Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Acts-celerate Migration: Second Phase Scheduled for June 22, 2024

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Acts-celerate Migration: Second Phase Scheduled for June 22, 2024 shaunbwilson
Schedule:

Migration First Phase (Began March 25): Allowing users to continue to post on this forum while also reading, making an account for, and learning to post on the new platform. This is also when users who want to be verified as the owner of a username on this platform may do a verification. Verifications will no longer be available once phase two starts. This phase is currently underway.

Migration Second Phase (Scheduled for June 22): This forum will be locked in its existing state so that no new posts or comments can be posted here. However, during this phase, there will be access to view the "archives" of what has already been posted here.

Migration Final Phase (To Be Scheduled): The actscelerate.com domain will simply redirect to our new platform. I will stop paying our web host extra to use the old technology, and while the old posts will still be archived in our backend database, there will be no way for a user to access that information directly.

Announcement:

The second phase of the migration is scheduled to take place Saturday, June 22, 2024. This will be the 25-year anniversary of Acts-celerate (started on the ezBoard platform), and it seemed like a good date for a new transition.

Please be sure to wade into the new system and consider transitioning to using it as your main platform before the transition date so that there's ample time to receive help through this platform before it's permanently locked if you need it. Instructions to help you get started are in the Acts-celerate Migration: First Phase thread.

Please also be sure to use the voting feature of the new forum to "upvote" the posts and comments that add value to our community and "downvote" the posts and comments that don't add value to our community.

Finally, although it's already mentioned above, it's worth repeating that if you would like your new username on Reddit to be tagged as verified as associated with your username on this forum, you will have to do this before the second phase begins on June 22, 2024. Verifications will no longer be available once phase two starts. Remember that you must make a post on the new forum stating that your username on Actscelerate.com is "X," and you must also post on this forum that your Reddit username is "X." You must post both places to be verified.

For questions about getting your new account set up or to verify your new username, please post to the Acts-celerate Migration: First Phase thread.
5/2/24 2:51 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Thanks for the info, Shaun. Kinda sad to close this board down but it's needed.

Please explain the upvote and downvote a little more. I don't have a clue how to use it and haven't been able to find it again. I've seen it but its use is a mystery. Wink

Re: verification - does that mean no new people can join after the 2nd phase goes into effect? I'm thinking "no" but you would no longer be able to verify they're who they say they are since the old board is inaccessible. Please explain if you would.

Thanks for all you have done for 25 years, especially since Doyle passed. We appreciate your commitment so much! You rock!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/3/24 5:51 am

Post shaunbwilson
Excellent questions as usual, Carolyn! Smile

Carolyn Smith wrote:
Please explain the upvote and downvote a little more. I don't have a clue how to use it and haven't been able to find it again. I've seen it but its use is a mystery. Wink

Next to each post and comment you’ll notice an up arrow and a down arrow icon. A key feature to Reddit is that users can cast positive or negative votes, called upvotes and downvotes respectively, for each post and comment on the site. The number of upvotes or downvotes determines the posts' visibility on the site, so the most popular content is displayed to the most people.

On our current platform, each thread is moved to the top when there's a new comment on the thread. On the new platform, a thread does not automatically rise to the top just because there is a new comment. Threads rise to the top when there is heavy interaction with the thread such as upvotes to the thread as a whole, lots of voting activity on each individual comment, and lots of commenting overall.

Here is an example of voting on the "old" Reddit (my preferred layout):

On the left-hand side, you'll see that the Loran Livingston post has 4 points from 4 other users upvoting it. My user account has not yet cast a vote for this post. You can tell because both of the arrows are gray. The Lee University post has 3 votes. The orange-red up arrow means that my account has upvoted it. The overlandhermit post has 3 votes. The periwinkle down arrow means that my account has downvoted it. (Don't worry, Cojack/overlandhermit—I only voted to show this example and my account no longer has any votes cast. Very Happy)

Here's how the same posts look in the "new" Reddit design:

And here's an example of what voting on comments looks like. I have upvoted the top three comments, skipped a comment, and downvoted a comment.

You'll notice that each of these comments has a point value next to the commentator's username. Warbird979's comment has 5 points. The first BlueJasper27 comment has 4 points. FlRon99's comment has 4 points, and so on. These points are the total number of upvotes minus the total number of downvotes for that comment. The more points a comment has, the higher it floats to the top of the comment page. (I also removed all of these votes after taking the screenshot for example purposes. Wink )

One last thing I'll mention in this section is that you can choose how to sort the comments in a thread. The default sorting is for Reddit to show you the "best" comments based on the number of points and replies the comments have. However, you can choose to sort by "top" (sort strictly based on the number of points with no consideration to the number of replies), "new" (sorted reverse chronologically), "controversial" (has the highest total of upvotes and downvotes combined rather than highest upvotes minus downvotes), "old" (sorted chronologically), and "q&a" (all the comment threads where the original poster [sometimes shortened to "OP"] responded to a first level/parent comment).

Here's where you can sort:

Carolyn Smith wrote:
Re: verification - does that mean no new people can join after the 2nd phase goes into effect? I'm thinking "no" but you would no longer be able to verify they're who they say they are since the old board is inaccessible. Please explain if you would.

Thanks for asking. After the second phase goes into effect, registration will still be open for all on the Reddit platform. No new accounts will be allowed at the "old" phpBB platform. And since posting will be locked on the "old" board, you hit the nail on the head with I will no longer be able to verify who they say they are since they cannot confirm it on the "old" board. New accounts will always be welcome at the new Reddit platform.

Carolyn Smith wrote:
Thanks for all you have done for 25 years, especially since Doyle passed. We appreciate your commitment so much! You rock!

You're welcome. And thanks for all you have done to make this a fun community to be a part of. You have consistently brought a real sense of connectedness, responsibility of the members of this community to one another, positivity, and warmth to this community.
5/3/24 8:29 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic