Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Theologically Errant Songs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs Nightsky4
Quote:
what you stated in your previous post

Read Romans 3:25-26
Proverbs 17:15

NS
Watermelon Assassin
2/22/06 9:40 pm

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs Memory03
Nightsky4 wrote:
Quote:
what you stated in your previous post

Read Romans 3:25-26
Proverbs 17:15

NS

neither of those prove people were not on His mind either... US Flag

Real Men get their haircut in a Barber Shop... The rest go to beauty parlors...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/22/06 9:49 pm

Quote:
neither of those prove people were not on His mind either

I never said that people weren't on His mind.

NS
Watermelon Assassin
2/22/06 9:55 pm

Post Here's another one for the theologically incorrect song list Steve Morrison
It's an oldy but a goody,

You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille
Four hungry children
and a crop in the field
You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille

What was the biblical cause of Lucille leaving? Is there ever a fine time for a woman to walk out on her children? I demand an answer!!!!

Ok, sorry, had to inject something satirical into this thread. On a side note, as a child growing up, I thought the line was "400 children", and I just couldn't figure out how you had that many kids.

If ignorance is bliss, then some of you folks are the happiest people around.
Acts Enthusiast
2/22/06 10:16 pm

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs Bishopinsc
Some of the posts in this thread have illustrated exactly what is wrong with much of the modern church scene--a preference for style over substance. They seem to believe that as long as it fits the music and is not contrary to the Bible, it is great. I don't want half-truth filled songs. It seems to me that singing lies is as bad as telling them.
2/22/06 11:18 pm

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs Redneck
Some of these posts show why so many folks are turned off to Christianity. We "Christians" can't agree on issues of substance long enough to really reach the lost and get something accomplished for the Kingdom. It's a lot more productive to pick apart issues that most pew warmers have no idea as to what "theologians" are harping on.

I'll agree to the fact that it is not "theologically" lined up or whatever. I'm not confident enough to argue "the finer points".

Bottom line. The song is uplifting the name of Jesus Christ. Somehow I don't think God is displeased with that. Yet we humans and our optimism have to pick it to death.
2/23/06 12:11 am

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs arcticgolfer1
BishopSC apparently you did not read my original post. Let me say again music and song by it's nature are artistic. The song thus is the artists interpretation of a truth. THE TRUTH is Christ, however if you expect men and women to write a perfect theological song to worship God and agree with the varying theologies you are not going to be singing or listening to any music. You would only be able to sing songs right from the bible and even then, your interpretation of them may not fit with someone else's.

What cracks me up is we act like theologians for picking stupid lines out of songs - WHOOPITY DOO!!!!!!!!11 Do we sit back and do the same things with other men's sermons, probably 9 times out of 10 you could pick out something you don't agree with in just about anyones sermon. Do you then dismiss it and say we shouldn't have preaching if we can't be 100% theologically correct. I've got news for all the supposed scholars here - you are not 100% theologically correct when you preach every Sunday. How can I say that? Well I am sure if I grabbed a PHD in Divinity from Asbury, Cleveland and Dallas they could all find something in your sermon that they think is not sound theology.

Now then I spoke out a few years ago against the usage of the word Bishop as our new title. I thought if you want to be more precise use what the word breaks down into - superintendent, needless to say that doesn't have near the cool religious vibe that Bishop has. I asked a friend who is a Professor at a prestigious Evangelical Seminary if I was right or wrong, I wanted to know. He said technically your right, however the usage of the word as Bishop does know injustice to scripture. Now in the sense we use it, it probably does do injustice to scripture. The point is you may be technically right in a lot of the songs you critique, but the spirit of what the artist is saying in most Christian songs does no injustice to scripture or folks who sing it. Just teach your congregation to know that a Carmen song is not where we get our theological stance from, however they can be fun and uplifting, as well as encouraging and glorify God in the process.
2/23/06 8:39 am

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs Bishopinsc
I have still got to disagree with your pious-sounding open mindedness because of what Jesus Himself said:

John 4:23-24 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Thus I cannot see how it can "be fun and uplifting, as well as encouraging and glorify God in the process" when it is not the truth. I am not speaking of songs that are just artistic or expressive but songs that are absolutely wrong and fallacious. You two seem to have a lot invested in this whole subject--are you the authors and/or singers of some of these ridiculous songs?

Your rants on theological inexactness are beautiful but can lead down the primrose path to destruction. If we follow this line of reasoning to its logical conclusion, we will find ourselves in a theological quagmire where anything and everything goes as long as it "feels" good and "glorifies the Lord." Ask Aaron's two boys about that proposition.
2/23/06 8:53 am

Quote:
Ask Aaron's two boys about that proposition.

Now that is a good point.

NS
Watermelon Assassin
2/23/06 9:53 am

No I am not a pious open minded yah yah. I believe my Theology is correct and can defend it. However I am not a Calvinist and they believe and they also think can defend their position.

I think where we are at am impass is worship vs. music and song. You quoted Christ from John 4 as evidence that all music or song must line up with theology in order to be in the least profitable.
I contend worship that Christ is speaking of is the meaning of the word - Him/God being worthy of all our lives and devotion. Honoring him in all we do including song. However I don't think it is possible for all Christian musicians to be accurate all the time, I am not talking about glaring, obvious, mis-leading theology in song. Instead the nitpicking for the most part that is going on here - "my debt to pay" for instance. Or the other stuff about day and night and God being with me in the dark....obviously if you think about it, it's not accurate. The spirit of the artist is conveying the thought of God being with me when things are horrible - from what I understand. it doesn't take much sound reasoning to figure out what is being said.
Many Christian Teen Dramas focus on the Devil and Jesus fighting and of course Jesus kicking his tail, good energetic, conveys a message in drama of Christ's triumph, although in scripture we don't see Christ and the devil having fisty cuffs.
2/23/06 12:22 pm

Post How about... Lsfpastor
If you get to heaven before I do, poke a hole and pull me through. Or If the KJV was good enough for John the baptist its good enough for me?!

Now those are whacked Laughing Laughing
By the way get off "Above all" Its a great song!!! Wink

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he isn't, and a sense of humor to console him for what he is."
Acts-celerater
2/23/06 12:41 pm

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs TheoloJohn
Redneck wrote:
If you think you can write a song and make it have autonomy with musical phrasing along with being lyrically sound AND be theologically correct....well then have at it.

It is not clear why writing lyrics that are true to Scripture (theologically correct) is so hard. King David did it all the time. It is also not clear why the question of my aptitude for writing lyrics makes one bit of difference here.

Quote:
I understand where you guys are coming from. However I think we are sort of splitting hairs on this issue. It's not like the words or phrasing he used were to go in contrast to God's word. He more than likely used them because they fit, and didn't necessarily conflict.

The fact is, many of these lyrics most definitely DO conflict with Scripture.

How much poison does it take to ruin drinking water?
2/23/06 3:11 pm

one more thing bishopsc you asked or said if it is not theologically correct how can it glorify God? Well by it's existence, because God made music. Because of that fact music and it's creation, like that of man, brings glory to God.
Yes man can go astray and so can folks who make music - thus taking a beautiful creation and making it ugly, yet by it's existence it claims there is a Sovereign God.
2/23/06 3:13 pm

Mem,

The plain teaching of Scripture is that Jesus died for ALL, for whosoever, "for the sins of the whole world." Therefore, it cannot be true that He thought of you or me "above all."

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. He died for all.

2Co 5:14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
2Co 5:15 And [that] he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
2/23/06 3:16 pm

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs Redneck
Quote:
Mem,

The plain teaching of Scripture is that Jesus died for ALL, for whosoever, "for the sins of the whole world." Therefore, it cannot be true that He thought of you or me "above all."

This is like the Red back thread that was running a few days ago. Yes he died for everyone, however the singer is making it personal by saying you thought of me (which every church I have ever been in has done that to a song be it red back/P&W/hymn,etc). . God does have the ability to do that. Think of everybody as well as you at the same time.

It kills me that we have people that want to moan,gripe, and whine about this. We can tear a Baptist, Methodist, UPC, add your denomination here, singer/songwriter to shreds because their lyrics/songs don't line up with the Glorious COG...yet I have NEVER heard a message on Gluttony. All denominations have theologians, and we know that somebody is wrong, otherwise you wouldn't have denominations in the first place. We can rip to shred a few words in a song that don't line up per say because the singer is trying to make it personal. Yet we refuse to split hairs on the issue of fried food and pot licker!!!
2/23/06 3:48 pm

The simple and unavoidable fact remains, that God didn't think of ME or you "above all." What He did he did for perfectly benevolent purposes--for the highest good of ALL. He simply did not think of me (or any other individual) "above all."
2/23/06 4:24 pm

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs notwanghere
It seems to me some of these are simply semantics and not distinct theolgical errors.

I think for example the old Chorus which I sung often "Let Him breath on me, let the breath of God now breath on me." Actually it is "it breath", as the breath is an it, not a "He." These are semantics. I didn't start this thread but I wonder whether this was the intent?
Acts Enthusiast
2/23/06 7:12 pm

Post At the Cross, At the Cross Porpoise Driven Neptune
At the Cross, At the Cross
Where I first saw the light
And the burden of my heart rolled away
It was there by faith I receved my sight
And now I am happy all the day

I believe it is incorrect to teach that you will always be happy if you get saved. I don't know anyone who can truthfully make such a claim.
Acts-celerater
2/23/06 7:22 pm

Post Away in a Manger Porpoise Driven Neptune
The second verse starts with the line:
"The cattle are lowing, the baby awakes, but little Lord Jesus no crying He makes."

Why on earth would anyone believe that a baby wouldn't cry? Did the writer of the song think it was sinful for a baby to cry?

In my opinion this song is theologically incorrect because it promotes Docetism - the idea that Jesus was not fully human.
Acts-celerater
2/23/06 7:24 pm

Post Porpoise notwanghere
Since he was in the middle east maybe they gave Him some wine to drink so he wouldn't cry! It has stopped more than one baby from crying!

No, seriously, good point!
Acts Enthusiast
2/23/06 7:33 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic