Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I must be the worst preacher ever. Have to use 66 Books of notes

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I must be the worst preacher ever. Have to use 66 Books of notes doyle
After preaching one Sunday, a member said to me privately, "I noticed you were using notes. I don't think a real Man of God has to use notes. Just open your mouth and the Holy Ghost will fill it."

Over the years, I've found that to be true. If you don't study and don't use notes, the Holy Ghost may fill your mouth with air.

This is a paraphrase, "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a preacher that needeth not to be embarrassed for not being prepared."

Yes, there are some who can preach without notes in front of them, but they have memorized their notes made previously. A few can do that and it is admirable, but this lesser-light seems to stay on course better with a note or two.

HOWEVER, all of we preachers DO USE notes. I especially enjoy using notes from Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Apostle Paul and King David. Throw in some Isaiah, Jeremiah, a few books written by Moses and it makes preaching a more meaningful experience.

If someone challenges me now for using notes, I hold up the Bible and reply, "You better believe it. I'm using 66 Books of notes and feel privileged to do so."

Doyle
2/18/21 12:34 pm

Post Doyle... Aaron Scott
What a foolish person to say that to you!

I've heard preacher that didn't study...but "just let God fill their mouth." While I have had a small handful of times when God helped me when I didn't go my due diligence, most of the time, you just wish the service was over. Or that an asteroid struck earth.

I've seen preachers try to, it seems, yell louder to make up for the silence of their "inspiration."

I've seen them hem and haw and just meander along--often preaching even longer than normal!

Give me a notes or manuscript person every time if they really have something to say.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/18/21 12:53 pm

Post One member said to a pastors wife roughridercog
"I notice your husband uses notes to preach. I don't think a preacher called my God and anointed by the Holy Ghost needs to use notes."

The wife replied, "Oh, honey, if he doesn't use notes, he will go for two hours straight."

The member replied, "I guess notes ain't a bad thing then."

True story.
2/19/21 7:57 am

Post Re: One member said to a pastors wife Cojak
roughridercog wrote:
"I notice your husband uses notes to preach. I don't think a preacher called my God and anointed by the Holy Ghost needs to use notes."

The wife replied, "Oh, honey, if he doesn't use notes, he will go for two hours straight."

The member replied, "I guess notes ain't a bad thing then."

True story.

Smile Smile Smile Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/19/21 10:19 am

Post Reminds me of the story... Aaron Scott
A preacher was asked about preaching at a special service. He was asked how long it would take him to get ready to preach a 15 minute sermon. He said, "Two weeks."

When ask how long to prepare for a thirty-minute sermon, he replied, "One week."

When asked about a 45-minute sermon, he said, "Four days."

Finally, in exasperation, the person asked, "Well, how long to prepare for a two-hour sermons?"

He replied, "I'm ready right now!"
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/19/21 11:40 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic