Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why do city/suburb people move to rural areas & how shou
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Why do city/suburb people move to rural areas & how Memory03
I've never been north of Baltimore Md so I really do know what they are like in their environment. I do know that almost everyone that I know of who moved from the South to Michigan really love it there.

Real Men get their haircut in a Barber Shop... The rest go to beauty parlors...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/24/06 10:50 pm

Post Re: Why do city/suburb people move to rural areas & how arcticgolfer1
Mem03 or 45. whatever those numbers are.

I am shocked at the personal rancor reflected in your remarks. I never will understand the whole we don't care how you do it attitude. What if someone has something good to offer? Are they disqualified because of geography?
I can't spell the name of the Pastor who was Pastoring the largest COG congregation in the world, from Indonesia, Alex T. I don't believe he is with the COG anymore. Anyway I remember being at GA and hearing men, "with a Southern accent" snicker at his name and say where is that guy from. Generally having sport with his name and obvious ethnicity. I remember saying to them: "he is the Pastor of the largest COG congregation in the world in a Muslim country." They simply looked at me and surely thought who is this young whipper snapper?
I also heard men with a southern accent at the last GA saying they would not stay in a service with a black man preaching, questioning why we needed to do such a thing.
I BY NO MEANS THINK ALL SOUTHERNERS FEEL THIS WAY. But should I say to you since apparently that is how you do it down south I don't care and don't want to hear any idea you might have?

Believe me not only is our denomination split over International issues but nationally as well. It is obvious we are a Southeastern denomination. Men with tremendous ministries remain largely unknown in our denomination because of geography. Have we ever had a PB who has not spent the majority of his ministry and life in the Southeast? Most likely not. Do we even bother seriously funding ministry in places like MN, WI, ND, IA, Montana.... not much! Are we saying to hell with them, they are in the north? Let the AG have them or Foursquare or Open Bible. Many of our most promising young leaders go to AG schools up North never to return to the COG.

Let me mention some great men of God with great long-term ministries in the COG and let people chime in if they know them beyond the name, or even the name?

Al Wolever
Othon Noel
Bob Rogers
Fred Swank
Mike Reynolds
Doug Golden

these are just a few and there are hundreds more we could talk about.
For the love of God let's lay our cultural prejudice at the foot of the cross and learn from one another.

When I posted this thread I did not say - only people from the north's opinion accepted.
2/25/06 5:42 pm

Post Re: Why do city/suburb people move to rural areas & how notwanghere
arcticgolfer1 wrote:

I am shocked at the personal rancor reflected in your remarks. I never will understand the whole we don't care how you do it attitude. What if someone has something good to offer? Are they disqualified because of geography?
I can't spell the name of the Pastor who was Pastoring the largest COG congregation in the world, from Indonesia, Alex T. I don't believe he is with the COG anymore. Anyway I remember being at GA and hearing men, "with a Southern accent" snicker at his name and say where is that guy from. Generally having sport with his name and obvious ethnicity. I remember saying to them: "he is the Pastor of the largest COG congregation in the world in a Muslim country." They simply looked at me and surely thought who is this young whipper snapper?
I also heard men with a southern accent at the last GA saying they would not stay in a service with a black man preaching, questioning why we needed to do such a thing.
I BY NO MEANS THINK ALL SOUTHERNERS FEEL THIS WAY. But should I say to you since apparently that is how you do it down south I don't care and don't want to hear any idea you might have?

Believe me not only is our denomination split over International issues but nationally as well. It is obvious we are a Southeastern denomination. Men with tremendous ministries remain largely unknown in our denomination because of geography. Have we ever had a PB who has not spent the majority of his ministry and life in the Southeast? Most likely not. Do we even bother seriously funding ministry in places like MN, WI, ND, IA, Montana.... not much! Are we saying to hell with them, they are in the north? Let the AG have them or Foursquare or Open Bible. Many of our most promising young leaders go to AG schools up North never to return to the COG.

Let me mention some great men of God with great long-term ministries in the COG and let people chime in if they know them beyond the name, or even the name?

Al Wolever
Othon Noel
Bob Rogers
Fred Swank
Mike Reynolds
Doug Golden

For the love of God let's lay our cultural prejudice at the foot of the cross and learn from one another.

When I posted this thread I did not say - only people from the north's opinion accepted.

Wow Artic! I bow at my waist!! I have maintained sentiments such as yours, and was roundly told I was being insensitive. Thank-you for shareing your observations.

The cultural diversity of our Church would be totally non-existant if it wasn't for a few voices identifying the xenophobia which is present! Again Thank-you my brother!
Acts Enthusiast
2/25/06 5:55 pm

arcticgolfer1 wrote:

Al Wolever
Othon Noel
Bob Rogers
Fred Swank
Mike Reynolds
Doug Golden

Did they not teach you to tell the difference between an 03 and a 45 up there in Yankee Land? Laughing

My previous post was referring to local politics and local politics alone. I am willing to learn a better way of ministry from anyone anywhere.

2/25/06 7:01 pm

[url]My previous post was referring to local politics and local politics alone. I am willing to learn a better way of ministry from anyone anywhere.[/url]

I know your response wasn't to me, however let me just say, your initial post did not differentiate between politics and the Church. In fact it was in response primarily to church issues. But I accept your explanation as being earnest.
Acts Enthusiast
2/25/06 7:08 pm

notwanghere wrote:
[url]My previous post was referring to local politics and local politics alone. I am willing to learn a better way of ministry from anyone anywhere.[/url]

I know your response wasn't to me, however let me just say, your initial post did not differentiate between politics and the Church. In fact it was in response primarily to church issues. But I accept your explanation as being earnest.

You are correct, I was not clear at all in that post. I went back and edited to ad the word politics in. I do apologize to all who were offended.

2/25/06 7:17 pm

Post Sheesh, can't take a joke or what??????? sheepdogandy
Look children, for generations southnerners have been stereotyped by northerners as stupid, lazy and incestuous.

We are cartooned as bigoted, prejiduiced and illiterate.

I live only a few minutes from Chickamauga Natonal Military Park (the largest in the nation).

Since my earliest memories contain the images of monuments and cannons. (and what they represent) I am a product of my enviorment.

Having said that.

Black ministers have preached in my church.

Black singers have sang in my church.

Our missions support goes to a native Indian (nation of India).

Come to think of it I even had a yankee C/G pastor preach on a Sun AM last year. He did a GREAT JOB!!!!!!!

My sister in law even married a yankee. A hero of WWII. Whom I love and respect greatly.

My point is that there is more than enough blame to go around both sides of the Mason Dixon line.

Sheesh, you yankees can't take a joke or what?

www.spwc.church

Last edited by sheepdogandy on 2/25/06 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/25/06 7:41 pm

Post Re: Sheesh, can't take a joke or what??????? Memory03
sheepdogandy wrote:
Look children, for generations southnerners have been stereotyped by northerners as stupid, lazy and incestuous.

I live only a few minutes from Chickamauga Natonal Military Park (the largest in the nation).

Since my earliest memories contain the images of monuments and cannons. (and what they represent) I am a product of my enviorment.

Having said that.

Black ministers have preached in my church.

Black singers have sang in my church.

Our missions support goes to a native Indian (nation of India).

My sister in law even married a yankee. A hero of WWII. Whom I love and respect greatly.

My point is that there is more than enough blame to go around both sides of the Mason Dixon line.

Sheesh, you yankees can't take a joke or what?

they can't see the beam in their own eye for looking so hard for the spec in our eyes.

2/25/06 7:47 pm

Post Re: Artic notwanghere
Quote:
I resent any American culture claiming superiority over another. Be it north - south, OR south-north!

You see here again your perspective is "they" vs "us". When are you going to view yourselves as Americans first and Southerners second?

The problem of attitude remains. Whether we like it or not it is an impediment to our Church, and until we all recognize it it shall remain a reality. I greatly dislike stereotypes! We have enough "rednecks" up North!

I am genuinely desireous for us to move beyond the "I am of Paul, I am of Silas" attitudes.

One of the greatest evidences of accepting and caring and loving is demonstrating a concern over how "they" do it.
Acts Enthusiast
2/25/06 8:01 pm

Post Hey Sheepdog Steve Morrison
you asked,

why do northeners move down south?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Here's why. Generally we're more intelligent and can do a much better job than the typical rebel. Therefore, we see a chance to come in, get a good job and change such a place to reflect a grander, more intelligent lifestyle.

That's why we move down south.

As I was in my original post on the change for your inflated opinion, I'm just joking around.

If ignorance is bliss, then some of you folks are the happiest people around.
Acts Enthusiast
2/25/06 9:16 pm

Post What really bothers me about....... sheepdogandy
Yankees and other illegal aliens invading the free south.

Youse guys clog up the checkout lines at Wal-mart.

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/25/06 9:23 pm

Post Re: Hey Sheepdog notwanghere
Steve Morrison wrote:
you asked,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Here's why. Generally we're more intelligent and can do a much better job than the typical rebel. Therefore, we see a chance to come in, get a good job and change such a place to reflect a grander, more intelligent lifestyle.

As I was in my original post on the change for your inflated opinion, I'm just joking around.

Oh man Steve, you just burst my bubble. I thought thats why AB's were sent North??? Very Happy
Acts Enthusiast
2/25/06 9:25 pm

Post Re: Sheesh, can't take a joke or what??????? notwanghere
sheepdogandy wrote:

Sheep, have you seen the academic, welfare, still births, graduation, unemployment, literacy, and other statistics? Just wondering. Not everything is a sterotype.
Acts Enthusiast
2/25/06 9:33 pm

Post Re: Hey Sheepdog Memory03
Steve Morrison wrote:
you asked,

soooooooo it's ok for the northerners to joke around about it, but let some of the southern constituency joke about it and you northerners get your drawers all twisted up. Laughing

2/25/06 9:34 pm

Post Re: Hey Sheepdog notwanghere
Memory03 wrote:
Satan is a Liberal, he has many followers...

ROFL

No Satan takes, Jesus gives!
Conservatives take, liberals give!

Last edited by notwanghere on 2/26/06 7:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Acts Enthusiast
2/26/06 12:24 am

Post HEY! Steve Morrison
I did not write that last quote. Not sure how my name got on there, but I didn't say that at all.

Acts Enthusiast
2/26/06 7:51 am

sorry Steve Acts Enthusiast
2/26/06 7:58 am

Post Mem, Arctic, Sheepdog and Notwang Steve Morrison
All joking aside here. Let's be serious. With apologies to AC1, this won't be consistent with your original post.

There is an intense bias between northern and southern preachers. Not all carry this, but a lot more than we care to admit. I think that we've all heard or been around guys and maybe even taken part of the bashing. I've served in both Michigan and North Carolina. There are vast differences between the two and some scary similarities.

Similarities:

1. Politics are still the name of the game. It's who you know, what your last name is and how good have you been.

2. If you don't like the church, there's always another one within driving distance.

3. People. There is always someone that loves you and always someone that doesn't.

Differences:

To many to list.

Neither place is any better than the other. The differences also make each area unique. We always say, "if everyone was the same the world would be a boring place", well why is it we get worked up when it comes to geographic differences? In the end, there must be a contingent of people that work against those guys sitting at GA talking about our brethren in India or leaving when a person of a different race takes the podium. We also must stand against those that consider anyone south of Ohio an ignorant redneck. Unfortunately, geographic stereotyping goes both ways and until we decide to stand in unity for the Kingdom of God we'll always be a divided army.

An interesting note. At a ministers meeting here in WNC there was a heated discussion going on about whether or not to continue having campmeeting at Whittier ( a campground in the mountains). I was sitting in front of a group of mountain ministers when one of them said, "Let them go home, we don't want (or nned can't remember which) those flatlanders up here anyway." A chorus of muted yes's replied. So you see, geographic bias isn't just a national thing, it's regional as well.

Sad isn't it?

Well time for this transplanted yankee to go preach to those mountain people that I love and who love me back. Funny how true christianity works. Hope your days are blessed.

Acts Enthusiast
2/26/06 8:10 am

Post notwang Steve Morrison
no problem. I just see bumper stickers that say "God is not a republican or a democrat"

So I just wanted everyone to know Satan isn't either of those. He's definitely Unitarian Universalist though. Thumb Up

Acts Enthusiast
2/26/06 8:14 am

I think people in general have more loyalties towards where they are from. If you notice, many people rag on the state that borders on their state, no matter if it is south, north, east, west. Then they do the regional thing. Everyone has a preference.

2/26/06 8:57 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic