Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Retirement from ministry

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Retirement from ministry FLRon
Is it even possible? In a secular job the goal always seems to be to make it to retirement and be able to enjoy a few good years doing fun and interesting things before age and poor health slow you down.

In ministry however, with the old “gifts and calling are without repentance” always at the forefront of our minds, do you dream of/ look forward to retirement? Or, do you feel obligated to keep on the firing line until you shed this mortal coil?

If you do look forward to retirement one day, when will you know the day has arrived? Are you waiting on a specific age? Is it a mental thing where you’re just waiting until it feels right?
9/1/23 3:02 pm

Post One Day We All Have to Come Off the Dance Floor FG Minister
I'm 62, and have been a pastor for 40 years. I've been at my current pastorate for 26 years and the church is still growing (400 attendees) and doing well, but I plan to retire from pastoral work in two years. Why retire at 64? I want to go out on top so I can continue in ministry in a different capacity.

In two years, I hope to have my financial ducks in a row so I can retire from pastoral work. Honestly, if I could line up the financial ducks now, I'd retire now. The world has changed and although I don't have this issue just yet, eventually millennials will be the elders and deacons. They think differently, and they are sometimes difficult to pastor, so I can't imagine them as decision-makers. I want out before that shift happens in this congregation.
Acts-celerater
9/2/23 8:54 am

Post FLRon.... Aaron Scott
Of course, retiring from pastoring is not the same thing as retiring from MINISRY. But the sad truth is that, at least in our times, it is about the same thing.

Why? Because if you retire from pastoring--or otherwise "active" ministry--you can become something of a relic. You no longer are typically "in the know" or called upon for ministry, except by old friends.

And the older you become, the fewer old friends you have. Yes, a retired minister, if he was a national leader, can stay quite busy, I'm sure. But a more local minister may have far fewer opportunities.

ALL OF THAT TO SAY THIS:

When you retire from pastoring, be assured in your heart and mind that it is God's timing. For if you're not sure, it can be a thing of regret.

When my dad retired, he had prayed and meditated on it deeply, for he knew ministers who lived with such regret. Thankfully, he had been very, very happy. He preaches once or twice a month or so, sometimes filling in for a sick pastor or the such, and feels assured he made the right decision.

For what it's worth, there are several things that I believe God uses to communicate that it's time:

If your health is failing--especially if it is weighing on you in terms of your ability to help the church--maybe it's time.

If your wife is wanting to retire, maybe it's time.

If you feel you've done about all you can do for the church, maybe it's time.

If you are longing to retire, maybe it's time.

On an on.

The priests used to work from the age of, I believe, 25 to age 50. The high priest served for life (and that may have been the same for those in the lineage of the high priest). That may be a signal.

An older pastor can be deeply beneficial to his congregation. He has an enormous amount of wisdom and experience, as well as a significant amount of personal knowledge of the lives of his people. But at some point, he is not giving the next pastor the opportunity to learn and expand the congregation while he (the new pastor) is still young enough to have adequate energy, but old enough to have the needed wisdom, etc.

DISCERN the difference between God letting you know NOT to leave...and just feeling concern about stepping into the unknown. If you act in good faith toward God, He will keep you.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/2/23 2:41 pm

Post Re: One Day We All Have to Come Off the Dance Floor FLRon
FG Minister wrote:
I'm 62, and have been a pastor for 40 years. I've been at my current pastorate for 26 years and the church is still growing (400 attendees) and doing well, but I plan to retire from pastoral work in two years. Why retire at 64? I want to go out on top so I can continue in ministry in a different capacity.

In two years, I hope to have my financial ducks in a row so I can retire from pastoral work. Honestly, if I could line up the financial ducks now, I'd retire now. The world has changed and although I don't have this issue just yet, eventually millennials will be the elders and deacons. They think differently, and they are sometimes difficult to pastor, so I can't imagine them as decision-makers. I want out before that shift happens in this congregation.

That’s an amazing legacy you will leave for others to emulate. I love your desire to go out on top while still looking to new ministry opportunities when you do retire. Your heart for ministry is obvious and I applaud you on 40 years of service.
9/3/23 5:20 am

Post FLRon
Aaron: it’s interesting that you mentioned that once retired you tend to be forgotten. I heard this same thing from someone who retired from the state office. He felt a deep sense of hurt over not being included or mentioned at camp meeting that same year. I get that because everyone handles the transition differently.

The various reasons you listed for knowing the time has come show a lot of wisdom and understanding. For me personally I just know that Monday has become a rest/recuperate day that is wanting to stretch into Tuesday. The fire and passion are still very strong, but after a year of prayer and thoughtful consideration I know it’s time.
9/3/23 5:36 am

Post Cojak
From experience 'retirement' is NOT for everyone. Have a 'Future' in mind or you will wilt on the vine and become bitter.

Some decide to play more golf, then realize the cost hurts.

Retirement from any occupation or calling REQUIRES SERIOUS PLANNING. My BIL, former pastor and overseer had THE respect from the folks he knew. He joined us on our travels in A motor home. He loved to visit small churches thru out the USA & Canada. Most times he was asked to preach and enjoyed every minute of it.

I have heard pastors say they cringed when a former pastor chose their church to join. He had 'enjoyed' a former pastor who wanted to co-pastor or sorta take over, and it caused hard feelings. It takes wisdom to set under someone who 'needs' some 'teaching on pastoring.'(in your opinion) Wink and keeping your mouth shut or 'waiting for an appropriate time to give advice.

Small struggling churches love and appreciate former successful pastors and church officials who take the time to 'include them'!

As we traveled with SAL, you would be surprised how often I heard from small churches, "This is the first time this church has ever seen or heard a former overseer stop by and preach."

Example: Carl Hart took a very small church after retiring. Those folks were blessed with teaching and sermons that kept them stirred. They loved him. We were privileged to stop by and worship with him and the folks at Lake Panasoffkee, FL several times.

Just have something in mind to keep you busy and out of trouble if you plan to retire. It only takes about 3-4 weeks to relax, sleep in and fix every thing around the house, then you get in your wife or husbands way. Wink.

KEEP IN MIND TODAY YOU ARE SOMEONE, OR IMPORTANT TO OTHERS, TOMORROW YOU WILL BE JUST ANOTHER OLD RETIREE.....

Shocked Shocked Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/3/23 8:31 am

Post FLRon
Cojak wrote:
From experience 'retirement' is NOT for everyone. Have a 'Future' in mind or you will wilt on the vine and become bitter.

Some decide to play more golf, then realize the cost hurts.

Retirement from any occupation or calling REQUIRES SERIOUS PLANNING. My BIL, former pastor and overseer had THE respect from the folks he knew. He joined us on our travels in A motor home. He loved to visit small churches thru out the USA & Canada. Most times he was asked to preach and enjoyed every minute of it.

I have heard pastors say they cringed when a former pastor chose their church to join. He had 'enjoyed' a former pastor who wanted to co-pastor or sorta take over, and it caused hard feelings. It takes wisdom to set under someone who 'needs' some 'teaching on pastoring.'(in your opinion) Wink and keeping your mouth shut or 'waiting for an appropriate time to give advice.

Small struggling churches love and appreciate former successful pastors and church officials who take the time to 'include them'!

As we traveled with SAL, you would be surprised how often I heard from small churches, "This is the first time this church has ever seen or heard a former overseer stop by and preach."

Example: Carl Hart took a very small church after retiring. Those folks were blessed with teaching and sermons that kept them stirred. They loved him. We were privileged to stop by and worship with him and the folks at Lake Panasoffkee, FL several times.

Just have something in mind to keep you busy and out of trouble if you plan to retire. It only takes about 3-4 weeks to relax, sleep in and fix every thing around the house, then you get in your wife or husbands way. Wink.

KEEP IN MIND TODAY YOU ARE SOMEONE, OR IMPORTANT TO OTHERS, TOMORROW YOU WILL BE JUST ANOTHER OLD RETIREE.....

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Lots of wisdom there Cojack. I know all too well the pitfalls of retiring without a solid plan for what to do with my time. I retired once already from a major company and for two years I felt useless. God rescued me by placing me in a church where I was able to use many different skills, some of which were new to me. After a few months of rest we’ll see what happens next. Maybe something maybe nothing. At this point it’s all good!
9/5/23 7:37 am

Post Re: FLRon.... Nature Boy Florida
Aaron Scott wrote:
Of course, retiring from pastoring is not the same thing as retiring from MINISRY. But the sad truth is that, at least in our times, it is about the same thing.

Why? Because if you retire from pastoring--or otherwise "active" ministry--you can become something of a relic. You no longer are typically "in the know" or called upon for ministry, except by old friends.

And the older you become, the fewer old friends you have. Yes, a retired minister, if he was a national leader, can stay quite busy, I'm sure. But a more local minister may have far fewer opportunities.

ALL OF THAT TO SAY THIS:

When you retire from pastoring, be assured in your heart and mind that it is God's timing. For if you're not sure, it can be a thing of regret.

When my dad retired, he had prayed and meditated on it deeply, for he knew ministers who lived with such regret. Thankfully, he had been very, very happy. He preaches once or twice a month or so, sometimes filling in for a sick pastor or the such, and feels assured he made the right decision.

For what it's worth, there are several things that I believe God uses to communicate that it's time:

If your health is failing--especially if it is weighing on you in terms of your ability to help the church--maybe it's time.

If your wife is wanting to retire, maybe it's time.

If you feel you've done about all you can do for the church, maybe it's time.

If you are longing to retire, maybe it's time.

On an on.

The priests used to work from the age of, I believe, 25 to age 50. The high priest served for life (and that may have been the same for those in the lineage of the high priest). That may be a signal.

An older pastor can be deeply beneficial to his congregation. He has an enormous amount of wisdom and experience, as well as a significant amount of personal knowledge of the lives of his people. But at some point, he is not giving the next pastor the opportunity to learn and expand the congregation while he (the new pastor) is still young enough to have adequate energy, but old enough to have the needed wisdom, etc.

DISCERN the difference between God letting you know NOT to leave...and just feeling concern about stepping into the unknown. If you act in good faith toward God, He will keep you.

Agree with Aaron on this.

Life starts over with retirement. Hopefully you weren't too busy at church to keep some friends of your own - cause most of the church "colleagues" you have will no longer be calling you.

It's just the way it is.
9/5/23 10:31 am

Post DrDuck
It has been a long time since I put a post on Acts but I think I want to comment on this subject.

When the church is done with you the Lord is not. Age should not even be an issue, but it is as it does matter to those in charge I in the Church of God. Someone someday will answer to God Almighty personally for such policy even though (as far as I know) it is unofficial.

I am 82 and the time came when it was "practical" to retire from the pastorate. None the less, I have filled the pulpit for the last 4 Sundays for various pastors who were away for one reason or another. I sometimes am not in attendance at my home church more than on time a month while answering invitations to fill in for various pastors some Church of God and many from other denominations.

There is no repenting the call of God to ministry and I am genuinely thankful to the Lord that opportunity to preach the Gospel continues for me as I age.
Acts-celerater
9/5/23 10:54 am

Post Retirement 4thgeneration
I am 62 and have served 35 years as a pastor. In 3 years, when I am 65 I plan to retire from pastoring.

I have numerous reasons, which are personal for me. But those reasons add up to realizing that it will be time to shift my role from the ongoing stress and challenges of pastoring to a less demanding role of ministry.

I am so thankful that, in spite of my initial resistance, God's persistence led me into pastoring. I am overwhelmed when I consider that God would choose me and use me to minister His life changing gospel. I am amazed when I think about the harvest increase that I have experienced through these 35 years. I am blessed to have pastored and currently pastor people who love God and love His church. I am also aware that every heard of sheep has a few goats and donkeys (KJV) in it. And I suppose I should also be thankful for them.

I do not believe Romans 11:29 requires that I remain in the pastorate until I drop dead in the pastor's office from old age. In the book of Numbers God gave instructions to Moses concerning the Levites and serving in the tabernacle (Numbers 8:23-26). They were to begin serving at 25 and serve until 50. At that point they could assist those serving, but were not to do the work of serving. I believe these both work together to make room for continuing to serve the Lord in a shifted role of ministry, while retiring from pastoring.

Throughout my life God has led me in different directions in ministry, each time leading me into a different role, situation, and at times location of ministry. Those transitions did not equate to the cessation of ministry, but a shift in the focus, type, and area of ministry.

Retirement for me will serve as that next shift. I won't stop doing ministry altogether, as I, a Christian, am called into the ministry of the gospel. I will step into a role that removes me from the unrelenting pressures of pastoring. I will also take more time than I have in the past 35 years to do things with my wife that we enjoy while we can still enjoy them.

Just my O!
Acts Enthusiast
9/13/23 8:25 am

Post Re: Retirement FLRon
4thgeneration wrote:
I am 62 and have served 35 years as a pastor. In 3 years, when I am 65 I plan to retire from pastoring.

I have numerous reasons, which are personal for me. But those reasons add up to realizing that it will be time to shift my role from the ongoing stress and challenges of pastoring to a less demanding role of ministry.

I am so thankful that, in spite of my initial resistance, God's persistence led me into pastoring. I am overwhelmed when I consider that God would choose me and use me to minister His life changing gospel. I am amazed when I think about the harvest increase that I have experienced through these 35 years. I am blessed to have pastored and currently pastor people who love God and love His church. I am also aware that every heard of sheep has a few goats and donkeys (KJV) in it. And I suppose I should also be thankful for them.

I do not believe Romans 11:29 requires that I remain in the pastorate until I drop dead in the pastor's office from old age. In the book of Numbers God gave instructions to Moses concerning the Levites and serving in the tabernacle (Numbers 8:23-26). They were to begin serving at 25 and serve until 50. At that point they could assist those serving, but were not to do the work of serving. I believe these both work together to make room for continuing to serve the Lord in a shifted role of ministry, while retiring from pastoring.

Throughout my life God has led me in different directions in ministry, each time leading me into a different role, situation, and at times location of ministry. Those transitions did not equate to the cessation of ministry, but a shift in the focus, type, and area of ministry.

Retirement for me will serve as that next shift. I won't stop doing ministry altogether, as I, a Christian, am called into the ministry of the gospel. I will step into a role that removes me from the unrelenting pressures of pastoring. I will also take more time than I have in the past 35 years to do things with my wife that we enjoy while we can still enjoy them.

Just my O!

Congratulations on your impending retirement! You’ve certainly earned it. I appreciate your description of a ministry shift. That sounds exactly where I’m headed.
9/13/23 9:37 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I plan to work until noon on the day of my funeral. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/15/23 7:24 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic