Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Interesting Facebook post from Tim Hill

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Interesting Facebook post from Tim Hill FLRon
Worth the read IMO.

https://www.facebook.com/100044499186953/posts/pfbid0KsXWfXoaPnL4UYueADHdwwjbuH2F1HkaHJfoUgyFMHypHxiWwkbJYdNtaqRw85zwl/?app=fbl
5/3/24 9:13 am

Post UncleJD
I saw that this morning. He must be going through it. I pray for strength to finish the task and then I hope he can do something that makes his soul happy afterward. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
5/3/24 10:57 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
No doubt he is troubled that he can't fix the Lee problem.

Of course, he had a strong ally in Travis Johnson - but he allowed him to get chopped down.

In hindsight, he probably feels that was a big mistake.

He should have named Travis as his liaison to clean up Lee - instead of silencing him.

He should still name him as special assistant for Lee cleanup.
5/3/24 12:25 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
And the sad fact is, he and Vest have successfully pressured the admins of what was a truly excellent ministers Facebook group to shut down things that make them uncomfortable. So disappointing on so many levels. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/3/24 2:47 pm

Post FLRon
UncleJD wrote:
I saw that this morning. He must be going through it. I pray for strength to finish the task and then I hope he can do something that makes his soul happy afterward.

I agree. I pray he finishes well, and I believe he will, and that he can walk away knowing he did his best. That’s all anyone can ask. How he’s judged by others is out of his control, but I pray he will be judged on his entire body of work.
5/3/24 7:31 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
And the sad fact is, he and Vest have successfully pressured the admins of what was a truly excellent ministers Facebook group to shut down things that make them uncomfortable. So disappointing on so many levels.

I've heard it said that Ray H Hughes commented re: drinking alcohol that it's easier to teach abstinence than moderation. Perhaps the same is true re: posts. I think the PB asking everyone not to continue discussion on some of the hot topics might be easier than getting people to use moderation. I don't think it is the greatest tactic but perhaps necessary to shut down the really negative comments that could have a very serious impact on our denomination.

I'm glad they are not shutting down the Excellent Ministers forum on Facebook. The admins have said they want to refocus on their original goals for the group, which is certainly needed.

I don't think changing the name of the other group on FB is going to have the desired effect, though it may stop some of the more negative comments (or at least move them there.) I stopped reading/commenting on the "new/old" group a long time ago. Too much arguing and "The COG is going to hell in a handbasket" type of comments. I'm still a member there but rarely interact there.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/3/24 10:40 pm

Post THE LOVE OF GOD
Sister
What is the link to what you are talking about? I don't know about it.

Carolyn Smith wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
And the sad fact is, he and Vest have successfully pressured the admins of what was a truly excellent ministers Facebook group to shut down things that make them uncomfortable. So disappointing on so many levels.

I've heard it said that Ray H Hughes commented re: drinking alcohol that it's easier to teach abstinence than moderation. Perhaps the same is true re: posts. I think the PB asking everyone not to continue discussion on some of the hot topics might be easier than getting people to use moderation. I don't think it is the greatest tactic but perhaps necessary to shut down the really negative comments that could have a very serious impact on our denomination.

I'm glad they are not shutting down the Excellent Ministers forum on Facebook. The admins have said they want to refocus on their original goals for the group, which is certainly needed.

I don't think changing the name of the other group on FB is going to have the desired effect, though it may stop some of the more negative comments (or at least move them there.) I stopped reading/commenting on the "new/old" group a long time ago. Too much arguing and "The COG is going to hell in a handbasket" type of comments. I'm still a member there but rarely interact there.
Friendly Face
5/4/24 2:21 am

Post There's a long tradition ... Mat
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Carolyn,

There's a long tradition of using media, and now social media, to air opinions and disagreements in the Church of God. If you read the Evangel, Assembly Minutes, or even newspapers and court records from the 1923 Split, you will read both accusations and counter justifications on both sides.

Many COG folks were indoctrinated by Conn's 1955 First Edition of "Like A Mighty Army", which was the social media of the time. I grew up with those folks who swore AJT was a thief and did not mind telling others (they can sing "the church of god is right, hallelujah to the lamb" with a mean spirit). While there have been revisions and new editions, the first edition has made the lasting impression.

I have an email sent just a few years ago where a faculty member of Lee U. makes a remark about getting back what AJT stole from one of his family members. Perhaps he was joking, but as AJT's great grandson, not only did I not think it was funny, my first thought was confrontation. I have done nothing yet, but I still have the email.

Media (and social media) is a two-edged sword, and when you make broad strokes you're in danger of cutting yourself with the back stroke. Likewise, an institution can not decry the opinions of its individual members, when the institution has its own history. The COG has those who have felt done wrong by what the institution said or did, up to and including the most recent accusations. If there is a call for individual repentance, perhaps there needs to be institution repentance as well - both official and public.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
5/4/24 7:16 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Del

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 5/5/24 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/4/24 7:26 am

Post sheepdogandy
Bro Hill is welcome here.

Come on down Brother, it will do you good.

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/4/24 3:58 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic