Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Should COG ministers be allowed to pastor nonCOG churches?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Memory03
my Barber Shop is non denomational... guess that means i'll be ask to leave... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Real Men get their haircut in a Barber Shop... The rest go to beauty parlors...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/20/07 9:29 am

Post roughridercog
Memory03 wrote:
my Barber Shop is non denomational... guess that means i'll be ask to leave... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Not as long as you give discounts to COG preachers.
4/20/07 11:09 am

Post Question Bowtat
When I was at lee Dr. Usherwood pastored a liturgical church. I am sure that he did not loose his license. I am sure that it had nothing to do with the fact that the university "needed" him.

I am also pretty sure that most of our state, national, and international evangelists preach outside of the cog. Does that seem odd that we worry so much about pastors, but evangelists have no boundaries? Both "take" money from out side of our denomination. I am not sure how I feel about the pastors, based on the why all of us, more then likely, have no problem with the evangelists.
Friendly Face
4/23/07 10:46 am

Post I know for a fact roughridercog
that Dr. Jerry Daffe, one of our finest instructors at Lee U pastored a nondenominational church for years when he taught at NBC. Granted, it was a seed in the dentures of a couple of overseers, but the important thing was that ministry was going forth.

Now you're not going to get much more Church of God than Jerry. Tell him Roughrider said so.
4/23/07 12:01 pm

Post Your problem once again is sheepdogandy
centralized government.

It all comes down to the issue of control.

In another governmental setting Cleveland loses their beloved control over everything.

Having said that I know of a C/G man who pastored a Methodist church for years with the SO's knowledge.

It's who you are that makes the difference.

Poor TL, in spite of everything.

He never got elected as General Overseer.

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/24/07 9:05 am

Post Tim Finlayson
Wisdom says to delete this post. Cool Acts Enthusiast
4/24/07 1:15 pm

Post Sheepdogandy- it isn't centralized government trae
It is either real rules or perceived rules that are the culprit. Surely, you have some rules in your church... don't you? Do you "allow" your staff to operate totally independent of your "rules" and instruction? I think not allowing COG "credentialled" ministers to pastor churches outside the denomination is uncalled for by those who would disagree with me.

However, your penchant for seeing all discussions/issues/problems in the COG as rising from centralized government is a bit myopic. In fact, I suggest that most problems in the COG will, on some scale, be experienced by you in your pastorate. The difference is the size and complexity or the issues- not the basic issue. People are people whether in the COG or your local church.
4/24/07 1:38 pm

Post The church staff sheepdogandy
(including Licensed Ministers and Ordained Elders) is composed of members (Stewards) of the congregation.

As such they entered into covenant with one another concerning doctrine.

I instruct those under my care who preach, to take full advantage of every opportunity they are given.

They do so without violating their covenant commitment.

www.spwc.church
4/24/07 2:11 pm

Post pastoring non cog churches beevow07
I personally believe that it is okay depending on the situation. You know, the cog isn't the only way. I have heard of many churches, especially independent pentecostal churches, who need pastors. In this state, there seems to be an overload of ministers and not enough churches to go around. I believe it would be quite ridiculous to start or plant a cog church right down the road or within a 10 mile radius of a church needing a pastor. Should we not put one our ministers who are not active in there if he/she so desires? (As long as we have the same doctrine and theology)Hey the cog just might be able to pull them in.

But there should not be timetables placed upon it like a friend of mine had. He wanted to pastor a church out of the cog. He was permitted to do so by the ab but, was given 2 years to bring this independent holiness church into the cog or he would have to leave. He took deal, God blessed it, it grew, 2 years came and he was made to leave by the ab or he would lose his license. The church is now back down and a part of the chc denomination. Go figure Idea .
4/26/07 6:04 am

Post flimflam
Memory03 wrote:
many AB's will allow you to do so... they will give you one year to bring it into the CoG... if you cannot get them in the CoG by then you will have to chose between the two...

I know of a minister pastoring a COG congeration and he also has an independent work. That independent work is over a year old and no mention of coming into the organization.
11/13/07 12:15 am

Post Coming from the other side of the question Randy Johnson
I was credentialed with the Assemblies of God from 1981 until the end of 2007. In April 2003, the Lord led me to the Caring Center Church of God. As I described in another post, my initial reaction was fear and doubt that I could "handle" the music and the people of the church. I went on a Sunday morning, Sunday night, and on Monday the Lord instructed me to prepare my ministerial resume and give it to the Pastor after service Wednesday night.

I questioned the Lord about this because the Sunday that I finally obeyed Him and visited the Caring Center, the associate pastor was preparing to leave to work with another church, and I heard the Pastor mention something about getting their new MIP intern up to speed. My heart sank when I heard this because I thought there would be no room for me at the church.

On Wednesday, they were having a Bible study based on 1 John 2:15. I've never been shy, so I participated in the discussion. At one point, I started to say, "When I pastored in (blank), we had a situation where....." That is all the farther I got. The pastor stopped me and asked, "You're a pastor?" I replied, "Yes." He responded, "Do you want a job?" I answered him affirmatively and at the same time pulled my resume out of my suit coat pocket and handed it to him right there in the sanctuary.

He interviewed me later that week and "hired" me as a volunteer associate pastor. His only requirement was that I NOT buy a motorcycle or he would fire me. Our family joined the church and was soon accompanied by my 73 year old mother and my two oldest sons.

I was raised to respect authority and to "Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves". I knew I was not an official associate pastor in the eyes of the COG, and that I was an ordained A/G minister serving in a non-AG church. So I contacted my A/G State Superintendant and obtained permission to serve at the Caring Center. I also made an appointment with the Indiana AB and got his permission to serve at the Caring Center.

The A/G has never had a problem with its ministers serving non-A/G church just as long as we continued to preach and teach in agreement with the Statement of Fundamental Truths. There is enough similarity between the A/G and COG that I never had a problem staying true to both organizations. I sent 75% of my tithes to the A/G and 25% to the Caring Center.

I think if a person has the right spirit it should not be a conflict. If it is just about who gets the money and who has control, that is an unfortunate issue that is a bigger problem than where a minister serves.
1/30/08 3:47 pm

Post Sounds kind of communist to me... REVKC
I hereby appoint a COg exhorter minister, you shall never preach again in a non COG position, you shall not again attend a non cog congregation, how dare you convert a sould in non COG building and how dare you take money from a non COG offering, the only way to repent is give us the money.

It seems to me the COG has a big pecking order to fulfill, I wonder if they planned or if just by accident they know that there pecking order is destroying the loyal young ministers at the bottom who have a heart for God and the ability to lead the Church into the future.
Friendly Face
5/13/08 11:56 am

Post Colored Butterbean
And why not?
Why can't you be licensed with COG and pastor another kind of church.
My goodness, the COG is not the only church, members that are going to heaven.
When will our COG people get over this?
Get real people, it is not about the TITLE COG, it is about people getting saved, that are lost.
It doesn't matter.
Get a life and get over the fact COG is all there is.
There are a lot more churches and you should be honored for whoever needs a pastor to go and feed the sheep and be a vessel that help save a life from burning in hell.
1/16/09 3:48 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic