Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Theologically Errant Songs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I'm not sure who sings it Steve Morrison
but a few years ago, there was a song that was a big hit on Chirstian radio with the lyrics:

I'd rather walk in the dark with Jesus
than walk in the light alone

nice sentiment, but it's completely impossible to do either of those tasks'.

If ignorance is bliss, then some of you folks are the happiest people around.
Acts Enthusiast
2/22/06 2:27 pm

Post Re: I'm not sure who sings it TheoloJohn
Steve Morrison wrote:
but a few years ago, there was a song that was a big hit on Chirstian radio with the lyrics:

I always thought the author of that song was being purposely paradoxical, and that he meant he'd rather walk in (physical) darkness with Jesus, than walk in (physical) light alone.

But I do agree it just sounds wrong.
2/22/06 2:33 pm

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs sonofabishop
[quote="Bishopinsc"]I posted this under another heading but wanted to see if anyone had any more examples of deficient or just plain wrong theology in Christian music (of whatever kind):

How about this one..

We bring the sacrifice of Praise..

"And we offer up to you, the sacrifices of Thanksgiving.
And we offer up to you, the sacrifices of JOY"

What is that? I've heard the sacrifice of Praise, but I've never been taught what in the world the sacrifice of JOY is! I thought God always gave you joy when there seemed to be none. I didn't know He required a sacrifice of it. I've asked many music ministers, and no one can answer that for me. People sure do seem to worship with it, and I wonder why. Do they all understand what we're singing, but me?

Any help??
2/22/06 3:15 pm

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs TheoloJohn
Psalm 27:6 And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me; Therefore I will offer sacrifices of joy in His tabernacle; I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the LORD.

I don't think the phrase means we sacrifice our joy per se, but instead that we joyously offer up sacrifices to Him. In the New Covenant, these are sacrifices given from the heart, not literal sacrifices of animals and other physical things like the Psalmist no doubt was referring to.
2/22/06 3:43 pm

Post Re: Lord, I lift your name on high singer4him
TheoloJohn wrote:
Land of Middle Girth wrote:
You came from Heaven to earth
To show the way.

Actually he came to be the way.

Another thing about that song that is not scriptural is the line that says, "My debt to pay."

I believe that it is referring to the sin debt that we all owed. He did come to pay it and to reconcile us back to the Father.
Acts-celerater
2/22/06 5:38 pm

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs singer4him
What about all the songs talking about "the old ship of Zion" and all the ones about "glory trains"? Question Question Question

Maybe I'm just too young (at least I would like to think that I'm still young) to actually "get" these songs.

Another one that gets me...

It's Sunday morning and you have unsaved folks in the congregation. You begin singing that grand ole hymn...

"You have heard of little Moses in the bull rush,
You have heard of fearless David and his sling
You have heard the story told of dreaming Joseph
And of Jonah and the whale you often sing...
By and by the Lord will surely let us meet them
At the meeting in the air"

Do we think that EVERYONE has heard of these? Do they have a clue as to what the meeting in the air is referencing? I know that we live in America, but guess what? There are still lost people who don't know who Jesus is and don't know the stories of the Bible.

As Worship Pastor, there are just some songs that I will not sing, especially on Sunday morning!
Acts-celerater
2/22/06 5:50 pm

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs Redneck
I'm going with articgolfer on this one. IMO it is tough to hold a singer/songwriter to the same standard you would preacher/teacher/theologian. Granted the lyrics need to line up with the word, but we all want a song to rhyme, otherwise it sounds pretty stupid.

It is hard to get music to be 100% theologically correct while still worshipful and appeasing everyone at the same time. (It'll never happen) I say we need to cut the "artists" a little slack so long as the message is not in direct conflict with God's word.
2/22/06 6:12 pm

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs studentnurse
Pastor Gary wrote:
Bishopinsc wrote:
Are there other "Christian" songs which espouse clearly unChristian doctrine or concepts?

Here's one that I actually love -- beautiful melody, excellent flow, sounds pretty good except for the last line:

Above all powers above all kings
Above all nature and all created things
Above all wisdom and all the ways of man
You were here before the world began

Above all kingdoms above all thrones
Above all wonders the world has ever known
Above all wealth and treasure of the earth
There's no way to measure what You're worth

Crucified laid behind a stone
You lived to die rejected and alone
Like a rose trampled on the ground
You took the fall and thought of me
Above all

Michael W. Smith wrote a good song, but when Christ was crucified and "took the fall" was he really thinking of me? Or was He thinking of bringing glory to the Father through obedience?

I think that when he wrote that he was thinking that we all would personalize it and in that case, yes Jesus did think of me when he took the fall. If not for his "thought of me" when he took the fall then I would be a very lost creature, as would you, and would not have the choice to make of heaven or hell.
2/22/06 6:21 pm

Post Re: I'm not sure who sings it DHDRabbi
Steve Morrison wrote:

One of my first posts on ACTS nearly six years ago, I talked about "God walks the dark hills." Is it dark if God is there? Laughing

Last edited by DHDRabbi on 2/22/06 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/22/06 6:36 pm

Post Re: Lord, I lift your name on high TheoloJohn
singer4him wrote:
TheoloJohn wrote:
Land of Middle Girth wrote:
You came from Heaven to earth
To show the way.

Actually he came to be the way.

Another thing about that song that is not scriptural is the line that says, "My debt to pay."

I believe that it is referring to the sin debt that we all owed. He did come to pay it and to reconcile us back to the Father.

Yes, I realize that it what the line refers to. The problem is, such a thing is nowhere taught in Scripture. I have diligently searched to find even a scrap of evidence supporting the "sin debt payment" theory in the Bible, and must confess it is not there, unless perhaps it is somewhere contained in the "Bible codes." Wink
2/22/06 6:41 pm

Redneck wrote:
I'm going with articgolfer on this one. IMO it is tough to hold a singer/songwriter to the same standard you would preacher/teacher/theologian. Granted the lyrics need to line up with the word, but we all want a song to rhyme, otherwise it sounds pretty stupid.

It is hard to get music to be 100% theologically correct while still worshipful and appeasing everyone at the same time. (It'll never happen) I say we need to cut the "artists" a little slack so long as the message is not in direct conflict with God's word.

The problem is we are satisfied with worshipping not in truth but in falsehood if we don't expect our song lyrics to be biblically sound.
2/22/06 6:43 pm

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs Bishopinsc
I can't agree with Arctic or Redneck. The fact that they have control over what they are putting into the songs makes them responsible for its content. How can we justify false theology by artistic license? And as far as people being hard to make songs 100% theologically correct, that sounds like a cop-out for sloppy theology to me. If something is worth doing then it is worth doing correctly. One might argue that it is hard to write a book that is 100% theologically correct, but I believe it would be worth the effort and would be expected of any writer.
2/22/06 6:43 pm

studentnurse wrote:

I think that when he wrote that he was thinking that we all would personalize it and in that case, yes Jesus did think of me when he took the fall. If not for his "thought of me" when he took the fall then I would be a very lost creature, as would you, and would not have the choice to make of heaven or hell.

Yes, but it is simply not true that God thought of any one individual "above all."
2/22/06 6:44 pm

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs Nightsky4
Quote:
Yes, but it is simply not true that God thought of any one individual "above all."

I agree. And probably, 'above all' Jesus was thinking about the glory of His Father which He was vindicating by offering Himself as a propitation so that God could be both just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. Because previously God had passed over sins committed and that isn't righteous OR just--without the propitation of Jesus Christ.

NS
Watermelon Assassin
2/22/06 7:43 pm

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs Memory03
Nightsky4 wrote:
Quote:

I agree. And probably, 'above all' Jesus was thinking about the glory of His Father which He was vindicating by offering Himself as a propitation so that God could be both just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. Because previously God had passed over sins committed and that isn't righteous OR just--without the propitation of Jesus Christ.

NS

prove it...

Real Men get their haircut in a Barber Shop... The rest go to beauty parlors...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/22/06 8:17 pm

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs Nightsky4
Quote:
prove it...

Prove what?
Watermelon Assassin
2/22/06 8:35 pm

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs Redneck
TheoloJohn wrote:
Redneck wrote:

The problem is we are satisfied with worshipping not in truth but in falsehood if we don't expect our song lyrics to be biblically sound.

I never said not to be biblically sound.....I think that all too often, much like this thread. Too many folks like to sit on their high horse and cast stones at something they have no ability to do. I have seen many a preacher get his panties in a wad because some "member" thought the preacher should preach like this or that. Like the preacher said to the member. If you think you can get up there and shell the corn out any better.....well then have at it.

If you think you can write a song and make it have autonomy with musical phrasing along with being lyrically sound AND be theologically correct....well then have at it. I understand where you guys are coming from. However I think we are sort of splitting hairs on this issue. It's not like the words or phrasing he used were to go in contrast to God's word. He more than likely used them because they fit, and didn't necessarily conflict.

Last edited by Redneck on 2/22/06 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-celerater
2/22/06 8:41 pm

Post I'd be willing to bet - Min Music
(but gambling used to be against the teachings of the COG)
... That I could find something to pick out in most any sermon that I could contradict - biblically.
What about take no thought for tomorrow -vs- one who doesn't provide for his family is worse than an infidel.
What about it's through grace that we are saved; not through works -vs- faith without works is dead.
- you want me to keep going....
We have to see the intent of the whole song, and sometimes give a little bit of artistic freedom. I know that I have had some dark times before, but I still knew that God was with me...
And you know what? - The Holy Ghost IS for you & me.... Laughing
Friendly Face
2/22/06 9:06 pm

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs tnfan
Pastor Gary wrote:
Bishopinsc wrote:
Are there other "Christian" songs which espouse clearly unChristian doctrine or concepts?

Here's one that I actually love -- beautiful melody, excellent flow, sounds pretty good except for the last line:

Above all powers above all kings
Above all nature and all created things
Above all wisdom and all the ways of man
You were here before the world began

Above all kingdoms above all thrones
Above all wonders the world has ever known
Above all wealth and treasure of the earth
There's no way to measure what You're worth

Crucified laid behind a stone
You lived to die rejected and alone
Like a rose trampled on the ground
You took the fall and thought of me
Above all

Michael W. Smith wrote a good song, but when Christ was crucified and "took the fall" was he really thinking of me? Or was He thinking of bringing glory to the Father through obedience?

Pastor Gary,

If you check you will find that Lenny LeBlanc and Paul Baloche wrote this song and not Michael W. Smith.
2/22/06 9:12 pm

Post Re: Theologically Errant Songs Memory03
Nightsky4 wrote:
Quote:
prove it...

Prove what?

what you stated in your previous post... US Flag

how can one persons opinion be any more accurate than anothers? unless you can prove it... Mr. Green

Real Men get their haircut in a Barber Shop... The rest go to beauty parlors...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/22/06 9:27 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic