Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Is the traditional altar call outdated?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Blessed, where do you believe Peter preached? Porpoise Driven Neptune
BlessedinMsTn wrote:
You said that you could go on about instances of people being saved in the New Testament church . . .I call you to that challenge....

The people who were saved on the Day of Pentecost prove my point exactly,,, where were they saved???? OUTSIDE the church setting, the local church assembly, in the streets,, which is exactly what I am saying . . . .In NO local assembly in the NT do you find sinners being saved but rather you find believers being taught the Word of God . . . . . So go ahead and go on

Blessed, in a thread on the old board recently you argued very loudly (CAPITAL LETTERS ALL THE WAY) that the 120 believers did not go out into the street on the Day of Pentecost but rather that everything recorded in Acts 2, including Peter's sermon, occurred in the Upper Room.

Now you seem to be saying the opposite. You seem to switch your interpretation of Scripture to suit whatever you are arguing at any given moment. Or did Peter preach in the Upper Room and then everyone ran outside to get saved?
Acts-celerater
2/11/06 3:15 am

Post The Church did not ........ sheepdogandy
possess a building for corporate worship until the third century.

Persecution remember?

1 Cor 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
1 Cor 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
1 Cor 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1 Cor 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
1 Cor 1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/11/06 9:37 am

Post PorPoise, you and I both know that the Upper Room BlessedinMsTn
was not a church, it was not even a place where instruction was going on until the Holy Spirit came and then Peter preached only ONE sermon that we have record of . . . . Now, according to the scripture these many people ASSEMBLED, so one can only imagine that they assembled either at or close to the upper room where the language barrier had been broken.

However, later on we see those same 120 telling the wonderful works of God in foreign languages OUTSIDE of the upper room,,,,,,
2/11/06 11:34 am

Post SheepGoady: then please tell me who Paul was speaking to BlessedinMsTn
When he was INSTRUCTING the saints in their assembling together? When he told the women to be silent because they were sitting in the balcony and could not understand him,, he told them men who according to Josephus works always sat on the ground level to teach their wives at home . . . ..I'm sorry but this sounds like some Kind of assembling place to me.. When John the Revelator wrote to the seven churches in that same generation who was he writing to?

Now, the scriptures you have posted prove nothing to the contrary of what I am saying:

Of course our preaching saves the lost,, but who is a preacher????? EVERY CHRISTIAN,,,, every one is called to preach to the lost...... NOT THE FIVE FOLD MINISTRY, they are called to train the church HOW TO PREACH to the LOST. . . SO, I fail to see how your scriptures haven disproven the God given instructions to the Apostles, Prophets, Evangelist, Teachers and Pastors . . . . .

You know that Paul made many missionary journeys to plant churches, to start new churches...... only then do we find him speaking to the unbelievers about Christ and trying to convince them,,, However, in the established churches,, he ALWAYS preached doctrine to them,,
2/11/06 11:40 am

Post Sheepdog... Lsfpastor
Sanctification is the process of death daily. Salvation is the covering of sins by the blood.

But that is just my 2 cents Cool

Now we can have a discussion...

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he isn't, and a sense of humor to console him for what he is."
Acts-celerater
2/11/06 11:45 am

Post Two thousand years of..... sheepdogandy
church history must count for something.

As soon as the Church could assemble without fear of disruption.

They assembled and preached.

I agree with and teach my folks to be personal witnesses of the gospel.

Yet, when I've got lost folks in the congregation.

I'm a preachin salvation.

I also distinguish between salvation, sanctification and the baptism in the Holy Ghost.

Full service beloved, full service.

www.spwc.church
2/11/06 4:16 pm

Post Re: Two thousand years of..... Pastor Gary
sheepdogandy wrote:
I also distinguish between salvation, sanctification and the baptism in the Holy Ghost.

Full service beloved, full service.

Can you (or anyone) provide for me a passage of scripture that clearly defines a point at which anyone in the New Testatment "got sanctified"?

I can show you verses where people got saved/converted/born again, and verses where people were filled with the Spirit, but I have trouble finding any verse where "and lo, he was sanctified" (or the like) -- the second definite work doctrine hangs on our ability to support it by scripture, not by logic, or by extrapolating from between the lines.

Scriptures anyone?
2/11/06 5:40 pm

Post You must first define sanctification! Lsfpastor
Alot of this disscussion will hing on that point.
Sanctification
SANCTIFICA'TION, n. [See Sanctify.]

1. The act of making holy. In an evangelical sense, the act of God's grace by which the affections of men are purified or alienated from sin and the world, and exalted to a supreme love to God.

God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation, through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth. 2 Th 2. 1 Pet 1.

2. The act of consecrating or of setting apart for a sacred purpose; consecration.
Sanctify
SANC'TIFY, v.t. [Low L. sanctifico; from sanctus, holy, and facio, to make.]

1. In a general sense, to cleanse, purify or make holy.

2. To separate, set apart or appoint to a holy, sacred or religious use.

God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it. Gen 2.

So under the Jewish dispensation, to sanctify the altar, the temple, the priests, &c.

3. To purify; to prepare for divine service, and for partaking of holy things. Exo 19.

4. To separate, ordain and appoint to the work of redemption and the government of the church. John 10.

5. To cleanse from corruption; to purify from sin; to make holy be detaching the affections from the world and its defilements, and exalting them to a supreme love to God.

Sanctify them through thy truth; thy word is truth.

John 17. Eph 5.

6. To make the means of holiness; to render productive of holiness or piety.

Those judgments of God are the more welcome, as a means which his mercy hath sanctified so to me, as to make me repent of that unjust act.

7. To make free from guilt.

That holy man amaz'd at what he saw, made haste to sanctify the bliss by law.

8. To secure from violation.

Truth guards the poet, sanctifies the line.

To sanctify God, to praise and celebrate him as a holy being; to acknowledge and honor his holy majesty, and to reverence his character and laws. Isa 8.

God sanctifies himself or his name, by vindicating his honor from the reproaches of the wicked, and manifesting his glory. Ezek 36.

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he isn't, and a sense of humor to console him for what he is."
Acts-celerater
2/11/06 7:19 pm

Post Can't add...... sheepdogandy
anything to that.

www.spwc.church
2/11/06 9:15 pm

Post Re: Is the traditional altar call outdated? Memory03
sounds like a way to justify the lack of results in ones altars...

Real Men get their haircut in a Barber Shop... The rest go to beauty parlors...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/11/06 9:49 pm

Post Re: Is the traditional altar call outdated? DHDRabbi
I like traditional altar calls, however, where is the scripture? I don't know how Jesus got people saved without an organ playing "Just as I Am."
The scriptures say Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ....... and Ye must be born again. but where is the scripture concerning an altar call? Don't misunderstand me, I love the traditional altar call, but if folks do it different, don't worry about it if folks are being saved.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/11/06 10:04 pm

Post Re: Is the traditional altar call outdated? ActsBishop
notwanghere wrote:
It's not outdated in my Church!

I agree with you, our altars are always effective, I believe anytime anyone bends a knee to pray is an effective and important time.
“Even now, Jesus has a miracle for you! Even now, He’s a shelter from the storm you’re going through! DON’T GIVE UP, DON’T BE DISCOURAGED, DON’T EVEN BE AFRAID, FOR THE LORD YOUR GOD IS HERE RIGHT NOW, TO MAKE A WAY!”
Acts Enthusiast
2/11/06 11:53 pm

Post oh, those old fashioned tradition bound apostles .. Rafael D Martinez
Acts 2:40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

Acts 8:14-17 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

Oy, those old fashioned, irrelevant, old school, past paradigmal, tradition bound old apostles .. what could they possibly teach us? How truly emancipated we are.

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
2/13/06 7:53 pm

Post Rafael, your post does not refute the point BlessedinMsTn
Again as I have stated,, this scripture has nothing to do with the church setting where the believers met on the Lords day and searched the scriptures,,, this was what we might call a crusade or an outdoor event.. this was not in the typical setting of the believers meetings in the New Testaments,, the established churches at Corinth and Rome and Antioch and Syria . . . . .this was an evangelistic thrust,, this was not the church setting
2/13/06 9:38 pm

Post Re: Rafael, your post does not refute the point Rafael D Martinez
[quote="BlessedinMsTn"]Again as I have stated,, this scripture has nothing to do with the church setting where the believers met on the Lords day and searched the scriptures,,, this was what we might call a crusade or an outdoor event.. this was not in the typical setting of the believers meetings in the New Testaments,, the established churches at Corinth and Rome and Antioch and Syria . . . . .this was an evangelistic thrust,, this was not the church setting[/quote]

What "point" am I trying to refute here? You seem to feel that you have to make this clear to me and I'm just sitting here scratching my bald pate over that .. Your narrow view of what a "church setting" is misses the "point" completely.

If we have to make a "point", it is simply this: the apostles DID engage in exhortation of those they preached to at the height of their ministry of the word to step forward and repent/receive from God. A definite time of personal decision and action was called upon by the apostles to respond to God's Word. What difference does it make if it was outside or inside an upper room, in the countryside of a Palestinian land, in a church or at a work place break table? Jerusalem needed to hear the Gospel. Samaria received the Word and needed the power of the Spirit. The "altar call" is a sacred time in which people are called upon to make a public decision to act upon what they hear of God's Word, a time in which men and women of God have divine mandate to legitimately exhort them to do so, the same way the apostles did. What does any "point" have to do with that?

At South Cleveland, we have had quite consistently some of the most powerful altar services I think I've ever seen in my whole life. How greatly humbled we are to the wonderful things God has graciously bestowed upon us! God's Word is being acted upon as Pastor Moody has preached it .. at times, God Himself by the Spirit has worked upon many and broken out across our church in a glorious and completely spontaneous way. This past Sunday, God's Spirit chose the latter.

Pastor Moody "with many words" exhorted many to step forward into the rivers of God's Spirit that He was sending that moment. For a whole hour, we had 4 prayer lines formed in the church and I joined in with the other elders present to help pray for the many who were encouraged to receive from God as pastor called on them to do so.

God's Spirit quickened me and I prayed and prophesied as I ministered: I know one young man who was baptized in the Spirit. None of this was anything I planned to do that morning (or any other morning, thank you)- in fact, I was quite utterly exhausted after returning from the EMNR conference the night before. But His power was upon us all, and we ministered to one another. This glorious outpouring only confirms again that there is indeed a place for the altar call in today - not only because of our heritage, but because it is a Biblical season of ministry.

I don't understand why, Blessed, for you this is a persistent issue about this being in or out of a church setting. What difference does it make to the Spirit who blows wherever He wills? Those who hunger and thirst for righteousness are not going to be left unfilled. What do you do in your church? Preach fire down from heaven and at the conclusion of your church then tell everyone to go home?

agape

rafael

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
2/13/06 10:28 pm

Post I think Raphael, there has been a misunderstanding BlessedinMsTn
either on your part or mine, for the record I will express my point of view. Please understand in no way was I demeaning the altar call since we have one in every service, so of course that's not what I'm saying. I started a diologue on this thread earlier concerning who the altar is and is not intended for.. I was simply expressing that the church is not the "intended nor perfect" place for sinners to be saved. Thus the five fold ministry is not called to preach to the sinner but according to Ephesians they are called to perfect and equip the saints... inside of the church, the altar call is for the saints and their encouragement, their equipping and their maturing,, IN THE ALTARS through the ministry of the Word . . .I was simply stating that in the NT you see NONE of the church settings,, (the established church) were ever used for the salvation of sinners,, this was done outside of the church,,,,,,, and if we still went by this practice our church services would be producing more equipped, more encouraged and more mature saints who could then go OUT and do the WORK OF THE MINISTRY,, which is the preaching of the gospel, praying for the sick,, it was never intended for the five fold ministry to do the work of the ministry,,,,,, Satan has devised a plan to cause a Pastor to spend and entire service trying to reach sinners when he is failing to do what he is called to do,,, this was my point
2/13/06 10:38 pm

Post Dr Trubble
If most churches feel the altar call is outdated then they are only following what the "Post Christian Era" dictates.

Political Correctness has replaced "Thus Saith The LORD."
(but... political correctness is nothing less and nothing more than "The spirit of anti-christ" working in civilian clothing.)

If the altar call is outdated, then so is the altar my good friends.

In a corporate setting, how else can there be a general appeal to those who feel the need to pray, as a result from the message preached?

I has spoke!
10/15/06 8:25 pm

Post aaaaaaaaaaaaamen Rafael D Martinez
Dr Trubble wrote:
If most churches feel the altar call is outdated then they are only following what the "Post Christian Era" dictates.

Political Correctness has replaced "Thus Saith The LORD."
(but... political correctness is nothing less and nothing more than "The spirit of anti-christ" working in civilian clothing.)

If the altar call is outdated, then so is the altar my good friends.

In a corporate setting, how else can there be a general appeal to those who feel the need to pray, as a result from the message preached?

I has spoke!

And you is right!

Acts-dicted
11/12/06 9:17 am

Post Re: I call it...... BamaKid
Normally what I do is give an opportunity for any one with a need, regardless if it Spiritually, Physically, Financially, or Emotionally to come and pray[/b][/b].
sheepdogandy wrote:
Time to respond to the Word.

Everybody is encouraged to come to the altar and pray.

Those who are Christians and have no pressing needs are encouraged to come and pray for whomever the Holy Ghost is speaking to.

Especially on Sun AM I try to encourage those who are lost or backslidden to "come with them" as the saints come to pray.
11/24/06 2:00 pm

Post " The Alter Never Closes" Linda Collins Riley
[b][size=24][/size]
I sing traveling all over with a group, we sing a song that says " THE ALTER NEVER CLOSES" we never fail to give an alter call. My husband went to church on a Mothers Day Sunday, nearly 50 years ago, and he went to get saved, but the pastor didnt give and alter call, he started to leave, and turned around and went back in and ask could he get saved. I would hate to think that some one would have to ask if they could get saved becouse the pastor was in too big a hurry to get to Shoneys, God help us, I would not attend a church that didnt care enough about sinners to give and alter call, we have Sunday School to train christians, that is some churches still do, I guess if you don't have Sunday school your gonna have to train them during the time you normally would have alter call right!!!!!!![/b]
Friendly Face
9/11/07 1:38 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic