Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why our church has decided to withdraw from the COG
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Gimme a break! Travis Johnson
spartanfan wrote:
I was only trying to be honest and help the boy. A church of 300 where the average contribution (tithes, missions, building fund and all) equals $8.50 per person. You don't see a problem there? Either leadership is not teaching stewardship or he is and the people are not responding to his teaching. I was trying to help and not just patronize him and I get ripped. What does the term "leader" mean anyways? The members follow as the pastor leads. Read Bogg's statement on how he did it. Sounds like leadership to me. I don't know Jamie - never met him. I'll bet he's a great guy, a real Christian man. I wouldn't judge him, I'm just a church consultant with some direction to help him. So don't judge me. I am just trying to offer real help, not useless sympathy. Jamie, get back in and teach your people accountability. You'll be better off in the long run. IMHO!

Have you ever planted a church? Have you ever had a ministry that focused specifically on reaching the unchurched? Or, are you just a good armchair quarterback...errr, consultant?
Acts-dicted
5/11/07 1:48 pm

Post UNCbluebleeder
Spartan,

Sorry if I came across as ripping you. When dealing with the "corporation" known as CoG HQ's, I get a little ruffled. I understand you are offering some sound advice, but, we don't know the in's-and-out's of Jamie's ministry/congregation either. Peace Bro. Smile
5/11/07 1:49 pm

Post This is sad, but very very true. Phil Hoover
Jim Morrison wrote:
. I have not found a bastion of integrity and truthfulness. In fact I don't think honesty is valued that much. In fact many in the COG talk in a way so as never to be pinned down on anything. His (Jamie's) mistake might have been not deciphering the code that was spoken to him, in other words he took it at face value - I have found that to be a big mistake, sorry, very sorry to say.

www.philhoover-chicago.blogspot.com
Acts-pert Poster
5/11/07 2:22 pm

Post Re: Gimme a break! Jamie Noel
spartanfan wrote:
I was only trying to be honest and help the boy. A church of 300 where the average contribution (tithes, missions, building fund and all) equals $8.50 per person. You don't see a problem there? Either leadership is not teaching stewardship or he is and the people are not responding to his teaching. I was trying to help and not just patronize him and I get ripped. What does the term "leader" mean anyways? The members follow as the pastor leads. Read Bogg's statement on how he did it. Sounds like leadership to me. I don't know Jamie - never met him. I'll bet he's a great guy, a real Christian man. I wouldn't judge him, I'm just a church consultant with some direction to help him. So don't judge me. I am just trying to offer real help, not useless sympathy. Jamie, get back in and teach your people accountability. You'll be better off in the long run. IMHO!

I thought I better give you some more info before you assume I don't teach stewarship. As any good pastor does, I teach it on a continual basis. I live it....the church knows my tithe is automatically deducted from my salary.

This is an economically depressed area. All manufacturing is gone and the get a good job, you leave town. You can teach stewardship all you want....until you're blue in the face....but in a church of 80% unchurched people, you can't force their hand.
5/11/07 2:51 pm

Post Re: Gimme a break! Jamie Noel
spartanfan wrote:

I thought I better give you some more info before you assume I don't teach stewarship. As any good pastor does, I teach it on a continual basis. I live it....the church knows my tithe is automatically deducted from my salary.

This is an economically depressed area. All manufacturing is gone and the get a good job, you leave town. You can teach stewardship all you want....until you're blue in the face....but in a church of 80% unchurched people, you can't force their hand.

Let me add that I broke down the per person amount just this March. Our giving came up a little...but not significantly.
5/11/07 2:52 pm

Post Travis spartanfan
Yes, I am a good armchair quarterback. But once I grew a church from under 50 with $300 a week tithes to over 300 with over $3500 per week tithes in about 3 years. This was back in the late 70's. I had 250 new people (mostly unchurched) and taught them stewardship and they responded. So maybe I am qualified to offer an opinion. Please know, I'm just trying to help Jamie and I don't mean harm. I just think that with him teaching 300 people for 3 years and them still giving an average of $8.50 each per week total (tithes, missions, building fund, benevolence, etc.) is really low and if he was teaching stewardship and they were following him he should be past that by now. What part of that do you consider unfair, Travis. Am I wrong to ask him to consider his teaching and/or his peoples response? The people have "Lordship issues", IMHO.....that is if you think that even I am entitled to one, Travis. If not, I'll shut up and all of you guys can just say how sorry you are for poor Jamie. Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
5/11/07 6:49 pm

Post Praying For Success Allen King
I just can't imagine this being a time to lam blast someone who has decided to defect from our movement. I am deeply concerned that we seem to be losing an inordinate number of our quality young men.
Jamie, please know that I will be praying for your success. Many would say that you have chosen to no longer be part of the COG, but I would say that you will always be a part. As God continues to bless your efforts, should we not take joy that one of our own (though they may not have our name on their sign) has found favor with God and man?
I read on this board all too often phrases such as "If you don't love the COG, then leave it!" or "If you can't agree with HQ, get out." These are such loving statements. I wonder if these men say the same thing to their wives when conflict arises in the home.
There are times when authority must be questioned and held to some level of accountability. Otherwise, and I quote, absolute power corrupts absolutely.
I am 3rd generation COG. I am an ordained bishop. My wife is an ordained minister in this church. We have both served on state boards and committees and have labored for this movement for over 25 years together.
Admittedly, there have been times that I have had thoughts of leaving. We have often been ridiculed for taking stands on issues that were worth that risk. I have not always been popular among my COG peers. In fact, I have had some say to my face that I should leave if I did not like what was going on. It would have been easy to move on to another organization. In fact, we have been pursued by others who would welcome us. However, God will not release us. I am committed to seeing needed change come to a dying movement that can revive and see its best days.
Of course, there must be change for that to happen. We must have more accountability at all levels. We have to stop the insanity of the revolving door that simply recycles old ideas in new packaging. We have to have smaller government which would empower the local church. And, we have to have answers to the questions some are asking (and those answers do not need to come second hand or from unsubstantiated sources, but from the mouths and pens of those we place in charge).
Nonetheless, I'm hanging around to see the changes. There are some young leaders who are rising up. If they will stay around long enough for the old guard to die out, they will have their chance to effect change. I want my new grandson to be a 5th generation COG preacher.
I am saddened to see Jamie those like him go. I know that he must do what is right in his heart. I do not blast, but I bless.
I just hope we can stop the bleeding before it is too late.
5/12/07 11:59 am

Post David Boggs
Jamie

I want you to know that when a organization looses guys like you it is a big hit.

Be encouraged in the Lord and pursue the Vision God has given you.

I understand the pressures of Church finances and it is a very difficult thing to deal with. Especially for a young congregation such as yours. You will make it my friend just stay close to God, he will order your steps!

Many times people assume that having a big church means having big money... But in reality having a big church means having BIG BILLS.

I hope you keep us updated on your progress
Acts-celerater
5/12/07 1:17 pm

Post Transformed
I know nothing of the people involved, nor will I tell what I have seen. But add me to the list of people who find this easy to believe.
5/12/07 2:20 pm

Post Everyone can be happy now! Purplebarney
Many in the COG are probably rejoicing over your departure Jamie.....why? Because they don't want to accept the very style of church that was bashed by the night speaker at the GA when they showed your video. Believe me, you are way better off and will reach way more people because you don't have to put up with the denomination anymore. I mean come on, they don't want your style of church.....just ask Marty Baker who is doing great in Augusta....the COG should be begging Marty to speak in every single state meeting to share his success but its not old time pentecost so they don't wanna promote it.

The truth hurts.....I'm 4th generation COG and I can assure you that the COG is in serious trouble when all the people 50+ have left us and gone on to Glory.
Acts-celerater
5/12/07 3:57 pm

Post TheoloJohn
Sorry to see you go, Jamie.
5/13/07 12:13 am

Post For the record.... spartanfan
I'm sorry to see you go too. I wish you'd prayerfully reconsider. I'm sure losing you is a real loss for our church and I wish someone could have worked something out to keep you. Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
5/13/07 1:14 am

Post Sparty archie
You are the Simon Cowel of this board. Keep up the good work. Acts-celerater
5/13/07 11:13 am

Post For what it's worth Far From Cleveland
I'm sorry you are in a bad situation, especially at the level you were promised help that did not come through.

I have never been lied to by an executive in 20+ years of ministry, but since I don't ask them for anything or expect anything from them, it's easy not to be disappointed.

The fact that they pursued you & your ministry should hold them to a place to come through with their promises. It is heartbreaking to me.

I'm sure there are 2 sides to the story (as others have mentioned), but know that there will be many praying for you to win thousands to Jesus.

Have a blessed ministry & know that the Church of God needs men like you.
Friendly Face
5/14/07 2:11 pm

Post THE GRASS ISN'T ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENC happytobeback
MY FATHER WAS ON THE EC WHEN I WAS ORDERED TO TURN MY PAPERS IN. I WAS IN THE MIDST OF PREACHING A NEW CHURCH OUT OF THE CITY OF MEMPHIS. I HAD THE SAME PROMISE. I WAS A BISHOP AND HAD SET 15 CHURCHES IN ORDER IN MY MINISTRY, I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO SETTING THE FAITH FELLOWSHIP CHURCH OF GOD. I WAS TOLD I COULDN'T DO IT.

THEY ASKED BE FOR MY PAPERS BECAUSE MY FATHER WAS IN A STICKY SITUATION WITH THE EC. THEY THOUGHT THAT IT WOULD MOVE MY FATHER TO THEIR SIDE IF I LEFT.

THERE IS GREAT FELLOWSHIPS AND PEOPLE WHO WILL HELP YOU.

I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU.
7/6/07 3:06 pm

Post Re: Everyone can be happy now! onetruegod
[quote="Purplebarney"]Many in the COG are probably rejoicing over your departure Jamie.....why? Because they don't want to accept the very style of church that was bashed by the night speaker at the GA when they showed your video. Believe me, you are way better off and will reach way more people because you don't have to put up with the denomination anymore. I mean come on, they don't want your style of church.....just ask Marty Baker who is doing great in Augusta....the COG should be begging Marty to speak in every single state meeting to share his success but its not old time pentecost so they don't wanna promote it.

The truth hurts.....I'm 4th generation COG and I can assure you that the COG is in serious trouble when all the people 50+ have left us and gone on to Glory.[/quote]

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Friendly Face
7/29/07 1:01 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic