Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I cannot help it, I laugh at us....

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I cannot help it, I laugh at us.... Cojak
Forgive and old person who still has most, or some of his past memories. BUT I heard a COG pastor tell of his favorite MOVIE in the pulpit, as a matter of fact his sermon was a lot of the MOVIE. Movie? as in the SHOW? Shucks even TV was a go to HELL sin, but Movies, MOVIES of anything would send you straight to hell. Did you know those actors and actresses are sinners, most are adulterers and fornicators?

No don't get me wrong. WE now have several NEW TV's we do not watch them but about an hour total a year. I have attended many movies over the last 20 years also.

I just still smile when I hear men talk of how much more dedicated we are now. We NEVER had praise and worship and now we have special teams for that. I remember when those nominal churches even had a program to tell them what do do next, We LET THE LORD LEAD US back then no COG would have a 'program leaflet' to hand out.

Yeah I know 'Bound for Beulah' is my cousin. WE KNOW STUFF! LOL

Strange just in a short 50 years the COG has changed. I had grown kids before I bought my wife a wedding ring. (It took me that long to save the money.)

Forgive my ranting, I do love the Lord and can imagine (if HE rolls HIS eyes, he has done it a lot with us who do TRY) to be His children. Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/11/23 9:30 pm

Post georgiapath
Love your post, know exactly where you are coming from. Laughing Laughing Laughing Acts-dicted
12/12/23 4:49 am

Post FLRon
I still remember when I found out that the wife of a coworker didn’t have a wedding band because the cog wouldn’t permit it. Being in an Independent Pentecostal church at the time I asked my friend “what’s wrong with you people? Where does it say that in the New Testament”?

That was my introduction to the legalistic side of the cog, a side I wished I had never known existed. Many years later when I came into the cog it took me all of about two weeks to realize I don’t belong here!
12/12/23 7:36 am

Post Yep... Aaron Scott
I saw my first movie at the age of 34. I had just gotten married and my wife pointed out the obvious issue with RENTING movies but not attending them. (I didn't have a TV until 34 either, but I digress.)

So, at the late night showing of Robert Duvall's "The Apostle," we "snuck" into a theater and watched it. No one but us was there, I don't believe. It was wonderful! I totally understood where it was coming from (reminded me of many tent evangelists, I guess--even though Farrah Fawcett Majors was clearly miscast, not seeming to understand how a Pentecostal church operated).

Right now, I am hip-deep in watching the 1970s TV series with James Arness "How the West Was Won." It is wonderful viewing! (Especially when, as in the past few weeks, I've been on pain meds.)

It's almost impossible today to watch a modern film for an adult without them NEEDLESSLY slipping in a NEEDLESS bad word. If a movie is rated PG-13, it's almost as if it's required to insert an f-bomb--LUDICROUS! It's like 4th graders snickering because they said a bad word. I personally suggest that such directors/writers be slapped with a large, frozen mullet right in the MOUTH.

I am so glad that there is a growing field of Christian filmmakers who are making movies that are clean, not "preachy," and actually interesting, yet are clearly Christian in nature. For that matter, "The Chosen" isn't even preachy, yet it is the life of Jesus (with a degree of poetic license, of course).

I tend to lump "wholesome" and "Christian" together, so long as the wholesome shows don't have anything contrary to Christianity. Maybe one day there will be a vast library of current material. Until then, I'm more than happy with Gunsmoke, How the West Was Won, Little House on the Prairie (Landon was a Jew, yet made one of the most "Christian" TV shows around), Andy Griffith, etc.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/12/23 2:10 pm

Post Cojak
I smiled knowing Aaron was a preachers son.. How ever I learned early a friend of mine, the clerks son, taught me how to sneak into movies. One of my worst and best memories happened in 1948, Burlington, NC. I had sneaked into the Saturday morning Cowboy movie and was shocked to learn Roy rogers was going to be there in person to introduce the movie. He and Trigger were on stage and he said one kid could ride Trigger around the stage. With hundreds of kids screaming and raising our hands Roy picked me.
I got to ride Trigger around the stage as Roy lead him. I was in the 7th heaven.

UNTIL my dad asked me Monday morning where I had been Saturday morning.
I told him I was playing with Sonny at his house...

AND THEN he held up the newspaper there I was on the front page of the News paper sitting aboard Trigger. Dad gave me a Bible lesson, "Be Sure YOur SINs cannot be hidden."

At the time I wished I had waited until I was 34 to see a movie. LOL
12/12/23 8:22 pm

Post georgiapath
Cojak wrote:
I smiled knowing Aaron was a preachers son.. How ever I learned early a friend of mine, the clerks son, taught me how to sneak into movies. One of my worst and best memories happened in 1948, Burlington, NC. I had sneaked into the Saturday morning Cowboy movie and was shocked to learn Roy rogers was going to be there in person to introduce the movie. He and Trigger were on stage and he said one kid could ride Trigger around the stage. With hundreds of kids screaming and raising our hands Roy picked me.
I got to ride Trigger around the stage as Roy lead him. I was in the 7th heaven.

UNTIL my dad asked me Monday morning where I had been Saturday morning.
I told him I was playing with Sonny at his house...

AND THEN he held up the newspaper there I was on the front page of the News paper sitting aboard Trigger. Dad gave me a Bible lesson, "Be Sure YOur SINs cannot be hidden."

At the time I wished I had waited until I was 34 to see a movie. LOL

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Acts-dicted
12/13/23 9:49 am

Post Cojak...reminds me of story Aaron Scott
A preacher told his associate that he was sick, but he really just laid out to go golfing. An angel looked on disapprovingly.

On the first hole, he knocked a hole in one!

Same on the second, third, fourth...ALL OF THEM!

An angel was standing beside the Lord and said, "After he lied and laid out of church, why did you let him play a perfect game???"

God said, "...Who's he going to tell?"
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/13/23 11:23 am

Post Re: Cojak...reminds me of story Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
A preacher told his associate that he was sick, but he really just laid out to go golfing. An angel looked on disapprovingly.

On the first hole, he knocked a hole in one!

Same on the second, third, fourth...ALL OF THEM!

An angel was standing beside the Lord and said, "After he lied and laid out of church, why did you let him play a perfect game???"

God said, "...Who's he going to tell?"

Yeah, I sure couldn't brag about riding Trigger...... Even after it was known.

thanks for the smiles...... We needed them today..
12/13/23 8:47 pm

Post Link
FLRon wrote:
I still remember when I found out that the wife of a coworker didn’t have a wedding band because the cog wouldn’t permit it. Being in an Independent Pentecostal church at the time I asked my friend “what’s wrong with you people? Where does it say that in the New Testament”?

Did they say this?

1 Timothy 2:9
In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
Acts-perienced Poster
12/19/23 1:47 pm

Post Re: Yep... Old Time Country Preacher
Aaron Scott wrote:
I saw my first movie at the age of 34..."The Apostle," we "snuck" into a theater and watched it.

This here is where the sin done commenced, Aaron.
Acts-pert Poster
12/20/23 11:18 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic