Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What do you think about Texas Hold'em?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post What do you think about Texas Hold'em? sonofabishop
What are some of your thoughts on Christians playing poker? I know several folks who play this new craze card game in their homes...for fun only...no money involved. Whatcha' think 'bout that?

I'm new to this board, and I find all the opinions very interesting.

Thanks for your reply.
2/23/06 9:01 am

Post Memory03
no difference than checkers if you don't gamble with it. checkers could be wrong if you gamble with it.

Real Men get their haircut in a Barber Shop... The rest go to beauty parlors...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/23/06 9:09 am

Post I prefer Church of God... roughridercog
"Loose 'em and let 'em go"

That's where you throw all 52 cards in their face and run away giggling.

Similar rules to 52 pickup.
Acts Mod
2/23/06 9:11 am

Post No scriptural basis...again His disciple
Memory03 wrote:
no difference than checkers if you don't gamble with it. checkers could be wrong if you gamble with it.

The scriptural basis against gambling is?

It's funny to me the youth doing a raffle is not gambling. Having a cash prize for whomever wins the church chili cook-off is not gambling. Some even kid themselves into thinking purchasing insurance is not gambling...but it is. Rolling Eyes
Matthew 7:25
Friendly Face
2/23/06 10:17 am

Post Re: No scriptural basis...again Memory03
His disciple wrote:
Memory03 wrote:

It's funny to me the youth doing a raffle is not gambling. Having a cash prize for whomever wins the church chili cook-off is not gambling. Some even kid themselves into thinking purchasing insurance is not gambling...but it is. Rolling Eyes

who's youth are doing a raffle? not mine...

US Flag

2/23/06 10:25 am

Post Re: No scriptural basis...again singer4him
His disciple wrote:
Some even kid themselves into thinking purchasing insurance is not gambling...but it is.

You're taking an even bigger gamble NOT having insurance especially when you have children! Health Insurance is a must!

Also, in some states, it is against the law to not have automobile insurance.

Insurance is not a gamble, it's just good common sense. Smile
Acts-celerater
2/23/06 10:25 am

Post Re: No scriptural basis...again His disciple
singer4him wrote:
His disciple wrote:
Some even kid themselves into thinking purchasing insurance is not gambling...but it is.

You're taking an even bigger gamble NOT having insurance especially when you have children! Health Insurance is a must!

Also, in some states, it is against the law to not have automobile insurance.

Insurance is not a gamble, it's just good common sense. Smile

If you don't view buying a term life insurance policy as gambling, then you either don't understand what it is or you don't understand what gambling is. I can tell you from experience the amount of the premiums are based on the odds of your death in a specific period of time.

You pay more for car insurance if you have a teenage driver or if you drive a certain type of vehicle. Why? Becuase the odds are better that you will have a wreck.

All these things are gambles.
Friendly Face
2/23/06 10:34 am

Memory03 wrote:
His disciple wrote:
Memory03 wrote:

US Flag

You think the fact that your youth aren't having raffles invalidates the argument. I suppose you have no insurance on your church building, right?

Also, I am still wondering about your scriptural basis?
Friendly Face
2/23/06 10:38 am

Post I grew up in a family of gamblers roughridercog
We were farmers Acts Mod
2/23/06 10:50 am

His disciple wrote:
Memory03 wrote:
His disciple wrote:
Memory03 wrote:

US Flag
I suppose you have no insurance on your church building, right?

if you really suppose that, you would be mentally challenged...

give me a scripture that says it's ok to gamble...give me a scripture that says it bad to use cocaine...give me a scripture that says it's not ok to drive your car into a bridge...

2/23/06 10:50 am

Memory03 wrote:
His disciple wrote:
Memory03 wrote:
His disciple wrote:
Memory03 wrote:

US Flag

give me a scripture that says it's ok to gamble...give me a scripture that says it bad to use cocaine...give me a scripture that says it's not ok to drive your car into a bridge...

The scripture against cocaine would fall under the same scriptures that tell us to be self-controlled. You are not self controlled if you are using cocaine. Drunkenness scriptures would also apply. Technically, I wouldn't call driving your car into a bridge a sin. I'd call it stupid but not a sin.

I can't give you a scripture saying it is okay to gamble anymore than I can give you a scripture that says it's okay to use a public restroom. However, I would hope that you know that we, as Christians, don't determine what is sinful by what the Word allows. We determine sin by what it forbids. If not by scripture, how do you determine gambling to be sinful? How do you explain it to your members?
Friendly Face
2/23/06 11:04 am

Post Re: No scriptural basis...again mealone
His disciple wrote:

The scripture against cocaine would fall under the same scriptures that tell us to be self-controlled. You are not self controlled if you are using cocaine. Drunkenness scriptures would also apply. Technically, I wouldn't call driving your car into a bridge a sin. I'd call it stupid but not a sin.

I can't give you a scripture saying it is okay to gamble anymore than I can give you a scripture that says it's okay to use a public restroom. However, I would hope that you know that we, as Christians, don't determine what is sinful by what the Word allows. We determine sin by what it forbids. If not by scripture, how do you determine gambling to be sinful? How do you explain it to your members?

You have a good point, His disciple.
Acts-celerater
2/23/06 11:17 am

Post singer4him
I look at gambling this way: The money isn't mine but rather I am a steward/manager of it. God is the One Who gives the ability to work and earn a living. I believe that frivolous spending is just as wrong as gambling.

Now, please don't get this wrong...I don't have a problem with living a blessed life. I believe that is God's plan for His children, but I don't think that you should just go out and blow money because you have it in your pocket.

Alright, I've rambled long enough...I must now go and do something productive.
Acts-celerater
2/23/06 11:23 am

His disciple wrote:
Memory03 wrote:
His disciple wrote:
Memory03 wrote:
His disciple wrote:
Memory03 wrote:

US Flag

you could easily fit gambling into the "Self Control" scripture. As it usually causes destruction in the family unit. I saw a news report the other day that said statistics show that over 90% of the people buying lottery tickets are using food/medicine/bill moneys to buy these tickets and that the majority of them are living below poverty level. Would you call those actions sinful? I would...

US Flag

2/23/06 11:34 am

Post We should differentiate between gambling and having fun RonMexicoReturns
I am prepared to be crucified for this, but here goes:

I have no problem theologically or spiritually with having a couple of guys over to play some Hold 'Em with a $5-$10 buy-in. This is not gambling, it's relationship building. We could all go out to a movie and drop $9 each and not talk for 2 hours, or we can have some fun, talk over some cards, and eat some pizza. Win or lose, the more important this is that I got to spend some time with the guys.

Gambling is much different. It's focused on the individual and becomes a vice and often leads to irresponsible and dangerous behavior. I will never put money on a football game or take a vacation to Vegas.

Is playing in the YWEA Golf Tournament much different? Sure, some of the registration fee is going towards a project, but no one cares about that...they want the first place prize which is usually cold-cash! Let's keep our fundamentalism in check.
2/23/06 11:42 am

Post CoGKid50
His disciple wrote:

Are you telling us that you don't have Ins.
on your car or your family????

2/23/06 11:48 am

Post Back to the original question... sonofabishop
OK, forget insurance, and all that....what do you think about poker? I know a lot of people playing it... New Member
2/23/06 11:48 am

Post Re: Back to the original question... singer4him
sonofabishop wrote:
OK, forget insurance, and all that....what do you think about poker? I know a lot of people playing it...

I would say that if no money was involved (as in the initial scenario), then that is no different than playing a game of monopoly.
Acts-celerater
2/23/06 12:03 pm

Post arcticgolfer1
Man I'm glad this is about poker, when I saw it I thought it was about the sequel to Brokeback Mountain.
2/23/06 12:06 pm

Post No, I'm not. His disciple
CoGKid50 wrote:
His disciple wrote:

Are you telling us that you don't have Ins.
on your car or your family????

I have all kinds of insurance and I am worth much more money dead than alive. However, I also do not feel gambling is a sin unless you start blowing through money you can't afford to spend. That would also apply to cars, homes, eating out, or anything else though, wouldn't it?

We are to be good stewards of what the Lord gave us. So, as with most things we want to announce as absolute sin. It is a question of moderation and the heart of our actions.
Friendly Face
2/23/06 1:35 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic