Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Cancelling Sunday night services
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Anyone remember? RaceForTheCure
sheepdogandy wrote:
When folks looked forward to Sun night at Church.

Passionate Pentecostal worship.

Singing, shouting, preaching and praying.

No time constraints.

Open ended and full throttle!

Do you remember sometimes when they sometimes didn't get around to preaching on Sunday night because the Holy Spirit was just moving through the congregation? That was awesome!

Do you remember old fashioned Sunday night testimony services where they went from one person to the next and everyone testified? If you were in the youth group you usually had to go to the bathroom right before they got to your pew and unfortunately when you got back they'd already gotten to the pew behind you. Laughing Laughing Cool Laughing Laughing
And I know He watches me
Get to know me and my wonderful family.
Rona
http://www.picasaweb.google.com/facesofwls
Acts Mod
3/22/07 4:18 pm

Post Race... prefontaine
That just happened in our Sunday AM service. Not the testimonies, but we got out of the preaching...hahaha!! It started with one 12 year old boy coming to the alter during worship; before the song was over there were 10-12 young people huddled around him. People began speaking to people about prayer needs, and giving words and songs...I even heard the most anointed prophetic song on a guitar that I have ever heard...It truly felt like David must have been. All this on a Sunday morning, it is wonderful. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/22/07 4:57 pm

Post Re: Sunday evening services... Pastor Gary
ShaunThe wrote:
The way I see it, we should be assembling to keep steady in our faith as we concentrate more of our time on being in the world spreading our faith.

If I may build upon that: We assemble weekly to get better equipped for the WORK of the ministry that takes place outside of the church, and to rejoice/celebrate what the Lord has done and is doing in us, and with us, and through us.
3/22/07 5:17 pm

Post Sunday evening services was scheduled for farmers... I Robot
It is so funny how we a canonized Sunday at 10 AM. Sunday evening vespers at 6 PM.

Why Sunday night?

Why not every night of the week? Why not Friday at 5:30 PM? Right after people get off of a stressful week of work. Have an hour of worship before the football games.

Come on guys!!! You are the church.. let's be the church.
Hey, DOC
3/22/07 5:41 pm

Post Re: Why dont we just.... revuriah
Resource wrote:
Cancel God and let everyone go to Hell

OK, is no PM service that big of a "sin" that we even liken it to "canceling God"? Where does the Bible say "Thou shalt attend every Sunday night service, every Wednesday, and any revival services"? Don't get me wrong, I love attending PM, midweek and revival services. But I just don't see it as sinful or neglecting the "gathering together" that Hebrews 10:25 says not to do. Some people have family time that is tough to find during the workweek. Believe me, I know.

Revuriah's Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jeff-Richard/1226257444

Jeffrey David Richard's Myspace Music
www.myspace.com/547856946
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
3/22/07 6:37 pm

Post multiple sunday AM services anoutsider
How do you folks feel about churches that have multiple Sunday morning services, or some churches that also have a saturday night service? Should they attempt to offer a Sunday night service as well? Friendly Face
3/22/07 6:45 pm

Post Re: multiple sunday AM services shaunbwilson
anoutsider wrote:
How do you folks feel about churches that have multiple Sunday morning services, or some churches that also have a saturday night service? Should they attempt to offer a Sunday night service as well?

Actually, my church has three morning worship services and one Sunday night service that is specifically targeted at 18-35 year olds.

While I don't think Sunday night service is a necessity, this is the service I attend. Services serving different purposes is something I can get behind. But if you're having services serving different purposes, it's important to not feel defeated or upset when folks attend the service that is "aimed" at them and not the others.
3/22/07 7:12 pm

Post Re: Sunday evening services... Poimen
Phil Hoover wrote:
can be very meaningful.

I am NO LONGER sold on the idea that every free moment of my life has to be spent at the church...

At one time I was a STAUNCH supporter of such a plan...but not anymore.

I just about had a nervous breakdown, and did have a very minor heart attack, trying to "fullfill all the church commitments."

If we measure a person's relationship with God by the flawed standard of spending every free minute of their life at the church facilities, then we are a sad, sorry lot, indeed.

If that is the standard, we no better than the Pharisees in the New Testament--whom Jesus regularly criticized and reproved.

I firmly believe in regular, faithful church attendance. I can remember those times when I walked more than ten miles to get to my local church in Huntsville, AL (I was a teenager in Pastor Gary's youth group--he can vouch that it is true).

But it seems like we are more concerned with people "coming to church"--to the facilities, than with them "BEING THE CHURCH" once they leave the sanctuary.

What say ye?

Don't think I could have said it any better, Phil. Wink

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/22/07 7:25 pm

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Stevens Creek to add Sunday P.M. tsturgell
Here at the Creek we have two Sunday morning services 9:30 & 11:15. We have outgrown our facility, so we are adding another service. We could add an eight but for our folks that is not a good time. Only a few people would come that early on Sunday. So, we have decided to add an identical service at 6:00 P.M. I never thought eleven years ago when we did away with Sunday night that we would one day add it back. Church work is funny sometimes.

http://www.toddsturgell.org
http://www.facebook.com/toddsturgell
http://twitter.com/toddsturgell
http://www.stevenscreekchurch.com/
Friendly Face
3/22/07 8:42 pm

Post KevinLloyd
to me, my church...really my family, sunday pm as a separate service doesn't make sense on several levels. if you're doing another identical service that's cool or a sat pm service (i would probably rather come to those anyway!) i'm also a fan of canceling wednesday night as well. here are a few reasons it doesn't make sense:
- it communicates that you have to be at church all the time.
- people are way too busy.
- it leaves very little time for people to connect in small groups. real life change...sustained life change happens when people are in groups. when they sit in circles...not when they sit in rows.
- it's a strain on the staff/volunteers. i can't imagine having to speak twice a week...much less 3 times a week!
- programming suffers.
- you can't say what's most important. if you can say what's most important, then why even do the other environments?

those are just a few from me. focus energy.

now again, if a church is starting an IDENTICAL service or another venue/campus at another time (sat pm or sun pm) that's cool. that's all about growth and reaching people...not having another time for the faithful to come & be "fed".
www.kevinlloydlive.com
www.twitter.com/kevinlloyd
Acts-celerater
3/23/07 8:29 am

Post UNCbluebleeder
Kevin,

No offense, but in my opinion, your excuses are rather lame. You said "People are too busy", WHAT? Whose fault is that, God's, I don't think so. And maybe if more people spent more time at church instead of "running to and fro seeking pleasure", then maybe they would learn priorities as far as God is concerned.
3/23/07 8:37 am

Post SpeaktoNations
Growing up, I always enjoyed Sunday night service. It was a time where the power would fall, more causal atmosphere, yet a great move of God would likely take place. Good music too. No time constraints. I enjoy all of these posts.
I am in a metro area, and Sunday nights just do not work for us. As a matter of fact, there is only 1 church in the state who runs over 1,000 in Sunday AM worship that has a moderately successful Sunday night service with 350+ in attendance. Another church in the state runs 1,000 in Sunday AM worship, insists on having Sunday night service, and has 85 or so there. I don't get it. Our church does NOT have Sunday night service because people vote with their feet. It just makes it seem like we don't know what we are doing when your attendance is less than half of your morning service. Give up tradition and embrace new models of outreach. We have a Monday night prayer meeting, Tuesday night men's fellowship and prayer, Wed night classes w/ choir as well, Thursday night is off, then Friday night is an outreach to the community by offering a place to drop your children off for a mom and dad movie/dinner/date night. Pizza, food, entertainment, all for $8 a child. 7-10pm. Saturday consists of monthly meetings...one week being the senior adults, the next being women's ministry, as well as others. So, we are a busy church who chooses to focus on what we do best, rather than beat tradition. Just a thought!
Friendly Face
3/23/07 8:38 am

Post Re: Sunday evening services... Phil Hoover
Poimen wrote:
Phil Hoover wrote:
can be very meaningful.

I am NO LONGER sold on the idea that every free moment of my life has to be spent at the church...

I just about had a nervous breakdown, and did have a very minor heart attack, trying to "fullfill all the church commitments."

If we measure a person's relationship with God by the flawed standard of spending every free minute of their life at the church facilities, then we are a sad, sorry lot, indeed.

If that is the standard, we no better than the Pharisees in the New Testament--whom Jesus regularly criticized and reproved.

I firmly believe in regular, faithful church attendance. I can remember those times when I walked more than ten miles to get to my local church in Huntsville, AL (I was a teenager in Pastor Gary's youth group--he can vouch that it is true).

But it seems like we are more concerned with people "coming to church"--to the facilities, than with them "BEING THE CHURCH" once they leave the sanctuary.

What say ye?

I'm no condemning anyone who really loves the Sunday Evening service and wants to always be there.

But I will not live under the condemnation (anymore, that is) of those who think I have to be at every meeting the church has during the week. I get to as many as I possibly can.

Here in Chicago, I do like the Sunday evening meeting at Moody Church...however, my commute is about an hour each way (I use public Transportation), and when I get home, it's time for bed already...I have to be up and out of my place not later than 6:30 on Monday mornings.

It doesn't always work for me.

Phil Hoover
Chicago

www.philhoover-chicago.blogspot.com
Acts-pert Poster
3/23/07 8:46 am

Post Re: Sunday evening services... roughridercog
Phil Hoover wrote:
Poimen wrote:
Phil Hoover wrote:
can be very meaningful.

What say ye?

I'm no condemning anyone who really loves the Sunday Evening service and wants to always be there.

But I will not live under the condemnation (anymore, that is) of those who think I have to be at every meeting the church has during the week. I get to as many as I possibly can.

Here in Chicago, I do like the Sunday evening meeting at Moody Church...however, my commute is about an hour each way (I use public Transportation), and when I get home, it's time for bed already...I have to be up and out of my place not later than 6:30 on Monday mornings.

It doesn't always work for me.

Phil Hoover
Chicago

Public transportation? An hour each way?
Wierd Al wrote a song with you in mind, Phil. It's sung to the tune of "Another One Bites the Dust"

Another One Rides The Bus
by Al Yankovic

Lyrics:

Ridin' in a bus down the boulevard
And the place was pretty packed
Couldn't find a seat so I had to stand
With the perverts in the back
It was smellin' like a locker room
There was junk all over the floor
We're already packed in like sardines
But we're stoppin' to pick up more
Look out

Another one rides the bus
And another comes on
And another comes on
Hey
He's gonna sit by you

There's a suitcase pokin' me in the ribs
There's an elbow in my ear
There's a smelly old bum standin' next to me
Hasn't showered in a year
Well, I think I'm missin' a contact lens
I think my wallet's gone
And I think this bus is stoppin' again
To let a couple more freaks get on
Look out

And another comes on
And another comes on
Hey
He's gonna sit by you

Yeah

Another one rides the bus, ow
Another one rides the bus, hey, hey
Another one rides the bus, hey

The window doesn't open, and the fan is broke
And my face is turnin' blue
I haven't been in a crowd like this
Since I went to see The Who
Well, I should've got off a couple miles ago
But I couldn't get to the door
There isn't any room for me to breathe
Now we're gonna pick up more, yeah

And another comes on
And another comes on
Hey
He's gonna sit by you

No
No
Huh?
Yeah
Yeah

3/23/07 8:53 am

Post KevinLloyd
UNCbluebleeder wrote:
Kevin,

No offense, but in my opinion, your excuses are rather lame. You said "People are too busy", WHAT? Whose fault is that, God's, I don't think so. And maybe if more people spent more time at church instead of "running to and fro seeking pleasure", then maybe they would learn priorities as far as God is concerned.

so it's lame to have a busy work schedule, then have kids playing sports, then need to help them w/ homework, and then try to squeeze in some family time? well, then i'm lame. i think that if we hold onto the whole idea of "spending more time @ church" idea...we're never going to reach our generation. this isn't the 50's anymore...people are shorter on time. it may there fault, but it's the way it is.

i'm busy. if i attended church instead of led one...i would only go on sunday am, i would be involved in a small group and i would serve. i believe that God honors us making time for him & he honors us making time for our families. to me, we're idiots & communicate a paradox by saying, "family is the most important thing...spend time w/ them...etc. but be sure and be here tonight for our service. and then be here on monday for prayer. and then come on wednesday. and then we've got an event this weekend we need you at. but be sure and spend time w/ your family!"
www.kevinlloydlive.com
www.twitter.com/kevinlloyd
Acts-celerater
3/23/07 9:29 am

Post No Sunday nights here EdSturgill
We have done away with our Sunday nights, we had less then a quarter of our people showing up(we are a small church to begin with). We plan on starting small groups meetings on Sunday nights. Right now our core group of leaders are reading "Simple Church", we plan to take a more simplified approach and lose some of the traditional ways... Friendly Face
3/23/07 1:04 pm

Post I've Done Away With Sunday Nights BV COG
And this summer, there's a good chance that Wednesday nights will stop in May and start again in September.

As leaders in the church we must be responsible for the finances of the church and it makes NO sense to have services that cost the church more then they can bring in. Yes, God will provide, but He also gives us common sense too.

Whatever we have on Sunday morning, we would have less than 20% there on Sunday night, especially in the summer.

Wednesday nights attendence goes down by 50% as soon as the temps go up again and our air units are shot and we just can't afford new ones right now. If we have services and the units go out, no one will come because it's too hot and no income; if we don't have services, air units run less but no income to purchase new ones.

Its a "wait and see" type of thing right now but Sunday nights will not come back.

Acts-dicted
3/23/07 2:48 pm

Post Here's an idea... Phil Hoover
Let's stop growling and grumbling and whining and guilt-tripping about how we "do church" or "have church"

And let's start BEING THE CHURCH.

www.philhoover-chicago.blogspot.com
Acts-pert Poster
3/24/07 9:27 am

Post Re: Here's the hoot. soupy1
sheepdogandy wrote:
We hold services on Sun evenings.

Having said that, Sun AM is now the most powerful service.

We have not changed anything.

It has just turned out that way.

Thats what has happened in my church....my only thought is that when you actually dont have an evening service anymore on sunday its hard to start back up if you have a change of heart. For so many years we went on wednesdays,sun morning and evening, and that was ok....we didnt know any better. Times have changed and now everybody in house is now working on saturdays and not having service on sunday evening has been kinda nice. But sometimes I feel a little "slimy" for not going. Rolling Eyes
3/29/07 11:47 pm

Post We did Scooter
We did it a few years ago. I think it has been one of the best moves that we have made.

We promoted localized cell groups and from that we have gained in our Sun. am attendance.

Another point is the home seems to attract more first time visitors than the Sun. eve. service did. Maybe its more personable.

It too helps in the reduction of burn out.

We have grown to a point where we may begin specialized services on Sun. eve. such as women's, men's, worship, youth, business, etc. on alternating Sundays.
Acts Enthusiast
3/30/07 6:36 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic