Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Dare you to try this

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Dare you to try this roughridercog
Next Sunday, don't use your usual praise and worship team. Use a baritone to lead in a lower key and sing all classic hymns. Use simple keyboard accompaniment with maybe a drummer.
Observe your congregation.
I'd be willing to bet that you will notice them actually singing and will actually be able to hear their voices. The reason I suggested a single baritone voice is one of the main reasons people aren't singing is because the newer songs are in higher keys and the people are overwhelmed often by the instruments. So they resign themselves to be spectators.

Try it as an experiment.
4/5/21 12:41 pm

Post FLRon
I was watching a Baptist service on YouTube recently that did what you are suggesting. How refreshing! And you're right, nearly everyone was singing along. I can see however that most churches would not want to do this for fear of being perceived as going backwards. I think far too many churches have succumbed to the performance mentality and don't even know it.
4/7/21 6:43 am

Post roughridercog
FLRon wrote:
I was watching a Baptist service on YouTube recently that did what you are suggesting. How refreshing! And you're right, nearly everyone was singing along. I can see however that most churches would not want to do this for fear of being perceived as going backwards. I think far too many churches have succumbed to the performance mentality and don't even know it.

I hear you. That's why I made the suggestion. I bet there might even be a silver headed song leader out there who could help pull it off.

Drop it down a couple of keys. Use a singular lower voice. Use a piano or keyboard (minimum instrumentation) and watch what happens. Bet you'll see some people come alive.

Then turn the lights up so people can see to read their Bible! Ha ha
4/7/21 6:49 am

Post Re: Dare you to try this Cojak
roughridercog wrote:
... The reason I suggested a single baritone voice is one of the main reasons people aren't singing is because the newer songs are in higher keys and the people are overwhelmed often by the instruments. So they resign themselves to be spectators.

Try it as an experiment.

True DAT! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/9/21 10:25 am

Post Re: Dare you to try this roughridercog
Cojak wrote:
roughridercog wrote:
... The reason I suggested a single baritone voice is one of the main reasons people aren't singing is because the newer songs are in higher keys and the people are overwhelmed often by the instruments. So they resign themselves to be spectators.

Try it as an experiment.

True DAT! Cool

Many just turn off the hearing aides rather than deal with noise and distortion
4/9/21 1:13 pm

Post georgiapath
[quote="FLRon"]I was watching a Baptist service on YouTube recently that did what you are suggesting. How refreshing! And you're right, nearly everyone was singing along. I can see however that most churches would not want to do this for fear of being perceived as going backwards. I think far too many churches have succumbed to the performance mentality and don't even know it.[/quote

I think your right.
Acts-dicted
4/9/21 8:41 pm

Post If someone tries this experiment, post the results roughridercog
It would make interesting reading
4/10/21 7:06 am

Post Link
roughridercog wrote:
FLRon wrote:

I hear you. That's why I made the suggestion. I bet there might even be a silver headed song leader out there who could help pull it off.

Drop it down a couple of keys. Use a singular lower voice. Use a piano or keyboard (minimum instrumentation) and watch what happens. Bet you'll see some people come alive.

Then turn the lights up so people can see to read their Bible! Ha ha

But the smoke from the smog machine doesn't look as cool with the lights up. Smile
Acts-perienced Poster
4/10/21 10:34 am

Post FLRon
“But the smoke from the smog machine doesn't look as cool with the lights up”.Smile

For sure. I was at a meeting recently in Tampa where the fog machine was cranking just about as much as the bass drum was. The younger folks loved it, which is cool. As for me, not so much.
4/11/21 12:35 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic