Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

The Hymnal, a new one on me!

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post The Hymnal, a new one on me! Cojak
I attended a non denominational church service on Christmas Eve. The minister started off by asking how many people noticed WE do not use the Hymnal.

They are misused by denominations to ignore the Holy Spirit! Everyone KNOWS that the four verses in most Hymnals have 4 verses. #1 is about Salvation, #2 is about a pure life. Then #3 is about the Holy Ghost and #4 is about the Church.

We noticed for years TIME AND TIME AGAIN THAT leaders would announce turn to page xxx we will sing the first, second and fourth verses. THUS IGNORING THE HOLY SPIRIT!
This church has sort of a Rock and Roll Praise team with the lights on bright for the stage and out for the congregation.

To be honest the pastor did a good job with the Word, but that example was new to me and I have been around many years. It has always been a practice to skip verses I always imagined for time purposes. I have never noticed it was always #3.

Have any of you ever heard of this?

I am not thinking it is a big deal, I was just surprised with a story I have never heard. Smile Smile Shocked

PS The service was at a Rehab my son is presently forced to attend.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/26/23 6:59 pm

Post Re: The Hymnal, a new one on me! georgiapath
Cojak wrote:
I attended a non denominational church service on Christmas Eve. The minister started off by asking how many people noticed WE do not use the Hymnal.

They are misused by denominations to ignore the Holy Spirit! Everyone KNOWS that the four verses in most Hymnals have 4 verses. #1 is about Salvation, #2 is about a pure life. Then #3 is about the Holy Ghost and #4 is about the Church.

We noticed for years TIME AND TIME AGAIN THAT leaders would announce turn to page xxx we will sing the first, second and fourth verses. THUS IGNORING THE HOLY SPIRIT!
This church has sort of a Rock and Roll Praise team with the lights on bright for the stage and out for the congregation.

To be honest the pastor did a good job with the Word, but that example was new to me and I have been around many years. It has always been a practice to skip verses I always imagined for time purposes. I have never noticed it was always #3.

Have any of you ever heard of this?

I am not thinking it is a big deal, I was just surprised with a story I have never heard. Smile Smile Shocked

PS The service was at a Rehab my son is presently forced to attend.

I had notices the skipped 3rd. verse but always thought it was because of time, never heard this before either. And I have been around for many, many years too.
Acts-dicted
12/27/23 5:01 am

Post SCFIRE
That's a brand new one on me too.
12/27/23 8:58 am

Post Re: The Hymnal, a new one on me! Link
Cojak wrote:
They are misused by denominations to ignore the Holy Spirit! Everyone KNOWS that the four verses in most Hymnals have 4 verses. #1 is about Salvation, #2 is about a pure life. Then #3 is about the Holy Ghost and #4 is about the Church..

I commented on a sermon about singing out of a hymn, and skipping the third stanza... why skip the third stanza, but I never noticed a pattern of the third stanza being about the Holy Spirit. What was the song?
Acts-perienced Poster
12/27/23 10:36 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
I've done a lot of hymnal reading in my time.

I never noticed the third stanza(s) being about the Holy Spirit.

Amazing Grace third stanza:

The Lord hath promised good to me,
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures.
12/28/23 11:32 am

Post Cojak, I don't buy it.... Aaron Scott
The first 22 pages of the Hymnal only have three verses.

Same with pages 28-39, 42-43...I don't want to go through all the pages, but I imagine that the vast majority have only 3 verses.

As for the whole "Holy Ghost" things, that's bull malarkey. Probably heard from a friend, who heard from a friend, who heard from a friend....

It's right up there with the false claim that Jesus preached more on hell than on heaven. NO HE DIDN'T. Someone wanted people to preach on hell more, apparently, so they came up with this claim.

And from what I can see of those with 4 verses, the third verse is not some verse that is "magically" about the Holy Ghost.

Cojak, go back to that church this coming Sunday...and rebuke the daylights out of that pastor for tossing the hymnal. I mean, was he unable to have his music director sing all the third verses if what he said was true?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/28/23 5:22 pm

Post UncleJD
sounds like a case of stretching the facts to match the premise. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/4/24 4:09 pm

Post Cojak
Thanks for the input, i smiled to myself when I heard it. The message was delivered at Faith Farm. My son is there for Rehab. It is sort of a strange place. I would give it a vote as a cult, but I am hoping it will be deferent after he has been there a few months.

Our first service there we stood for about an hour for some music and a preacher who spoke over the music about a sentence every 10 minutes.

But the last couple sermons have been fairly straight forward, except for the hymnal thing 3rd verse thing.

Son seems to think he will be REQUIRED to fall out under the power of the Holy Spirit before he can graduate. He doesn't say much about what goes on, it is like Teen Challenge where you are not allowed to talk about the procedure and things said in class. At least they do not read his mail going out, but does have to open all incoming mail in front of a member of the staff.
At Teen challenge they read incoming and outgoing.

At Faith Farm they do not read the incoming, just make sure nothing not allowed it sent in.

It is a very confusing place, but is is court mandated so it is either there or prison.
I would appreciate all the prayers for my son. At least he is required to read the Bible and required to memorize 5 verses a week.

And they do not allow the King JAmes Version, only the ESV.

We are trusting God to take care of our son. BTW Graduation from the full 10-12 months is 1%, yes that is what they told us, 1%...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/4/24 9:08 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic