Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

The 80-20 Rule (The Pareto Principle)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post The 80-20 Rule (The Pareto Principle) Aaron Scott
This mathematical principle claims, for instance, that 20% of a company's customer's generate 80% of their sales.

It would stand to reason, too, that 20% of criminals generate 80% of the crime.

Likewise, 20% of church members generate 80% of church problems.

In the case of Travis Johnson, I dare say that a 20% minority at Lee or PTS or in pastorates or the pew, are creating 80% of the problem we are having about gender issues. That 20%, if they had their way, would--no doubt unintentionally--turn us into an apostate church.

That 20% MUST GO...or MUST CHANGE.

We cannot afford to tolerate, tolerate, tolerate them in our midst. Eventually, that 20% will become 21%...25%...40%. And then all the we were and are will be lost, just another tragic story like that of Episcopalians and Methodists.

ME? I plan to die in the Church of God, but if worst came to worst, I'd go to the Church of God of Prophecy, I suppose.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/10/24 9:26 am

Post Cojak
I have a long comment and lost it. There was no need for it as what I want to say is I hope some common sensed prevails and our church can go on as usual. Hoping our leadership stands with our Brother Travis, for the right.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/10/24 7:51 pm

Post Lee U has a special ... Mat
Lee U has a central place in the psyche of the Church of God. There is a great deal of pride in the fact that it is a "Church of God Institution", especially when considering all the other Church of God colleges (in the US) were merged in to Lee U.

This institutional pride in the shared history, growth and educational standards of Lee U, and and the clear fact that its alumni comprise the primary source of leadership in the denomination, is inseparable from being "Church of God."

Now the COG is facing a challenge to the primary institution which shaped so many of them. When Lee U is in question, not only is a problem for the denomination, but for the psyche of members and ministers alike.

While we point at Harvard U (and other Ivy League schools) as an example of humanism and woke-ism gone to the extremes, few have raised the alarm that faculty and leadership from those secular institutions are undermining the founding principles which Lee U was built on.

I can see why these conversations, revelations and investigations are so gut wrenching to the rank and file of the COG. To question Lee U is to question one's self-identity.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
1/11/24 9:05 am

Post Re: The 80-20 Rule (The Pareto Principle) fire-starter
Aaron Scott wrote:

In the case of Travis Johnson, I dare say that a 20% minority at Lee or PTS or in pastorates or the pew, are creating 80% of the problem we are having about gender issues. That 20%, if they had their way, would--no doubt unintentionally--turn us into an apostate church.

We cannot afford to tolerate, tolerate, tolerate them in our midst. Eventually, that 20% will become 21%...25%...40%.

By this logic, you would want to become part of the 20% so you can have more influence on the 80%. Very Happy

I guess it depends too on how democratic we want the church to be. Do we want the majority (80%) to have complete control over the direction and decisions of the church? Or do we, like our country's founders, believe that majority rule can be just as disastrous as any dictatorship, perhaps even multiplied? The crowd isn't always right. In fact, they are usually wrong.
Acts Enthusiast
1/18/24 8:20 am

Post Re: The 80-20 Rule (The Pareto Principle) Nature Boy Florida
fire-starter wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

We cannot afford to tolerate, tolerate, tolerate them in our midst. Eventually, that 20% will become 21%...25%...40%.

By this logic, you would want to become part of the 20% so you can have more influence on the 80%. Very Happy

I guess it depends too on how democratic we want the church to be. Do we want the majority (80%) to have complete control over the direction and decisions of the church? Or do we, like our country's founders, believe that majority rule can be just as disastrous as any dictatorship, perhaps even multiplied? The crowd isn't always right. In fact, they are usually wrong.

No one is asking for complete control.

We just want the ones there to follow rules that are already in place. Or is the 80% wrong wanting that to happen?

Right now it looks like one guy against the 99%. I have not seen one thing that Travis has requested that isn't totally reasonable. And if the 20% have a problem with it - perhaps they would be happier going to Harvard.
1/18/24 9:41 am

Post NBF, I don't know why I tolerate you! Aaron Scott
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
fire-starter wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

No one is asking for complete control.

We just want the ones there to follow rules that are already in place. Or is the 80% wrong wanting that to happen?

Right now it looks like one guy against the 99%. I have not seen one thing that Travis has requested that isn't totally reasonable. And if the 20% have a problem with it - perhaps they would be happier going to Harvard.

My point, you miserable person who likes the Gators, is that that measely 20% of people in the Church of God ARE THE PROBLEM, in that some small percentage is creating trouble for the majority. What trouble are they causing? Mainly, it's the gender junk. But a close second is liking the Gators.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/18/24 9:49 am

Post Link
I am pretty sure the economist Pareto did not specify that there was a rule that the ratio is 80 to 20, even though the concept that all inputs do not consistently produce the same percentage of outputs. Acts-perienced Poster
1/18/24 9:53 am

Post Re: The 80-20 Rule (The Pareto Principle) Link
Aaron Scott wrote:
This mathematical principle claims, for instance, that 20% of a company's customer's generate 80% of their sales.

It would stand to reason, too, that 20% of criminals generate 80% of the crime.

We cannot afford to tolerate, tolerate, tolerate them in our midst. Eventually, that 20% will become 21%...25%...40%. And then all the we were and are will be lost, just another tragic story like that of Episcopalians and Methodists.

ME? I plan to die in the Church of God, but if worst came to worst, I'd go to the Church of God of Prophecy, I suppose.

I have heard of some corporations that fire the bottom 20... or whatever... percent of employees. Maybe they are too stuck on the numbers of the pop, non-scientific, version of the Pareto principle and seeing low producers as producing inefficiencies or something like that. Firing 80% might be detrimental.

I've got no clue if 20% of people are pushing for sexual perversion and lax attitudes. Given the social climate, it may make sense to use the LGBTQ stance as a kind of shibboleth and defrock or expel those who promote false teachings on it, if they will not repent, and of course let them go from any paid denominational university teaching positions, and be selective in hiring. Many Christians who work on college campuses are aware that not calling a boy a she could in the future get them fired. If the wages are decent, Lee could attract them.

I'm post-trib, and I think the typical classical Pentecostal view on initial evidence is a very over-defined doctrine considering the Biblical evidence. So I don't know if I could get a job at a place like Lee if I tried. Are those litmus tests? But I'm not sure about the pro-LGBT folks.

ORU wanted to know if I spoke in tongues before they made me an offer. That was a requirement, but not a particular view on initial evidence. I thought it was an odd requirement. I was getting ready to sign, but realized I would have to make a 'solemn vow' to the Lord, and that was not in line with my beliefs or conscience, so I declined.
Acts-perienced Poster
1/18/24 10:10 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic