Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Should Christian Women Dress Sexy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Loran Livingston- Cover and Conceal Travis Johnson
diakoneo wrote:
This article from Sept. 19 2002, but it kind of relates to what we are talking about and how leadership can change some things if it wants to.

http://amarillo.com/stories/2002/09/19/bel_church.shtml

That's a good leader dealing directly with it. Right on.
Acts-dicted
4/23/11 7:44 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
It is fine for a church to have a dress code like a golf course. But YOUR personal conviction on what somebody "ought" to wear is not a standard for THEIR salvation. You could spend ALL of your time worrying about what everybody else "ought" to do. What if you had a church FULL of people dressed like you want them. Are they saved? I am SO glad I don't go to a place where the preacher is staring around at people making little notes of how people look based on his opinions. Acts-pert Poster
4/23/11 8:02 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Eddie Robbins wrote:
It is fine for a church to have a dress code like a golf course. But YOUR personal conviction on what somebody "ought" to wear is not a standard for THEIR salvation. You could spend ALL of your time worrying about what everybody else "ought" to do. What if you had a church FULL of people dressed like you want them. Are they saved? I am SO glad I don't go to a place where the preacher is staring around at people making little notes of how people look based on his opinions.

Really Eddie?

So your church allows nudes in the church?

If not - you have a dress code.
4/23/11 8:06 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I said: It is fine for a church to have a dress code like a golf course.

Besides, being nude in a public place is against the law in Georgia. Moot point.
Acts-pert Poster
4/23/11 8:07 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Besides, being nude in a public place is against the law in Georgia. Moot point.

I think its ok in Florida - at least in Miami.
4/23/11 8:29 pm

Post The strict Constructionis
Eddie Robbins wrote:
It is fine for a church to have a dress code like a golf course. But YOUR personal conviction on what somebody "ought" to wear is not a standard for THEIR salvation. You could spend ALL of your time worrying about what everybody else "ought" to do. What if you had a church FULL of people dressed like you want them. Are they saved? I am SO glad I don't go to a place where the preacher is staring around at people making little notes of how people look based on his opinions.

Eddy, I don't think anything you said is even in question.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
4/23/11 8:33 pm

Post Travis Johnson
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Well, you can be nekkid on the beach. But, they'll give you grief if you baptize there.

I had one guy at our Plantation Key campus come to church with no shirt...and slightly inebriated. One of our greeters asked him if he could throw on a shirt. He said he was allergic to shirts. LOL. It's called Keys Disease.

There are no long dress, long sleeve lawn mower type churches here....nothing against them. But, I guess that brand is incompatible with this culture. If that's the way it has to get done, I guess the Gospel just isn't powerful enough to penetrate the islands.
Acts-dicted
4/23/11 8:35 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
What's a "long sleeve lawn mower"?

Wink
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/23/11 9:05 pm

Post Travis Johnson
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Wink

LOL Laughing

I was trying to make reference to the Hawaiian fire-baptized Baptists that Link was talking about, which was a vivid mental picture for me.
Acts-dicted
4/23/11 9:09 pm

Post Link
Travis Johnson wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Wink

LOL Laughing

I was trying to make reference to the Hawaiian fire-baptized Baptists that Link was talking about, which was a vivid mental picture for me.

I've only been in Hawaii less than two years. The Fire-Baptized folks were in a small town in Georgia, the type of place you'd expect such folks to be. Smile
4/24/11 3:14 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Travis Johnson wrote:
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Well, you can be nekkid on the beach. But, they'll give you grief if you baptize there.

Now that's sad right there...
4/24/11 5:53 am

Post Link
Travis Johnson wrote:

I wonder if you baptized people naked if they'd leave you alone. But mix-gendered nude public baptisms would lead us back to the immodesty problem.

I remember someone saying that some church leader early on, Cyril of Jerusalem, made reference to baptisms being done naked. If the roots of it were the mikveh, a ritual bath, I wonder if that was the case. Perhaps it was not a mixed gender public affair.
4/24/11 6:26 am

Post As I observe this post Cojak
I have read the comments on this post and come away with the idea that some men must have women dressed in ‘Burkas’ and completely covered ‘unless they weigh 400 lbs and have been hit with an ugly stick’ (from high school language 1950’s). It comes across that men sin, lust, crave or desire every good looking woman they see.

That is not giving credit to the millions of men including thousands of ministers who ‘DO NOT SIN’ in the desire for a woman other than their wives.

At 17 yrs of age I was married and deployed on a Med Cruise. We hit such ports as Alicante, Toronto, Messina, Piraeus, Athens and Istanbul. NEVER ONCE was I tempted past that which I could bear. Some of the prostitutes were blatant some very subdued. Many were gorgeous. You know what really surprised me ? It was that most of my married ship mates were true to their marriage vows. These were men away from their wives and families for three to nine months, nothing but letters and morals to keep them in line.

To quote a fellow Acts man, “DOESN’T MATTER”.
1. How she is dressed.
2. How she looks
3. How much ‘skin’ you see
4. What she offers…..

IT IS YOU AND ME my brothers and Sisters who commit sin, ‘ain’t nobody’s fault but ours!’

That song that says ‘you gotta walk that lonesome valley by yourself’, is wrong. HE IS THERE.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/24/11 7:00 pm

Post Flip Wilson Religion diakoneo
Flip Wilson used to say, "the devil made me do it." He was mocking Christians who just couldn't help themselves. While I agree the devil can't make us do anything, immodesty has become a black eye to the body of Christ. We no longer feel compelled to be a separate people, but because of the "culture", we must somehow fit in. While Jesus Christ became a curse for us and was crucified outside the gate, we want to "fit in". Sorry you can paint it anyway you want to, but is still not being separate.

We should not do it because of manmade rules or regulations either, but the cross of Jesus Christ should compel us to be different than the culture. Christ called us to be salt in the earth (the people of it not the soil). Salt has 2 qualities as a preservative and flavor enhancer. It is both at the same time, not one or the other. If it has lost it's savor; it has also lost it's preserving qualities. How can it regain it's saltiness or it's ability to be a preservative, it is no good for anything! When the church loses it's "different quality" (not by rules, but by a crucified flesh)then it loses it's influence on the culture, that is where we are today.

I don't think immodesty has caused this, don't get me wrong and start throwing stones. I think this is a symptom, rather than a cause.

jmo
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/26/11 8:08 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Quote:
We no longer feel compelled to be a separate people, but because of the "culture", we must somehow fit in

If we want to be separate people.....love your neighbor as yourself. Love the Lord with all your heart, mind, soul and strength. Turn the other cheek. Love one another. Do GOOD to those who persecute you. Love your enemies. Take care of the widows.

THOSE are the things that separate us from the world, NOT what we wear.
Acts-pert Poster
4/26/11 2:27 pm

Post Poimen
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Quote:
We no longer feel compelled to be a separate people, but because of the "culture", we must somehow fit in

If we want to be separate people.....love your neighbor as yourself. Love the Lord with all your heart, mind, soul and strength. Turn the other cheek. Love one another. Do GOOD to those who persecute you. Love your enemies. Take care of the widows.

THOSE are the things that separate us from the world, NOT what we wear.

These ought we to do and not leave the other undone. Wink

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/26/11 4:10 pm

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Eddie Robbins
Muslims come out from among them with their dress as well. Acts-pert Poster
4/26/11 5:37 pm

Post This is a "lose/lose" topic for men ... Mat
This is a "lose/lose" topic for men. If you suggest to a woman, or speak of women in general, as needing to be modest in the way they dress for the sake of Christ, you are "painted" as judgmental. On the other hand, if you tell a women that you think she looks good in her clothes, especially if she has little in the way of clothes on, well your sexist, lustful and being inappropriate in your comments. I find its best to keep my eyes open and my mouth shut! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Mat

As they say in the old movie, "here's looking at you!"
Acts Enthusiast
4/26/11 6:01 pm

Post If I had titled this thread.. The strict Constructionis
........"Should CHRISTIANS dress in a provocative,sensually arousing way in public?", how differently might this discussion gone?

I agree that it is ultimately US who chooses to sin or not, but when was that EVER in question on this thread?

It really appears to me that some just want to bury their heads in the sand and say that it's only a problem if "someone is offended" and that there is no real need for much teaching on this issue.

With all respect, I think that is delusional. Dressing "sexy" in public is usually a sign of pride, insecurity, and vanity. These are areas of maturity that need to be dealt with and TAUGHT on. While they are indeed being taught on, specifics should be mentioned. Christian men and women should be taught to examine their hearts and be honest as to why they dress that way. Why does the "sister" wear a bikini in her front yard while washing her car? Why does the "brother" jog through town without a shirt after pumping iron at the gym?

Respectfully I add, it alarms me that we would not think it appropriate for a State official to get involved if a licensed minister puts sexually arousing photos of themselves on the internet. What if went from "Daisy Duke" shorts to bikini pics? What if your male pastor did something similar? Would you want your pastor to post photos of himself wearing short shorts and no shirt, posing in a way that meant to be sexually appealing to women? Would you not think that pastor had an ego problem at best, and lustful spirit at worst? Would it not be a sign of a deeper problem within him? Would it not be appropriate then to "go over his head" if he didn't publicly repent?

Twenty years ago, we'd all be in agreement on this.

Last edited by The strict Constructionis on 4/26/11 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
4/26/11 7:38 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Who gets to decide these things? If the sister says that is more comfortable to wear a bikini while washing her car because it is hot outside and she says she doesn't want to mess up other clothes, what will you do then? She says her heart is in the right place, are you satisfied? Who gets to judge her heart?

Why is it the preacher's business what somebody wears in their own yard? How far does this go? How much control do you need?
Acts-pert Poster
4/26/11 7:48 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.