Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Require all churches to have "Church of God" title
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Require all churches to have "Church of God" title mytimewillcome
If I open up a Wendy's franchise, they expect me to put a "Wendy's" sign up. True with any other business.

Why does the COG not require all churches to have "Church of God" in their title on the sign and on their letterheads?
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
4/16/11 6:29 pm

Post Phillip Johnson
Brilliant idea.... NOT! Smile Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
4/16/11 7:03 pm

Post This is a joke....right?.... caseyleejones
LOLOLOLOLOLOLO

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Acts-perienced Poster
4/16/11 7:37 pm

Post tithe of tithe man Dan Eason
Report on time, pay your percentages, nobody cares what you call yourself.
4/16/11 8:03 pm

Post Church of God Zilla doyle
May I take a moment and share a different perspective?

Mandating that all COG churches bear the denomination name was the requirement set in stone for most of Church of God history but several decades ago, some of us began working quietly behind the scenes sharing quietly with an almost totalitarian COG administration at the time, why it may be wise at times not to require Church of God to be on all churches.

Until then, most churches were named after either the street they were on or the town in which they were located. So, we had such monikers as "Cucumber Church of God (named for the street), Frostbite Church of God (named for the town in Florida).

Out in Washington state, in the small town of Zilla, the church there still bears the name of the denomination; it's called the Church of God Zilla (with my hand up Smile.

In areas like Atlanta and Charlotte, NC, the Church of God in most cases has an excellent reputation which is enhanced even more by congregations like Mt. Paran and Central in Charlotte. But in some areas that is definitely not the case.

If there is a bad reputation in a particular area, it usually isn't the fault of the denomination but rather because of unwise actions by some who either are members of the church or attend there.

I think in some areas it would be wise for our churches to have their own identity - a name that gives them an identity from other Church of God congregations in the area and possibly put the denomination name in smaller letters at the bottom of the sign.

Why put the denominational name at the bottom of the sign? Why not just remove it all together? Well, there are times when people are intentionally seeking out a Church of God to attend. They may have moved into the area and were members or attenders at a COG congregation back home. Over the years, they've become COG and want to continue.

Or, maybe they grew up in the Church of God but dropped out while in college or when they went into the military or moved away for work. Now, they're married and have small children and they remember how important it was to them to be in church. So, they begin looking for a church like where they grew up.

If your church is, for example, a more modern congregation with uptempo contemporary music and the other COG congregations in the area, most which have been there for many decades, feature Bluegrass music and do things in the "old fashioned way," you may want a name for your church that gives a unique ID to your church.

Most people in that area would probably relate the COG name with services that feature Bluegrass music (good music too) but you want a name that appeals more to the demographic you're wanting to reach.

As the old saying goes, "Birds of a feather flock together," and when people are looking for a church to attend, it is absolutely true. They are looking for one with people who are much like themselves and features music which they like.

It doesn't mean people who sing different music for example, are wrong or bad. It just means people are looking for something that is meaningful to themselves. Why would anyone stay with a church that featured music or a preaching style that wasn't a blessing to them?

Another and possibly more important reason for allowing local churches to use a name on their sign other than Church of God is when people see "Church of God," it automatically says to them "Not Baptist, not Methodist, not Catholic etc. It can come across to people as "Hey, if you're Baptist or Methodist," this is not the place for you. This is for Church of God people."

When in reality, even though the local church is probably founded by COG people and funded by COG people, it may be wise at times to have a name that is more "inclusive."

For years, AG churches used such names as "Evangel Temple." Other denominational churches use names like "Community Bible Church" or "Christian Life Center" or "Family Worship Center."

The local Pastor and local church leaders and the State Office and International Offices, know that your church property and facility belongs to the Church of God. It is under their auspices of supervision and credentialing that a COG minister has been installed as pastor there. So, as long as what is taught there is in compliance with what the COG teaches, why not allow a different name in an attempt to let people know that everybody is welcome there regardless their denomination.

I think the COG has excellent Scriptural standards and when people actually begin to attend, most of them like what we teach. But, they won't discover that unless we can get them inside.

At it's core, the COG is very interdenominational. People can sing in the choir, teach Sunday School or other classes, lead Children's Church, preach and even hold office in the local church without being a member of the Church of God.

They can receive communion and as always, their tithes and offerings are more than welcome even though they are not COG members.

Being part of the Church of God is important to a local church because there is in the COG an agreed-upon standard of conduct in ministry, doctrinal commitments and supervision available if the local church faces problems.

There is a commitment to the Bible being the Inspired Word of God, the Virgin Birth of Christ, the Diety of Christ and of course, the call for us to live a Holy Life and experience the infilling of the Holy Spirit.

On the other hand, maintaining the Church of God name as it's main public identity has not hurt Mt. Paran or Central in Charlotte. It may be that they're so large until whatever happens in smaller COG congregations doesn't reflect on them.

I think you've asked a great question. Thanks for letting me share some of my perspective on the issue. Blessings.

Doyle

Last edited by doyle on 4/18/11 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts-celerate Owner
4/16/11 9:00 pm

Post Re: Church of God Zilla mytimewillcome
doyle wrote:

I think you've asked a great question. Thanks for letting me share some of my perspective on the issue. Blessings.

Doyle

Thanks Doyle for the response. Thanks for the sticky as well. It's my first.

I asked the question in order to find out why this wasn't a rule and your response was exactly what I was wanting to know.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
4/16/11 9:30 pm

Post Cojak
In traveling across the country I don't care if the name COG is used, but for us who are looking for like spriits, or birds of a feather, I like to see the COG logo, no matter how small.

We have met so many COG folk across the country it is amazing. We went to the a COG in Tuson, the greeter had a sister in our home town of Belmont, NC, and we knew her very well. We would have missed that unique opportunity if it had not been for the logo, plus the service was one of the best we attended on a nation wide tour..

That is Just how we feel, we like the name or logo, just something that says who you are.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/16/11 10:30 pm

Post Troy Hamby
if this was mandated, it would probably spell the end of my relationship with the COG. It's not that I'm embarrassed by the COG or am not proud of my heritage...it's more that our church is a part of the post-Christendom, post-denomination cultural shift that is taking place in America. Calling ourselves "Sanctuary Church of God" would not help our efforts to reach the unchurched and might actually hinder that effort. Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
4/16/11 10:40 pm

Post Re: Require all churches to have "Church of God" t georgiapath
mytimewillcome wrote:
If I open up a Wendy's franchise, they expect me to put a "Wendy's" sign up. True with any other business.

Why does the COG not require all churches to have "Church of God" in their title on the sign and on their letterheads?

Simple, they don't want people to know that's what it is. They think more people will come if they don't know that. It's all about the money and the crowd.
Acts-dicted
4/17/11 5:32 am

Post bigchurchmouse
That train has already left the station. There are almost no COGs in our area that has COG in the name. I do like it when the church sign has the emblem or words that say that it is affiliated with the COG. Of course, that only helps if you have already found the church building. It does no good if you are looking in the phone book for a COG to attend in a different city. Golf Cart Mafia Capo
4/17/11 5:46 am

Post Re: Require all churches to have "Church of God" t sheepdogandy
Quote:
Simple, they don't want people to know that's what it is. They think more people will come if they don't know that. It's all about the money and the crowd.

bingo Cool

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/17/11 7:10 am

Post Eddie Robbins
What I would do....I would change the logo, which I have never liked to begin with.....looks like the Methodist logo. Then, I would require the logo to be used in a prominent place. Acts-pert Poster
4/17/11 7:16 am

Post I think it is very important to identify ourselves. revstevef
I don't have a problem with a church calling itself another name, but I still feel that is should have Church of God in the title. Most mainline denoms have there affiliation in the title to identify who they are. I also feel strongly about using the COG logo. There are other churches who use the name Church of God and that is why our logo is important.

I really feel the move from calling ourselves Church of God, is one of the major reason, we have seen a shift to a less Pentecostal church. I have the opportunity to visit many different COG's and I find that many have strayed away from a real empahsis on true pentecostal worship. If we are Church of God then let us be 100% Church of God.

www.reverbnation.com/revstevefarrell
Friendly Face
4/17/11 7:42 am

Post Larry Wiley
I remember in the 70's a church in S. Ga that wanted to change their name to Harvest Temple and the AB would not allow this.

They later changed to Harvest Temple. Now this church goes under a different name.

I changed the Concord CoG (N. Ga.) name to Smyrna Worship Center. Because over the years the church had developed a not so good reputation.
4/17/11 8:01 am

Post shaunbwilson
As individuality became preferred among a Prophet generation (Baby Boomers) and fragmentation and strong preference not to be labeled by the current Nomad generation (Generation X), moving away from a denominational title was a good move. If you're interested in capturing the rising Hero Generation demographic (Millennials born 1982-c. 2002), a move back toward the conservative and traditional is a good idea including stained glass, occasional hymns, and "boring" traditional names which may even include a denominational name. In another 20 years, the churches that will thrive are the churches that are part of large denominational organizations because Artist Generations (Silent Generation born 1925-1942, Homeland Generation born c. 2002-c. 2025) are historically conformists.

Once the Homeland Generation is replaced by the next Prophet generation, the cycle will start over again with independent mega churches.

The churches that will continue are the ones who will shift with the generational "mood". The churches who don't will become a congregation of blue haired people and the church will quite literally die with its members.

If you study the cycles of generations as Strauss and Howe have done all the way back to the 1400s, you'll see that this is a cycle that has only been broken once during the Civil War.

As an aside, you will note that all three Great Awakenings and the explosion of interest in the spiritual (including the spiritual side of the hippie movement) have happened when a Prophet Generation was in Young Adulthood (approx. age 20-40).

And so the cycle continues...
4/18/11 11:58 am

Post NPS39
I don't think it matters, what does matter is that whatever you call it actually and truthfully identifies who and what you are.

How can we say we want less denominational control and this ask that they require us to name our churches in a certain manner? Don't think you can have less and more Rolling Eyes
Acts Enthusiast
4/18/11 4:40 pm

Post Link: Christian Worship Center, in Zillah, WA Dan Eason
http://cwczillah.org/index.html

Doyle, the youth group in particular celebrates the Church of GodZillah theme, but it isn't really their name, and never has been.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20000610&slug=4025861
4/18/11 7:13 pm

Post Re: Require all churches to have "Church of God" t Dan Eason
mytimewillcome wrote:

I currently pastor Prosser Church of God. I totally understand where you are coming from with brand name identity. When we change our name, which will happen soon, we will keep the logo visible and put "Church of God" in small print at the bottom of the sign. We want an identity that reflects our purpose rather than name of town + name of denomination.
4/18/11 7:27 pm

Post Phillip Johnson
I find it frustrating that we (Christians, COG, denominations, etc) are so much more exclusive on such trivial, unimportant things than Jesus is. Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
4/18/11 10:07 pm

Post Travis Johnson
"The Gospel ministers to all people, denominations minister to some people, religion eliminates alot of people." - Loran Livingston Acts-dicted
4/18/11 10:19 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic