Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

Have you ever tried Native American food?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Cojak
My wife uses Olive Oil now vs bacon grease, but of course it isn't the same. I use the Olive Oil and throw in a spoon full of 'Smart Balance' (a butter substitute) but I don't know what it is made from. (OUCH) and a shot of Ms Dash! It comes close to BAcon grease. HA!

We just started using Olive Oil to cook with in the past 10 years, I did not know people ate that stuff. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/5/16 8:11 pm

Post Da Sheik
I am Cherokee and I love all kinds of foods. My favorite is actually Mexican lol Acts Enthusiast
1/5/16 8:53 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
I've got to ask my wife to get some green beans or pole beans on the way to China town. I haven't had any good southern style green beans in a long time. My wife is doing the Daniel fast thing. Does anyone know how to cook up green beans so that they taste like they have bacon grease in them without using any animal products? The beans would be good for her for protein, but I don't know if I can satisfy my craving without the extra flavor. I suppose we could do two batches.

She will get hardly any protein from green beans or pole beans unless there are a lot of dried "shellys" in there with them. For protein, she will need things like dried beans (small red beans, pinto beans, lentils, black beans, navy beans, etc.) combined with a grain (such as rice) to complete the protein. Quinoa is one of the rare things in the plant world that is a complete protein by itself.
I don't know about replicating a bacon flavor without real bacon, but you could use refined coconut oil for grease and then add a smoky flavor by adding a chipotle sauce or smoked peppers and have a tasty dish.
Or, you could skip the smoke flavor and use the coconut oil for grease and toss in slivered almonds for a little protein. Or, toss in a few mushrooms.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/5/16 9:38 pm

Post diakoneo
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

One particular native plant that I've only had opportunity to eat once but which I would LOVE to eat again is poke sallet (pokeweed). Absolutely the best greens I ever have tasted. From what I know, the Indians didn't eat pokeweed, but mainly just used the poke berries as dye. If pokeweed is not picked early in the spring and prepared correctly, it can be poisonous, which may be why the Indians weren't too keen on eating it.

I have some "salat" growing in the back yard. Cook it with bacon grease and mix with scrambled eggs. Gooood Smile
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/5/16 9:58 pm

Post bonnie knox
Poke is a pretty nutritious green, but by the time you changed the water 3 times, I don't know how much of the nutrition is left. I've cooked it before.
The berries of it are one of those "inedibles" that my older brother ate (just a couple of berries, though). I got quite a bit of it that wants to come up on my property because I left the berries of a plant or two to mature for the mockingbirds to eat. If a mockingbird eats a poke berry then poops on the clothes on the clothesline, you will find out why the berries make such a good dye!
Daddy said his mother used to pickle the young shoots of pokeweed. I'm thinking that would have sort of been a texture like asparagus.
Maybe the Native Americans didn't bother with it because it didn't have enough calories. I think they did use things like horse chestnuts (buckeyes) that had to be leached to remove the toxins. The white man probably upped the calorie content with hog grease.

Being Church of God, I probably shouldn't say it, but muscadines make a wine par excellence (so I'm told, lol). Once a man dialed my phone number by mistake and left this message. (I know it's not PC to insinuate I could tell his ethnicity by his voice, but if you grew up in these parts, you know what I mean: he was a senior African American.) "I'll be on up there in a little while to make some a that wine."

Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Muscadines are pretty good, but I agree they are much better when made into a jelly.

One particular native plant that I've only had opportunity to eat once but which I would LOVE to eat again is poke sallet (pokeweed). Absolutely the best greens I ever have tasted. From what I know, the Indians didn't eat pokeweed, but mainly just used the poke berries as dye. If pokeweed is not picked early in the spring and prepared correctly, it can be poisonous, which may be why the Indians weren't too keen on eating it.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/5/16 9:59 pm

Post Link
Da Sheik wrote:
I am Cherokee and I love all kinds of foods. My favorite is actually Mexican lol

Are you from the eastern area where the Cherokee originally lived or out west where they shipped them? How much does Cherokee home cooking differ from home cooking in the southeast? Do the Cherokee cook corn, cornbread, beans, and squash he same way?
1/5/16 10:33 pm

Post Link
diakoneo wrote:

I have some "salat" growing in the back yard. Cook it with bacon grease and mix with scrambled eggs. Gooood Smile

My dad said he remembered eating 'salat', not salad, with bacon grease over it growing up in Georgia.
1/5/16 10:35 pm

Post Link
bonnie knox wrote:

She will get hardly any protein from green beans or pole beans unless there are a lot of dried "shellys" in there with them. For protein, she will need things like dried beans (small red beans, pinto beans, lentils, black beans, navy beans, etc.) combined with a grain (such as rice) to complete the protein. Quinoa is one of the rare things in the plant world that is a complete protein by itself.
I don't know about replicating a bacon flavor without real bacon, but you could use refined coconut oil for grease and then add a smoky flavor by adding a chipotle sauce or smoked peppers and have a tasty dish.
Or, you could skip the smoke flavor and use the coconut oil for grease and toss in slivered almonds for a little protein. Or, toss in a few mushrooms.

What are 'shellys'? My wife is from Indonesia, and I don't think she'll subsist on green beans and corn during the Daniel fast like southerners. She's eating eggs and fried Indonesian-style tofu. We had some tempe, too over the holiday break, (that's a fermented cracked soy bean 'cake'--not sweet) but the tempe in the US is kind of bland and a bit stale, not nearly as good as the stuff in Indonesia. Tofu is actually pretty good in Asian cuisine, when it's made to be tofu and not some kind of weird fake meat. White people don't usually cook good tofu. Smile I even had a Chinese sweet tofu dessert which was pretty good. Indonesians also have some kind of leftover product from making tempe or tofu that they grow a fungus in that's delicious, but dangerous if not done right. It may sound gross but blue cheese is made with fungus. It's like the blue cheese of soy products. We can't get some of that stuff over here, though.

I hear soy is complete protein. Is that right? I didn't know that about quinoa. That that South American crop from Andes right?

My mom called today. I asked her about green beans without pork and she said she cooked them really well done with olive oil and salt and they were all right. So I was able to scrounge around and find a can of green beans. I'd been holding out for fresh ones. I cooked some up with salt and olive oil and they were okay, not as good as fresh green beans from my grandmother's garden cooked with bacon grease for hours simmering on a wood stove on the back porch, but they were okay.
1/5/16 10:50 pm

Post bonnie knox
The shellys are the green beans that mature and have to be shelled out.
It is good to have a few of those mixed in with the green beans. I think sometimes it might have happened by accident--a bean that got missed and got too big to be snapped. There used to be a brand that sold the canned beans with shellys, but the last time I bought it, they had some sort of pinto bean instead of the shelly. I felt duped and betrayed.

Okay, if she's eating eggs, well, what can I say. That was not on our list of allowed foods, lol, though one young lady at our church got caught eating a boiled egg one Sunday morning the first year our church did this diet. Later when I met her in the grocery store, she mentioned how she and her husband had been turned off by the legalism of the way the Daniel Fast was presented at our church. Bless her heart, she probably didn't have enough meat on her bones to make it 3 weeks without an egg. Eggs are an excellent source of protein. Oh, and that reminds me. One year the pastor stayed up till midnight on the last day of the fast, then went to the kitchen and boiled himself some eggs. The human body is incapable of making hormones without cholesterol, which is probably why it worked out for Daniel and the other eunuchs to go on that vegetarian diet (if they had indeed just been made eunuchs).
Yes, tofu is a good source of protein. When I've eaten tofu, I experienced a lot of lower GI distress, and I don't just mean what one would expect with eating dried beans.

Well, I cooked purple hull peas with brown rice last night and small red beans with brown rice tonight. Maybe it will be crowder peas tomorrow.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/5/16 11:23 pm

Post Link
I though green beans and corn were complete protein. Does the southern-style cooking process break down the amino acids?

The Manado people in Indonesia make a delicious bean soup called brenebon, Dutch for 'brown bean.' It's made from red beans and pork, but they really spice it with the Indonesian spices that the Dutch conquered those islands for. If you get it in Indonesia, the spices may really be fresh, too. I never cared much for kidney beans or red beans the simple way they'd been prepared when I was growing up, but these are delicious.

I've seen varieties of it for Muslims with chicken. If the cook it with the bones, that could be good. But I haven't seen vegetarian brenebon with the spices in it. That could be good. My wife has had success with using a kind of mushroom broth to substitute for chicken broth in vegetarian dishes like Padang cabbage curry.
1/6/16 2:37 am

Post Link
The author if this book said she'd cook beans with buffalo fat or bone grease.

https://books.google.com/books?id=lQMFMDGvoccC&pg=PA86&lpg=PA86&dq=native+american+green+beans+with+fat&source=bl&ots=C6JmxDVaB0&sig=dMrLE0lccUIC4vEZ-EelNQ4kzWo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwit3Pnl2qDKAhUFdz4KHfnKDwkQ6AEIIzAB#v=onepage&q=native%20american%20green%20beans%20with%20fat&f=false

I looked her tribe up and that was from North Dakota. I don't think they had buffalo in the southeast. They'd have bumped into all the trees when they ran. The book has a lot of gardening/argriculture details in it and some detail recipes.

Quote:
Fresh green beans were snapped and strung with a needle and thread. Dried in the rafters of the house, these strings of beans were called "leather-britches" by Europeans. They were put into water and reconstituted by lengthy cooking with a bit of fat or meat added for flavor—perhaps the origin of the southern custom of overcooked green beans.
from http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-2150#sthash.gr8iw30m.dpuf

Southerners may have just substituted dear or bear meat or fat with pork.

It's funny, I remember meeting the author of a source the article sights, Charles Hudson, back when he was alive and lectured at UGA. Charles Hudson was using the narratives of De Soto's route to suggest an alternative route for the exploration.

I had a co-worker right when I graduated from UGA who was studying history or anthropology on this topic at UGA as a grad student and he thought his uncle's farm in Morganton, NC might have been a Spanish fort. They were going to do an ultrasonic test and see if there were Spanish instead of English nails. I just did a little search online that seemed to confirm that this was the case.
1/10/16 9:41 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic