Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Politics/Economics vs. Christianity...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Politics/Economics vs. Christianity... Aaron Scott
Most of us are probably conservatives. And that typically means we are against universal health care or Obama Care, etc.

Let me ask a sincere question (one which I ask myself):

Is our objection to universal healthcare or single-payer healthcare based on our politics, our economic concerns, or our Christianity? Certainly, we cannot do all we would like to do for people, but all things being equal, WHY are you against universal healthcare, say?

As best I can tell, it is not only not contrary to Christianity, but it may actually be required by Christianity, per the Golden Rule.

And if you have been against it, please explain your thinking on the matter. Thanks.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/28/20 1:56 pm

Post Change Agent
I am for universal health care if we can afford it. I think Christianity requires it.

Some here don't want to touch your question Embarassed
Acts Enthusiast
12/30/20 9:54 am

Post Cojak
Change Agent wrote:
I am for universal health care if we can afford it. I think Christianity requires it.

Some here don't want to touch your question Embarassed

You hit the nail on the head, if the country can afford it.
I wondered when 'Obamacare' was instituted why like old Sanders said, do we not just increase Medicaid to cover all, the bureaucracy is already in place. But presently we cannot afford it without some real budget handling.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/30/20 2:03 pm

Post Jesus always put the obligation on individuals, never gov't. caseyleejones
We don't live in a theocracy so there is that.

Jesus always pointed towards the kingdom, not once towards government.
Acts-perienced Poster
12/30/20 3:16 pm

Post Re: Jesus always put the obligation on individuals, never gov't. Change Agent
[quote="caseyleejones"]We don't live in a theocracy so there is that.

Jesus always pointed towards the kingdom, not once towards government.[/quote]

Then why are some Christians after the government to promote Kingdom values and in fear if the right politicians are not in office?
Acts Enthusiast
12/30/20 3:56 pm

Post Peanut Butter
I am for an expansion of Medicaid where people who cannot afford health insurance can get the help they need. The money can come from ending so much money sent overseas. Help Americans first! Friendly Face
12/30/20 5:00 pm

Post If We Can Afford It????? spartanfan
Where have you been living at for the last 30 years? We can afford anything in the world that we want - we just print more money ourselves and buy it. The whole economy works by printing more money and buying whatever we want. You want a billion, a trillion, 222 trillion - no problem, just print it. We can send money to Pakistan, Egypt, Iraq- as much as we want, anywhere we want. We really should just print enough to make every American a millionaire - the money would end up right back in the economy. Brilliant! Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
12/31/20 11:41 am

Post Link
I do not believe early Christians could have interpreted Jesus' words to mean that they should use their political power to force the Roman government to redistribute wealth or take care of sick people. Of course, the Roman government was pagan, and the equivalent of some of their charity and social like organizations were organized in the name of false gods, fire departments, food distribution activities, etc. The government may have been involved in those somewhat.

I heard an interview with a researcher who had studied giving of liberals versus conservatives. Conservatives gave a much higher percentage of their income on average, especially those that go to church. Conservatives even gave a higher percentage of their income to environmental charities than liberals.

I have occasionally heard or read comments from liberals that Republicans or conservatives do not care about the poor or are unloving.

What seems to be the case is that some of the liberals think they are moral for supporting politicians that want to tax high income people, while conservatives give to causes they believe in.

I do not see where the Bible addresses these issues directly. The law did require certain social programs. One was to support Levites and priests and the tabernacle/temple system. Every third year, an extra 10% of crops were collected to distribute among Levite, widow, fatherless, and foreigner. Several of those groups would not have owned land, the means of production. One could walk into a farmer's field and gather grain or harvest fruit from a tree and eat it there without it being considered stealing.

In addition to that, the Law commanded the people to love one another, to led without interest, etc.

I suspect some Christians fall far short in realize what our moral obligation is toward others who are in need. In Job 31, Job defends how he treated the poor:

16 If I have withheld the poor from their desire, or have caused the eyes of the widow to fail
17 Or have eaten my morsel myself alone, and the fatherless hath not eaten thereof;

18 (For from my youth he was brought up with me, as with a father, and I have guided her from my mother's womb;)
19 If I have seen any perish for want of clothing, or any poor without covering;
20 If his loins have not blessed me, and if he were not warmed with the fleece of my sheep;
21 If I have lifted up my hand against the fatherless, when I saw my help in the gate:
22 Then let mine arm fall from my shoulder blade, and mine arm be broken from the bone.

These are some challenging thoughts. This isn't directly about health care, but it does show the obligation of one person who has worldly goods to share with those who do not have.

As far as modern health care goes, it is very expensive and more complicated than giving away some clothes or food.

I have heard and read the extreme attitude that taxes are the government stealing from citizens, and on the other extreme there are those who think you are immoral if you do not support big government programs.

But we as individual believers should consider our use of this world's goods and how we share them with others. The teaching of the word of God on this issue should focus on that-- as opposed to quoting a verse and going off on a diatribe about social programs one wants seen passed through Congress like some of the left-wing preaching I've draw attention to in a couple of threads.
Acts-perienced Poster
1/1/21 12:41 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic