Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Require all churches to have "Church of God" title
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Josh Trammell
Travis Johnson wrote:
"The Gospel ministers to all people, denominations minister to some people, religion eliminates alot of people." - Loran Livingston

bingo Cool
4/18/11 10:28 pm

Post Eduardo Nieves
Like Cojak, I like the see the cog symbol while traveling. However I would not go as far as requiring it forcing someone to place Church of God. The symbol is the only thing that helps me distinguish our churches from other off brands.
Romanos 8:37
37 Sin embargo, en todo esto somos más que vencedores por medio de aquel que nos amó.

"A Church Without Walls, A Place for All People"
El Nuevo Mana
Eduardo Nieves
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/19/11 8:25 am

Post It's limiting... Clint Wills
Isn't part of selecting a name the fact that it sounds good? I mean, it kind of has a ring to it. We changed our name from Bend Church of God to Father's House several years ago now. The church we came from went from 12th Street COG to New Life Fellowship. Using the name Father's House Church of God or New Life Fellowship Church of God just doesn't have that same ring or feel to it. It has nothing to do with being ashamed of the COG because most people in Oregon have never heard of the COG unless they've been in church for years already - and that's not our target. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/19/11 9:33 am

Post Re: It's limiting... Dan Eason
Clint Wills wrote:
Isn't part of selecting a name the fact that it sounds good? I mean, it kind of has a ring to it. We changed our name from Bend Church of God to Father's House several years ago now. The church we came from went from 12th Street COG to New Life Fellowship. Using the name Father's House Church of God or New Life Fellowship Church of God just doesn't have that same ring or feel to it. It has nothing to do with being ashamed of the COG because most people in Oregon have never heard of the COG unless they've been in church for years already - and that's not our target.

Exactly! I have visited 42 US states. In the bible belt, C of G is a legitimate brand name. West of the Mississippi, I have NEVER met a single un-churched person who had even heard of the denomination. The only brand value the name has is whatever has been established in a local community by a local church. In our case, that isn't something that helps us reach the lost. Embarassed
4/19/11 1:25 pm

Post Phillip Johnson
If the priority is promoting a franchise then seeing lost come to Jesus would necessarily be less important. Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
4/19/11 8:26 pm

Post Church of the unsaved? Lifer
I would actually like to see several churches disbanded. If I were over a denomination, I would not want a church in my organization that has gone years without seeing any conversions. How can you call yourself a 'Church of God' when no one ever gets saved in the church that supposedly belongs to God. Who wants that kind of advertisement?

If you are in a church that has not had anyone baptised in five years, ask why. If you are not seeing souls saved, your church should have no name. When people are more interested about the sign on the door than they are about souls being saved, their priorities are out of whack. I would rather attend a church with a generic name where people are being saved and lives are changed than to be in a church with the largest Church of God sign out front and no one is coming to salvatiopn inside.
Friendly Face
4/19/11 10:14 pm

Post Re: Church of the unsaved? Travis Johnson
Lifer wrote:
I would actually like to see several churches disbanded. If I were over a denomination, I would not want a church in my organization that has gone years without seeing any conversions. How can you call yourself a 'Church of God' when no one ever gets saved in the church that supposedly belongs to God. Who wants that kind of advertisement?

If you are in a church that has not had anyone baptised in five years, ask why. If you are not seeing souls saved, your church should have no name. When people are more interested about the sign on the door than they are about souls being saved, their priorities are out of whack. I would rather attend a church with a generic name where people are being saved and lives are changed than to be in a church with the largest Church of God sign out front and no one is coming to salvatiopn inside.

Right on.
Acts-dicted
4/19/11 10:19 pm

Post Re: Require all churches to have "Church of God" t uthdude2000
mytimewillcome wrote:
If I open up a Wendy's franchise, they expect me to put a "Wendy's" sign up. True with any other business.

Why does the COG not require all churches to have "Church of God" in their title on the sign and on their letterheads?

You should RUN for G.O. or S.O. !!!!!!!!!!
4/20/11 9:17 am

Post Re: Church of the unsaved? Clint Wills
Lifer wrote:

Great post man. There does need to be accountability for what we are doing to reach the lost.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/20/11 9:56 am

Post Shane B. Stone
Why would anyone franchise a Wendy's right now? More like a Chicfila.
4/20/11 11:34 am

Post krista
Phillip Johnson wrote:
Brilliant idea.... NOT! Smile

If you don't like the COG, why in the world would you want "Church of God" in the name of your Church? After all, some might get the idea you're Pentecostal or even worse... A Holiness Church. Can't have that!Gotta have a name that will draw people who don't like the Church. Maybe a name like " Coffee and friends Center"? Laughing Laughing
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
4/20/11 12:55 pm

Post Dan E doyle
Thanks for the links. It looks like the Church of God in Zilla, WA has some excellent leadership. The quotes the Pastor gave in the article "Church of God Zilla," were right on. He gets it.

In that case, while the church may want an identity beyond the name Church of God Zilla, they also wisely see how almost nobody every attended a church they never heard of. And having Godzilla with a cross in his hand fighting evil, does get a ton of attention evidently including that feature article in the Seattle news.

Doyle
writedoyle@yahoo.com
4/20/11 5:13 pm

Post Re: Dan E Clint Wills
doyle wrote:
Thanks for the links. It looks like the Church of God in Zilla, WA has some excellent leadership. The quotes the Pastor gave in the article "Church of God Zilla," were right on. He gets it.

In that case, while the church may want an identity beyond the name Church of God Zilla, they also wisely see how almost nobody every attended a church they never heard of. And having Godzilla with a cross in his hand fighting evil, does get a ton of attention evidently including that feature article in the Seattle news.

Doyle
writedoyle@yahoo.com

Pastor Conner is a great guy - even if he does have a knucklehead for an associate!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/20/11 5:23 pm

Post The strict Constructionis
Troy Hamby wrote:
if this was mandated, it would probably spell the end of my relationship with the COG. It's not that I'm embarrassed by the COG or am not proud of my heritage...it's more that our church is a part of the post-Christendom, post-denomination cultural shift that is taking place in America. Calling ourselves "Sanctuary Church of God" would not help our efforts to reach the unchurched and might actually hinder that effort.

Is your church sign supposed to reach people for Christ, or are YOU and your members? I dare say that most sinners out there would not even know the difference. Ninety nine percent don't even know the COG exists.

Prepare their hearts for the gospel with the moral law, and you will win them.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
4/22/11 5:11 pm

Post The strict Constructionis
krista wrote:
Phillip Johnson wrote:
Brilliant idea.... NOT! Smile

If you don't like the COG, why in the world would you want "Church of God" in the name of your Church? After all, some might get the idea you're Pentecostal or even worse... A Holiness Church. Can't have that!Gotta have a name that will draw people who don't like the Church. Maybe a name like " Coffee and friends Center"? Laughing Laughing

Amen!! The preaching of the cross is foolishness to them who are perishing. Christ is MEANT to be a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense. It seems we are hindering him from fulfilling that role by trying to be "relatable".
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
4/22/11 5:17 pm

Post Church of God name.. kingdomkid
The EMBLEM SAYS WE ARE CHURCH OF GOD. You let any other church that is not our denomination display "our" emblem, and I'd say there would be a lawsuit! Besides, there are other "Church of God" denominations. They just have a different emblem. Our "cross and flame" says CHURCH OF GOD! Friendly Face
4/23/11 11:38 am

Post Travis Johnson
The strict Constructionis wrote:
Amen!! The preaching of the cross is foolishness to them who are perishing. Christ is MEANT to be a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense. It seems we are hindering him from fulfilling that role by trying to be "relatable".

Let Jesus be the stumbling block. He doesn't need our help creating more barriers to keep the riff raff out.
Acts-dicted
4/23/11 12:27 pm

Post Re: Church of God name.. 2ndgeneration
kingdomkid wrote:
The EMBLEM SAYS WE ARE CHURCH OF GOD. You let any other church that is not our denomination display "our" emblem, and I'd say there would be a lawsuit! Besides, there are other "Church of God" denominations. They just have a different emblem. Our "cross and flame" says CHURCH OF GOD!

Actually there is a Congregational Holiness Church in Jefferson, Ga that has the Church of God emblem on their sign. I thought that was interesting. It is a church of about 250.
Acts Enthusiast
4/23/11 3:26 pm

Post Link
In Indonesia, the COG affiliate is Gereja Bethel Indonesia (Bethel Church of Indonesia.) In the 1990's, there were lots of denominations, basically, within GBI that had their own headquarters and their own brand names on their signs.

Requiring that all these churches use the GBI name and not their brand name ended up in certain churches splitting from GBI. One of the bigger organizations that had an emphasis on prosperity split from GBI over this.
4/24/11 3:46 am

Post MARK317
Travis Johnson wrote:
The strict Constructionis wrote:

Let Jesus be the stumbling block. He doesn't need our help creating more barriers to keep the riff raff out.

It seems there is an implication that if we have "Church of God" in our name that we are wanting to keep the "rift raft" out. That is not true. If you have to give your Church a name that blots out our name for the sake that it might turn some off and others on, I feel that is for the wrong reason.
Be relevant, do the things to attract the lost, but for goodness sake why do we have to abandon the good and best parts of our heritage just so we'll relate?
Acts-celerater
4/24/11 11:14 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic