Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Cancelling Sunday night services
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post UNCbluebleeder
The Bible still says, "not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together, SO MUCH THE MORE as we see the day approaching". No we aren't to worship the Sunday evening service, nor any other service, but it almost seems that we've made idols out of our families, i.e., I MUST have my kids in 3 different sports at once (yeah, that's real quality time, right), we MUST spend Sunday evenings together because were so busy throughout the week with OUR STUFF we just can't squeeze in fellowship and worship with fellow believers, even though the Bible says "as iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another", etc., etc. We've made idols out of our families under the name of "family time" and believed God is blessing it. Is Sunday evening services the end-all, no, if your church has other things going on different times THAT YOU'RE A PART OF that's great, but if were just TOO BUSY we don't have time to gather with people of like-mind and like-faith, then we're TOO BUSY. Leonard Ravenhill made a great statement, "with greatness comes simplicity", and we've gotten so far away from the. This isn't a slap at anyone, just my view.
3/30/07 7:28 am

Post We Scooter
We got a little negative feedback at first. Mostly from generally negative people.

Ours turns out is proving to increase the assembling of ourselves together.

We meet in homes on Friday night and then have special functions on Sunday evening. It has also given us the liberty to start a 5th Sunday night district service.

So it' all good. Cool
Acts Enthusiast
3/30/07 7:37 am

Post georgiapath
UNCbluebleeder wrote:
Kevin,

No offense, but in my opinion, your excuses are rather lame. You said "People are too busy", WHAT? Whose fault is that, God's, I don't think so. And maybe if more people spent more time at church instead of "running to and fro seeking pleasure", then maybe they would learn priorities as far as God is concerned.

My thoughts exactly.
Acts-dicted
3/30/07 9:27 am

Post Sunday night gets leftovers tsturgell
How long does your pastor prepare for Sunday night? How long do you think he spends on Sunday Morning? God requires our best, not what's left. Some of you need to stop allowing the spirit of religion to control you. He who the Son sets free is free indeed. You won't go to hell for not wanting to have Sunday night church.

http://www.toddsturgell.org
http://www.facebook.com/toddsturgell
http://twitter.com/toddsturgell
http://www.stevenscreekchurch.com/
Friendly Face
3/31/07 2:40 pm

Post Telecaster
UNCbluebleeder wrote:
The Bible still says, "not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together, SO MUCH THE MORE as we see the day approaching". No we aren't to worship the Sunday evening service, nor any other service, but it almost seems that we've made idols out of our families, i.e., I MUST have my kids in 3 different sports at once (yeah, that's real quality time, right), we MUST spend Sunday evenings together because were so busy throughout the week with OUR STUFF we just can't squeeze in fellowship and worship with fellow believers, even though the Bible says "as iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another", etc., etc. We've made idols out of our families under the name of "family time" and believed God is blessing it. Is Sunday evening services the end-all, no, if your church has other things going on different times THAT YOU'RE A PART OF that's great, but if were just TOO BUSY we don't have time to gather with people of like-mind and like-faith, then we're TOO BUSY. Leonard Ravenhill made a great statement, "with greatness comes simplicity", and we've gotten so far away from the. This isn't a slap at anyone, just my view.

Amen Amen Amen! This should be framed.
Acts Enthusiast
3/31/07 3:10 pm

Post Re: Sunday night gets leftovers Telecaster
tsturgell wrote:
How long does your pastor prepare for Sunday night? How long do you think he spends on Sunday Morning? God requires our best, not what's left. Some of you need to stop allowing the spirit of religion to control you. He who the Son sets free is free indeed. You won't go to hell for not wanting to have Sunday night church.

Are you saying that all pastors give what's left on Sunday nights? Are you saying those who want Sunday night services or who don't want to forsake the assembling of themselves together are being controlled by a religious spirit? Exactly what are you saying here because I don't get it. No you won't go to hell for not wanting to go on Sunday night, but you will go to hell if you don't hold attending God's house and giving Him his day, not ours, important and in high regard. After all, it is one of the orginial ten . . . .
Acts Enthusiast
3/31/07 3:12 pm

Post Re: Sunday night gets leftovers Political_Pastor
Telecaster wrote:
but you will go to hell if you don't hold attending God's house and giving Him his day, not ours, important and in high regard. After all, it is one of the orginial ten . . . .

Our church is doing a new thing...Church ALL DAY on Sunday...after all its His day...and I don't want anyone to go to Hell.
Friendly Face
3/31/07 3:18 pm

Post Telecaster
Well good for you. Acts Enthusiast
3/31/07 3:21 pm

Post Re: Sunday night gets leftovers tsturgell
Telecaster wrote:
tsturgell wrote:

Are you saying that all pastors give what's left on Sunday nights? Are you saying those who want Sunday night services or who don't want to forsake the assembling of themselves together are being controlled by a religious spirit? Exactly what are you saying here because I don't get it. No you won't go to hell for not wanting to go on Sunday night, but you will go to hell if you don't hold attending God's house and giving Him his day, not ours, important and in high regard. After all, it is one of the orginial ten . . . .

95% i would imagine. Sabbath is a day of rest. Going to Sunday school then choir practice then morning worship then go home for a few hours then come back for choir rehearsal at 5:00 then have Sunday service until 9:00. That doesn't sound like a day of rest to me. That's just me though. You might think that's just like taking a nap.

Friendly Face
3/31/07 3:24 pm

tsturgell wrote:
Telecaster wrote:
tsturgell wrote:

95% i would imagine. Sabbath is a day of rest. Going to Sunday school then choir practice then morning worship then go home for a few hours then come back for choir rehearsal at 5:00 then have Sunday service until 9:00. That doesn't sound like a day of rest to me. That's just me though. You might think that's just like taking a nap.

No I agree with you, Sunday is definitely a work day for me. But the Sabbath was God's day of rest and our day to honor Him. I'll be the first to say, that many churches beat their people half to death on this day and they have to use what energy they have left to worship God. It's no wonder people don't come as they should in many cases. I'm not blind to the reality.

My point is that Sunday should be our day to honor God, not rest our bodies, not spend time with family, not catch up on whatever. I think most people could stand to fit all of those things into another day of the week if priorities were properly prioritized.
Acts Enthusiast
3/31/07 3:30 pm

Post Re: Sunday night gets leftovers Leigh Teabing
Telecaster wrote:
tsturgell wrote:

You've lost me. What has a Sunday night service got to do with the Ten Commandments?

If you had a meeting on the Sabbath (Saturday) then I could understand how someone who is particularly legalistic could think they must have a meeting on a Sabbath night. But a Sunday?
Friendly Face
3/31/07 3:31 pm

Telecaster wrote:
tsturgell wrote:
Telecaster wrote:
tsturgell wrote:

No I agree with you, Sunday is definitely a work day for me. But the Sabbath was God's day of rest and our day to honor Him. I'll be the first to say, that many churches beat their people half to death on this day and they have to use what energy they have left to worship God. It's no wonder people don't come as they should in many cases. I'm not blind to the reality.

My point is that Sunday should be our day to honor God, not rest our bodies, not spend time with family, not catch up on whatever. I think most people could stand to fit all of those things into another day of the week if priorities were properly prioritized.

But why twice on Sunday?

Friendly Face
3/31/07 3:34 pm

tsturgell wrote:
But why twice on Sunday?

Here's the thing. I'm not so stuck on the, "you have to go to church twice on Sunday" thing. But I am stuck on the, be at church for at least 2 to 3 services per week. I think it's vital for a church to have it's doors open and to have opportunities on more than just a once a week basis to have collective worship and ministry. I can't see having only a Sunday morning service and maybe just one midweek service. By work schedules alone, you're looking at trying to win and disciple people with just a one to two hour Sunday morning service per week. Then you're trusting the people to work on their own during the week to make up the rest. I just don't know how much "shepherding" is taking place there.

One more thing . . . . as far as ministers' pay . . . I don't know why we expect the average person to work 50 to 60 hour work weeks, make it to church for everything and for us ministers to work 30 hours a week (which is usually not hard labor) and preach one big sermon a week. I don't do that. I'm not saying you do Todd, but in general, I think you would agree, a lot of preachers draw a salary from their church but do very little to earn it.
Acts Enthusiast
3/31/07 3:41 pm

Telecaster wrote:
tsturgell wrote:
But why twice on Sunday?

Here's the thing. I'm not so stuck on the, "you have to go to church twice on Sunday" thing. But I am stuck on the, be at church for at least 2 to 3 services per week. I think it's vital for a church to have it's doors open and to have opportunities on more than just a once a week basis to have collective worship and ministry. I can't see having only a Sunday morning service and maybe just one midweek service. By work schedules alone, you're looking at trying to win and disciple people with just a one to two hour Sunday morning service per week. Then you're trusting the people to work on their own during the week to make up the rest. I just don't know how much "shepherding" is taking place there.

One more thing . . . . as far as ministers' pay . . . I don't know why we expect the average person to work 50 to 60 hour work weeks, make it to church for everything and for us ministers to work 30 hours a week (which is usually not hard labor) and preach one big sermon a week. I don't do that. I'm not saying you do Todd, but in general, I think you would agree, a lot of preachers draw a salary from their church but do very little to earn it.

We want people to do three things at the creek, and we believe this will produce a disciple of Christ. 1 Love God, Come to a gathering on Sunday morning. 2 Love people, Get involved in a Lifegroup where you will learn in a small group environment and have community with other believers. 3 Serve the World, serve in some way, usher greeter, children's ministry, student ministry, parking team, landscaping team, arts team.

Now we also provide a Wednesday night service but we encourage people to do the others first and if they can come to this service. I think sometimes pastors think the only way a person is going to grow is to hear him teach three times a week. I think deeper learning happens in small groups.

Friendly Face
3/31/07 3:55 pm

Leigh Teabing wrote:
Telecaster wrote:
tsturgell wrote:

You've lost me. What has a Sunday night service got to do with the Ten Commandments?

If you had a meeting on the Sabbath (Saturday) then I could understand how someone who is particularly legalistic could think they must have a meeting on a Sabbath night. But a Sunday?

I'm not trying to be legalistic. If we wanted to be truthful about it, all of us have the Sabbath day wrong as it technically should be Saturday. The point I'm trying to make is the commandment tells us to keep it holy. I don't know how we keep it holy by forsaking the assembling of ourselves together in place of other things is what I'm saying.
Acts Enthusiast
3/31/07 4:03 pm

Telecaster wrote:
Leigh Teabing wrote:
Telecaster wrote:
tsturgell wrote:

I'm not trying to be legalistic. If we wanted to be truthful about it, all of us have the Sabbath day wrong as it technically should be Saturday. The point I'm trying to make is the commandment tells us to keep it holy. I don't know how we keep it holy by forsaking the assembling of ourselves together in place of other things is what I'm saying.

I don't have it wrong because I don't observe it at all. The Sabbath was a shadow of the reality that came in Christ.

If you want to observe the Sabbath on a different day then why not have it on a Wednesday? Holding a Sunday night service is no more connected with the 10 commandments than Todd's wednesday night service.
Friendly Face
3/31/07 4:08 pm

Leigh Teabing wrote:
I don't have it wrong because I don't observe it at all. The Sabbath was a shadow of the reality that came in Christ.

If you want to observe the Sabbath on a different day then why not have it on a Wednesday? Holding a Sunday night service is no more connected with the 10 commandments than Todd's wednesday night service.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Are you saying the command to honor the Sabbath day and keep it holy no longer applies? The Sabbath day is that day in which God rested and will forever be that day. I would say there's not a huge difference in someone's Wednesday night service and someone's Sunday night service. God can move either way, but on the principle of the Sabbath. It is what it is.
Acts Enthusiast
3/31/07 4:10 pm

Telecaster wrote:
Leigh Teabing wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Are you saying the command to honor the Sabbath day and keep it holy no longer applies? The Sabbath day is that day in which God rested and will forever be that day. I would say there's not a huge difference in someone's Wednesday night service and someone's Sunday night service. God can move either way, but on the principle of the Sabbath. It is what it is.

When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross. Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. (Col.2:13-17)

According to Hebrews 4, the Sabbath rest Christ has provided for us is to be called 'Today'. In other words, we live for him 7 days a week. Every day is holy!
Friendly Face
3/31/07 4:21 pm

Post We cancel P.M. on all WACOG
Holidays.
We started Canceling Sunday Nights on Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day,
Memorial Day, July 4th (Sunday Before). Labor Day and of course pastor's Appreciation Day.
Our people have accepted it well. They appreciate the extra time with family and friends.
The only ones that complain are the very ones that don't come on Sunday Night anyway. So there voice isn't heard here.

We are considering canceling night services during the summer months. But I don't think that will pass.
3/31/07 5:02 pm

Leigh Teabing wrote:
Telecaster wrote:
Leigh Teabing wrote:

When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross. Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. (Col.2:13-17)

According to Hebrews 4, the Sabbath rest Christ has provided for us is to be called 'Today'. In other words, we live for him 7 days a week. Every day is holy!

My long exhaustive point being, yes we do live for God 7 days a week. Yes, everyday is to be holy befoe God. But the precedent for the Sabbath is not that of a particular day as say Seventh Day Adventists would say, but the precendent is that we find a day and dedicate it to God. That's my point. Everyday can be lived for God, but not everyday can be all about God when you're working 9 to 5 and kids have softball games and so forth.
Acts Enthusiast
3/31/07 5:20 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic