Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Have you ever crashed emotionally?...men?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Physical State Affects Perception of Spiritual Reality Quiet Wyatt
Today I happened across the following very interesting (and I think very helpful) quote from Rev. Daniel Steele, Holiness Methodist writer from the 19th century, and thought it may provide good food for thought:

Quote:
2. The idea that conscious fellowship with God is dependent on right physical conditions explains the utterance of Jesus on the cross, "My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?" After the incarnation, the intercourse of the Son of God with His Father was subject to physical conditions, the same as that of any other human being. His divine personality never interposed to relieve Him from bodily suffering when hungry in the wilderness and thirsty on the cross. Nor was there any such interposition to prevent or relieve the unspeakable mental pain of the new experience of the sudden interruption of that communion which the Son had enjoyed with the Father from the time when He shared His glory before the world was down to the sad moment when through debilitating pain and loss of blood, His faculty of spiritual perception ceased to report spiritual realities.

To say that this inability to hear the Father's voice speaking comforting words in this hour of His supreme need was a surprise to the Son of man, who construed it as the dereliction of the Father, may seem to some people as derogatory to His omniscience. Our reply is that when He disclaimed a knowledge of the day of His own second coming He disclaimed omniscience while on the earth.

The difficulty which exegetes encounter in this scripture has hitherto been insurmountable. Martin Luther, after meditating upon it several hours, exclaimed, "God forsaken by God! I cannot understand it, I cannot understand it." What a relief it would have been to him to regard this outcry of our dying Redeemer, not as the declaration of a fact, but as the expression of a feeling. This is a view which my recent sickness has suggested. If it is heresy let orthodoxy not roast me, for I will recant if convinced of error, but not before.

If the Father's love for His Son was capable of increase, it certainly reached its climax when He saw His only begotten Son nailed to the cross a willing sacrifice for the redemption of a fallen race. These words of Jesus strongly sustain this idea, "Therefore doth the Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I may take it again." This verse is inconsistent with a real objective dereliction. Hence the interrupted companionship must have been a subjective experience, and not a reality.

http://homepage.mac.com/craigadams1/LOVENTHR/CHPTR23.html
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/9/11 9:30 pm

Post Re: Physical State Affects Perception of Spiritual Reality Ichthus77
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Today I happened across the following very interesting (and I think very helpful) quote from Rev. Daniel Steele, Holiness Methodist writer from the 19th century, and thought it may provide good food for thought:

Quote:
2. The idea that conscious fellowship with God is dependent on right physical conditions explains the utterance of Jesus on the cross, "My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?" After the incarnation, the intercourse of the Son of God with His Father was subject to physical conditions, the same as that of any other human being. His divine personality never interposed to relieve Him from bodily suffering when hungry in the wilderness and thirsty on the cross. Nor was there any such interposition to prevent or relieve the unspeakable mental pain of the new experience of the sudden interruption of that communion which the Son had enjoyed with the Father from the time when He shared His glory before the world was down to the sad moment when through debilitating pain and loss of blood, His faculty of spiritual perception ceased to report spiritual realities.

To say that this inability to hear the Father's voice speaking comforting words in this hour of His supreme need was a surprise to the Son of man, who construed it as the dereliction of the Father, may seem to some people as derogatory to His omniscience. Our reply is that when He disclaimed a knowledge of the day of His own second coming He disclaimed omniscience while on the earth.

The difficulty which exegetes encounter in this scripture has hitherto been insurmountable. Martin Luther, after meditating upon it several hours, exclaimed, "God forsaken by God! I cannot understand it, I cannot understand it." What a relief it would have been to him to regard this outcry of our dying Redeemer, not as the declaration of a fact, but as the expression of a feeling. This is a view which my recent sickness has suggested. If it is heresy let orthodoxy not roast me, for I will recant if convinced of error, but not before.

If the Father's love for His Son was capable of increase, it certainly reached its climax when He saw His only begotten Son nailed to the cross a willing sacrifice for the redemption of a fallen race. These words of Jesus strongly sustain this idea, "Therefore doth the Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I may take it again." This verse is inconsistent with a real objective dereliction. Hence the interrupted companionship must have been a subjective experience, and not a reality.

http://homepage.mac.com/craigadams1/LOVENTHR/CHPTR23.html

Wow, that is very good!

Acts Enthusiast
6/10/11 8:42 am

Post free
I battled depression, loneliness, isolation, suicidal thoughts, etc for well over a year. I was going deeper and deeper into a pit that I saw no way out of. I'd go to my church office and close the door and "hide" from everyone. All of my relationships suffered. I could barely drag myself out of bed, had difficulty studying and preaching. I prayed, searched my heart, cried out to God but nothing seemed to work.

I finally went to my doctor (stubborn male) and described my symptoms to him. He did blood work and found out my testerone level was 189. For a male my age (44) it should have been closer to 500. He put me on Androgel in December and I have used it every day since then. At my last checkup my level is at a good level for my age. My depression, etc are gone for the most part and I have more energy than I have for many years.

This may not be your problem but it's certainly worth checking in to.
Friendly Face
6/12/11 4:46 pm

Post Casey... Jamie Noel
I never understood depression...until I experienced it. I went through the worst 18 months of my life from Jan 09 until July 2010. I couldn't get up. I didn't care about a thing. My attention span was zilch. I had suicidal thoughts, thoughts of how I would do it, and even contemplated leaving my family. It put strain on my family, marriage, and church. I used to preach, watch God bless the people in the church, and then go to my office and curse the church. I looked for every way out. I tried to push open every door I could.

In July 2010, God healed me. I mean, completely healed me. There was no formula. I wasn't praying. I wasn't studying the word. I had given up. I enrolled into a graduate program in August of 2009. It was my plan to leave the ministry when I graduate....which is in two weeks. So, I did just enough to get by for Sunday. But, at a friend's revival service, the entire depression left. I felt it lift. I knew it left. Even in the car home, my wife noticed something had changed. From that point, God has began to give me particular messages to the church. I came clean with my congregation and told them how messed up I was. People have responded with change themselves. Our church has grown, my marriage has grown, and I have grown.

I pray that your healing comes as well. I went through a terrible time of shaking. But, remember, Hebrews tells us that this shaking is so that the unshakable things will remain. He has put the unshakable in you. Its a tough process, but God knows what He is doing.

Jamie
6/12/11 7:27 pm

Post I am very far along and doing well. caseyleejones
Depression, anxiety, and paranoia were non-issues with me till a couple of years ago. I can remember walking into church and the only person who knew was my wife. I had nobody I could talk to. I would walk into church literally dying emotionally on the inside but could muster enough strength to act in church that all was well. Apparently my act was a good one because nobody knew. My wife was a big help but it eventually takes a toll on her after a while. Acts-perienced Poster
6/12/11 8:55 pm

Post I would say that there is many more that could add to this caseyleejones
discussion but choose not to and I fully understand. Acts-perienced Poster
6/12/11 8:57 pm

Post free
Casey, seriously go to your doctor and explain your symptoms and request they do blood work to check for anything out of balance. Friendly Face
6/12/11 10:23 pm

Post I did and all the blood work came out good....in fact his w caseyleejones
words were ridiculously good. I was kind of disappointed because...I know that sounds weird and all, but thought that it could be easily treatable .....

Again, doing much better than what I was and avoiding trigger issues.
Acts-perienced Poster
6/13/11 8:27 am

Post Re: Casey... Cojak
Jamie Noel wrote:
I never understood depression...until I experienced it. I went through the worst 18 months of my life from Jan 09 until July 2010. I couldn't get up. I didn't care about a thing. My attention span was zilch. I had suicidal thoughts, thoughts of how I would do it, and even contemplated leaving my family. It put strain on my family, marriage, and church. I used to preach, watch God bless the people in the church, and then go to my office and curse the church. I looked for every way out. I tried to push open every door I could.

In July 2010, God healed me. I mean, completely healed me. There was no formula. I wasn't praying. I wasn't studying the word. I had given up. I enrolled into a graduate program in August of 2009. It was my plan to leave the ministry when I graduate....which is in two weeks. So, I did just enough to get by for Sunday. But, at a friend's revival service, the entire depression left. I felt it lift. I knew it left. Even in the car home, my wife noticed something had changed. From that point, God has began to give me particular messages to the church. I came clean with my congregation and told them how messed up I was. People have responded with change themselves. Our church has grown, my marriage has grown, and I have grown.

I pray that your healing comes as well. I went through a terrible time of shaking. But, remember, Hebrews tells us that this shaking is so that the unshakable things will remain. He has put the unshakable in you. Its a tough process, but God knows what He is doing.

Jamie

Good well worded comment Jamie. Also good advice.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/13/11 9:32 am

Post Powerful testimonies speedo
Yes, I am the one with the "strange" pen name, but there is a GOOD reason for it and it has nothing to do with a man's bathing suit Exclamation Laughing

I am a very serious and caring person and I will be praying for each of you. Thanks for sharing your stories and may you be overcomers by your testimonies!

Love & prayers.
Friendly Face
6/14/11 9:48 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic