

Post ITPOME2005
Yes Kyle, if there were a better denomination, I'd be there too! However, I feel sometimes we are on the slippery slope of becoming Pentecostal in word only, and not in deed. Friendly Face
8/19/11 5:33 pm

Post bradfreeman
Kyle Morrow wrote:
The Church of God has been very tolerant of those who disagree with its policies in my opinion.

By tolerant, do you mean bringing them up on charges?

Quote:
I think our leadership has attempted to build bridges with those who have been unsupportive in the past.

By bridges, do you mean telling them "if you don't agree with us, take that bridge out of the organization"?

We need a lot of work in this area. A lot.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
8/19/11 5:44 pm

Post Just a question? Tracy S Hamilton
Kyle Morrow wrote:
Leave it to Doyle to take a post on Loving the Church of God and post a message on all that is wrong with the Church of God. I know. I know. It's his board, he can do what he wants.

The Church of God has been very tolerant of those who disagree with its policies in my opinion. I think our leadership has attempted to build bridges with those who have been unsupportive in the past.

If there were a better denomination I'd be a part of it. I am blessed to be a part of the Church of God, and today is her 125th birthday. What an honor, to be a part of the oldest PENTECOSTAL denomination in the world!

How do you know that the COG has been very tolerant of those who disagree with its policies?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
8/20/11 10:57 am

Post Phillip Johnson
Kyle Morrow wrote:

This thread was a post on Loving the Church of God in the title of the thread only. This thread was established as an attempt by Mark Hardgrove to slam people with whom he disagrees and disguise it with nice words about the denomination as was proven by LC. It's a shame that he would do that, but at least he didn't make a Kyle Morrow type of equivocation about it. Unfortunately he didn't directly man up to it, but he has plead no contest by not responding directly to the question that has an obvious answer.

Many wonderful things could be said about the COG without insulting others.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
8/20/11 2:37 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Quote:
The Church of God has been very tolerant of those who disagree with its policies in my opinion

Speaking of Doyle....ask him about this. Shocked
Acts-pert Poster
8/20/11 4:34 pm

Post Kyle Morrow
Phillip Johnson wrote:
Kyle Morrow wrote:

This thread was a post on Loving the Church of God in the title of the thread only. This thread was established as an attempt by Mark Hardgrove to slam people with whom he disagrees and disguise it with nice words about the denomination as was proven by LC. It's a shame that he would do that, but at least he didn't make a Kyle Morrow type of equivocation about it. Unfortunately he didn't directly man up to it, but he has plead no contest by not responding directly to the question that has an obvious answer.

You are an angry little man aren't you. Rolling Eyes
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
8/20/11 5:12 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
He is working on being "little" and good for him!! Very Happy I don't know about the angry part. Acts-pert Poster
8/20/11 5:21 pm

Post Phillip Johnson
Kyle Morrow wrote:
Phillip Johnson wrote:
Kyle Morrow wrote:

You are an angry little man aren't you. Rolling Eyes

No, I'm just calling it like it is without sugar coating. What Eddie said! Haha
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
8/20/11 6:31 pm

Post because redbackphd
they have the Redback Hymnal Member
8/26/11 1:49 pm

Post I love the COG because... JLA777
A friend of mine sent me an in box on face book back in July of 2010 basically asking this same question... So I thought I would just copy and paste in part her question and my response for this thread. Smile

* joany, are you sold out and stuck on Church of God as a denomination? If so , why? curious..

* I love, love COG ___ and I love the structure of it! ...but more than COG, I love, love God even more! lol... All I can say is, God has set my face like a flint inside of it and until He moves me, I can not be moved! There is something about the structure, the organizational (political) leadership in it and the accountability.. They accomplish much for The Kingdom of God, cover areas wide and far! Good spirit filled men! Men of integrity, not easily shaken and strong in the Word of God! And good spirit filled women. I like that! To some, it may look as though it's 'in a box', but, in reality, that is so far from the truth! ☺ I respect some of the other denominations as well, but God has me with a loyal heart where He has me for now! lol

* That’s really a good explanation Joany..thank you for taking the time to show me your heart on this..I just was curious..I don't have anything neg. or anything in my heart about them...but could see your passion for the denomination for a long time and just was curious what you see in it that made you feel this way.

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen! Philemon 1:25

https://www.facebook.com/joanylouise
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
8/28/11 3:11 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.