Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Would you let some who drinks join your church?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Would you let some who drinks join your church? Curtis Lowe II
I have couple who started coming to church about six moths ago. It took me years to build a relationship with this couple. They have come to the altar numerous times, they will tell you straight up that they have accepted Jesus as their savior.

They have read the church of God book outlining the beliefs of the COG. They love our church and have asked about joining. They also do not hide the fact that they have a few beers on the weekends. Do you let them join or not?

I know what I think but I am interested to see what others may say

"Don't taze me bro!"
Acts-celerater
2/26/11 10:26 pm

Post Link
Is the Lord Jesus considered to be a member?

If I understand it right, He isn't drinking the fruit of the vine now, but He indicated He would again in His Fathers kingdom.

Timothy probably wouldn't be accepted, not if he followed Paul's advice.
2/26/11 10:42 pm

Post Troy Hamby
in a word: Yes. Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
2/26/11 10:47 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I would probably not ask.

Why do they want to join an organization that completely stands against drinking?

I personally do not find the Scriptures to teach total abstinence from alcohol, but since I have chosen to be a part of the CoG, I respect and abide by that commitment. Also, being a former alcoholic makes me personally very leary of even drinking a little bit, but in any case I wouldn't think they would really want to join if they weren't in agreement with the organization's practical commitments.

I have had smokers who wanted to join but later told me they decided to quit smoking in part at least because they wanted to become a member. I never preached against smoking per se, but they were aware of the CoG teaching because they had asked me for the material.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/26/11 10:52 pm

Post Poimen
I don't see how you could if your church fellowship takes a tee-totaler stance. The COG does, right?

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/26/11 11:10 pm

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Link
Is the issue whether they should be accepted locally as as members of the church of God, or members of the organization known as the 'Church of God' with headquarters in Cleveland, TN?
2/26/11 11:14 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Poimen wrote:
I don't see how you could if your church fellowship takes a tee-totaler stance. The COG does, right?

Yes.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/26/11 11:16 pm

Post mytimewillcome
same stuff, new day from all of you Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
2/26/11 11:47 pm

Post Yes kmann1
Beer drinkers are pretty cool. Wine drinkers scare me. Friendly Face
2/26/11 11:48 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I don't see caffeine listed in the Practical Commitments, but I suppose some could say it were an addictive substance. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/27/11 12:00 am

Post Peter Zefo
The real question is "would you accept their tithes?"

http://www.artofmanliness.com
pete has left the building...
Friendly Face
2/27/11 12:34 am

Post Link
Lord Chancellor wrote:

Caffeine is a habit-forming and mood-altering chemical substance and it is an addictive chemical substance.

One could say the same about glucose, which is what our body turns carbs into.
2/27/11 12:56 am

Post Poimen
Interesting LC. Thanks for the quote.

Question -- how does the fact that some evidently do not consistently apply this stated commitment in some areas validate anyone else ignoring it as concerns drinking alcohol?

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/27/11 1:14 am

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Link
Lord Chancellor wrote:
Link wrote:
Lord Chancellor wrote:

Caffeine is a habit-forming and mood-altering chemical substance and it is an addictive chemical substance.

One could say the same about glucose, which is what our body turns carbs into.

Ok.

The Minutes still say what they say, though.

We are to abstain from all habit-forming, mood-altering, chemical substances and addictive substances.

No food then. I'm glad I'm not bound by the COG (Cleveland) Minutes.
2/27/11 5:08 am

Post COG Rules John Hughes
Although drinking to excess can lead to bad behavior, the use of alcohol has been a way to relax, lighten mood and treat sickness for centuries. The total denial of good people from membership is such a moot issue. it is a Church of God "Rule"...not a Biblical mandate. In my experiences as a pastor I have observed many COG members who were absolutly addicted to body addicting and mind altering drugs.....but because they had a perscription from their MD it was OK. Many years ago my father's MD told him that he could get off the meds he was on by taking a little Jack Daniels each day. He wouldn't because of the COG rule but there would not have been a thing wrong with it.

We forbid good people who love Jesus from official membership into the local body or we apply the "don't ask, don't tell philosophy" because they enjoy a little beer, wine or spirits. We never reject their tithe and offering though. I have always thought it odd that we reject social drinkers, but we accept folks who are totally out of control with their eating habits. Every time I have been to the GA I felt like I was at a fat convention for Pentecostals Smile
2/27/11 9:42 am

Post krista
It's kind of like joining the Boy Scouts. They have a creed for their purposes. If you don't like that creed...you don't have to join. It would be like joining in with the Catholic Church and then wanting them to change their doctrine because we don't like it. This is in place because our forefathers saw what the Church would be like if drinking alcohol was a part of the Church. If you don't like it...it's simple....don't join. If you don't like the "rules", there are other denominations that will take you in.........simple! Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/27/11 10:20 am

Post Forest Gumps mamma famousflavius
Forest Gump said that his mamma always told him, Stupid is as stupid does.

If you keep liqueur in your home, its like having a pet rattlesnake.
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
2/27/11 12:15 pm

Post steel
According to the Church of God you can't drink alcohol or smoke, but you can gossip, sow dissension, be a glutton. You can't gamble but if you play the lottery and win you are expected to tithe on it and be a great contributor. Golf Cart Mafia Associate
2/27/11 1:36 pm

Post Please do not drink famousflavius
Please do not drink alcohol. Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
2/27/11 1:40 pm

Post Link
krista wrote:
It's kind of like joining the Boy Scouts. They have a creed for their purposes. If you don't like that creed...you don't have to join. It would be like joining in with the Catholic Church and then wanting them to change their doctrine because we don't like it. This is in place because our forefathers saw what the Church would be like if drinking alcohol was a part of the Church. If you don't like it...it's simple....don't join. If you don't like the "rules", there are other denominations that will take you in.........simple!

So if it's broke, don't fix it?

Where did Christ tell the church to divide into denominations?

Didn't He warn the scribes and Pharisees of His day that they bound heavy burdens and lay them on men's shoulders. Christ has rules for His own assembly. Separating from other brethren over man-made rules is creating division the Lord has not authorized.
2/27/11 1:41 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic