Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Should women be pastors?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Pay no attention Karijay KariJay
roughridercog wrote:

While I know you have no desire to be a pastor, I think that you would in time make an excellent one. If God puts a desire in your heart...follow it.

Thanks, Rough. Your confidence in me has always driven me to be my personal best and allow God to use me in any means necessary. You're a wonderful mentor!
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
4/20/07 11:09 am

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post Re: Pay no attention Karijay roughridercog
KariJay wrote:
roughridercog wrote:

While I know you have no desire to be a pastor, I think that you would in time make an excellent one. If God puts a desire in your heart...follow it.

Thanks, Rough. Your confidence in me has always driven me to be my personal best and allow God to use me in any means necessary. You're a wonderful mentor!

Your very welcome. Now go get me a Starbucks. Laughing
4/20/07 11:36 am

Post Re: No...Here's What The Scripture Says.... NPS39
Rev.Mike Bassemier wrote:
This has been a debate for years... "If the men won't do it then the women will" I will use the scripture as my defense on this topic. Look at Titus 1:7-9 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not self willed, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate; Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
I know many will disagree with me and call me old fashion. But a woman's place is not to pastor a church. A woman is NOT to USURP authority over the man. This is a divine violation of God's word, but many do it it complete disregard of God's word.Also, you will NOT find any where in the scripture's were God used a woman to PASTOR a church.

There's nothing in these verses that say a woman cannot be a pastor, in fact, it says a bishop must be a lover of good men, as long as she's got a good man, what's the problem? I'm a bishop and I'll say for certain I'm not loving on any men, good or bad, am I in violation of scripture?
Acts Enthusiast
4/20/07 12:58 pm

Post TheoloJohn
Fundamental to the misunderstanding that always surrounds this subject is the idea that a pastor somehow is "over" people in the sense of "boss" rather than the biblical model of a meek and lowly Christ-like servant.

Also, the exegesis informing the issue is not nearly as airtight as the anti-women-pastors side want to make it out to be.
4/20/07 5:26 pm

Post roughridercog
TheoloJohn wrote:
Fundamental to the misunderstanding that always surrounds this subject is the idea that a pastor somehow is "over" people in the sense of "boss" rather than the biblical model of a meek and lowly Christ-like servant.

Also, the exegesis informing the issue is not nearly as airtight as the anti-women-pastors side want to make it out to be.

I agree. Pastor's are not bosses. They are examples, inspirations, motivators, and instructors in righteousness.
If you begin pastoring with the idea that people will do what you want just because you're the pastor, your idea will be changed quickly.
4/23/07 10:21 am

Post Women don't you know BishopsWife
Our role is to sell hot dogs and donuts so the church can pay the bills? Embarassed Acts Enthusiast
4/23/07 8:03 pm

Post Re: Women don't you know BishopsWife
BishopsWife wrote:
Our role is to sell hot dogs and donuts so the church can pay the bills? Embarassed

And God knew what He was doing when he decided women should have the babies .. He knew the men couldn't stand the pain!! Rolling Eyes
Acts Enthusiast
4/23/07 9:01 pm

Post Yes! All hands on deck to pull in the lost and drowning doyle
If there's a shipwreck and thousands are in the water drowning, those who are dying don't care if it's a pair of male hands or female hands reaching out to rescue them. They don't care if it's a male or female who throws the lifeline their way. All they want is to be rescued.

We're in the business of reaching the lost. Millions are going to hell while we fuss over whether male or females should reach out to them.

Long, long before women were allowed to do anything, after my minister Grandfather Daugherty passed away, Grandmother moved to Casper, Wyoming and pastored a tiny church for four years. It was too small to support a man and his family so Grandma went there, built it up and then turned it over to a male minister. She was 72 years old at the time.

The Gospel is neither male nor female.

One of the big problems some people face in allowing women to pastor churches, is the Scripture that women are not to "usurp" the authority of a man. If a male State Overseer gives her permission and she has men in her church who agree for her to be the pastor, there is no usurping of authority. If she's married and her husband is OK with it, she hasn't usurped authority.

If those over her in the Lord grant her the right to baptize or serve communion, she isn't usurping any authority. I have no problem at all with women serving as ministers or pastoring churches.

Doyle
4/27/07 2:05 pm

Post It is a sad commentary on... Kyle Percival
the state of our church that this discussion is even on this board.
Rolling Eyes
A male pronoun in a Biblical citing does not make a female Pastor invalid.

I suppose the same simple-minded thinking would have us traveling on beasts of burden instead of in automobiles and airplanes. I see no mention of computers, microwaves, radios, telephones, etc. in scripture. Are we wrong to use them?

A woman is not usurping authority in assuming a Pastor's role.

Some of the thinking or lack thereof displayed in this thread is Embarassed SAD! Embarassed
1 Cor. 10:31
Acts-celerater
4/27/07 2:49 pm

Post Jesus atouchoffolly
Jesus was not the husband of one wife. Would we exclude him to bishop his church based on the Scripture?
4/29/07 8:24 pm

Post Re: It is a sad commentary on... Charlie Metz
Kyle Percival wrote:
the state of our church that this discussion is even on this board.
Rolling Eyes
A male pronoun in a Biblical citing does not make a female Pastor invalid.

I suppose the same simple-minded thinking would have us traveling on beasts of burden instead of in automobiles and airplanes. I see no mention of computers, microwaves, radios, telephones, etc. in scripture. Are we wrong to use them?

Some of the thinking or lack thereof displayed in this thread is Embarassed SAD! Embarassed

then lets remove all references about male and female from the Bible! Adam is Eve are asexual names and they asexually reproduced. IMHO that is a ridiculous argument. The apostles specifically mentioned male and female roles.
"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it." Matt. 7:13-14
Acts-celerater
4/30/07 7:28 am

Post Re: Jesus Charlie Metz
atouchoffolly wrote:
Jesus was not the husband of one wife. Would we exclude him to bishop his church based on the Scripture?

Jesus did a lot of things that we cannot do and didn't do a lot of things that we unfortunately do (sin). Also, Jesus was and is Jesus, not the pastor of a local church. Also, someone needs to tell the apostles that piece of information to so they can go back and fix the scriptures referencing their writings about male and female roles.
"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it." Matt. 7:13-14
Acts-celerater
4/30/07 7:30 am

Post COGCharlie, Kyle Percival
when in reference to ones Christianity, the gender is insignificant.

We are supposed to adapt to a middle-eastern mindset?

Women can minister in the pulpit, lead worship, direct choirs, teach Sunday School, preach in Children's Church...

BUT...they can't pastor a church? Rolling Eyes

Are you kidding me? Wink
1 Cor. 10:31
Acts-celerater
4/30/07 10:53 am

Post Jesus may be Jesus atouchoffolly
but Paul was not the husband of one wife. He was the husband of no wife. So are you suggesting that he's a hypocrite when he's writing or do you think your interpretation is a little rigid?
5/3/07 4:35 pm

Post women pastors beevow07
Following salvation I attended a church with a woman pastor (not cog) and I have also preached revivals in several churches with women pastors.(not cog)

One of the things that I noticed was the demeanor of the husbands of these women. Two that I recall didn't even attend church. All of them however seemed to be very timid and backwards almost cowering in some ways.

I think the difficulty with a woman pastor is leading, and being the shepherd over a congregation of people and being in the seat of authority and then going home and being the wife under the husband. I guess if these roles can be balanced it's okay. I am glad some women have decided to pastor because many of them have done great works for God. I just wonder how healthy it is for the marriage which most people never know. Rolling Eyes
5/4/07 7:56 am

Post Re: Yes! All hands on deck to pull in the lost and drowning SKT
doyle wrote:
If there's a shipwreck and thousands are in the water drowning, those who are dying don't care if it's a pair of male hands or female hands reaching out to rescue them. They don't care if it's a male or female who throws the lifeline their way. All they want is to be rescued.

That's great, but that's not a pastor you're talking about. That's the work of a believer. Surely you don't think that this is a direct parallel only to the work of a pastor, do you? There is no direct correlation. The following logic doesn't wash: All pastors evangelize therefore all that evangelize are pastors.

I hope everybody understands that man and woman alike should be a witness for the Lord. I also hope that everybody understands that being called to share the hope within us is not the same call as that of a pastor. It does no good at all to reduce the function of Pastor to that of believer - other than muddy the waters so that one can argue gender without full clarity.
Hey, DOC
6/27/07 1:27 pm

Post Until a man can fill the pulpit. Truth Be Told
1 Cor. 11:3: But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
There is nothing as special or more wonderful than a woman that is the prayerful, loving, and devoted force beside her husband. The giving, teaching, and tender force behind her child. The faithful, understanding, and holy woman within the church. The dedicated, hard working, and honorable woman in the workforce.
The Bible describes women as beautiful, wise, gracious, virtuous, honorable, holy. They are to be obedient, loyal, modest, devoted, tender. They are not to shave their heads, be unchaste, or usurp authority, but are Equal in Christ as heirs according to the promise of salvation.
True there have been great women of the Bible that did great things without the help or permission of man, but they knew that the man is the head and gave God glory in the recognition of that fact.
If there is no man, able to teach or preach, than God would allow a woman to do so.... but, I would think from what the word says, that when an able man came, the woman in humble submission to God's word, not the man, would step aside to let him become the shepherd. We are not talking about prohibiting the reaching out to witness or save, but the role of a woman as God has presented it in His word.
Women need to realize that the gift that has been given them to be who they are in Christ Jesus, is more than the women's lib movement can give, any law can grant, or any title can bestow.
Hey, DOC
6/27/07 5:08 pm

Post mrst2974
NO women should not be pastors. They are too emotional to where men are more calm and level headed and are able to address problems and issues where women harbor feelings.

NO WOMEN PASTORS!
7/11/07 3:04 pm

Post Re: It is a sad commentary on... onetruegod
[quote="COGCharlie"][quote="Kyle Percival"]the state of our church that this discussion is even on this board.
Rolling Eyes
[b]A male pronoun in a Biblical citing does not make a female Pastor invalid[/b].

Some of the thinking [i]or lack thereof [/i]displayed in this thread is Embarassed [b]SAD[/b]! Embarassed[/quote]

then lets remove all references about male and female from the Bible! Adam is Eve are asexual names and they asexually reproduced. IMHO that is a ridiculous argument. The apostles specifically mentioned male and female roles.[/quote]

if you study the book of Genesis you will find in the beginning of creation that Adam was neither male nor female. Gender is not an issue here. Very good points have been made. I think my favorite is would we not allow Jesus to Bishop his own church. LOL. That's a great one! I totally agree! The apsotles did mention seperate roles, but you can't take a portion of the Bible and preach it out of context not giving place to the rest of the bible. You must consider the day and time they lived in and the roles that men and women played. You must consider their culture. Consider their culture even today. In some of those country's women still don't hold many rights. Does that make every American woman wrong? The scripture references people have used before stating that women should be quite in church is when Paul said they should go home and ask their husbands if they had any questions. You have to realize they had this new found freedom in Christianity that they had never experienced in the former thus bringing along with the unknown some confusion and maybe chaos, The churches back then didn't have PA systems so I'm sure since men and women didn't worship together that the women couldn't hear alot of what was being said, and what about those women who weren't married yet or the widows? Who were they going to go home and ask? We really have to understand what the apostles were referring to before we blindly go and say women can't pastor or teach or whatever the case may be.
Friendly Face
7/30/07 11:42 pm

Post Should women be pastors? view from afar
It is odd to me that North Americans always think of Latin men as macho. Yet, in Latin America women with the call of God on their life are allowed to follow that calling, and are considered nearer the level of men in ministry than the average COG woman in the U.S.

I know of many successful female pastors. One of the keys to their success is to have a male presence on the pastors council, in leadership of services, etc.

A female pastor, who surrounds herself with female council members and leaders, will build a mostly female congregation.

We may ask ourselves if having a male pastor and all male leadership affects the gender balance of our stateside churches....
9/11/07 11:24 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic