Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why we are losing our BRIGHTEST and our BEST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post To Kevin SouthGeorgiaBoy
KevinLloyd wrote:
Grandpa Cleland wrote:
Travis Says:
Quote:
According to Dennis McGuire, we have a severe shortage of young ministers.

So according to your thinking, pastors who hold COG credentials but don't pastor COG churches and pay no tithe of tithe to headquarters are what we need to boost our shortage????

I highly doubt that is what DM meant in that statement. As far as I am concerned, if you don't pay the tithe of tithe and you don't pastor a COG church you have no business holding credentials... It isn't that hard anymore to go through the state and get them... If you don't like the COG, don't like the "tax" system as it is referred to, than why would you get the honor of holding credentials with that organization?? You can't have your cake and eat it to...

(I do understand Pastor Jim and similar situations like that... but to deliberately say "I won't be COG, than you need to turn in your credentials.)

i have not said that i WON'T be CG. i have said that i am not right now. i do not know what the future holds.

I do not know you personally. But, for what it's worth, I have been a pastor for 24 years and I do hope that you will decide to be part of what is called the Church of God. You do not have to be in this movement to make a great impact on the Kingdom...we just want you to be in here with us! We may all differ in style but we are the same in Spirit!
Acts Enthusiast
4/4/07 10:05 pm

Post Re: To Kevin Travis Johnson
SouthGeorgiaBoy wrote:
I do not know you personally. But, for what it's worth, I have been a pastor for 24 years and I do hope that you will decide to be part of what is called the Church of God. You do not have to be in this movement to make a great impact on the Kingdom...we just want you to be in here with us! We may all differ in style but we are the same in Spirit!

This is a great post. Thanks, SGB...terrific.
Acts-dicted
4/4/07 10:25 pm

Post Re: To Kevin KevinLloyd
SouthGeorgiaBoy wrote:
KevinLloyd wrote:
Grandpa Cleland wrote:
Travis Says:
Quote:
According to Dennis McGuire, we have a severe shortage of young ministers.

So according to your thinking, pastors who hold COG credentials but don't pastor COG churches and pay no tithe of tithe to headquarters are what we need to boost our shortage????

I highly doubt that is what DM meant in that statement. As far as I am concerned, if you don't pay the tithe of tithe and you don't pastor a COG church you have no business holding credentials... It isn't that hard anymore to go through the state and get them... If you don't like the COG, don't like the "tax" system as it is referred to, than why would you get the honor of holding credentials with that organization?? You can't have your cake and eat it to...

(I do understand Pastor Jim and similar situations like that... but to deliberately say "I won't be COG, than you need to turn in your credentials.)

i have not said that i WON'T be CG. i have said that i am not right now. i do not know what the future holds.

thank you so much. that means a great deal to me.
www.kevinlloydlive.com
www.twitter.com/kevinlloyd
Acts-celerater
4/4/07 11:17 pm

Post List of young men C. Chris Moody
Wow I finally finished reading this thread. It seems to me there is a lot of confusion on what is an emerging church. I really feel like we are fighting allies. After all, we are all on the same team. I cannot go along with everything emerging, seeker, or whatever else you call them, nor do I go along with everything the hyper traditionalists. ( Wow, now that is a new term i learned right here on Acts)

I think what must happen in any given city is for the pastor to lead. Your church has to be relevant for the culture you pastor. The only problem I have is compromising our message. I pastor in Cleveland Tn. There is a church on every corner and not one of them is alike. Point is that we all have our preferences. To say that one will not work may be true in your area, but not in their area. Church growth cannot be packaged in a box and done. It may or may not work.

With all that said, i have a major problem with how we do evangelism and church planting in the United States. The way we do evangelism and church planting has to change. We were offered a cut of the tithe of tithe and did not vote it in. I ain't going there on this thread. Yes our church is growing overseas and the biggest reason for that is MONEY. The 2.5% amounts to 12-14 million dollars. Like it or not, it is seeing results. However you cannot build many churches when your evangelism departments budget is only 400,000. I wont high-jack the thread any longer.

Finally to address the original posters topic: Here is my list on young men right now in the church. These men are in their 20's and 30's. Feel free to add to the list. As far the ones who have left Tony Brock, Tony Byrd, kevin Lloyd... I think this can get us started. i think you will see the ones who have stayed will outweigh the ones who have left. As long as there is a denomination, there will be people coming and going all the time. Lets be real how many of you keep everyone who comes through your doors? Just a note these are just guys I randomly came up with. it just came as I typed.

Tony Stewart Tampa Florida
Travis Johnson Florida
Anthony McDaniel Florida
Kevin Wallace TN
Patrick Wooten Texas
Travis Ballinger TN
Hershel Baker TN
Scott Cardin TN
Jeremy Mcginnis TN
Edwin Lipsey TX
Brady Hacker TX
Jonathan Boling AL
Casey Smith FL
Rob Bailey TX
Brien Sturgil TX
Kip Box AL
Brian Wade Maine
Barry Clardy S Ohio
Brett Jerriel S. GA
Chuck Ramsey N. Ga
Michael Knight Kentucky
David Boggs Kentucky
Trent Taylor TX
Brent Stephens LA
Shea Hughes Missouri
Rob Maggert Arkansas
Andrew Provazek TX
Kevin Kleinhenz TX
Buck Marshall TX
Kevin McGlammery TN

C. Chris Moody[/list]
Belt Jerker
4/5/07 10:47 am

Post Good post Chris... prefontaine
I don't know most of those guys, but the few that I know of are great. I have gotten to hear Kevin McGlammery speak a few times now (and was able to do worship for him a few nights) and he is a great communicator, and will be great for the COG. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/5/07 10:53 am

Post Travis Ballinger is the man.... Grandpa Cleland
great guy and great family...

Grandpa
Acts-celerater
4/5/07 11:44 am

Post Re: Travis Ballinger......please..... Travis Johnson
Tom Sterbens wrote:
And for that matter.....can anyone with the name "Travis" be called best or brightest?????

Doubtful. I know that Ballenger kid. Like me, he has one redeeming factor- an awesome wife. Trav and Sharon are awesome people. I only have a little ill will for him. I fell under the evil influences of him and Lenny Garrison in a couple Christian Ed classes that really started my downward academic spiral at Lee. Senioritis hit me a semester early when I started hanging on the back row of that class with those two.

Also, the spanish word "travieso" means trouble maker. Don't tell me that names aren't important. Parents, think long before naming your kids. At least, I am surrounded by some good people in this thread...guys like Pastor Moody.
Acts-dicted
4/5/07 1:10 pm

Post Travis Johnson
Chris,

Your list of young guys staying can be much longer with guys like J.B. Hurt, Nathan Griffis, Ryan Kramer, Brian Hunter, Ken Hitte, Jason Smith, Jon Stone, Nathan Villareal, Jason Moore, Mike Hall, Vince Hungate, Winfield Bevins, Jamie Noel, Jonathon Martin, and on and on. We really do have some of the best people in the world within the COG. No doubt about it. I am honored to have been born into this. I want to see it grow, develop, and facilitate Kingdom work in a big, focused way.

I guess I just miss the guys that have left. And, I don't want to lose anymore. I want to see the COG grow and expand. I want to see the guys I grew up with stay here as they come into their own season. I want to maintain close ties with the guys I came up with within the COG. We've got guys like Steve Saccone who came up in the COG that are out doing awesome stuff at Willow and now at Mosaic. I am excited for that. But, let's position ourselves to affirm them, keep more of these guys, and grow with them. They are pursuing. Let's let them pursue and create new things within our fellowship. We'll be better for it if we facilitate that.
Acts-dicted
4/5/07 1:22 pm

Post A subtle reminder from the "pew"... Phil Hoover
Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

This is a great thread...really it is. I'm reading names that I've not heard in many, many years. Some of these folks I knew when they were....oh well, I digress.

It's important to remember that GOD'S KINGDOM is not just an "ecclesiastical corporation" for a bunch of "high-powered people" to steam-roll through the world.

I'm all for integrity and ethics, as well as honesty and faithfulness.

But this is KINGDOM WORK...and there really is only one KING...His name is Jesus Christ!

His kingdom is LOVE and LIGHT....there must be a stark difference between the "kingdoms of this world"--Wall Street, Broadway, The Loop, Hollywood, et al (not saying we can't learn something from all these places) and the "kingdom of our God and of His Christ..."

Blessings.
Acts-pert Poster
4/5/07 1:33 pm

Post Trav C. Chris Moody
I agree with you 100 percent. I really enjoy reading some of these names I went to school with. My point for starting the list is to let people know there are a lot of younger guys still on the vine. We outnumber the ones who have left. Belt Jerker
4/5/07 2:01 pm

Post after all of the pages... Grandpa Cleland
I looked back through the last 12 pages, and I honestly forget who said that the COG was losing its brightest and best???

Who was it that started this, and where is the list of all of the "brightest" and "best" that have left. I am trying to keep a total and right now we have three listed...

Grandpa
Acts-celerater
4/5/07 6:00 pm

Post stp89
This discussion reminds me of the disciples arguing about who would be the greatest in the Kingdom while Jesus was trying to tell them about His sacrificial death.

Who are the brightest and best? Probably those we have never heard of- those not interested in making a name for themselves or "coming into their own." Who is Paul? Who is Apollos? Who is STP?

Jesus is the brightest and best. Let's stop trying to exalt ourselves and thinking more highly of ourselves than we ought to.
Acts Enthusiast
4/6/07 8:23 am

Post The question is suspect! spartanfan
In my neck of the woods we are not losing anybody - I take that back, we had a couple of guys a few years ago who we lost because of sexual sins. I don't think you would call them either the brightest or the best. We keep gaining new young ministers and losing none. So I guess the question is relevant only to the place where the original poster is from. Besides that, if we were losing our brightest then spartanfan would no doubt be gone! (relax, just kidding!) Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
4/6/07 8:30 am

Post Leigh Teabing
We're not losing our brightest & best - Old Brother Leigh is staying right here in the ChurchaGawd!

Blessings,

Brother Leigh
Brighter & Better (and Humbler) than Ever!
Friendly Face
4/6/07 9:28 am

Post Memory03
stp89 wrote:
This discussion reminds me of the disciples arguing about who would be the greatest in the Kingdom while Jesus was trying to tell them about His sacrificial death.

Who are the brightest and best? Probably those we have never heard of- those not interested in making a name for themselves or "coming into their own." Who is Paul? Who is Apollos? Who is STP?

Jesus is the brightest and best. Let's stop trying to exalt ourselves and thinking more highly of ourselves than we ought to.

kinda like a couple of guys breaking their arms patting themselves on the back...

Real Men get their haircut in a Barber Shop... The rest go to beauty parlors...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/6/07 7:31 pm

Post Best and Brightest Discussion Far From Cleveland
Without hijacking, I'd like to point out a side thought here.

I am a pastor who is under the age of 40, but in no way consider myself for any discussion the "best & brightest".

My concern is that we be focused on being "obedient & effective". Obedient to the Holy Ghost & effective in our ministry efforts.

With that said, there are hundreds (maybe thousands?) of young men and women who are part of the Church of God making a HUGE impact on the Kingdom.

Some are pastors, teachers & missionaries. Some are doctors, lawyers & bankers. Some are stay at home parents raising their kids in a Godly fashion while still others are faithfully leading a worship team or a Sunday School class.

The Church of God is truly in God's Hands. As long as young men & women are passing the torch to the next generation, then we'll be okay.

Perfect? Not until we see HIM. But I'd rather be in the boat trying to fix the holes rather than outside the boat.
Friendly Face
4/9/07 12:42 pm

Post Still in and bright wahoo
Tony Vismor, Watkinsville, GA
Scott Shepherd, Athens, GA
Chad Smith, LaGrange, GA
Bruce Deal, Atlanta, GA

All still relatively young, all still growing strong ministries, all forward thinkers, all could have gone elsewhere but have chosen to stay--don't know why they are still with us but glad they are.

I am sure there are many others I don't happen to know who are succeeding in the pastorate, who are among the best and brightest, and who are just unknown to most.
Acts-celerater
4/9/07 9:02 pm

Post eagle1
This forum has become very redundant and needs to close....Blah Blah Blah Shocked

www.lifechurchateaston.com
http://rodneymullins.wordpress.com/
www.myspace.com/pastormullins
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
4/9/07 9:36 pm

Post Re: Still in and bright Travis Johnson
wahoo wrote:
Chad Smith, LaGrange, GA

Chad Smith could pass for a double of Jim Carrey. Super guy...Chad not Jim. Jim should have stayed in comedy. Now, I have to deal with Will Ferrell as the funny guy.
Acts-dicted
4/10/07 7:00 am

Post Re: List of young men SkyPilot
C. Chris Moody wrote:
Wow I finally finished reading this thread. It seems to me there is a lot of confusion on what is an emerging church. I really feel like we are fighting allies. After all, we are all on the same team. I cannot go along with everything emerging, seeker, or whatever else you call them, nor do I go along with everything the hyper traditionalists. ( Wow, now that is a new term i learned right here on Acts)

I think what must happen in any given city is for the pastor to lead. Your church has to be relevant for the culture you pastor. The only problem I have is compromising our message. I pastor in Cleveland Tn. There is a church on every corner and not one of them is alike. Point is that we all have our preferences. To say that one will not work may be true in your area, but not in their area. Church growth cannot be packaged in a box and done. It may or may not work.

With all that said, i have a major problem with how we do evangelism and church planting in the United States. The way we do evangelism and church planting has to change. We were offered a cut of the tithe of tithe and did not vote it in. I ain't going there on this thread. Yes our church is growing overseas and the biggest reason for that is MONEY. The 2.5% amounts to 12-14 million dollars. Like it or not, it is seeing results. However you cannot build many churches when your evangelism departments budget is only 400,000. I wont high-jack the thread any longer.

Finally to address the original posters topic: Here is my list on young men right now in the church. These men are in their 20's and 30's. Feel free to add to the list. As far the ones who have left Tony Brock, Tony Byrd, kevin Lloyd... I think this can get us started. i think you will see the ones who have stayed will outweigh the ones who have left. As long as there is a denomination, there will be people coming and going all the time. Lets be real how many of you keep everyone who comes through your doors? Just a note these are just guys I randomly came up with. it just came as I typed.

Tony Stewart Tampa Florida
Travis Johnson Florida
Anthony McDaniel Florida
Kevin Wallace TN
Patrick Wooten Texas
Travis Ballinger TN
Hershel Baker TN
Scott Cardin TN
Jeremy Mcginnis TN
Edwin Lipsey TX
Brady Hacker TX
Jonathan Boling AL