Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Would preaching "Old Time Holiness" hurt a pastor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Hey Bullseye!!!!!!! Bullseye77
sheepdogandy wrote:
You can preach for me.

Thanks for the unexpected vote of confidence.
5/3/06 11:59 am

Post Re: Would preaching "Old Time Holiness" hurt a pas fixn2bl8
I was really getting into Bullseye's sermon. If we take an offering, will you continue? J/K Laughing
5/3/06 12:23 pm

Post Re: Would preaching "Old Time Holiness" hurt a pas Bullseye77
fixn2bl8 wrote:
I was really getting into Bullseye's sermon. If we take an offering, will you continue? J/K Laughing

Don't tempt me Laughing Laughing Laughing
5/3/06 12:24 pm

Post Preaching "Old Time Holiness" would hurt most prea stp89
Especially if you mean preaching traditions and convictions. I agree with what Bullseye and Sheepdog have said in that the convictions of the first generation COG'ers were born out of a sincere desire to serve the LORD and live in consecration to him. I think the pendulum has swung far in the other direction and we have a church filled with people with no convictions at all. There must be a balance!

Paul and Jesus both had the most trouble with people who went beyond the requirements of the Word (touch not, taste not, handle not). The Pharisees were great at straining gnats and swallowing camels. Also notice in I Timothy 4 that the "doctrines of demons" teach a message stricter than the Word (no marriage, abstinence from meats, etc.).

Of course there is another doctrine of demons and that is one of licentiousness/cheap grace (i.e. "let us sin that grace may abound"). The church must ever be on guard against both extremes. Truly without holiness no man shall see the LORD- this message must never change or be compromised.

The issue we must wrestle with is how to define "holiness". I mentioned in an earlier post that this word "holiness" has a polarizing effect on us. To some, it immediately conjurs up images of hairbuns, bobby pins, and cosmetic-less women. My grandmother refuses to wear pants or cosmetics (besides foundation makeup of course because that doesn't count) because they are "worldly". She is a precious woman who loves God. Her conviction about this is born out of her desire to please Him in all things. I have no problem with this. But I do have a problem with her telling my mother that she's not saved because she wears cosmetics and (yes.. heaven forbid) pants. I think a good thorough reading of Romans chapter 14 would serve us all very well.
Acts Enthusiast
5/3/06 1:06 pm

Post One more and I'll hush... stp89
I find myself being too strict for some and too lenient for others. There are some in my congregation who think I'm too liberal (anyone who really knows me would laugh at the notion) because I don't ride their particular hobby horse. Others think I'm too strict because I don't hoist my sails every time the wind blows a new direction.

I think we need to appreciate the diversity among us, so long as biblical standards are not compromised.
Acts Enthusiast
5/3/06 2:07 pm

Post Re: Would preaching "Old Time Holiness" hurt a pas chestnut ridge
that's what I'm getting at Rab. How big do you think Joel Osteen's Congregation would be if he didn't make certain compromises that make folks feel at ease in church?[/quote]

Yea, I don't think Joel is much of a "rock the boat" type of a preacher.
Acts Enthusiast
7/25/06 1:45 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic