Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why do city/suburb people move to rural areas & how shou
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Why do city/suburb people move to rural areas & how shou arcticgolfer1
you try and then reach them with the Gospel.....or draw them to a rural church?

Why do they move? I know because of the property costs. They can sell there homes in the suburb and buy out of town a ways and make money, yet still drive into work/ They also get a smaller school and less hectic traffic.
Are there any underlying reasons I am missing. Perhaps there is a rural Pastor here who has had an influx of commuter neighbors, (bedroom community), and you discovered away to also pull them to a rural church.

Any thoughts or input?
2/23/06 3:18 pm

Post Re: Why do city/suburb people move to rural areas & how Pastor Gary
arcticgolfer1 wrote:
you try and then reach them with the Gospel.....or draw them to a rural church? ...to also pull them to a rural church.

Any thoughts or input?

They may have left city life behind, but they have not left the urban culture behind. If you created an urban church CULTURE located in a rural area, so that it meshed with their daily life better, it might help.

They may live in the country, but they work in the city, shop in the city and think like city folks. They can't/won't turn that mentality off for a few hours on Sunday morning to go to a "country" church.
2/23/06 5:23 pm

Post Re: Why do city/suburb people move to rural areas & how Land of Middle Girth
Pastor Gary wrote:
arcticgolfer1 wrote:
you try and then reach them with the Gospel.....or draw them to a rural church? ...to also pull them to a rural church.

Any thoughts or input?

They may have left city life behind, but they have not left the urban culture behind. If you created an urban church CULTURE located in a rural area, so that it meshed with their daily life better, it might help.

They may live in the country, but they work in the city, shop in the city and think like city folks. They can't/won't turn that mentality off for a few hours on Sunday morning to go to a "country" church.

Personally I perfer the country to the city. I live in Atlanta now, and will, as soon as possible relocate to the midwest.

The reason people flee the city is to escape the nonscence. Throwing away 2-3 hours a day just to travel to work, waste gas, deal with traffic, put stress on yourself and your car, deal with higher crime rates, stress on the family, stress on the pets, smog, rush, rush, rush all the bloody time for nothing; all so you can go to a wal mart or have chinese food 24 hours a day.

I hate the city.

My rant is now over.
2/23/06 8:08 pm

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post Re: Why do city/suburb people move to rural areas & how notwanghere
Actually, I believe there has been reports showing that people are returning to the Cities. I agree with the fact that there is a cultural difference, one that must be recognized if we are to develop an urban ministry. Now don't jump on me for this, but the reality is that there is an academic, and socially upscale dimension which is not present in a rural area. I believe it is easier for an rural congregation to be Pastored by an urban Pastor then the other way around.

Some of the most intellectual Pastors I know are African-American. When I hear them preach I sometimes wonder why they often whip up their people. I asked a Pastor that one time, and he told me, I need to relate to my people. An educated Pastor can adjust to relate. A Pastor with poor grammar can't correct it. He will always sound like a bumpkin.

I heard a COG Pastor onetime ask from the pulpit "Why was you born where you was?" That might be alright in some area's, but not in mine. Nothing else he said would be heard.
Acts Enthusiast
2/23/06 9:09 pm

Post Re: Why do city/suburb people move to rural areas & how arcticgolfer1
So far as a whole I think Pastor Gary gave the best insight on reaching them.
I Pastor a rural church now for the first time in my life. I haven't Pastored for several years. However the people are "country" yet well educated. Most are at least medium to upper middle class income wise. A couple are affluent financially, but down to earth in lifestyle. The people moving here and building houses are a mixed bag. I am going to be sitting down with the Mayor soon to get his take on the development of the town. It is true they are still living in the city because they spend as much time at work as they do at home. Most leave here around 4 to 5 a.m. to commute and then don't get home till 6 - 7 p.m.
My thinking is if they want to escape the rat race of the city, certainly if they are church goers they will not want to make that commute on Sunday as well. Of course if they are sinners that might make it easier in the long run - to reach them that is. They have not been to a city church with a ton of programs, so perhaps a slower less demanding pace in a church would attract them..
I appreciate the input. not sure if I like the country or city better. Pros and cons to both.
2/23/06 10:55 pm

Post Artic notwanghere
I agree with you as far as affluance. I pastor in an area which was once rural but is now part of the city sprawl. I have one man who is almost totally illiterate, yet because of adherance to very judicious investing and farming could buy and sell most of the city folk. At first he was intimidated by the new more educated. But I assured him he was very intelligent, which he is, and took advantage of the opportunities he had. Acts Enthusiast
2/23/06 11:01 pm

Post Re: Why do city/suburb people move to rural areas & how Land of Middle Girth
Quote:
I asked a Pastor that one time, and he told me, I need to relate to my people. An educated Pastor can adjust to relate.

Its funny how "intellectuals" are so smart that they can't adjust themselves to understand that which they are hearing.

Quote:
I heard a COG Pastor onetime ask from the pulpit "Why was you born where you was?" That might be alright in some area's, but not in mine. Nothing else he said would be heard.

That's a shame, you might of missed something good! Dah Gum.
2/23/06 11:55 pm

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Land of Middle Girth wrote:
Quote:
I asked a Pastor that one time, and he told me, I need to relate to my people. An educated Pastor can adjust to relate.

Its funny how "intellectuals" are so smart that they can't adjust themselves to understand that which they are hearing.

Quote:

I guess the feeling may be that if someone hasn't taken the time to learn proper grammer then perhaps they haven't taken the time to prepare themselves at all.
Acts Enthusiast
2/23/06 11:57 pm

notwanghere wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I guess the feeling may be that if someone hasn't taken the time to learn proper grammer then perhaps they haven't taken the time to prepare themselves at all.

You can know alot about God without learning the proper use of participles.
2/24/06 12:02 am

If you know a lot about God I would think its importance would be such that you would want to prepare yourself. Acts Enthusiast
2/24/06 12:06 am

notwanghere wrote:
If you know a lot about God I would think its importance would be such that you would want to prepare yourself.

Prepare as in the intellectual urban African American preachers that stand up, scream the same word 48 times getting everyone worked up and at the same time filling them with no more knowledge about God than when they first walked in?

Besides, the inability to communicate effectively is not a sign of a lack of intelligence.
2/24/06 12:10 am

Post Re: Why do city/suburb people move to rural areas & how Worker4Christ
I agree that speech does effect you. I live in the South and I am very well educated and have tried to "train" myself not to sound like a hillbilly.
But no matter what I do people still say I have a very thick Southern accent. I hope people don't relate my accent to thinking I'm uneducated.
I was born in the South and raised by a bunch of country bumpkins Razz

Jeff Foxworthy sounds like he's lived with my family and taken everyday life and turned it into a great money making business.
Friendly Face
2/24/06 12:22 am

Worker4Christ wrote:
I agree that speech does effect you. I live in the South and I am very well educated and have tried to "train" myself not to sound like a hillbilly.
But no matter what I do people still say I have a very thick Southern accent. I hope people don't relate my accent to thinking I'm uneducated.
I was born in the South and raised by a bunch of country bumpkins Razz

Jeff Foxworthy sounds like he's lived with my family and taken everyday life and turned it into a great money making business.

I for one never judge a person by their accent. My son-in-law is from the South. One of the most intelligent best educated men I know. Masters in Education from Lee, but he has a thick drawl. I tease him, but he is great!
Acts Enthusiast
2/24/06 12:27 am

notwanghere wrote:
If you know a lot about God I would think its importance would be such that you would want to prepare yourself.

Prepare as in the intellectual urban African American preachers that stand up, scream the same word 48 times getting everyone worked up and at the same time filling them with no more knowledge about God than when they first walked in?

Besides, the inability to communicate effectively is not a sign of a lack of intelligence.

I agree it is not a sign of a lack of intelliegence. But it is a sign of lack of education.
Acts Enthusiast
2/24/06 12:29 am

Post cities, accents, etc 1freewaylunatic
There are all sorts of accents that can sound uneducated, not just southern/hillbilly. In fact, a nice southern accent is pleasant, not a hillbilly way of talking, though. I once lived someplace where I had to have people translate English for me, the dialect was that bad!

Someone in the pulpit should make every effort to speak well, with proper usage of the language.

I like the city, it is in my blood. It's nice to get away and view the countryside, , but I like the hustle and bustle and people and activity of the city. There are disadvantages, but having lived in both the city and more rural area, I would choose the city.

But, over all, it seems that rural dwellers need to be reached in a more "folksy" kind of way. That has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence, but much to do with culture. It is often very difficult to blend urban and rural in the church.
Hey, DOC
2/24/06 12:33 am

Post Re: cities, accents, etc notwanghere
1freewaylunatic wrote:
There are all sorts of accents that can sound uneducated, not just southern/hillbilly. In fact, a nice southern accent is pleasant, not a hillbilly way of talking, though. I once lived someplace where I had to have people translate English for me, the dialect was that bad!

Someone in the pulpit should make every effort to speak well, with proper usage of the language.

I like the city, it is in my blood. It's nice to get away and view the countryside, , but I like the hustle and bustle and people and activity of the city. There are disadvantages, but having lived in both the city and more rural area, I would choose the city.

But, over all, it seems that rural dwellers need to be reached in a more "folksy" kind of way. That has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence, but much to do with culture. It is often very difficult to blend urban and rural in the church.

Well said freeway!

I agree with you, I always preferred the smell of the diesel from a city bus over the smell of pine! It home to me!
Acts Enthusiast
2/24/06 12:38 am

notwanghere wrote:
notwanghere wrote:

I agree it is not a sign of a lack of intelliegence. But it is a sign of lack of education.

It can be, but isn't always. I can speak in front of a group, but when a smaller situation comes around with, say a dozen or so people in an informal setting, I have a tough time.
2/24/06 12:40 am

notwanghere wrote:
notwanghere wrote:

It can be, but isn't always. I can speak in front of a group, but when a smaller situation comes around with, say a dozen or so people in an informal setting, I have a tough time.

Sometimes in a more intimate group it is possible to begin "Mirroring" the group. Sales personal are taught this practice, when attempting to "relate" to a small group it is very possible to find oneself duplicating the speach mannerisms of others.

My wife has chastised me sometimes when I am speaking in the South. She says sometimes I begin talking with an accent and she feels I am being sisrespectful. I don't mean to do it, but sometimes it just happens.
Acts Enthusiast
2/24/06 12:48 am

notwanghere wrote:
notwanghere wrote:
notwanghere wrote:

Sometimes in a more intimate group it is possible to begin "Mirroring" the group. Sales personal are taught this practice, when attempting to "relate" to a small group it is very possible to find oneself duplicating the speach mannerisms of others.

My wife has chastised me sometimes when I am speaking in the South. She says sometimes I begin talking with an accent and she feels I am being sisrespectful. I don't mean to do it, but sometimes it just happens.

I did sales up until last year. The only way I could get through it is by not seeing it as a conversation. I had to remove myself from the situation. It was very tough.
2/24/06 12:50 am

Post Re: Why do city/suburb people move to rural areas & how Memory03
It is a safer place to raise kids...supposedly... Sunshine

US Flag

Real Men get their haircut in a Barber Shop... The rest go to beauty parlors...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/24/06 8:34 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic