Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

most annoying preacher-isms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: A very "preacherism" COG preacher (L) (V) The CoG Bullet
Gary I don't have a dog in the hunt. The only thing CoG about me is two certificates in frames that live under my bed now rather than on the wall.
I do attend one but as a casual church attender.

I guess the essence of my question is this-what is the CoGOP like? The only CoGOPs I've ever seen (maybe 2-3) look very back-woodsy. I'll be the one who has to duck from several on here including Doyle and Hoover (who is likely friends with everyone in the CoGOP) but my impression has always been that they are by and large a strange little closed off bunch. The founder was a loose cannon, and until just a few years ago the doctrine as I understood could be seen as heretical (as the CoG did).

I'm not attacking you. All I'm saying is that you are quick to jump on other folks. You seem a lot more like a fairly traditional hand-raising Southern Baptist than a Tomlinson Church of God/Field of The Woods kind of guy. I am led to believe you identify much more with guys like David Jeremiah and Charles Stanley. Yet, you are an ArchBishop of the Pacific in the CoGOP?

Just asking-all I'm going on is my impression.

Bullet

\
Pastor Gary wrote:
The CoG Bullet wrote:
seriously Gary-I agree with your sentiment-but I have to wonder-are all CoGOP pastors now erudite scholars who perform sound exegesis and deliver amazingly eloquent sermons? I know you're not the typical CoGOP guy...

hey I started this thread and I think it's funny-but all you have to do around here is pop in most any Baptist or pentecostal church that looks like it may have been around ten years or more, and there's a 95% chance you'll here several of these rhetorical devices.

I'm going to say this and duck, because I do NOT mean it as slam at the COG -- just stating my personal experience.

I have visited Assembly of God, COGOP, FourSquare and COG pentecostal churches. I have visited Baptist churches. I have watched video and televised services of all of the above plus some... and the only place I have experienced any of the kind of stuff posted in this thread in the past two decades has been in a COG church in Hawaii.

There are some cultural things in the COG that seem learned behavior when viewed from the outside, frankly. It is fascinating to outsiders.

Acts-celerater
7/9/08 5:15 pm

Post Re: A very "preacherism" COG preacher (L) (V) The CoG Bullet
Pastor Gary wrote:

There are some cultural things in the COG that seem learned behavior when viewed from the outside, frankly. It is fascinating to outsiders.

on another note-sure we all learn from our mentors.

When I used to preach I would find myself preaching to a crescendo and as people begin to clap...AMEN, AMEN AND AMEN...well give the Lord praise! Paul Walker, and his spiritual son David Cooper were the major influences on me as I began to preach.

You don't think CoGOP preachers have some common mannerisms?
Maybe not-

Bullet
Acts-celerater
7/9/08 5:30 pm

Post Re: A very "preacherism" COG preacher (L) Pastor Gary
The CoG Bullet wrote:
I guess the essence of my question is this-what is the CoGOP like?

That question pre-supposes that all COGOPs are alike, and I find that a false assumption.

The CoG Bullet wrote:
The only CoGOPs I've ever seen (maybe 2-3) look very back-woodsy. I'll be the one who has to duck from several on here including Doyle and Hoover (who is likely friends with everyone in the CoGOP) but my impression has always been that they are by and large a strange little closed off bunch.

And my experience with the COG (maybe 2-3) is likewise limited, and my very limited experience was like back-to-the-future; music from the 70s and 80s, cliché-filled, learned behavior style... nice folks, sincere folks, but pretty much standard fare old-school, southern-style pentecostal church stuff. If that's what you're looking for, I can drive you right to it in my area.

We were famous -- infamous -- I suppose in some areas for being back-woodsy, strange and closed off, but most of those folks left us since 1993 because we "let down the standard" and allowed wedding rings and divorced and remarried members.

The CoG Bullet wrote:
The founder was a loose cannon, and until just a few years ago the doctrine as I understood could be seen as heretical (as the CoG did).

LOL -- well, if our founder was a loose cannon, the founder of the COG was equally a loose cannon, since pre-1923 we were the same group, with the same founder!

The CoG Bullet wrote:
I'm not attacking you. All I'm saying is that you are quick to jump on other folks.

I didn't think what I said was jumping on anyone, any more than what you have just said to me; they are observations from our personal experience, and are as valid as those limited experiences.

The CoG Bullet wrote:
You seem a lot more like a fairly traditional hand-raising Southern Baptist than a Tomlinson Church of God/Field of The Woods kind of guy. I am led to believe you identify much more with guys like David Jeremiah and Charles Stanley. Yet, you are an ArchBishop of the Pacific in the CoGOP?

I don't even know who David Jeremiah is, and don't care much for what I have seen of Charles Stanley, so I am not sure how to respond. I am what God has made me, and it took a lot of years for me to accept that I am fine the way I am, and don't need to try to be like anyone else. In COG terms I'd say I would be more Marty Baker than T.L. Lowery.

I am the Overseer of Hawaii for COGOP, yes. That + $3 gets me coffee at Starbucks. Wink

I am COGOP. Always have been. 3rd generation. It is my flawed, imperfect home, wacky relatives, crazy history, flawed heroes and all.

As for "what is the COGOP like" all I can do is point you to a few examples and let you decide, though I would never suggest that these are typical, or that any church could be "typical."

We report, you decide:
http://hawaiicogop.org/
http://www.windwardworship.com/
http://www.reunionhawaii.com/
http://www.peerlessroadchurch.com/
http://www.greensborocogop.org/
http://www.rockvillecogop.com/
http://www.cogop.net/
http://www.japanprayernetwork.com/
http://www.newlifecogop.com/
http://www.senecacogop.org/
http://www.harvestcenter.blogspot.com/
http://www.newhorizons-church.org/
http://www.crossroadscogop.com/
7/9/08 6:48 pm

Post The CoG Bullet
LOL fair enough Pastor G. Fwiw...I like you very much. Now I know you feel like you can go on with your life. Just tell me if I can settle any other questions that are holding you back. Smile

And-I like your style. I enjoy watching you preach, and you and Martin Mull were separated at birth.

Couple of more thoughts on this-but I'll sling them at you in an email plus an update on my last email to you.

Bullet
Acts-celerater
7/10/08 8:52 am

Post Thanks (L) Pastor Gary
The CoG Bullet wrote:
LOL fair enough Pastor G. Fwiw...I like you very much. Now I know you feel like you can go on with your life. Just tell me if I can settle any other questions that are holding you back. Smile

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

The CoG Bullet wrote:
And-I like your style. I enjoy watching you preach, and you and Martin Mull were separated at birth.

Thanks so much for the affirmation and encouragement. It took me hundreds of hours in the pulpit to get comfortable in my own skin and find "my voice."

Martin Mull! Yes -- when people tell me "you look kinda familiar" I have been known to say "I look like Martin Mull." and the reaction is usually, "WHO??"

Glad you know who he is!
7/11/08 2:54 am

Post Re: Thanks (L) The CoG Bullet
I'm a huge fan of Martin-I was an early adopter of his comedy on "Fernwood 2 Nite"...along with Fred Willard (Jerry Hubbard), Happy Kyne and the Mirth Makers. Barth Gimbel! Funny funny stuff!

and everyone says...huh? LOL

Bullet

Pastor Gary wrote:
The CoG Bullet wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

The CoG Bullet wrote:

Thanks so much for the affirmation and encouragement. It took me hundreds of hours in the pulpit to get comfortable in my own skin and find "my voice."

Martin Mull! Yes -- when people tell me "you look kinda familiar" I have been known to say "I look like Martin Mull." and the reaction is usually, "WHO??"

Glad you know who he is!

Acts-celerater
7/11/08 8:33 am

Post macgulley
I heard a minister yesterday who seems to be using this thread as a study resource!
Yesterday he said: "somebody praise the Lord while I catch my breath," "is anybody getting anything out of this," "I know what time it is but God gave me this," "will SOMEBODY praise the Lord in this house," "this is a God thing, not a me thing" and I don't remember what else.

Bless his heart.
7/14/08 10:22 am

Post A substitute for preparation imustdecrease
I think a lot of this stuff is just used to hype the crowd when the preacher hasn't really studied and prepared a message. It is especially irritating when the speaker has run out of material and goes on anyway.

One grammatical error that is very common for preachers is using "I" when "me" is the correct word.

A friend of mine, a COG preacher, is fond of saying, "Can I tell you" several times in his message. If he reads this he will laugh. He used the phrase over thirty times in one sermon, sometimes more than once in a sentence.

The very worst thing I hear preachers say is that the devil has no power. Just say boo and he will run. All he can do is growl. Such comments are actually harmful, because they minimize the threat that the enemy poses to every Christain and to the church. This enemy has great power. He is the god of this world. He is the great deceiver, the accuser of the brethren, and goes about as a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. He is the prince of the power of the air. it is only as we submit ourselves to God that we have power over the enemy. We had an evangelist telling people to write "Satan" on the sole of their shoe so they could walk all over him. That is rediculous.
Friendly Face
7/15/08 3:17 pm

Post dreaming
Its true but way overdone. I once heard 3 different preachers use it in the span of less that 48 hours. Did you not get the Memo?

It gets annoying and loses luster if you use it too often and most of the time, it's used to just get people hyped up. Some folks are so comatose they need a lil luster.

I've used it myself, just so you know. Well thank you for confessing......

[/i]
7/16/08 10:16 pm

Post If you are here Truman Smith
I have heard many preachers in giving an altar call use this expression , " If you are here under the sound of my voice ........" I want want you to do this and that . To whom is he speaking ??? If they hear that they must be there . Reminds me of a preacher on radio I heard many tears ago and this is what he said " I'm glad that you have tuned in today . Now if you do not have your radio turned on I want you to turn it on because I have something to say that I want you to hear ." Again To whom is he speaking . Love Ya . T Acts Enthusiast
7/20/08 7:36 pm

Post In welcoming COG girl
visitors to the MW service, the Pastor (or whoever is greeting the people) says "To our first time visitors we welcome you; we'll treat you so many ways you'll like one of them". It always made me think - just how are they gonna treat me????

Another one is "God will mess you up". I talked to my pastor and shared that sometimes when I come to church I'm already so messed up from situations happening that the last thing I need if for someone else to some "messing". I didn't need God to "mess me up, I needed to be fixed".

www.eGotIt.net
Friendly Face
7/20/08 9:44 pm

Post Re: In welcoming The CoG Bullet
Those are two good ones CoG Girl-I've heard both and they are just plain dumb.

Another one on that line that I hate is. How many would rather be here than in the finest (jail, hospital) in town. That is not even close to funny. Who would ever say such a thing.

COG girl wrote:
visitors to the MW service, the Pastor (or whoever is greeting the people) says "To our first time visitors we welcome you; we'll treat you so many ways you'll like one of them". It always made me think - just how are they gonna treat me????

Another one is "God will mess you up". I talked to my pastor and shared that sometimes when I come to church I'm already so messed up from situations happening that the last thing I need if for someone else to some "messing". I didn't need God to "mess me up, I needed to be fixed".

Acts-celerater
7/23/08 9:54 pm

Post how bout this therealist
'It's time to get under the spout, where the Glory comes out!' Hey, DOC
7/24/08 3:19 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic