Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Social conservatives almost gave us Gore 2000
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Social conservatives almost gave us Gore 2000 Resident Skeptic
Ah, those "principled conservative voters".

I am also a social conservative. But the story of Bush's hidden DWI didn't suppress my desire to see Al Gore defeated.

Quote:
The 2000 campaign featured a November curveball: Word surfaced five days before the election that GOP nominee George W. Bush had been arrested on a misdemeanor drunken driving charge in 1976. Republicans said the release of 24-year-old information at such a time was a Democratic dirty trick, and a Democratic activist acknowledged he had tipped off reporters.

Bush won anyway, but many of his advisers still think the news depressed turnout among social conservatives to make the race much closer than it would have been otherwise, says Dan Schnur, director of the University of Southern California's political institute and a veteran of John McCain's 2000 presidential campaign.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/92908aff3acd4eaeb77684ec39d85b5d/what-if-theres-still-time-drama-election-day
9/5/16 11:02 am

Post Cojak
Funny how that goes, years and years later and something has a big impact. Funny how Bro Barry's picture laid back, cool and smoking POT didn't keep him OUT of the white house though.

It is all according to who you are and how the Press presents it.

That probably doesn't go along with the OP, but that is how I saw it.

Have a great Labor Day!
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/5/16 1:17 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Cojak wrote:
Funny how that goes, years and years later and something has a big impact. Funny how Bro Barry's picture laid back, cool and smoking POT didn't keep him OUT of the white house though.

Have a great Labor Day!

I agree with it. there is still a significant number of voters who are waiting fro the press to tell them what to be offended about.
9/5/16 6:48 pm

Post diakoneo
If Gore would have won in 2000, I wonder if we would have had 8 of the worst years in American history. I am of course speaking of the last 8.

Would Obamacare would have ever happened?

If we Trump or Hillary would even be a question?

I voted for W twice, but now I wonder. What if? I have always been grateful that Gore was not president on 9/11, but what if??? And now more importantly what next?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
9/5/16 7:58 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Cojak wrote:

Have a great Labor Day!

I cant wait for this!

"Julian Assange Vows Huge Wikileaks Dump on Hillary, Just Before the Debates"

http://www.smobserved.com/story/2016/09/04/politics/julian-assange-vows-huge-wikileaks-dump-on-hillary-just-before-the-debates/1833.html
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/5/16 8:47 pm

Post Cojak
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Cojak wrote:

Have a great Labor Day!

I cant wait for this!

"Julian Assange Vows Huge Wikileaks Dump on Hillary, Just Before the Debates"

http://www.smobserved.com/story/2016/09/04/politics/julian-assange-vows-huge-wikileaks-dump-on-hillary-just-before-the-debates/1833.html

I hope this is not just smoke. It would be nice if there was some actual fire in the ones to be leaked. We've seen a lot of smoke but so far Most has dissipated. A little has penetrated the teflon. T'would be nice if some of these e-mails jogged a memory to replace the "I do not recall......etc"

So far I am amazed at how dumb she was about handling classified info. (smile) Most e-3's in the military and ALL the pages in congress know that. I sorta thought someone who had been a Senator would know about classified. Amazing those "I don't recall." Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/5/16 10:14 pm

Post UncleJD
Gore nearly won because he was riding the coattails of the most successful Democrat President in my lifetime (and probably the second best "Republican" of my lifetime as well if you look at his conservative fiscal record), Bill Clinton. The same reason the worst Republican president of my lifetime, GWHB, won his single-term because he happened to be the VP of the greatest.

W gave his testimony of his conversion and the influence of Laura in his life and the vast majority of conservatives accepted that. The media was the only ones who cared about his issues from long before, he'd been stable for many years before running for POTUS
9/6/16 10:18 am

Post Resident Skeptic
UncleJD wrote:
Gore nearly won because he was riding the coattails of the most successful Democrat President in my lifetime (and probably the second best "Republican" of my lifetime as well if you look at his conservative fiscal record), Bill Clinton. The same reason the worst Republican president of my lifetime, GWHB, won his single-term because he happened to be the VP of the greatest.

W gave his testimony of his conversion and the influence of Laura in his life and the vast majority of conservatives accepted that. The media was the only ones who cared about his issues from long before, he'd been stable for many years before running for POTUS

In spite of his testimony, the timing of his DUI revelation did dampen the spirits of enough socially conservative voters that thought Bush had been less than forthcoming about an embarrassing aspect of his past. This perception, justified or not, and according to Bush aides, did almost hand the election to Gore. So had Gore prevailed, the blame would lie with the same folk who now comprise the "NEVER TRUMP" crowd of socially conservative voters who are determined to hand this election to Hillary.
9/6/16 10:50 am

Post UncleJD
Resident Skeptic wrote:
UncleJD wrote:

In spite of his testimony, the timing of his DUI revelation did dampen the spirits of enough socially conservative voters that thought Bush had been less than forthcoming about an embarrassing aspect of his past. This perception, justified or not, and according to Bush aides, did almost hand the election to Gore. So had Gore prevailed, the blame would lie with the same folk who now comprise the "NEVER TRUMP" crowd of socially conservative voters who are determined to hand this election to Hillary.

Nope, I gladly voted for GWB, I will never "gladly" vote for Trump. Your linking of the two is a stretch. Its also based on a fallacy that the "never Trump" crowd is solely interested in the man's past. That is not true. His past is only a part of the problem. The Trump apologists miss the boat when they defend Trump from a solely moral standpoint, there is SO much more to this and it is not so easy to address (so they go for the easy stuff)
9/6/16 11:03 am

Post c6thplayer1
Quote:
the blame would lie with the same folk who now comprise the "NEVER TRUMP" crowd of socially conservative voters who are determined to hand this election to Hillary.

Completely 100% wrong Res! We are no way determined to hand the election to Hillary. We are determined to keep this slug out of the white house. LEt the chips fall where they may. If hillary gets in we will just have to suffer 4 more years of the same garbage. The world wont end , it will just extend the uncomfort level for us. If your looking for blame then look to the Republican party for allowing this dud to be on their ticket.
9/6/16 11:18 am

Post Eddie Robbins
and......whatever happened to Tipper? Acts-pert Poster
9/6/16 11:22 am

Post Patrick Harris
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Quote:
the blame would lie with the same folk who now comprise the "NEVER TRUMP" crowd of socially conservative voters who are determined to hand this election to Hillary.

Completely 100% wrong Res! We are no way determined to hand the election to Hillary. We are determined to keep this slug out of the white house. LEt the chips fall where they may. If hillary gets in we will just have to suffer 4 more years of the same garbage. The world wont end , it will just extend the uncomfort level for us. If your looking for blame then look to the Republican party for allowing this dud to be on their ticket.

Exactly!
Thumb Up
Acts Enthusiast
9/6/16 11:52 am

Post Resident Skeptic
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Quote:

I'm afraid you have a completely naive outlook on the consequences of a Hillary victory. She will be reelected and i doubt there will ever be another GOP President. You guys still do not understand the depth of evil we are dealing with in these people. How will you overcome millions of new Democrat voters by way of freshly sworn in illegals?

As for Trump being a "dud'. Right now Trump and Hillary are tied. The battleground State polls are starting to reflect the national polling as well. Trump does this well with only 78% of GOP voter support. This means it is that petty, silly 22% of Never Trump GOP voters who are holding back a decisive Trump win. If any other Republican was the candidate right now, they would lose about 30% of the support Trump enjoys now. Even if the 22% of GOP voters who won't back Trump are factored back, that still puts the GOP candidate at 8 points lower than where Trump is now. Indeed, your type of thinker abandoned Bush in 2000 and almost cost us the election. You're committing the same shortsighted, self-righteous act now.
9/8/16 8:42 pm

Post UncleJD
Resident Skeptic wrote:

As for Trump being a "dud'. Right now Trump and Hillary are tied. The battleground State polls are starting to reflect the national polling as well. Trump does this well with only 78% of GOP voter support. This means ....

This means that the polls now suddenly mean something again? Wait, I thought the polls were wrong, fixed, lies, stupid, ignorant, ....
9/9/16 5:41 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
UncleJD wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

As for Trump being a "dud'. Right now Trump and Hillary are tied. The battleground State polls are starting to reflect the national polling as well. Trump does this well with only 78% of GOP voter support. This means ....

This means that the polls now suddenly mean something again? Wait, I thought the polls were wrong, fixed, lies, stupid, ignorant, ....

You are thinking of someone else as I never said those things. Evade the argument though you may, it is the 22% of GOP voters refusing to back Trump that is costing him the election right now. The stats do not lie.
9/9/16 7:05 pm

Post Patrick Harris
Resident Skeptic wrote:
UncleJD wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

You are thinking of someone else as I never said those things. Evade the argument though you may, it is the 22% of GOP voters refusing to back Trump that is costing him the election right now. The stats do not lie.

Happy member of that 22%

As long as he makes asinine statements like "I know more about ISIS than the generals". Then he can rot.
Acts Enthusiast
9/9/16 8:37 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Resident Skeptic wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Quote:

I'm afraid you have a completely naive outlook on the consequences of a Hillary victory. She will be reelected and i doubt there will ever be another GOP President. You guys still do not understand the depth of evil we are dealing with in these people. How will you overcome millions of new Democrat voters by way of freshly sworn in illegals?

As for Trump being a "dud'. Right now Trump and Hillary are tied. The battleground State polls are starting to reflect the national polling as well. Trump does this well with only 78% of GOP voter support. This means it is that petty, silly 22% of Never Trump GOP voters who are holding back a decisive Trump win. If any other Republican was the candidate right now, they would lose about 30% of the support Trump enjoys now. Even if the 22% of GOP voters who won't back Trump are factored back, that still puts the GOP candidate at 8 points lower than where Trump is now. Indeed, your type of thinker abandoned Bush in 2000 and almost cost us the election. You're committing the same shortsighted, self-righteous act now.

No I dont "have a completely naive outlook on the consequences of a Hillary victory." I know for sure , thats 100% , that she would be a disaster just like I know Trump would be absolutely no better. The SCOTUS appointments are nothing more than a scare tatic that I wont fall for. The house and senate have to approve the appointments.

This is why Im voting this election and I am voting for neither of the two. If trump wins then so be it , If hillary wins then so be it. I see a disaster if either gets in office just in different modes of measurements. I will not be responsible for putting either of the two in office.
9/9/16 9:24 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Quote:

No I dont "have a completely naive outlook on the consequences of a Hillary victory." I know for sure , thats 100% , that she would be a disaster just like I know Trump would be absolutely no better. The SCOTUS appointments are nothing more than a scare tatic that I wont fall for. The house and senate have to approve the appointments.

This is why Im voting this election and I am voting for neither of the two. If trump wins then so be it , If hillary wins then so be it. I see a disaster if either gets in office just in different modes of measurements. I will not be responsible for putting either of the two in office.

Anybody who thinks that Trump would be near the "disaster" that Hillary would be is drinking mushroom juice. If Hillary wins, there will never be another Republican president.
9/9/16 9:36 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Resident Skeptic wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Quote:

Anybody who thinks that Trump would be near the "disaster" that Hillary would be is drinking mushroom juice. If Hillary wins, there will never be another Republican president.

Cant get much worse than this , cheating workers out of pay and stopping free speech and free press. the guy is a cheating dictator nothing more.

Anyone that votes for this slug has been on mushroom juice for a long long time.

Quote:
TRUMP CAMPAIGN STAFFERS QUIT AFTER NOT GETTING PAID

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/09/donald-trump-policy-advisors-quit

Quote:
Donald Trump's campaign on Wednesday confirmed to multiple outlets that it was ending a media blacklist, which barred some newspapers and online sites from attending the GOP presidential nominee's campaign events.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/donald-trumps-campaign-ends-media-blacklist-040041123.html
9/9/16 9:43 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Quote:

Cant get much worse than this , cheating workers out of pay and stopping free speech and free press. the guy is a cheating dictator nothing more.

Anyone that votes for this slug has been on mushroom juice for a long long time.

Quote:
TRUMP CAMPAIGN STAFFERS QUIT AFTER NOT GETTING PAID

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/09/donald-trump-policy-advisors-quit

Quote:
Donald Trump's campaign on Wednesday confirmed to multiple outlets that it was ending a media blacklist, which barred some newspapers and online sites from attending the GOP presidential nominee's campaign events.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/donald-trumps-campaign-ends-media-blacklist-040041123.html

And I'm sure you have researched all of this to hear all sides instead of just latching onto it because you despise Trump.
9/9/16 9:48 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic