Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Is Masturbation a Sin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Dave Dorsey
amplified wrote:
Blue balls,that is an urban myth.

I can totally, totally promise you that blue balls are no myth. However, you're exactly right -- you cannot die from not ejaculating. Studies have demonstrated that a long-term build-up of semen can negatively affect the prostate and can even cause cancer, but our bodies were made to naturally excrete excess semen while sleeping. There is no need for operator intervention.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/28/08 9:38 am

Post Randy Johnson
Steve LaFever wrote:
I heard a Bible professor whose response was "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do with all thy might". Smile

Steve, that's not fair! Laughing

Here I am, sitting here resisting the temptation to post the worst sacrireligious joke that would have everyone rolling on the floor laughing while they burned me at the stake, and you come up with this!

How about this:

Colossians 3:17 wrote:
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/28/08 10:00 am

Post Medical Issues Regarding Masturbation youngleader
I have a friend of mine (male) who physically cannot have nocturnal emissions. While at Lee, a dormmate had to take him to the hospital because he was in so much pain because of build up. He was trying to live a holy, chaste lifestyle, and as such, stopped masturbating.
The doctors told him he could not have nocturnal emissions, and he must masturbate regularly. The doctor had him do it while there, and his sperm count was so high, it was off the charts..

Fast forward to today... He's now married, and has a completely new condition. He has had migraines for years, and now they effect him sexually. This is an actual condition.... Just before ejaculation, he gets a migraine. This has been happenning for about 2 months. He got married in November, so at least the first few months were good. He's been back to the doctor, and they are working on it...

But both situations are difficult.

Before I was married, the longest I ever held out was a month. By that time, my hormones were raging so bad, that my thoughts were consumed by lustful, evil ideas.. I'm not necessarily saying masturbation is right or wrong, but it definitely helps to curb the lustful thoughts.
2/28/08 10:09 am

Post Re: Masterbation is NOT a sin.............. KingsKid
String Bender55 wrote:
How you have spelled masturbation could be. Surprised

Thanks, Stringbender. I corrected the spelling.

A Google search turns up 4,330,000 spellings for masterbation, and 60,600,000 for masturbation. For every person who masterbates there are 14 who masturbate.
Friendly Face
2/28/08 10:12 am

Post The CoG Bullet
disclaimer: for the silly board police and the goof offs who do "citizens' arrest-I am only quoting the relevant portions of tripsD so that my post will make sense on it's on-

tripsD I agree with you on most of the substance of what you're saying. And further I commend you for your discipline and for your faith in God's power to deliver you from temptation. You keep doing what you're doing and you're a better man for it.

A couple of points that I make-is that "lust" is not to be equated with sexual feeling. It is entirely possible to experience sexual arousal and feeling without *lusting*. I think in the full context of Scripture, every warning against lust and sexual sin says...lust has a face, a name. Jesus said that when you lust after a woman you have committed adultery with her in your heart. It is impossible to commit adultery with a nameless, faceless woman called Sexual Arousal.

As to Jesus-He was one hundred percent God, one hundred percent man in the flesh, in "hypostatic union." When his flesh was tempted even right up to the breaking point his Godhood took over, and I would make a case (once again this is a theological debate) that it was not possible or impossible for him to sin-it was undefined. I don't think it's one bit irreverent or unscriptural to believe that Jesus not only experienced sexual arousal as a man (he produced testosterone by definition-he had a beard). And yet he was without sin.

As to whether he took advantage of the release valve, I don't think so. But if he was a normal functioning male-I would almost guarantee he had nocturnal emission. And I almost guarantee he enjoyed it. I almost guarantee you he had a much clearer head the next day, and that the temptations came less frequently.

But, I would certainly guarantee he wasn't thinking about Mary Magdalene all day long, thinking how it might be to get to know her a little better.

You have set your standard and I admire you for it. But, I will make a case Biblically and logically that the release valve-used in the right way...will help a young man (or woman) flee lust. It is healthy, it is normal, it is nothing to be ashamed of. I've seen too many train wrecks happen in this area with the guilt thing. It's one thing to be guilty when you are-it's quite another to suffer because condemnation has been heaped on you and presumed to be conviction.

respectfully-and admiring your position
Bullet

tripsD wrote:

The ultimate question in my mind is WWJD. Jesus was a man, let us never forget, who was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. There's no doubt in my mind that Jesus experienced the temptation of physical lust. Because if He didn't, He's not qualified to be my mediator, because He has no idea what I go through some mornings when I wake up. But the Scripture speaks differently of Him, saying, "For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted."

Jesus was alive in the flesh until He was 33 years old. That's pretty much total primo sexual activity time for a guy. Yet (and I know some will blasphemously claim this, but I think better of those here) He never masturbated. He never fulfilled that one desire of his flesh. If He can do it, He is able to aid us to do the same.

Acts-celerater
2/28/08 10:51 am

Post Romans 8 eagle1
Life Through the Spirit
1Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,[a] 2because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature,[b] God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering.[c] And so he condemned sin in sinful man,[d] 4in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.
5Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6The mind of sinful man[e] is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; 7the sinful mind[f] is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. 8Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.

9You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. 10But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you

www.lifechurchateaston.com
http://rodneymullins.wordpress.com/
www.myspace.com/pastormullins
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
2/28/08 10:51 am

Post Re: Is Masterbation a Sin? String Bender55
Memory03 wrote:
what do you call a person who can bait 100 fish hooks in one minute?

a Master Baiter... Laughing Laughing Laughing
What did the Red Neck student from Alabama call Dr. Beatty before he received his Doctorate?

Master Beatty Laughing
2/28/08 11:05 am

Post Pastor Randy Steve LaFever
Now that is really sacreligous Smile
2/28/08 11:10 am

Post The CoG Bullet
tripsD wrote:
amplified wrote:
Blue balls,that is an urban myth.

I can totally, totally promise you that blue balls are no myth. However, you're exactly right -- you cannot die from not ejaculating. Studies have demonstrated that a long-term build-up of semen can negatively affect the prostate and can even cause cancer, but our bodies were made to naturally excrete excess semen while sleeping. There is no need for operator intervention.

Speaking of the "nocturnal emission" -the first couple of times I remember tremendous guilt feelings as a young teenager. I had been steeped in religious rhetoric and condemnation.

I'll throw this question out as well: Has any man here ever dreamed of say baseball or maybe even a Lamborghini while having one of those nocturnal emissions? Would it be a sin if your dream happened to focus on a chick in a bikini? How do you repent of a dream? Do you ask God next time you're due for a release to please let you be dreaming of a church service, without thinking of Bobby Sue on the front row with a tight skirt on?

I'm being a bit facetious, but the point I'm making is real. And please no I intend no disrespect to you tripsD.

Bullet
Acts-celerater
2/28/08 11:14 am

Post too much information....TMI caseyleejones
Quote:
Before I was married, the longest I ever held out was a month.
Acts-perienced Poster
2/28/08 11:20 am

Post Here's a thought... prefontaine
We all know that this is not directly covered in scripture. Myself, I don't know that I believe the act is a sin, but I do feel like the thoughts that accomany that act are sin. It is not 'curbing' you lust, it is simply giving into them. I am HAPPILY married, so it's not an issue for me, but for those of you who aren't, or believe it is fine: pray, ask God what He would have you do. To dismiss it because it is not condemned wouldn't be right. Also, to say that it isn't a big deal suggests that God doesn't care one way or th other about it - and I don't serve an indifferent God. So, earnestly seek God about what He would have you do. After all, Jesus was a 33 year old man who never had sex - did He masturbate?? He would certainly know the feeling of what you are going through.

clintwills.blogspot.com
2/28/08 11:22 am

Post Ichthus77
The CoG Bullet wrote:

I'll throw this question out as well: Has any man here ever dreamed of say baseball or maybe even a Lamborghini while having one of those nocturnal emissions? Would it be a sin if your dream happened to focus on a chick in a bikini?

Bikinis are sinful, worldly attire! No hypothetical girl in my dreams EVER wore one of those sinful things! Laughing Embarassed
Acts Enthusiast
2/28/08 11:24 am

Post Voice of many Waters
Ichthus77 wrote:
The CoG Bullet wrote:

I'll throw this question out as well: Has any man here ever dreamed of say baseball or maybe even a Lamborghini while having one of those nocturnal emissions? Would it be a sin if your dream happened to focus on a chick in a bikini?

Bikinis are sinful, worldly attire! No hypothetical girl in my dreams EVER wore one of those sinful things! Laughing Embarassed
Yeah, me too. No girl I ever swam with wore a bikini. We went skinny dipping almost every night when The Voice of many Waters was a Young Brave.
Friendly Face
2/28/08 11:31 am

Post George Hensley
Voice of many Waters wrote:
Ichthus77 wrote:
The CoG Bullet wrote:

Yeah, me too. No girl I ever swam with wore a bikini. We went skinny dipping almost every night when The Voice of many Waters was a Young Brave.
You must not have been from the South. Skinny Dipping down here at night is dangerous business! Ya gotta look out for them Rattlesnakes and Copperheads and Cotton Mouth's down here. Get bit by one of those you better have a lot of faith.
2/28/08 12:44 pm

Post If I do this, I'm gonna get a whuppin roughridercog
Steve LaFever wrote:
I heard a Bible professor whose response was "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do with all thy might". Smile

Was he quoting from the writings of Peter?
2/28/08 1:12 pm

Post I love that... prefontaine
we have come to a point that quoting a Bible professor is equal to quoting the Bible. Would you follow that teacher if he said that Jesus and Satan are brothers??

I have a theme song for this thread. A 1975 Eric Carmen hit

" All By Myself"

clintwills.blogspot.com
2/28/08 1:46 pm

Post URGES AND SURGES: No sin in the need or the seed doyle
In another thread the subject of masturbation is being discussed. I'm comfortable with that discussion being on the board. It's been here several times before and a couple of times have been the one subject that got more response that any other.

That doesn't mean people are carnal. It means all men and most women have dealt with it and may have struggled with guilt as they seek to live a Godly life.

As a young body grows and develops, all kinds of urges and surges are going on inside. Most of them are natural and are experienced by almost every human being in development regardless of race, creed or nationality.

Without that urge and surge, the human race would cease to exist. I believe the God who thought up and designed the human body, included those natural urges and surges in His design. In some ways it's the life force that urges that helps keep the human race in existance.

So, there's no sin in the need. The need arises because bodily fluids develop naturally and they're going to come out of the body. In my opinion, a wet dream isn't more holy than masturbation.

Of course, there's no sin in the seed. It develops naturally in the body and the person has nothing to do with it's development - can't stop it even if they fast and pray days at a time.

Though there's no sin in the seed or the need, we cannot discount the thought life. Godly living requires Godly thinking. A sincere Christian who very much wants to live a Godly life, can feel awful in trying to deal with the urge and surge, need and seed and at the same time want to be faithful to God.

Even so, preach all we want about guarding our thought life and the need continues and the seed continues to develop. No amount of preaching or chiding or guilt trips have stopped human beings from having thoughts about sexuality.

The longest journey in the world is a guilt trip and as sincere Christians through the ages have sought to deal with their thought life, they've tried to come up with solutions to bring their thought life into check. Problem is, when it comes to the seed and the need, abstinence is no solution.

Marriage can be a solution but what about those who are single? Are they only allowed to have wet dreams as the seed accumulates and is forced out to make room for more?

Ah, there is the heart of the problem - that word "more."

If this entire problem was a one-time situation or if it only lasted for a week or or even one year, if the body only produced a pre-determined amount of seed, then everyone could make the adjustment; tough it out and soak in ice water. Even abstinence would work for a brief time.

"More." Daily, as a young man's body develops, the body naturally produces more seed. As new seed is produced it pushes out what is already there. Are dreams thoughts? It seems they are so even if we could totally control our thought life while awake, we might still have thoughts in our dreams.

Thought life: If a man wasn't thinking something, if there was no attraction, there would be no marriage and no children and no human race.

So, we feel trapped between the natural urge and surge and the words of Jesus, "If a man looks on a woman to lust after her he has committed adultery." You may be so holy the ground repents when you walk on it but that saying of Jesus is a tough one.

THE BIBLE doesn't condemn masturbation but neither does in condone it.
Even the ancient Jewish writings such as the Talmud, say nothing about it. That's rather strange for if one has ever read Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers or Deuteronomy there are few things in life not dealt with.

The Bible doesn't flinch one bit in condemning adultery, homosexuality, incest, bestiality, rape and on and on but there's no mention of masturbation.

Some twist the scripture concerning the time when a guy "spilled his seed on the ground and God killed him." But that wasn't masturbation. That guy had been commanded by God to have sex with that woman so the seed-line would continue. But he withdrew and spilled his seed on the ground instead of doing what God said.

SO, WHAT'S THE CONCLUSION of the matter? When asked about the subject of masturbation, how is the preacher to respond? I certainly wouldn't recommend sermons for or against the subject since no matter what's said some part of the congregation will be upset.

We cannot and should not recommend it nor should we condemn it. I think the best approach is to share that the Bible doesn't deal with the subject. To me, that means it's kind of left up to the individual and their life with God.

Doyle
2/28/08 2:32 pm

Post Re: Is Masturbation a Sin? curly
KingsKid wrote:
When I was young I was taught in church that masturbation is a sin and that if I did it I would go to Hell. That misguided, legalistic, unscriptural advice resulted in a horrific guilt trip that lasted off-and-on throughout my adolescent years.

After much prayer and study I have concluded that those who put the guilt trip on me were in error.

Now, I tell my own children that masterbation is a gift from God - a natural release valve He has given us to help control pent up sexual urges. However, as with any good thing, it should be used in moderation.

What do you think?

Edited to correct spelling.

No.
Acts Enthusiast
2/28/08 2:33 pm

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Re: Excellent post kingskid..... curly
caseyleejones wrote:
Basically, I have heard the same thing all my years even now unto my old age.....

That said, I can say ...I honestly don't know.

I do think it is wrong for married individuals since it is defrauding a spouse. At the same time, there are countless times I have run into couples where as Pat Benatar sings....."using sex as a weapon". What is a man to do?

As far as a release valve???? I am not sure. I am not saying I agree but I honestly see your point and it could very well be true.

The only problem with that is with the masturbation process, what kind of thoughts are going through ones mind during this........time of release? That might be a concern.

Who said you had to defraud your spouse?? nuck nuck nuck
Acts Enthusiast
2/28/08 2:34 pm

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Females Pastor Gary
Memory03 wrote:
why do you think the male species needs this and the female species does not?

You don't believe females masturbate? Shocked
2/28/08 3:01 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic